The Congregational Church services were started by Mr. Jonas Woodward in 1842, and held in the Mechanics' Institute, corner of Charlotte Street. In 1848 a small brick building was erected in Murphy Street, but the 1848 earthquake rendered it dangerous for use. Another church was built in Woodward Street and opened in May, 1849. About eighteen years later a larger church was built on the same site. In 1887 a portion of the congregation was transferred to the new church in Courtenay Place. The Terrace church was opened on the 26th May, 1888.