Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

[Correspondence Relative to the Setting Apart of Additional Reserves for the Natives at Puharake-Ke-Nui and te Taumutu.]

page 117

Correspondence Relative to the Setting Apart of
Additional Reserves for the Natives at Puharake-
Ke-Nui and te Taumutu.

Schedule.

No. 1.
Translation of a letter from Aperahama te Aika, of Kaiapoi, to His Excellency Sir George Grey.

Kaiapoi, February 1st, 1867.

Sir,—

To Sir George Grey, the most excellent Governor. Salutations to you, O Chief of the Pakehas and Maoris living in New Zealand.

O, Father, my request is that you will grant me a portion of land on the banks of the Puharakeke-nui as a fishing station. Mr. Mantell's promise was never fulfilled. But you can grant me a fishing station there, about 10 acres. I have never received any of the purchase money of that River Puharakeke-nui, and that is why I ask for land there for myself and my children, and my brother Wi Te Pa.

This is all I have to say to you, salutations to you and to your friends.

From me,

Wi Te Pa, and Aperahama Te Aika.

His Excellency Sir George Grey.

No. 2.
The Colonial Secretary, to the Superintendent of Canterbury.

Colonial Secretary's Office, Wellington. May 23rd, 1867.

Sir,—

The Government has received an application from a Kaiapoi Native of the name of Te Aika, for a piece of land near where the stream Puharakeke-nui flows into the River Waimakariri. It appears page 118that he wishes for the land rather from old associations, and from the facilities afforded by the locality for eel fishing, than from any intrinsic value of the land which from the tracing (attached), supplied from the Provincial Survey Office, appears to be of unfertile character.

I shall be glad if this request of Te Aika can be complied with, without prejudice to other interests, and purpose, if your Honor sees no objection, to advise His Excellency to grant the land in question to Te Aika. I may add as your Honor is probable aware that Te Aika deserves well of the Government, as well for his general character as for the part he took at the time of the original purchase of the Kaiapoi Block.

I have, &c.,

W. Gisborne,
Pro Colonial Secretary.

The Superintendent of Canterbury.

No. 3.
His Honor the Superintendent, to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Superintendent's Office, Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand, August 22nd, 1867.

Sir,—

I have the honour to reply to your letter of the number and date quoted in the margin, relative to an application from a Kaiapoi Native named Te Aika, for a piece of land near where the stream Puharakeke-nui flows into the River Waimakariri, and to explain that the delay in answering your letter, was caused by Te Aika objecting to the land applied for on account of its being too wet to be of any use, he has however fixed upon a section of 30 acres, situate on the River Puharakeke-nui, which may be granted to him, should His Excellency the Governor so decide, without prejudice to other interests.

I have, &c.,

F. E. Stewart,
Deputy Superintendent.

The Colonial Secretary, Wellington.

No. 4.
Mr. A. Mackay, to the Under Secretary Native Department.

Dunedin, January 15th, 1868.

Sir,—

I have the honour to return herewith the correspondence relative to the land asked for by Aperahama te Aika, at Puharakeke-nui, together with a tracing showing the portion of the land now chosen by Te Aika in lieu of the section first alluded to, and shown on the tracing attached to former papers.

With respect to the acquisition of this land, I would beg to recommend that instead of purchasing it, as suggested in your minute of 22nd November, 1867, on previous papers, as the land is not worth the upset price (good proof of which is evidenced, by it being rejected up to the present time), it should be made a reserve by any legal method in operation.

The contents of the section, of which this forms a part, is about sixty acres, the outer portion of which is composed of sandy hillocks, entirely worthless for cultivation, but still, for the sake of uniformity, the whole might be included in making the reserve.

The Provincial Government have consented to temporarily reserve the land in question until the matter can be finally decided as to the best method of making it over to the Natives. The only stipulation they make is that the Natives should be given to understand that they must not erect anything that will cause obstruction to the flow of the river.

I have, &c.,

Alexander Mackay,
Commissioner.

The Under Secretary Native Department, Wellington.

No. 5.
The Under Secretary, to Alexander Mackay, Esq.

Native Secretary's Office, Wellington, February 18th, 1868.

Sir,—

I have the honour, by direction of Mr. Richmond, to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of the 15th ultimo, relative to the land asked for by Aperahama Te Aika, and to inform you that your proposal, to make this a Native reserve for Aperhama, is approved. I am to request that you will obtain a proper plan and description for a Crown grant. The grant will be made out with restrictions upon sale, unless with the consent of the Governor, and with this condition that no right of interference with the stream will be conceded.

I have, &c.,

W. Rolleston, Under Secretary. Alexander Mackay, Esq., Christchurch.

page break
Plan of Land at Puharekekenui -set apart for Ie Aikay otherAs allwded to in correspondence of 1868

Plan of Land at Puharekekenui
-set apart for Ie Aikay other
As allwded to in correspondence of 1868

page break
page 119

No. 6.
Mr. A. Mackay, to the Under Secretary Native Department.

Christchurch, March 3rd, 1868.

Sir,—

With reference to your letter No. 79-2, of 18th February, informing me that my proposal to make the land at Puharakeke-nui, a reserve for Aparahama Te Aika is approved,* and requesting me to obtain a proper plan and description for a Crown grant, I have the honour to inform you that on making application at the Survey Department, Christchurch, I learnt that the land had not yet been surveyed. The land also proposed to be granted to the Natives at Te Taumutu, appears to be in a similar position. Mr. Davy, the Chief Surveyor, has promised, however, to put the work in hand, at an early opportunity, and to furnish the necessary plans and description.

I have, &c.,

Alexander Mackay,
Native Commissioner.

* Land since included amongst awards of the Native Land Court by notification in New Zealand Gaxette, of 20th June, 1868; further action, however, will require to be taken to vest the title in the Natives, as the case was not dealt with by the Court, although included amongst the awards.

No. 7.
Mr. Alexander Mackay, to Under Secretary Native Department.

Christchurch, December 14th, 1867.

Sir,—

I have the honour to inform you that when visiting the Native settlement at Te Taumutu, near Lake Ellesmere, on Tuesday last, the Natives resident there complained to me of the worthlessness of their reserve for cultivation, and asked that a piece of waste land adjoining might be given. On going over the reserve I found it was intersected by a number of creeks, and continually subject to inundations from the Lake. I therefore, informed, them that I would make inquiries on my return to Christchurch, concerning the piece of land pointed out by them, and if it proved to be waste land, would bring the matter before the Government for consideration.

I have since ascertained that the piece of land required by them is still in possession of the Crown, and at an interview with the Superintendent on the subject, His Honor kindly promised not to offer any opposition to the Natives having the land, if it is considered expedient to award it to them. I would, therefore, beg to recommend that you will be pleased to authorize me to inform the Natives that a piece of additional land will be granted to them. The land they ask for is not particularly fertile but they expressed a wish to have it, and would be very well satisfied if they could acquire it as an addition to their reserve; it has one advantage, however, it is above the flood level and would answer very well either for cultivation, or as a paddock for their stock.

A section containing about 30 acres on the shores of the Lake immediately adjoining their reserve, as shown on the accompanying tracing, is available for the aforesaid purpose, and I would beg to recommend that this land should be reserved for their use.

I have, &c.,

Alexander Mackay,
Native Commissioner.

No. 8.
Memorandum from the Secretary for Crown Lands.

The only way in which this reserve (obviously not a public reserve), could be made would be, I imagine, under "The Crown Grants Act, 1862," in pursuance of the promise contained in the Ngaitahu Deed of Purchase, (see Appendix, 1858). Do you see any objection?

W. Rolleston,
Under Secretary.

27th December, 1869.

No. 9.
Memorandum by Secretary for Crown Lands.

The agreement in the Ngaitahu Deed, is "that it shall be for the Governor hereafter to set apart some portion for us, when the land is surveyed by the Surveyors," of course this meant land fit for their use, i.e., fit for cultivation, and it is equally a matter of course that the Government should put a liberal construction upon its engagements of this kind. This, however, I think is not necessary here. The necessity of a reserve at Taumutu was acknowledged, and a worthless one made, consequently the contract entered into has not been fulfilled by Government.

The Government can fulfil it now under "The Crown Grants Act, 1862," by granting the additional piece the Natives ask for, to them. The grant should be signed by the Governor in Council.

A. Domett.

30th December, 1867.
page 120

No. 10.
The Hon. Colonial Secretary, to the Superintendent of Canterbury.

Colonial Secretary's Office, Wellington, January 6th, 1868.

Sir,—

I have the honour to enclose a copy of a letter which has been received from Mr. Mackay, in reference to an addition which the Natives at the mouth of Lake Ellesmere wish to have made to the reserve which they occupy at Taumutu.

It appears that the land upon which they are now settled is subject to inundations, and that the piece of land which they ask for, though of no great value for cultivation by Europeans, would from is elevated position be of considerable advantage to them.

At the time of the original purchase the Natives were promised that ample reserves would be made for them, and the Government is anxious that in any case where the reserves may have subsequently proved inadequate or unfit for occupation, the promise should be carried out, as is proposed in this instance by granting an additional piece of land.

Understanding that your Honor is willing that the grant of 30 acres proposed by Mr. Mackay should be made to the Taumutu Natives, I shall feel obliged if you will give directions that the land as shown on the attached tracing should be reserved from sale pending the preparation of the grant.

Instructions will be forwarded to Mr. Mackay to have the necessary plans prepared, and it will be expressly explained to the Natives and provided in the grant that no right of interference with the waters of Lake Ellesmere, or of constructing eel wiers to the detriment of the surrounding land will be conceded.

I have, &c.,

W. Gisborne,
Pro Colonial Secretary.

The Superintendent of Canterbury.

No. 11.
His Honor the Superintendent of Canterbury, to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Superintendent's Office, Christchurch,New Zealand, January 10th, 1868.

Sir,—

I have the honour to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of the 6th instant, respecting the proposed addition to the Native reserve at Taumutu.

In reply, I beg to state that the reserve had been made prior to the receipt of your letter, in accordance with the recommendation made by Mr. Mackay, during his recent visit to this Province.

I have, &c.,

W. S. Moorhouse,
Superintendent.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary, Wellington.

No. 12.
W. Rolleston, Esq., to A. Mackay, Esq.

Native Secretary's Office, Wellington, January 13th, 1861.

Sir,—

I have the honour by direction of Mr. Richmond, to transmit the enclosed copy of a letter addressed to His Honor the Superintendent of Canterbury, on the subject of an additional piece of land asked for by the Natives at Taumutu, and to request you to take the necessary action in this matter.*

I have, &c.,

W. Rolleston,
Under Secretary.

A. Mackay, Esq., Christchurch.

* The land is in the same position with regard to the title as that situated at Puharakeke-nui.—Alexander Mackay.