Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1891, No. 2.

[No. 486, 1889.—Petition of Kipa Te Whatanui.]

No. 486, 1889.—Petition of Kipa Te Whatanui.

Petitioner prays for a fresh investigation in the matter of Tekaroro, No. 2 F., in order that his claim to the portion called Te Waka may be recognised.

I am directed to report as follows: That the petitioner through the action of the Native Land Court has an undoubted grievance. The facts elicited are as follows—viz.: that on the 1st day of April, 1874, the Ngakaroro Block No. 2 was adjudicated on by the Native Land Court. The petitioner was admitted to be the owner of the portion of the block called Te Waka. He was led to believe that all he had to do was to get a survey made of the said portion, and bring the matter again before the Native Land Court when a title would be conferred on him. On the 22nd April, 1874, the list of owners for the block was handed in for the purpose of being placed on the records of the Court; the name of Kipa te Whatanui was, however, omitted therefrom. Subsequently, the matter was—more than once—brought before the Court by the petitioner, but, his name not being on the list of owners, his particular case could not be dealt with. All the official correspondence and memoranda on the subject admits the petitioner s case, and, in some instances, redress is promised. Taking these facts into consideration, the Committee is of opinion that the matter should be referred to the Government for inquiry and favourable consideration.

17th September, 1891.

[Translation.]
No. 486, 1889.—Pukapuka-inoi a Kipa Te Whatanui.

E inoi ana te kai-pitihana kia whakawakia ano Te Karoro, No. 2 F Poraka, kia tau tika ai ana take ki te wahi e kiia nei ko te Waka te ingoa.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei: Kahore i ruarua te whakaaro i tau ano tetahi mate ki runga i te kai-pitihana i runga i nga mahi a te Kooti Whenua Maori. Na ko nga take tenei. No te tahi o nga ra o Aperira, 1874, ka whakawakia te Ngakaroro Poraka No. 2 e te Kooti Whenua Maori a i whakaaetia ano te tika o te take a te kai-pitihana ki te Waka. A i runga i tana i rongo ai heoi te mahi mana he whakahau kia ruritia taua wahi a ka mau mai ano i tana keehi ki te aroaro o te Kooti kei reira ka whakatuturutia tana take ki aia. No te 2 o nga o Aperira, 1874, ka tukuna te rarangi ingoa o nga tangata whai take ki te Poraka kia tuhituhia ki roto i nga pukapuka o te Kooti, heoi mahue ake te ingoa o Kipa te Whatanui i roto i taua rarangi ingoa. I muri iho he maha nga mauranga mai e te kai-pitihana i tana keehi ki te aroaro o te Kooti erangi kihai i whakahaerea e te Kooti no te mea kihai tona ingoa i uru ki te rarangi ingoa o nga tangata whai take. Kotahi nei ia te mea e whakaaetia ana te keehi a te kai-pitihana e nga pukapuka o nga tari a kei etahi i whakaaetia kia tukuna tetahi ora ki aia. Akuanei i runga i te whiriwhiringa i enei take katoa e te Komiti e whakaaro ana ratou me tuku tenei pitihana ki te Kawanatanga kia uiuia nga tikanga me te ata whiriwhiri hoki e ratou i enei take.

17 o Hepetema, 1891.