The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Batson, Cyril William, Family Butcher, Main Street East, Palmerston North. This business was established in the year 1888, and was acquired by the present proprietor in the year 1906. The shop is a large one, with the latest appointments, and there is a convenient office attached with telephone (No. 25) connection. At the rear is the manufacturing room, with an up-to-date plant driven by four and a half-horse power Crossley gas engine. The shop is kept scrupulously clean, and only the best quality of meat is sold. Two carts are employed in connection with the business. Mr. Batson was born in the year 1884 in Invercargill, where he was educated at the public schools, and afterwards learned the butchery trade at Riverton, which he has almost continuously followed. For two years he was employed as a journeyman near New Plymouth, and after a brief experience in bush felling in the Rai Valley, between Marlborough and Nelson, he removed to Palmerston North and acquired his present business.
Collin and Hall (F. Collin and F. W. Hall), Family Butchers, Terrace End, Palmerston North. This business was established by Mr. Wingate, of Longburn, and was acquired by the present proprietors in the year 1906. The premises consist of a large shop (fitted with two blocks and marbletop counters), and a manufacturing room, where the machinery is driven by a five-horse power gas engine. The firm supply only the best quality of meat, and do a large business. Two delivery carts are employed in connection with the business.
Mr. Fred Collin was born in Leicester, England, in the year 1879, was educated at Alderman Newton's High School, and afterwards apprenticed to the butchery trade. In October, 1904, he came to New Zealand, and was employed as a journeyman in the Levin Co-operative Butchery. Thence he removed to Palmerston North, and found employment with Messrs. Dixon Brothers until he page 687 started his present business in partnership with Mr. Hall.
The Manawatu Meat and Cold Storage Company, Limited (R. S. Abraham, chairman, and C. F. Carter, manager), was established in June, 1906, and is now the largest meat firm in North Wellington. The abattoir and three retail shops are conducted by the firm, whose head-quarters are situated in the Square. The main shop, a two-storeyed building, occupies a site near the Bank of Australasia, and is conveniently appointed and kept scrupulously clean. At the rear is a freezing chamber (measuring eight feet by ten feet), which is furnished with a half-ton Humble Freezer, an eight-horse power gas engine, and a four-horse power boiler for supplying hot water. The first floor contains well-appointed offices. Eleven persons and five delivery carts are employed in connection with the business. The firm sell only the best meat, all of which is killed at the abattoir, and a large turnover is done.
Mr. Charles Frederick Carter, J.P., Managing Director of the Manawatu Meat and Cold Storage Company, Limited, was born at Carterton. in the Wairarapa, in the year 1865. was educated at the public school at Foxton, and at nineteen years of age became a partner in his father's butchery business there. He remained as partner in the firm of Messrs. John Carter and Sons for seven years, and then for about eight years followed farming pursuits in conjunction with his brother on the Moutoa estate. In the year 1899 he established the Shannon Meat Company, which he conducted for five years, when he sold out to his brother, Mr. S. W. Carter, and removed to Palmerston North. In partnership with Mr. Rawstron he bought Mr. Reed's business in the Square, the firm being known as Messrs. Carter and Rawstron, and in 1906 this business was taken over by The Manawatu Meat and Cold Storage Company, Limited, in which the partners became directors. Mr. Carter is a member of the Jockey Club, the Bowling Club, and the Masonic Order. He is married, and has two children.
The Palmerston North Abattoir is situated at Awapuni, about two miles and a half from the town, and was established by the Manawatu Meat and Cold Storage Company, Limited, under arrangement with the borough council, in the year 1906. The abattoir is a substantial brick structure, up-to-date in every respect, and the men's dining rooms and the manager's and inspector's offices are in a detached building. There are spacious and efficient sheep and cattle pens, each butcher having his own division; these are covered in with silverite roofing, and have solid concrete floors. The institution has also six freezing chambers, the machinery plant for which consists of a thirty-five horse power suction gas engine and a six-ton Linde freezer. Water is laid on to all the pens and throughout the abattoir. An area of twelve acres is reserved for accommodation for cattle and sheep, and this is divided into five paddocks. At the rear of the abattoir is a two-storeyed building containing large boiling down works and bone mills. The average output of the abattoir approximates 250 cattle, 1,200 sheep, thirty-five pigs, and fifty calves per month. Eight persons are employed in the abattoir.