Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Deeds—No. 482.]

page 680

Deeds—No. 482.

Tauhara (Middle) Block No. 1 (Nukuhau), Taupo District.

1870. 19 July.Taupo District.Tenei Pukapuka i tuhituhia i te kotahi tekau ma iwa (19th) o nga ra o Hurai Kotahi mano e waru rau e whitu tekau Na Te Poihipi Tukairangi Hamuera Takurua Paora Tauhara, Middle, No. 1. Nukuhau Tapuaeharuru. Hapimana Huriwaka Maniapoto Te Hina Popoki Te Kurupae me Ihakara Kahuao ko ratou katoa no te Takiwa ki Taupo i roto i te Porowini o Akarana He Tangata Maori no Niu Tireni o tetahi taha me Tona Rangatiratanga a Kuini Wikitoria o tetahi taha E Receiept for £400. Whakaatu ana mo te whakaarotanga ki nga moni e Wha Rau pauna ki taua Te Poihipi Tukairangi Hamuera Takurua Paora Hapimana Huriwaka Maniapoto Te Hina Te Kurupae me Ihakara Kahuao kua utua e tona Rangatiratanga te Kuini Ko Boundaries. [534 acres.] ratou ko taua Poihipi Tukairangi Hamuera Takurua Paora Hapimana Huriwaka Maniapoto Te Hina Popoki Te Kurupae me Ihakara Kahuao I roto o tenei Pukapuka ka tino Tuku atu nei ka tino whakatuturu atu nei ki tona Rangatiratanga Te Kuini ki nga Kingi Kuini ranei o muri i a ia ki ana hoki e tuku atu ai Katoa o taua piihi wahi whenua ranei i roto i te Takiwa ki Taupo ko te whenua hoki ia e huaina ana nei ki te ingoa nei ki Nukuhau Tapuaeharuru ko tetahi wahi hoki ia o te Whenua Puku o Tauhara (Waenganui) a ko tona rahinga i te ruritanga e Rima rau e toru tekau ma wha (534) eka hira atu iti iho ranei Ko ona rohe ka timata atu i te putanga atu o te Roto o Taupo ki roto ki te Awa ki Waikato ka ahu atu i reira whaka te Tonga ko te Roto ko Taupo e ono mano kotahi tekau (6010) riikt i te taha ki te Rawhiti ko tetahi raina e takoto ana ki ta te Kapehu e wha tekau ma toru Tikri (43° 0') e Rima mano e ono rau e rima tekau riiki (5650) i te taha ki te Hauauru me te Rawhiti ko tetahi raina e Rima mano (5000) riiki tutuki atu ki te Awa ki Waikato a i te taha ki te Hauauru me te Rato ko te awa ko Waikato tae atu ki te whakawhitinga i te putanga atu o Taupo Kua tino whakaatutia taua wahi whenua i runga i te mapi kua whaka[gap — reason: illegible]uatia ki tetahi taha o tenei pukapuka Huia hoki ki nga Tikanga me nga wahi me nga paanga katoa e pa ana e piri ana ranei ki taua piihi wahi whenua ranei Kia Tumau tonu atu taua wahi whenua me ona paanga katoa ki taua tona Rangatiratanga te Kuini ki nga Kingi Kuini ranei o muri i a ia ki ana ranei e tuku atu ai ake tonu atu—A hei tohu mo te whakaaetanga o taua Poihipi Tukairangi Hamuera Takurua Paora Hapimana Huriwaka Maniapoto Te Hina Popoki Te Kurupae me Ihakara Kahuao kua tuhia iho nei e ratou o ratou ingoa i te ra me te tau kua tuhia i te timatanga o tenei Pukapuka.

Na Te Poihipi Tukairangi.
Na te Popoki Te Kurupae.
Hamuera Takurua.
Na Ihakara Kahuao.
Hemopo.
Paora Hapi.
Mere Hapi.
Maniapoto.

I tuhia e taua Te Poihipi Tukairangi me Hamuera Takurua i muri iho o te whakamaoritanga me te whakamaramatanga o tenei pukapuka ki a raua i te aroaro o—

H. M. Hamlin, Licensed Native Interpreter, Clive.
Alex. Munro, Surveyor, Napier.

I tuhia e taua Popoki, Ihakara Kahuao Hemopo, Paora Hapimana i muri iho o te whakamaoritanga me te whakamaramatanga o tenei pukapuka ki a ratou i te aroaro o—

George Augustus Preece, Licensed Native Interpreter, Taupo. Saml. Begg, of Napier.

I tuhia e taua Mere Hapi me Maniapoto o raua ingoa i muri iho i te whakamaoritanga me te whakamaramatanga o tenei pukapuka ki a raua i te aroaro o—

Gilbert Mair, Licensed Interpreter, Tauranga.

13-4-1872.

Translation.

1870. 19 July.Taupo District.This Deed made the nineteenth (19th) day of July One thousand eight hundred and seventy Between Poihipi Tukairangi Hamuera Takurua Paora Hapimana Huriwaka Tauhara, Middle, No. 1. Maniapoto Te Hina Popoki Te Kurupae and Ihakara Kahuao all of the Taupo District page 681in the Province of Auckland Aboriginal Natives of New Zealand of the one part and Her Majesty Queen Victoria of the other part Witnesseth that in consideration of the sum of Four hundred Pounds to the said Poihipi Tukairangi Hamuera Takurua Paora Hapimana Huriwaka Maniapoto Te Hina Popoki Te Kurupae and Ihakara Kahuao Nakuhau Tapuaeharuru. paid by Her said Majesty the Queen They the said Poihipi Tukairangi Hamuera Takurua Paora Hapimana Huriwaka Maniapoto Te Hina Popoki Te Kurupae and Receipt for £400. Ihakara Kahuao Do hereby cede grant convey and assure unto Her said Majesty her successors and assigns All that piece or parcel of land situate in the Taupo District being the Block commonly called or known by the name of Nukuhau Tapuaeharuru being a portion of the Tauhara Block (middle) and containing by admeasurement Five hundred and thirty four (534) acres more or less commencing at Outlet of Taupo Lake Boundaries. [534 acres.] into Waikato River thence to the South by the Taupo lake six thousand and ten (6010) links thence to the East by a line bearing forty three degrees (43° 0') five thousand six hundred and fifty (5650) links thence to the North and East by at line bearing thirty one degrees thirty minutes (31° 30') five thousand (5000) links to the Waikato River thence to the North and West by the Waikato River to crossing at outlet of Lake as the same is delineated on the Plan drawn in the margin hereof Together with the Rights members and appurtenances to the parcel or Block of Land belonging or appertaining To Hold the same with the appurtenances unto Her said Majesty the Queen her successors and assigns for ever In Witness whereof the said Poihipi Tukairangi Hamuera Takurua Paora Hapimana Huriwaka Maniapoto Te Hina Popoki Te Kurupae and Ihakara Kahuao have hereunto subscribed their names the day and year first above written.

Na Te Poihipi Tukairangi.
Na Te Popoki Te Kurupae.
Na Hamuera Takurua.
Na Ihakara Kahuao.
Hemopo.
Paora Hapi.
Mere Hapi.
Maniapoto.

Signed by the said Poihipi Tukairangi and Hamuera Takurua the above Deed having been first Translated and explained to them in the presence of—
H. M. Hamlin, Licensed Native Interpreter, Clive.
Alex. Munro, Surveyor, Napier.

Signed by the said Te Popoki, Ihakara Kahuao Hemopo and Paora Hapimana the above Deed having been first Translated and explained to them in the presence of—
George Augustus Preece, Licensed Native Interpreter, Taupo.
Saml. Begg, of Napier.

Witness to signatures of Mere Hapi and Maniapoto—

Gilbert Mair, Licensed Interpreter.
Declaration of Interpretation marked A. attached.
Gilbert Mair, L.I.

[Declaration of Henry Martyn Hamlin]

I, Henry Martyn Hamlin, of Clive, in the Province of Hawke's Bay, do solemnly and Declaration of Henry Martyn Hamlin. sincerely declare that I am a duly licensed Interpreter under the Native Land Acts, 1865 and '67, and was present and did see Poihipi Tukairangi and Hamuera Takurua sign the within-written Deed of Conveyance, and that before they signed it I carefully interpreted and explained it to them, and the contents thereof were fully understood by them previous to their execution thereof, and that the said Deed of Conveyance dated 19th July, 1870, was signed by the said Poihipi Tukairangi and Hamuera Takurua on the nineteenth day of July, 1870, in the presence of myself the said Henry Martyn Hamlin and of Alexander Munro, of Napier, Surveyor, a male adult European, who subscribed our names as the attesting witnesses to their execution thereof. And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of the Native Lands Acts now in force in New Zealand.

H. M. Hamlin.

Declared at Napier this eighteenth day of October, 1870, in the presence of—

B. A. Ferard,

A Justice of the Peace for the Colony of New Zealand.

[Declaration of George Augustus Preece]

I, George Augustus Preece, of Taupo, in the Province of Auckland, do solemnly and Declaration of George Augustus Preece. sincerely declare that I am a duly licensed Interpreter under the Native Lands Acts now in force in New Zealand, and was present and did see the said Te Popoki, Ihakara Kahuao, Hemopo, and Paora Hapimana sign the within-written Deed of Conveyance dated 19th July, 1870, and that before they signed it I carefully interpreted and explained it to them, and the contents thereof were fully understood by them previous to their respective execution thereof and that the said Deed of Conveyance was signed by the said Te Popoki, Ihakara Kahuao, Hemopo, and Paora Hapimana on the nineteenth day of July, 1870, in the presence of myself the said George Augustus Preece and of Samuel Begg, of Napier, a male adult European, who subscribed our names as the witnesses of their execution thereof. And I make this solemn declaration conscien-page 682tiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of the Native Lands Acts now in force in New Zealand.

George Augustus Preece,
Licensed Interpreter.

Declared at Taupo this 19th day of. July, 1870, in the presence of—

S. Locke,

A Justice of the Peace for the Colony of New Zealand.

A.

Declaration of Gilbert Mair.I, Gilbert Mair, of Tauranga, in the Province of Auckland, in the Colony of New Zealand, do solemnly and sincerely declare that I am a Licensed Interpreter under the Native Lands Acts now in force in the said colony, and was present and did see Mere Hapi and Maniapoto, of Taupo, Province of Auckland aforesaid, aboriginal Natives and successors to Paora. Hapimana, deceased, sign the said annexed Deed of Conveyance, dated the nineteenth day of July, one thousand eight hundred and seventy, and that before they signed it I carefully interpreted, and explained it to them, and the contents thereof were fully understood by them previous to their respective execution of the same, and that the said Deed of Conveyance was signed by the said Mere Hapi and Maniapoto on the thirteenth day of April, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-two, in the presence of myself and of S. Locke, Esquire, Resident Magistrate, of Napier, both male adults, Europeans, who subscribed our names as the witnesses of their execution thereof. And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of certain Acts of the General Assembly of New Zealand intituled "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866," "The Natives Lands Act, 1865," and "The Native Lands Act, 1867."

Gilbert Mair,
Licensed Interpreter.

Declared at Maketu, in the Province of Auckland, in the Colony of New Zealand. Before me—

F. E. Hamlin, J.P.,

One of Her Majesty's Justices of the Peace in and for the said Colony, on the second day of May, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-two.

13r.

Registration. Received for Registration at 2 p.m., 21 July, 1874.

(l.s.)

M. Hamilton,
Dep. Registrar.

A True Copy of Original Deed, Translation, Declarations, and Endorsement.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, March 31st, 1875.