The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Maru Maru, in the county of Wairoa, is situated eleven miles from Wairoa, on the Tiniroto-Gisborne road. It was originally a military settlement, 110 veterans of the Maori war having been settled in the district, but at present (1966) the bulk of the property is native land. There is a store at Opoiti, two and a-half miles from the Maru Maru Hotel, which is also the local post office. The settlers in the district have a private telephone connecting with Frasertown. There is a weekly mail service between Napier and Gisborne. The wonderful Maru Maru caves are situated about two miles distant.
“Mangapoiki,” Maru Maru, Hawke's Bay, is a freehold property of 6,600 acres, chiefly rugged country, about 600 acres of which are ploughable and capable of producing root crops. The winter stock comprises about 7,000 Merino-Lincoln and Romney-Marsh cross-breds, while in the summer months upwards of 10,000 (including lambs) are depastured. There are also 100 head of cattle on the run. The property is well watered, being bounded considerably by the Makaretu and Mangapoiki rivers. The homestead is pleasantly situated in a forest of huge fir trees, and the dwelling house is a large two-storeyed modern wooden building. There is also a cottage and several good outbuildings.
Mr. Robert J. Couper, of “Mangapoiki,” was born on Khuranaki station, near Napier, and after finishing his schooling assisted his father on the home station, where he remained for a number of years. He took up his present property in the year 1885, where he has since resided. Mr. Couper has taken but little part in public affairs, but is a large shareholder in the Wairoa Dairy Factory and the Gisborne and Napier Freezing Works.
Mangaruhe Station is situated on the Wairoa river. It consists of 5,630 acres, bounded on two sides by the Mangaruhe and Wairoa rivers, and on the third by the Ruakituri station. It is stocked with 5,500 crossbred sheep, the annual yield of which averages 100 bales of wool. The land, being of papa formation, is excellent for sheep carrying.
Mr. Samuel, Twigg, managing owner of Mangaruhe station, is the page 432 eldest son of Mr. H. J. Twigg, of Petane, and has been at Wairoa since 1895. He was born at Petane in the year 1872, and was educated at the Napier High School. Mr. Twigg was for two years with the North British and Hawke's Bay Freezing Company. He then spent five years at Moeangiangi station, his father's estate, before acquiring his present property.
Perkins, George, Sheep-farmer, Maru Maru. Mr. Perkins is an old settler, and was, born in Wellington. He resided at the Hutt for over thirty years, during which time he worked an extensive saw-mill in that valley. He removed to Wairoa in the year 1888, purchased a station of 2,500 acres, and also established a general store, which he conducted for several years. Mr. Perkins subsequently removed to Maru Maru, where he has since successfully carried on sheep-farming. In public matters he has been closely connected with the various local bodies both at the Hutt and Wairoa. He was a member of the Hutt County Council for several years, and held the position of chairman for some time. On leaving the district for Wairoa the residents showed their appreciation of his services by presenting him with a handsome gold watch and illuminated address. In Wairoa he was a member of the local school committee, and secretary of the Wairoa Brass Band. Mr. Perkins is married and has two children.
Mr. G. Perkins.