Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume Two

[Deeds—No. 210.]

page 428

Deeds—No. 210.

Waihoanga No. 4 Block (Reservein), Otaki District.

1877. 7 February.Otaki District.This Deed made the seventh day of February, 1877, between Her Majesty Queen Victoria of the one part, and Haimona te Keho, Huriana te Horohau, Ihaia MotunauWaihoanga No. 4 Reserve. and Meretini Hape of Otaki Aboriginal Natives of the Colony of New Zealand, (hereinafter called "the Vendors ") of the other part, witnesseth, that in consideration of the sum of fifty Pounds (£50. 0. 0), by Her Majesty paid to the Vendors on theReceipt for £50. execution hereof (and the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged), the Vendors do, and each of them doth, hereby surrender, convey, and assure unto Her said Majesty, all that block or parcel of land in the Otaki District, in the Provincial District of Wellington, containing Two hundred acres or thereabouts, known or called Waihoanga No. 4, as the same is more particularly described in the Schedule hereto, and delineated on the plan drawn on this Deed and coloured red; together with all rights and appurtenances thereto belonging or appertaining; being all that portion of land excepted from sale in a certain deed of conveyance to the Crown of the Waihoanga No. 4 Block bearing date the third day of December 1874 save and except the portion reserved for Samuel Cook h.c. Frank Cook h.c. and George Cook h.c. and the portion reserved for James Wallace h.c. by the said deed of conveyance To hold the said land and premises with the appurtenances unto Her said Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, for ever. In Witness whereof the Vendors have hereunto set their hands the day and year first above written.

Haimona te Keho.
Huriana Tehorohau.
Ihaia Motunau.
Mere tini Hape.

Signed by the said Ihaia Motunau and Meretini Hape the same having first been read over and explained to them by an Interpreter of the Court and they appearing fully to understand the meaning and purport of the same. In the presence of—

James Booth, R.M.
Richard Booth.

Signed by the said Haimona te Keho the same having first been read over and explained to him by an Interpreter of the Court and he appearing fully to understand the meaning and purport of the same in the presence of—

H. Halse, Judge of the Native Land Court.
J. E. Grace, Licensed Interpreter N.L. Court, Wellington.

Signed by the said Huriana Te Horohau, the same having been first read over and explained to her by an Interpreter of the Court, and she appearing fully to understand the meaning and purport of the same. In the presence of—

J. M. Roberts, R.M.
Richard Booth.

Schedule.

Boundaries. [200 acres.]Bounded towards the North by other portion of the said Waihoanga No. 4 Block and by Waihoanga No. 1b Block; towards the East by other portion of the said Waihoanga No. 4 Block; towards the South and West by the Otaki river.

Statement in Maori of Contents of within Deed.

Maori précis.He Pukapuka tenei i tuhia i te 7 o nga ra o Pepuere 1877 hei tohu kua hokona rawatia e Haimona te Keho, e Huriana te Horohau, e Ihaia Motunau mo Meretini Hape o Otaki tangata Maori o Niu Tireni ki a Kuini Wikitoria me ana uri i muri i a ia mo nga moni £50 kua utua e Te Kuini ki aua tangata kai-hoko tera whenua katoa kei Otaki tona nui 200 eka hira ake iti iho ranei ko te ingoa ko Waihoanga No. 4 e mau ana te mapi ki te taha o tenei pukapuka kua taia ki te kara whero Ara ko tera wahi whenua katoa, i kapea ki waho o te Hokonga ki a te Kuini, o Waihoanga No. 4 i te Pukapuka Hoko i tuhia i te 3 o nga ra o Tihema 1874 haunga ia te wahi i kapea i runga i taua Pukapuka hoko mo Samuel Cook h.c. mo Frank Cook h.c. me George Cook h.c. me te wahi hoki i kapea i runga i taua Pukapuka hoko mo James Wallace h.c. Ko nga rohe koia tenei: ki te Rahi he wahi ano no taua Poraka o Waihoanga No. 4 me Waihoanga No. 1; ki te Rawhiti he wahi ano no taua Poraka o Waihoanga No. 4; ki te Tonga me te Rato ko te awa o Otaki.

T. E. Young,
Interpreter under "The Native Land Act, 1873."

Trust Commissioner's certificate. I, Charles Heaphy, the Trust Commissioner under "The Native Lands Frauds Prevention Act, 1870," for the District of Wellington, do hereby certify that I have, in page 429respect to the within-written Instrument and the alienation thereby witnessed, made the enquiries directed by the said Act, and do certify that I am satisfied with the result of such enquiries.

Charles Heaphy,
Trust Commissioner.

Dated this 4th day of July, 1877.

No. 27606.

Received 2 p.m. Friday, 13th July, 1877.Registration.

W. F. Cheesman,
Dep. Reg. of Deeds.

Recorded 46 Vol. Deeds, fo. 278.
Index, 28 Vol., fo. 182.

A True Copy of Original Deed, Maori Précis, Certificate, and Registration.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington,September 19th, 1877.