The Spike: or, Victoria College Review, October 1909
On Capping Day there departed from Wellington W. H. Wilson, B.A., LL.M., of ours (better known as "Spike"). He was one of the older generations of students who have done much for the welfare of the College and whose labour has been its own reward. We are pleased to have the opportunity of putting on record our appreciation of what "Spike" Wilson has done for Victoria College. As Editor of the Spike in 1905 and 1906 and Vice-President of the Students' Association in 1906 and 1907, his influence was all for the good; a broad-mined student, a deep thinker and a hard and conscientious worker of the type of which Victoria College needs more to-day. W. H. Wilson is a pleasing example of a type of student unfortunately too rare, the student whose degree course serves but to stimulate his interest in his studies and who rightly regards his studies as little more than begun when his degree is completed. He is at present in Auckland in the office of Mr. F. E. Baume, K. C. May he enjoy his years.
Another of the older body of students—Arch. Tudhope, LL. B., has also left Wellington; Tudhope has commenced practice in Tauranga. His record at College deserves a mead of praise and thanks. For three years he served on the Debating Society committee; he was one of the members of the first Victoria College Football team, in 1903, and was a member of the Football Club Committee for two years. At the Tournaments of 1904, '1905 and '1906 he was one of our Athletic representatives. He was also an active member of the Tennis Club, playing for College in the inter-Club competitions. He is indeed one of those to whom Victoria College owes much and to him too we extend our thanks. May he too enjoy his years.
The slackness of employment in the City during the winter months resulted in substantial benefit to Victoria College. As a result of representations made to the Ministry, and much is due to the good offices of Mr. R. C. Kirk, a number of the unemployed were given work at Victoria College. The unskilled labourers removed the unsightly hillocks on the northern side of the College and cleared the gorse from the face of the cliff; they also did some excavating about the gymnasium thereby decreasing the possibility of the gymnasium being hurled by an avalanche to the tennis courts below; the carpenters were given work fitting up the "hop floor on the top floor" as a class room and also in marking several improvements and additions, chiefly in the shape of exits, to the gymnasium. The Students' Association spent the sum of twenty-five pounds as their share of the cost of the work at the gymnasium and also organised a concert given during the short vacation in the Concert Chamber of the Town Hall. This Concert resulted in a net profit of £35 for the Mayor's Relief Fund.
The Battle of the Bans.
The usual prizes for Cappint Songs were again offered by the Students' Association this year. Not half a dozen songs were entered for the Competition and many of the songs actually sung were not handed in until some time after the announcement of the award. The result of this was that the consideration of the songs and their subsequent printing were left till the last minute—the Committee's only other alternative being to omit them altogether. It is to be hoped that next year the song writers will consider the convenience of others more than their own. Perhaps they wait for inspiration; to judge by the results, their wait this year was in vain.
The annual meeting of the Athletic Club attracted the largest attendance on record at that Club's annual meetings; there were over twenty students present and it was apparent that most of these were enthusiasts. It is hoped that this is a sign for better things for the future and an auspicious omen for Easter 1910. The meeting recommended the Committee to institute an inter-faculty contest in connection with the annual sports meeting and this is to be done. It should certainly arouse greater interest than existed last season. We trust page 70 that students will not be afraid of trying; we know not what champions we may not have in our midst. Especially is it to be remembered that competitors in the field events will be welcomed with the open arms. Therein lies an easy t road to representative honours. The officers of the Athletic Club for the year are: Club Captain—A. H. Bogle, Hon. Sec.—J. L. Short, Hon. Treas. Rigg, Committee—A. T. Duncan and C. H. Strack.
Victoria College has a gymnasium and social hall. After years of working and waiting the gymnasium committee has at last seen its efforts completed and has handed over to the Students' Association a building such as the College has long needed: on the top floor a large room for use as a gymnasium or for dancing purposes, a caretaker's room, a locker room, and a men's dressing room; and on the ground floor a large assembly hall with a stage, a "kitchen," a committee room and the women's dressing room.
With the waving of many coloured flags, much speechmaking, photographers in plenty and afternoon tea, the building was formally opened on the afternoon of Saturday, 24th July, 1909. The ceremony was performed by the Hon. Geo. Fowlds, Minister for Education and Official Visitor to Victoria College. The hall on the ground floor was filled with a profusion of gay millinery, drab sac suits and irreverent students. Professor von Zedlitz was the representative of the Professorial Board for the occasion, Mr. H. F. von Haast sat to the Free Lance artist on behalf of the College Council; Professor T. A. Hunter represented the original gymnasium committee; and F. A. Wilson the Students' Association. All these people made speeches—in addition, of course, to the Hon. Mr. Fowlds. After the speech-making—duly misreported in the daily papers—the visitors partook of afternoon tea, inspected the building and took their leave.
Since its erection, the building has been used by the various College societies for their different meetings and for training and dancing purposes.
£70 is still owing on the building.