The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Heywood, J. M., and Co
Heywood, J. M., and Co. (J. M. Heywood and E. E. Heywood), Custom, Insurance, Forwarding, and General Commission Agents and Cartage Contractors. Head Office, Cathedral Square, Christchurch, Branch offices, Carlyle Street, Sydenham, and Norwich Quay, Lyttelton. Stables, Carlyle Street, Sydenham. Stores, Cathedral Square, Christchurch, and Byron Street, Sydenham. Telephone 27; P.O. Box 52. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Private residence, Latimer Square, Christchurch. This extensive business was founded as far back as June, 1851, in Lyttelton, and the firm is now the only one in Canterbury whose business has continued since the earliest days of the settlement. Mr. J. M. Heywood was appointed agent in Lyttelton for the Northern Assurance Company in 1859, and is now the oldest insurance representative in Canterbury. In 1861, Mr. Heywood was appointed agent for the New Zealand Insurance Company, and continued to represent that company until it established a branch office in Christchurch. Since 1872 the firm (of which the late Mr. W. Day was a partner until 1880) has held the appointment of chief agents and attorneys in Canterbury for the Norwich Union Fire Insurance Society, and it also represents in Canterbury Messrs George W. Wheatley and Co., of London; Messrs. Davies, Turner and Co., of London and New York; The United States Express Company; Messrs. Mullaly and Byrne, Melbourne; Messrs. Thomas Cook and Son, tourist and general passenger agents; and is storage agent for the well-known “Orb” brand of iron. In 1860, Mr. Heywood erected the wharf on Ferry Road and ran the steamer “Planet,” and other small craft for the conveyance of goods and merchandise between Lyttelton and Christchurch. After the opening of the Lyttelton-Christchurch railway this property was rendered useless, and in 1879 the firm obtained the railway cartage contract for the delivery of goods in Christchurch and suburbs, which it successfully held for some seventeen years. The firm has established direct agents not only throughout New Zealand, but also agents and correspondents in all parts of the world. As custom house agents Messrs. J. M. Heywood and Co. are widely known in Canterbury; they have recently considerably developed the forwarding branch of the business, and now undertake the delivery of parcels and packages, not only in the city and all parts of the Colony, but to any part of the world, with door-to-door service, for which they have a safe and systematic organisation. The charges are based on the lowest possible scale, and can be made payable either by sender or receiver. Good storage accommodation is provided at their goods-shed in Sydenham, as also in their stores at the Cathedral Square premises, on the upper floor of which there are convenient sample-rooms.