Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Spike or Victoria University College Review June 1925

Men's Hockey Club

page 66

Men's Hockey Club.

"Delightful thought! ....
To teach the young idea how to shoot."


Great interest has been taken in the Hockey Club this year. resulting in a membership of over 40. thus enabling the Club to enter three fairly strong teams in the Wellington Hockey Association competitions.

Senior Team:—D. Waghorn, J. L. McDuff, W. P. Hollings. V. France, P. C. Fraser (Capt.), V. H. Thwaites, G. S. Simpson. C. H. Hain, A. M. Cousins, T. H. Paul, W. J. Lewis.

The team is without the services of Atkinson, Beere, Sykes, and Laurie, and consequently changes were necessary. Waghorn filled the goalie's position, McDuff moved to full-back, and Hain to the forwards. Paul, who played some seasons ago, again filled the inside left position, with Thwaites right half and Simpon right wing.

Although the results so far this season are not satisfactory, there is material in this team which, when developed with further practice, will make the combination a strong one. Matches played up to the end of May:—
  • V. Wakatu—Lost 5-1, Hain scored.
  • V. Hutt—Lost 6-1, Hain scored.
  • V. Wellington—Drawn 3-3. Paul (1) and Hain (2) scored.
  • V. Karori—Lost 4-1. Karori player kicked ball into our goal.
  • V. Wesley—Lost 4-3, Cousins (2) Lewis (1) scored.
Junior A.—Aldis, Eaves, Grant, James, Macarthur. Russell, Wilson, Young, Lucas, Kennard (Capt.), Warburton, Priestly. Results:—
  • V. Petone—Drawn. 2-2.
  • V. 'Varsity B—Won 7-0.
  • V. Karori—Lost 4-0.
  • V. Wakatu—Won 5-1.

This team is a fairly strong combination and ought to do well.

Junior B.—French, Maule. Hurley. Parker, Fielder, Foster, Wilson, Cousins, Bain (Capt.), Fraser, Davis, Reynolds. Results: —
  • V. Hutt—Lost 6-2.
  • V. Petone—Won 5-2.
  • V. 'Varsity A—Lost 7-0.
  • V. Training College—Won by default.

This team will combine well with more practice.

In the match between Auckland and Wellington University Colleges there was not a dull moment in the game, and a fast pace was maintained until "no side" was announced. The Auckland side were a formidable combination, and gave the better exhibition of hockey. Although each team scored three goals, the local eleven were not quite the equal in several departments to the Aucklanders. They did not possess the combination of the visitors, and. another thing, their stick-work and tackling were not as smart and clean. The Wellington men, however, were always dangerous when they reached their opponents' circle, whereas the Aucklanders missed several excellent opportunities of scoring through erratic shooting. Soon after "bully-off "Auckland invaded the Wellington circle, and but for good work by Waghorn, the 'Varsity goalie, would have scored twice within five minutes of the start. The ground made play a little difficult, but nevertheless the visitors displayed excellent stick-work. With a sweeping rush up field, the Auckland vanguard carried all before them, and a goal looked imminent. A misjudged shot, however, saw the ball fly just wide of the net. Wellington now took a turn at attack, and Cousins (centre forward) narrowly missed scoring from a good centre by Paul. Shortly afterwards, though, the Wellington men were back in the Auckland circle, and from a scramble Lewis, the left winger, found the net with a good shot. Wellington 1, Auckland 0. A melee in front of the local goal saw B. Hunt, left wing, open Auckland's scoring account. Wellington 1, Auckland 1. From the ensuing "bully" Wellington took the ball down field, and Cousins netted, to bring his side once more in the lead. Wellington 2, Auckland 1. Wellington were now playing better, but no further score resulted before half-time. After the interval, Wellington opened promisingly, but over-eagerness spoilt a likely chance of scoring. The visitors' tackling was deadly, and they forced Wellington back to their circle, where a smart stroke by Radcliffe saw the ball go right through the defence and into the net. Wellington 2, Auckland 2. In succeeding play Cousins, with a clink- page 67 ing shot, placed another goal to Wellington's credit. Wellington 3, Auckland 2. The Auckland men battled hard, and good combined play enabled W. Wilson, on the right, to notch a fine goal just before "time" sounded, making the final score read: Wellington 3, Auckland 3.

Mr. R. Lloyd was referee.

The visitors were entertained at a dinner at Barrett's Hotel in the evening after the match.

The thanks of the Club are due to the following for donations received: Messrs. S. Eichelbaum. W. B. Brown, P. C. Eraser, L. J. Maule, and N. A. Foden.