The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Hebertville is situated on the sea coast, eighty-nine miles south from Napier, and is in the county of Patangata, in the provincial district of Hawke's Bay. The township was formerly known as Wainui, after the river running through the settlement, but was subsequently re-named Hebertville, in honour of Mr. Herbert, a very old settler, who gave the land for the local school and post office. Dannevirke is the nearest township on the railway line, from which there is a tri-weekly coach service, passing through Weber and Wimbleton, a total distance of fifty miles. Small coastal steamers ply from Napier and Wellington, and facilitate the shipping of wool from large sheep stations in the district. There is one hotel, a post office, and a public hall in the township.
Arataura Station (H. W. White, proprietor), Herbertville. “Arataura” comprises 4,500 acres, of which 1,000 acres are freehold property, and the remainder native land, held on a lease. It is strictly a sheep and cattle run, being hilly, but well-watered and sheltered, and is situated three miles from the sea coast, at an altitude of 1,000 feet above the level of the sea. The winter stock comprises 6,100 Romney Marsh-Lincoln cross-breds, and 500 head of polled Angus and short-horn cattle. Lambing averages about 100 per cent. In the summer season as many as 9,000 sheep have been depastured. There are two homesteads on the property, and a large wool shed, eighty feet long, is fitted with four Wolseley sheep-shearing machines. Spacious stock and sheep vards and other improvements have been erected within recent years.
Mr. Herbert William White, proprietor of “Arataura,” is the eldest son of the late Mr. John White. He was born in Porangahau, in November, 1872, and received his education at the Napier Boys' High School. Subsequently he was for three years with the firm of Messrs Levin and Company, merchants, of Wellington, after which he returned to his late father's station, “Oakburn.” He took up his present property in June, 1899. Mr. White is a member of the Farmers' Union, the Hawke's Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Society, and the Hawke's Bay Gun Club, and is vice-president of the Porangahau Racing Club and Football Club. He married a daughter of the late Mr. Edward Bibby, of Waipawa, in July, 1899, and has two sons and three daughters.
Mr. C. Herbert.
Woodbank Station (estate of the late Mr. Graham Speedy; Manager, W. H. Speedy), Herbertville. “Wood-bank” is a freehold property of 3,000 acres, of hilly sheep country, well-watered and sheltered, and situated about three miles west from Herbert-ville. It carries a winter stock of 6,000 Romney Marsh-Lincoln crossbreds, including 2,200 breeding ewes, and 400 head of short-horn cattle. Lambing averages ninety-five per cent. The wool-shed is stocked with six stands of Wolseley shearing machines, and there is a granary, stables, stock and sheep yards, and a dip. The homestead is pleasantly situated on a rise, surrounded by large trees, while in the foreground there is a well-kept lawn, tennis court, and numerous flower beds.
Mr. Walter Hutchinson Speedy, manager of “Woodbank,” was born in the year 1869, at Herbertville, and was educated there and at Wellington College. He is a member of the Farmers' Union, the Hawke's Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Society, and a member of the Committee of the Herbertville Cricket Club.