The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Hatuma is a farming settlement in Waipawa county, situated on the railway line, forty-eight miles south-west from Napier. It was formerly the property of an absentee landlord, who worked it with a few shepherds, and was acquired by the Government for closer settlement in the year 1900. Mixed farming is carried on in the district, and many thousand acres have been laid down in permanent English grasses. The township has a public school, and a post office with a telephone bureau.
Jensen, Axel Thorval, Farmer and Contractor, Hatuma. Mr. Jensen secured part of his present property at the Government ballot in 1900, when the Hatuma estate was cut up for closer settlement. In 1906 he added a fine section, making up a total area of 484 acres. The land is nearly all level, and of first-class quality, suitable for both agriculture and pasturage. The winter stock comprises 1,400 sheep, and 2,000 are carred in the summer months. About sixty head of cattle are also depastured, and 100 acres are annually sown in crops. In addition to farming and dealing in live stock, Mr. Jensen does a considerable amount of contracting, including bush-felling and fencing, and employs a large number of men. He was born in Denmark in August, 1869, came to New Zealand in 1875, and was educated at the Norsewood public school. Mr. Jensen was subsequently for several years on his father's farm, and was afterwards engaged in farming and contracting in the Dannevirke and East Coast districts, in conjunction with his brothers, before taking up his present property. He is a member of the Hawke's Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Society and the Farmers' Union. Mr. Jensen is married, and has three sons and three daughters.
Kowhainui Farm is situated in the Hatuma settlement, four miles from Takapau. It comprises about 880 acres, and is held under a lease in perpetuity tenure. It is composed largely of undulating and hilly country, and about 400 acres are ploughable. The flock varies between 1,700 and 2,800, according to the season, and about 100 head of cattle are also depastured. About forty acres are annually placed under crop.
Mr. Leslie Henry F. Wilson, proprietor of Kowhainui farm, was born at Kimbolton, Huntingdonshire, England, in November, 1869. He was educated at Charterhouse, and for some years was employed as an accountant in London. At twenty-one years of age he came to New Zealand, and was employed for several years by Messrs Harry and Stuart Bridge, first as a cadet on “Ashcott,” and latterly as manager of their farm at Woodville. Mr. Wilson secured his present holding at the Hatuma ballot in 1901. He is a member of the local branch of the Farmers' Union.