Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Deeds—No. 272.]

Deeds—No. 272.

Puatainga Block, West Coast, Manukau District.

1854. 23 March.Manukau District.Ko te tuhituhinga o tenei pukapuka i te 23 o nga ra o Maehe i te tau 1854 te whakaaetanga o Ihaka raua ko te Manihera nga Rangatira o te Akitai me Ngatiwhatua, te Puatainga. whakaaetanga ano hoki o te Kuini o Ingarangi mona, na ka whakaae nei maua te hunga page 329no raua te kainga e whakaaetia ana i tenei Pukapuka, kia hokona tenei kainga ki a Kuini Victoria hei utu mo nga moni £100 kua homai nei ki o maua ringaringa, a e whakaae ana ano te Kuini o Ingarangi mona kia utua mai ano ki nga Tangata Maori i nga moni 10 per cent. on sales to be expended on Native purposes. ana hokona ki te Pakeha kia tekau pauna o te Rau e hoki mai mo enei mea hei utu kura akonga mo o matou Tamariki, hei hanga Ohipera, hei rongoatanga mo o matou turoro, hei utu mo nga Rata rongoa i a matou, hei hanga mira mo matou hei moni hoatu mo o matou Rangatira Maori a mo nga mea katoa e uru ai nga Tangata Maori nokonei ka hoatu nei ka tuku atu nei ki a Victoria te Kuini o Ingarangi me nga Kingi me nga Knini me ona uri i muri i a ratou ake ake tenei whenua me ona aha me ona aha ko nga rohe enei, To Boundaries. te Tonga kei Raupo Tamaki a puta noa ki te tuauru koia ko te raina o Kuiui o te hokonga o Te Pae o te Rangi to the Hauauru kei te Moananui o te tuauru to the Hauraro kei te Tawahuaroa te haerenga i te moananui a te Poka i keria i te taukaka i Wahieroa haere tonu Te Puhia te wahatahi te Tipaka a wairere ko ia he awa a haere tonu i te awa a eke noa ki Raupo Tamaki, koia te Marangai ko Raupo Tamaki kua tuhituhia te ahua o tenei whenua ki tenei Pukapuka.

Manirahe.
Ihaka Taka anini.

Kai titiro—

John White, Interpreter.
Andrew Sinclair, Clerk, Survr. Genl.'s Office.

Kua riro mai i a maua nga moni £100 kua whakaaetia i tenei Pukapuka i tenei ra iReceipt for £100. te 23 o Maehe i te tau 1854 koia o matou ingoa i tuhia ai e matou.

Manirahe.
Ihaka Taka anini.

Kai titiro—

John White, Interpreter.
Andrew Sinclair, Clerk, Survr. Genl.'s Office.

Translation.

This Deed entered into the 23rd March in the year 1854 the consenting of Ihaka and Manihera, Chiefs of the Akitai and Ngatiwhatua the consenting also of the Queen of 1854. 23 March.Puatainga. England on her part. Now we the owners of the land set forth in this Deed do agree to sell this land to Queen Victoria for the sum of 100 pounds now given into our hands it is further agreed to by the Queen of England on her part that there shall be paid for the following purposes that is to say for the Founding of Schools in which persons of 10 per cent. on sales to be expended on Native purposes. our race may be taught for the Construction of Hospitals in which the persons of our race may be tended for the payment of Medical Attendance for us for the Construction of Mills for us for the Annuities for our Chiefs or for other such like purposes in which the Natives of this Country are interested Ten per Cent. or Ten Pounds out of every Hundred Pounds out of Monies from time to time received for their land when resold, For this we give up and make over to Victoria Queen of England her Heirs and Successor for ever this land and all thereto belonging for ever and ever.
The Boundaries are these, on the South from Raupo Tamaki to the Coast being the Boundaries. Government boundary of the purchase of the Pae-o-te-Rangi on the West by the Sea Shore on the North from Tawahuano being on the Sea beach thence to the Puma thence to the Wahatahi thence to Tipaka and on to Wairere being a Creek continuing on that Creek until it joins Raupo Tamaki Raupo Tamaki being the Eastern boundary.

A sketch of this Land is on this Deed.

(Sd.) Manihera.
(Sd.) Ihaka Taka anini.

Witnesses—

John White, Interpreter.
Andrew Sinclair, Clerk; S.G.O.

Received by us the sum of £100 Pounds as agreed to in this Deed on the 23rd dayReceipt for £100. of March 1854 hence our signing these our names.

(Sd.) Manihera.
(Sd.) Ihaka Taka anini.

Witnesses—

(sd.) John White, Interpreter.
" Andrew Sinclair, Clerk; S.G.O.

A True Copy of Original Deed and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, July 21st, 1875.