The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Frasertown is situated in the county of Wairoa, at the junction of the Waiau and Wairoa rivers. It lies on the main road to Gisborne, is about four miles from Wairoa, seventy-six miles by road from Napier, and sixty-seven from Gisborne. There is a weekly communication by post with both Napier and Gisborne. The township possesses a recreation ground, where the annual show of the Wairoa Agricultural and Pastoral Association and athletic sports of all kinds are held. The local tennis club has its courts in these grounds. There is a church, two stores, and an excellent hotel in the township.
Te Kapu Rifle Club was formed in the year 1902, and has a membership of twenty-seven. Officers for 1905 are: President, Mr. J. Powdrell; Vice-President, Mr. S. Twigg; Captain, Mr. P. Chapman; Vice-Captain, Mr. T. Powdrell. Matches are held four times a year for donated trophies, and the club also engages in matches with other rifle clubs in Hawke's Bay. A large silver cup and page 430 various other trophies have been won by the club on different occasions. The range is situated at Frasertown.
Frasertown Public School, Frasertown.
Mr. Arthur Walden Soundy, Head-master of the Frasertown Public School, was born in November, 1878, at Hokitika, and is a son of Mr. Richard Soundy, head-master of the Dannevirke North School. He was educated, partly under his father at the Meanee public school, and afterwards at the local Boy's High School, subsequently serving as a pupil teacher under his father. He was then admitted to the training college, and twelve months later was transferred to the main school as a junior master. His ability as a teacher, and steady application to his duties gained for him speedy promotion; he became second assistant master of the school, and in 1905 received his present appointment. Mr. Soundy was a member of the Napier Guards, of which for some years he was an efficient marksman, and from a corporal he was transferred to the captaincy of the Napier City Defence Cadets. He takes a keen interest in athletics, and for some time was coach to the Clive Ladies' Hockey Club. He is further referred to as Captain and Adjutant of the No. 2 Battalion of the Wellington Defence Cadets.
Frasertown Hotel (Albert E. Beckett, proprietor), Frasertown. The first hotel in Frasertown was built in the early “seventies” by Mr. Thomas Beckett, who conducted it for many years. The present well-appointed hostelry was erected in 1901, and is a two-storeyed wooden building, fitted with all modern conveniences. The appointments and furnishings throughout are such as one rarely finds in an hotel outside a city. A wide balcony runs round the entire front of the building, the bedrooms overlooking which are fitted with French casement doors. The hotel has three entrances from the main street, and a concrete footpath has been formed all round the front of the building. The bar is stocked with the best brands of ales, liquors, spirits, and wines, special attention being paid to this department by the host in person. The dining room is capable of seating sixty guests, whilst the cuisine is of a very high standard, and the attendance excellent. This department is under the personal supervision of Mrs. Beckett, who spares no pains in attending to and satisfying the wants of tourists and the general public. There are eight bedrooms (exclusive of those in use by the household) and each room is well and comfortably furnished. There is also a billiard room, a commercial room, and several sitting rooms. The Frasertown Hotel is a most popular house of call, and Mr. Beckett is always on hand to attend to the wants of his many friends and customers. Pleasure seekers and tourists, fond of sport, hill climbing, or unsurpassed scenery, will experience pleasure in visiting this district, and can rest assured that everything possible will be done for their comfort and enjoyment.
Mr. Albert Edward Beckett, proprietor of the Frasertown Hotel, is a native of the district, and has been connected with the hotel nearly all his life. Mr. Beckett is treasurer of the Wairoa Agricultural and Pastoral Association, the Acclimatisation Society, and the Dog Trial Club; and is a member of the Frasertown Rifle Club, Racing Club, Tennis, Athletic, and Cricket Clubs.
Riverina Station is a property of 4,600 acres, of which 2,000 are freehold, and 2,400 Education reserve. It carries 5,000 cross-bred sheep and eighty head of cattle. The homestead stands on the river bank. “Riverina” is owned by Mr. Colin Munro, and his sons, Messrs W. C. and Duncan Munro.
Mr. Colin Munro, the proprietor of “Riverina,” was born in the year 1826, in Ross-shire, Scotland, where he was educated, and brought up to farming. He went to Australia in 1853, by the ship “Ida,” and managed a large station on the Murray river for twelve years. In 1869 he came to New Zealand, and purchased a farm in South Canterbury. This he worked for ten years, and then removed to Hawke's Bay, and settled on a run of 55,000 acres on the Taupo road. There he remained for ten years, and then acquired his present property.
Mr. W. C. Munro, was born in the year 1855, in Victoria, Australia, where he was educated, and afterwards accompanied his parents to New Zealand. He was a member of the Wairoa County Council for six years, and takes a keen interest in local affairs.
Mr. Duncan Munro was born in the year 1886, in Victoria, Australia. He came to New Zealand with his parents, and was educated in this Colony.
Taylor, Isaac Edward, Sheep-farmer, “Burnside,” Frasertown. Mr. Taylor operates a run of 950 acres, chiefly freehold property, about 100 acres of which is ploughable, and capable of yielding good root crops, oats, etc. 2,200 sheep are depastured, the majority of which are Lincoln cross-breds, with a sprinkling of Leicester cross-breds. Lambing averages about eighty-two per cent; the stock also includes 150 head of shorthorn cross-bred cattle. “Burnside” is situated four miles off the main road, and the homestead lies in a valley at the foot of the surrounding hills. Mr. Taylor was born in Wiltshire, England, in the year 1836, and came out to New Zealand in 1855, in the ship “Serge,” and landed in Wellington. In conjunction with others he chartered a small sailing boat, and went to Canterbury, and was for some time afterwards engaged in shepherding at Culverden. He first took up land on his own account on the banks of the Selwyn river, but later acted as manager for Mr. Owen, at Waimakiriri. Subsequently Mr. Taylor farmed at Rangitata, in partnership with the Rev. R. R. Bradley, also at Alford Forest, near Ashburton, and on the banks of the Ashburton river. He took up his present property in 1885. While in Canterbury he served on various road boards and other bodies, and is at present (1906) a member of the committee of the Wairoa Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and an annual exhibitor. Mr. Taylor married Miss Bradley, a niece of the Rev. R. R. Bradley, and has six sons and three daughters.
Mr. I. E. Taylor.