Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume Two

[Deeds—No. 75.]

page 235

Deeds—No. 75.

Mangahowhi, Block, Turakina, Rangitikei District.

This Deed made the fifteenth day of July one thousand eight hundred and seventy1873. 15 July.Rangitikei District. three Between Her Majesty Queen Victoria of the one part and Aperahama Tipae of Wanganui in the Province of Wellington an aboriginal Native of New Zealand (hereinafter called the Vendor) of the other part, Witnesseth that in consideration of the sumMangahowhi of one hundred and thirty nine pounds by Her said Majesty paid to the Vendor on the[Turakina.] execution hereof (and the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged) The Vendor dothReceipt for £139. hereby surrender convey and assure unto Her said Majesty all that piece or parcel of land situate on the left Bank of the Turakina River in the Province of Wellington aforesaid containing Two hundred and seventy eight acres and called or known by the name of "Mangahowhi" and is Bounded towards the North East by the Parae Karata Block a distance of two hundred and sixty five links, on the South East by the Parae Karata Block a distance of eight thousand six. hundred and sixty two licks towards the South West by Crown land a distance of three thousand nine hundred and seventy five links and on all other sides by the Turakina River, as the same is more particularly delineated in the plan drawn hereon and thereon colored red, Together with all the rights and appurtenances thereunto belonging or appertaining, To hold the said land and premises with the appurtenances unto Her Majesty her heirs and successors for ever. In Witness whereof the said Vendor hath hereunto set his hand the day and year first above written.

Aperahama Tipae x his mark.

Witness to mark—

Donald Hugh Monro.

Signed by the said Aperahama Tipae by making his mark in the presence of—

James Booth.
Meiha Keepa.
John C. Young, Licensed Native Interpreter, Whanganui.

To all to whom these presents shall come, I, Aperahama Tipae, of Wanganui, in theDeclaration of Aperahama Tipae. Province of Wellington, an aboriginal Native of New Zealand, send greeting. Whereas at a sitting of the Native Land Court held at Wanganui on the eighteenth day of June, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-three, it was ordered by the said Court that a certificate of the title of me the said Aperahama Tipae to a parcel of land on the left bank of the Turakina River, in the Province of Wellington, containing two hundred and seventy-eight acres, and known by the name of "Mangahowhi," more particularly described in the Schedule hereto, be issued to the Governor: And whereas at a sitting of the said Native Lands Court held at Wanganui aforesaid, on the said eighteenth day of June, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-three, it was ordered by the said Court that the presiding Judge thereto do report the opinion of the Court that it is not proper to place any restriction on the alienability of the aforesaid parcel of land, but that it is proper to attach a certain condition to the estate to be granted in the above-named block, that is to say, that the grantees shall not make any disposition of the said Block, or any part thereof, until he shall have executed a Deed declaring that the land therein comprised is held by him in trust for the benefit for the Ngatipaenga Hapu of the Ngatiapa tribe: Now know ye that in pursuance of the lastly hereinbefore recited order of the said Native Lands Court, I the said Aperahama Tipae do acknowledge and declare by these presents that the name of me the said Aperahama Tipae was made use of in the order of the Court lastly hereinbefore recited, and is intended to be made use of in the Crown grant to be hereafter issued in pursuance of such order of Court, In trust only for all the members of the Ngatipaenga Hapu of the Ngatiapa tribe of aboriginal Natives of New Zealand, their heirs and assigns, and I the said Aperahama Tipae do hereby for myself and for my heirs declare and agree that I and my heirs will stand seized and possessed of the parcel of land hereinbefore mentioned, and more particularly described in the schedule hereunder written, In trust and for the use and benefit of the said members of the Ngatipaenga Hapu of the Ngatiapa tribe, their respective heirs and assigns. In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal this fifteenth day of July, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-three.

Schedule referred to in foregoing Deed.

All that parcel of land situate on the left bank of the Turakina river in the ProvinceBoundaries. [278 acres.] of Wellington containing two hundred and seventy eight acres and bounded towards the North East by the Parae Karata Block a distance of two hundred and sixty five links, on the South East by the Parae Karata Block a distance of eight thousand six hundred and sixty two links towards the South West by Crown land a distance of three thousand nine hundred and seventy five links and on all other sides by the Turakina river. As the same is more particularly delineated in the plan drawn hereon and thereon colored red.

Aperahama Tipae x his mark.

Witness to mark—

Donald Hugh Monro.

Signed, sealed, and delivered by the said Aperahama Tipae in the presence of—

James Booth.
Meiha Keepa.
John C. Young, Licensed Native Interpreter, Whanganui.

page 236
I, John Charles Young, of Wanganui, in the Province of Wellington, in the Colony ofInterpreter's declaration. New Zealand, Licensed Native Interpreter, do solemnly and sincerely declare as follows:—
1.That I did faithfully interpret in the Maori language the above-written Deed to Aperahama Tipae, therein named and described, previous to his execution thereof, and that my translation was correct, and was understood by him.
2.That the said Deed was executed by the above-named party in the presence of me, this declarant, and of James Booth, of Wanganui aforesaid, Land Purchase Commissioner, and was executed on the day it bears date, being the fifteenth day of July, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-three.
3.That the name of John C. Young, set and subscribed to the said Deed, is of my proper handwriting, and that I am a duly qualified Licensed Native Interpreter under the Native Lands Act in force in this colony.
4.That the name James Booth, set and subscribed to the said Deed as one of the witnesses, is of the proper handwriting of the said James Booth, and that the said James Booth is a male adult. And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of an Act of the General Assembly of New Zealand intituled "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866."

John C. Young.

Declared at Wanganui aforesaid, this twenty-first day of July, One thousand eight hundred and seventy-three. Before me—

Chas. H. Borlase,

A Justice of the Peace in and for the Colony of New Zealand.
A True Copy of Original Deed and Declarations.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, March 16th, 1876.