Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Spike: or, Victoria College Review, October 1909

The Gymnasium

The Gymnasium.

Victoria College has a gymnasium and social hall. After years of working and waiting the gymnasium committee has at last seen its efforts completed and has handed over to the Students' Association a building such as the College has long needed: on the top floor a large room for use as a gymnasium or for dancing purposes, a caretaker's room, a locker room, and a men's dressing room; and on the ground floor a large assembly hall with a stage, a "kitchen," a committee room and the women's dressing room.

With the waving of many coloured flags, much speechmaking, photographers in plenty and afternoon tea, the building was formally opened on the afternoon of Saturday, 24th July, 1909. The ceremony was performed by the Hon. Geo. Fowlds, Minister for Education and Official Visitor to Victoria College. The hall on the ground floor was filled with a profusion of gay millinery, drab sac suits and irreverent students. Professor von Zedlitz was the representative of the Professorial Board for the occasion, Mr. H. F. von Haast sat to the Free Lance artist on behalf of the College Council; Professor T. A. Hunter represented the original gymnasium committee; and F. A. Wilson the Students' Association. All these people made speeches—in addition, of course, to the Hon. Mr. Fowlds. After the speech-making—duly misreported in the daily papers—the visitors partook of afternoon tea, inspected the building and took their leave.

Since its erection, the building has been used by the various College societies for their different meetings and for training and dancing purposes.

£70 is still owing on the building.