The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Beattie, Lang and Company, Indent Merchants, Dairy and General Produce Exporters, Cuba Street, Palmerston North. This well-known firm was founded in the year 1902, in Wellington, and in the following year a branch was opened in Palmerston North. In 1907 the head-quarters were removed to Woodville. The firm own the Hawke's Bay Dairy Company, which control large up-to-date butter factories at Dannevirke and Mangatafnoka, and a cheese factory at Marton, together with creameries in the surrounding districts. The company was formed by the amalgamation of the Crown Dairy Company at Woodville with the dairying interests of Messrs. Beattie, Lang and Company. The managing directors are Messrs. C. R. Beattie, J. T. Lang, and J. B. Veale, the latter of whom was for some years manager of the Crown Dairy Company. For the year 1906–07 the firm exported 700 tons of butter and seventy tons of cheese; their butter brands are “Crown” and “Eclipse,” and their brand for cheese is “Eclipse.” They also manage this United Co-operative Dairy Company's factory at Waverley, which turns out 200 tons of butter annually. Messrs. Beattie, Lang and Company are agents for the famous “Eclipse” dairy salt, and they are the sole agents in New Zealand for the well-known London firm of Messrs. Lovell and Christmas, to whom they make large consignments of produce. The firm also deal considerably in property, and have a good selection of residential and business sections, as well as country properties, on their lists.
Mr. Cyril Robert Beattie, of Messrs. Beattie, Lang and Company, was born in London in the year 1863, and came to New Zealand in 1893. Until 1899 he was engaged in dairy farming, and then took up the secretaryship of the National Dairy Association in Wellington. In 1903 he joined Mr. Lang in partnership in the present firm.
Mr. Joseph Tilson Lang, Manager of the Palmerston North branch of Messrs. Beattie, Lang and Company, was born in Ireland in the year 1862. He was educated at the Model School, in Belfast, and then had four years of commercial experience before coming to New Zealand in 1881. For two years he farmed with his brothers at Papakura, near Auckland, and then entered upon the dairying industry. For some years he was in the Pukekohe cheese factory, and in 1892 entered the service of the Government dairying division as grader and instructor. In the year 1900 he resigned to become manager, in Palmerston North, for Messrs. J. Nathan and Company, and three years later joined Mr. Beattie in the establishment of their present business. Mr. Lang is a member of the executive of the Chamber of Commerce, a member of the committee of the Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and takes a keen interest in public affairs.
Melsop, Eliott and Company, General Merchants, Share-brokers, and Manufacturers' Agents, Land, Estate, Shipping, Insurance, Finance, and General Commission Agents, Valuers, and Auditors, The Square, Palmerston North. This busines was established in the year 1897 by Mr. Melsop and Captain Mowlem. under the name of the Manawatu Land Agency. The land business was the chief interest of the firm until 1903, when, on the retirement of Captain Mowlem, Mr. Eliott joined page 688 the firm, since when their connection as general merchants, manufacturers' agents, etc., has rapidly grown. The present premises, which occupy a site of one-eighth of an acre, next the Bank of New Zealand, became the freehold property of the firm. The building contains a fine suite of offices, a strong room, and a warehouse. The firm are agents for: The New Zealand Accident Insurance Company, The Live Stock Insurance Company of New Zealand, the Yorkshire Fire Insurance Company, the Australian Widows' Fund Life Insurance Society, Limited, the Thames and Mersey Marine Insurance Company, the Shaw, Savill and Albion Shipping Company, the Canadian-Australian Steamship Company, the Orient Royal Mail Steamship Company, the Foxton-Wellington line of steamers. Bowron Brothers and Company, Limited (leather merchants, Christchurch), Mason, Struthers and Company, Limited (Christchurch). Duckworth, Turner and Company, Limited (Christchurch) Skelton, Frostick and Company, Limited (Christchurch), Sydney Smith and Sons (Christchurch), the Anchor Fence Company of New Zealand, William Ross and Son (rope and twine makers, Foxton), and J. Newton and Son, soap manufacturers. They are also large buyers of wool, skins, hides and tallow, and transact business from New Plymouth and Gisborne in the north, to Wellington in the south.
Mr. Harold Crispe Mellsop was born in Waiuku, Auckland, in December, 1864, and is the eldest son of a Maori war veteran, who came to New Zealand in the year 1849, and organised the first defence corps in Auckland, known as the Forest Rangers. He was educated at the public schools and brought up to farming pursuits, and at eighteen years of age joined the service of the Bank of New Zealand as a junior. After serving in various branches in the Dominion he was appointed teller in the Palmerston North branch in 1893, and four years later resigned to establish his present business. Mr. Mellsop is a life member of the Agricultural and Pastoral Association, a member of the Manawatu Racing Club, and was a volunteer for some years. In 1893 he married Miss C. E. M. Harrison, M.A., formerly principal of the Wanganui College, who has been appointed secretary of the New Zealand branch of the Ladies' Golf Union, of England.
Mr. Meldrum Alfred Eliott, who was born in Wellington, in No vember, 1869, is a grandson of the late G. Eliot Eliott, secretary to the General Post Office. He was educated at the Auckland College and Grammar School, and the Auckland University, and then gained commercial experience on the clerical staff of Messrs. Alfred Buckland and Sons, of Auckland, with whom he remained for ten years. He then removed to Palmerston North, as chief clerk and accountant to Messrs. Barraud and Abraham, and eight years later resigned to join Mr. Mellsop in establishing their present business. Mr. Eliott takes a keen interest in astronomical studies, and is vice-president of the Manawatu Philosophical Society, member of the Agricultural and Pastoral Association, a Freemason, and served in the O Battery of Artillery, Auckland. He is married, and has two children.
Mr. M. A. Eliott.