Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

Translation

Translation.

1857. 5 February.Bay of Plenty District.This is a Deed of Sale of a certain portion of land at Whare Kahu, Maketu, The land now given up is on the south side of the Queen's land which was bought in the year 1844 and paid for by Mr. Shortland.
Wharekahu. These are the boundaries Commencing along the boundary of the Queen's (land) at the bend of the said boundary by the side of Ngatikereru's land thence running westerly Boundaries. [2a. 2r. 27p.] 221 links. The boundary of the piece now being sold commences at the hole which has been dug and marked A on the plan attached to this Deed thence the boundary runs south westerly 145 links the hole is dug and marked E in the plan turning thence it runs westerly to the marsh thro' which it runs till it joins the Queen's land at the place marked H on the plan turning thence it runs in a north easterly direction and along the Queen's boundary 98 links and when it reaches the bend of the said boundary by the swamp it turns again and runs along the said boundary south easterly until it reaches the commencement of the boundary marked A on the plan.
I, Tohi Te Ururangi entirely surrender to Victoria the Queen of England for ever my piece of land the boundaries of which have been recited above—Two acres two roods twenty seven poles is the extent of the Land—The consideration to be given to me is Receipt for £1 . 10 . 0. one pound ten shillings (£1 . 10 . 0) This money has been paid to me by Mr. Smith, Resident Magistrate of Rotorua on this day on the fifth of the days of February in the year 1857 at Maketu and we two sign our names to this document in confirmation of the words therein written.

Tohi Te Ururangi.
Thos. H. Smith, R. M.

Witness—

T. Chapman, Clerk, Missionary, Maketu.

A True Transcript of Office Copy of Original Deed and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, February 14th, 1876.