The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Mr. Richard James Strachan Harman
Mr. Richard James Strachan Harman, Senior Partner in the firm of Harman and Stevens, is a very old Canterbury settler. He was born in Dublin, educated at Rugby, and at King's College, London, and became a pupil of Mr. George and Sir John Rennie, the celebrated engineers, London, with whom he served his time. He arrived in Lyttelton in 1850 by the ship “Sir George Seymour,” one of the first four historic ships, and has since that time resided continuously in Canterbury, with the exception of a short visit to England. Mr. Harman established himself in business in 1850 as a land agent, in which he was joined some years after by the Hon. E. C. J. Stevens. In the days of the Provincial Government Mr. Harman was member of the council for different constituencies, and acted as Deputy-Superintendent for several years, and was Provincial Treasurer and Auditor. He has served on many public bodies, including the Christchurch Drainage Board and Domain Board, being still a member of the latter, and was at one time chairman. Mr. Harman is a member of the Cathedral Chapter and Diocesan Synod. He was for thirty years a member of the governing body of Christ's College, and for some time of the Canterbury College. As a volunteer in the early days, he was captain of No. 2 Company Christchurch Rifles, and was also for many years captain of the Honorary Reserve Corps.