Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 7. — Mr. Alexander Mackay, to Under Secretary Native Department

No. 7.
Mr. Alexander Mackay, to Under Secretary Native Department.

Christchurch, December 14th, 1867.

Sir,—

I have the honour to inform you that when visiting the Native settlement at Te Taumutu, near Lake Ellesmere, on Tuesday last, the Natives resident there complained to me of the worthlessness of their reserve for cultivation, and asked that a piece of waste land adjoining might be given. On going over the reserve I found it was intersected by a number of creeks, and continually subject to inundations from the Lake. I therefore, informed, them that I would make inquiries on my return to Christchurch, concerning the piece of land pointed out by them, and if it proved to be waste land, would bring the matter before the Government for consideration.

I have since ascertained that the piece of land required by them is still in possession of the Crown, and at an interview with the Superintendent on the subject, His Honor kindly promised not to offer any opposition to the Natives having the land, if it is considered expedient to award it to them. I would, therefore, beg to recommend that you will be pleased to authorize me to inform the Natives that a piece of additional land will be granted to them. The land they ask for is not particularly fertile but they expressed a wish to have it, and would be very well satisfied if they could acquire it as an addition to their reserve; it has one advantage, however, it is above the flood level and would answer very well either for cultivation, or as a paddock for their stock.

A section containing about 30 acres on the shores of the Lake immediately adjoining their reserve, as shown on the accompanying tracing, is available for the aforesaid purpose, and I would beg to recommend that this land should be reserved for their use.

I have, &c.,

Alexander Mackay,
Native Commissioner.

The Under Secretary Native Department, Wellington.