History and traditions of the Maoris of the West Coast, North Island of New Zealand, prior to 1840
Notes to Table 33A
Notes to Table 33A.
Both of these names, Te Moana-waipu and Te Moana-waiwai, are known to the East Coast genealogies, and the first is shown as fiourishing just before, or about the time of the heke of 1350.—S.P.S.
Kahu-kura belonged to the Ngati-Maru of the Upper Waitara, but settled in the Ure-nui district where he married Hine-moe of that place. His pa was Maru-wehi, on the extreme point of the cliffs where they form the north head of the Ure-nui river.* This pa is now partly eaten away by the sea. On the level plateau,* a few hundred yards inland, stood the modern village of Maru-wehi, occupied by Ngati-Mutunga on their return from the Chatham Islands in 1868, and which was subsequently abandoned for the present site on the Main North Road, at Te Rua-pekapeka.
Mutunga is the eponymous ancestor of the tribe. His elder brothers were named Rangi-mariu, Koko-taua, Tautu-pane, Tuhi-kira and Kura-maori. As often happens the youngest brother was the most prominent member of the family, and gave his name to the tribe.
Te Rerehua was the daughter of Hine-tuhi (from whom Ngati-Hine-tuhi of Ure-nui take their name), and was a niece of Mania-poto the ancestor of the great Ngati-Mania-poto tribe. Te Rerehua was a descendant of Ruapu-tahanga (6) and Whati-hua (7) whose adventures are described in Chapter IX. hereof. Whati-hua was a descendant of Hotu-roa, commandant of the 'Tai-nui' canoe. It is through this descent of Te Rerehua, and by her marriage with Mutunga that such close relations formerly existed between the people of Kawhia and Ure-nui.
Ue-tara-ngore's widow (Hine-whati-hua) married Mania-poto (9), as also did the former's daughter Papa-rau-whara; and Rora, ancestor of Ngati-Rora, of Upper Mokau and Te Kuiti, was the fruit of the latter union.
Hine-tuhi came from Waikato to Mimi, and there married Tu-kai-tao, the son of Kahui-ao. Te Rerehua (5) was the eldest child of this union; as she married Mutunga, their descendants took the tribal name of Ngati-Mutunga. But the descendants of Te Rerehua's brother, Te Hihi-o-Tu (II), took the name of Ngati-Hine-tuhi, after the latter's mother. The pas of the latter people were Poho-kura (see Plate No. 7) and Pihanga, on top of the cliffs, south head of Urenui, where the Military Redoubt stood in 1865.
Rau-niao was a Whanganui woman.
|Nos. 13 and 14.—||
The brothers Tuki-tahi and Rehe-taia lived at Aropawa pa, situated near Wai-toetoe stream on the south bank of the Mimi river. They were both celebrated warriors, especially the latter, who took the stronghold of Kohangamouku belonging to their southern neighbours, Ngati-Rahiri. (For some of Rehetaia's doings, see Chapter IX.)
Aurutu, begat the hapu named Ngati-Aurutu, who owned the Okoki pa. His brother, Okiokinga, was a very handsome man, the fame of whose beauty reached Tuke-mata, a lady of the Taranaki tribe, causing her to journey to Te page 116Motu-nui (just below Okoki) to seek him as a husband. On the way, however, she met Aurutu, who personated his brother, and thus secured the southern lady as a wife. He was subsequently slain in battle, whereupon his widow married Okiokinga.
Taihuru became a great warrior. His fame reaching his mother's people (Taranaki) they sent a war-party against him to nip his powers in the bud. At that time Taihuru occupied a pa named Te Puke-karito situated up the Wai-iti stream—the old home of Ngai-Tara-pounamu—and here he was attacked whilst he was making his toilet. Several messengers were despatched to his house to alarm him, but he coolly went on decking his hair with plumes and his whale-bone comb. Having completed his toilet, he took up his taiaka and came forth, his appearance being greeted by his mother's kin (Taranaki), who by this time had almost secured an entrance to the pa, with a yell—'A ha! Ka pitta te mokomoko nei, te keakea a Tuke-mata.' (Aha! now the lizard comes forth—the offspring of Tukemata.) Taihuru replied by making an attack on the enemy, slaying two men at each blow of his taiaha, so that before long his kinsmen took to flight. Taihuru fought in many other battles, and was in the end mortally wounded in a campaign against Taranaki.
Kapua-kore, chieftainess of Ngati-Aurutu, was given in marriage to a Kawhia chief who helped to fell a clearing near Okoki. She was conducted (to her marriage) along a straight path leading from Okoki to the sea-shore, which crossed Te Motu-nui plain, and is still pointed out as 'Te Ara takitaki a Kapuakore.' The circumstance is referred to in Oriwia's song about the battle of Te Motu-nui (see Chapter XIV.).
W. Neera was a well known chief of Ngati-Mutunga, who lived and died at the Chatham Islands. "His wife, Kapua-kore, (a descendant of Okiokinga referred to in Note 15) died quite recently (1908). She migrated with the tribe to Port Nicholson with the Heke 'Tama-te-uaua' in 1832 (see Chapter XIX.), and was present at the battle of Puke-namu, at which time she was between 18 and 20 years old. She married W. Neara during the migration, consequently her age at death was about 94 or 96."
Ngati-Mutunga in early times was called Ngati-Kahu-kura, probably after the first ancestor shown on Table 33a.
The tribe is no doubt largely composed of the same elements as Te Ati-Awa—indeed is often included in that name—and therefore must have originally absorbed a large number of tangata-whenua, besides descendants of the crew of 'Toko-maru.' The principal hapus of the tribe were named Te Kekere-wai, Ngati-Hine-tuhi and Ngati-Aurutu.
The home of the first-named was the Mimi valley, and inland where their old fortified pas are still to be seen. Ngati-Hine-tuhi derive their name from a Ngati-Mania-poto woman named Hine-tuhi, belonging to the same branch as the late Rewi Mania-poto, and who married into this West Coast tribe. (See number ten in Table 33a.) Ngati-Hine-tuhi lived at the mouth of and up the Ure-nui river, and owned the fine pas named Ure-nui and Poho-kura on the north bank, page 117Pihanga (the Military Station in 1865), Kumara-kai-amo (within the modern township), Kai-pikari and Te Rewa, all on the south bank, and whose grassy ramparts still add a great interest to the pretty scenery of those parts. It was Ngati-Mutunga, aided by the two hapus named, that built the Okoki pa already referred to, and it was in the occupation of the former when the battle of Motu-nui took place in 1821, for which see infra.
* See Plate No. 7.—The little pinnacle on the right centre of the picture is Maru-wehi. The hill to the right of this, with the trees on it, is the old pa named Poho-kura, still in excellent preservation, its top covered with handsome kowai trees. The isolated hill near centre of the picture is Ure-nui pa, the terraces of which can still be distinguished. The view is taken (by Mr. A. Hamilton) from the trenches of Te Rewa pa, which show in the foreground.