St. Mary's, Boulcott Street, 1842
St. Mary's, Boulcott Street, 1842.
The Rev. Father J. P. O'Reilly arrived in Wellington in 1842, and utilised an old store on the beach for some time in which to celebrate Mass. He secured a site for a church in Boulcott Street, and erected page 388 Fig. 67). This was enlarged more than once. In 1874 the building dedicated to St. Mary of the Angels was erected. This building was destroyed by fire a few years ago, and the present cathedral, designed by Mr. F. de J. Clere, stands on the site. Father O'Reilly was beloved by all.