Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Typo: A Monthly Newspaper and Literary Review, Volume 4

[miscellaneous paragraphs]

« Michael Angelo Correggio Rubens Blomfield » is the crushing name inflicted on an innocent Auckland infant who came into the world on the 12th inst.

There was no issue of the Reefton Guardian on the 2nd inst. The whole inner form collapsed as it was being put on the press, and all hands worked from 4 p m. till midnight to get enough pie distributed to furnish type for the issue of the morrow.

The Nenthorn Recorder, a goldfields paper, has ceased publication. It held on until Nenthorn itself practically ceased to exist. The goldfield collapsed—not that the gold was not there; but that claims were taken and financed by speculators in shares.

One of the best-known journalists in New Zealand, Mr. Albert Cohen, the Dunedin Star special, was married this month, in the Great Synagogue, Sydney, to Miss Minnie Levy. Mr Cohen has received hearty congratulations and expressions of goodwill from his brethren of the press.

Editors sometimes indulge in personal reminiscences. One away north retains a lively recollection of the school at which, with unusual candor, he says, « we had the honor of receiving the maximum amount of caning with the minimum of useful knowledge. »

An Irish reporter in Montreal, Canada, invented and published a story to the effect that Prince George of Wales had been locked up for being concerned in a street brawl. The libel was telegraphed all through the world before a contradiction appeared, and caused grave concern to the English royal family. The imaginative reporter is now the subject of a criminal prosecution.

« One night, » says the Artist Printer, « Slug 9 had a take in which the name of Gen. U. S. Grant appeared, and imagine the proofreader's surprise when he saw it in print, 'Gen. United States Grant.' When the proof was given out, Slug 9 yelled: 'Mr S., what did you mark this for? The boss told me to spell out United States every time I saw it!'»

On the 2nd October, at 2 a.m., a fire broke out in Messrs Gibbs, Shallard, & Co's printing warehouse, Sydney. The building was situated in a dense block of premises bounded by Pitt, Castlereagh, King, and Hunter streets, containing some of the finest and most massively built warehouses and business premises in the city. The buildings were all of stone and brick, and from three to five stories in height. The fire speedily assumed enormous dimensions, and though twenty-five brigades were engaged, they were practically powerless, and the fire raged for four hours before it could be got under control. Several firemen were seriously injured by falling walls. The fire is said to have been the most destructive that has occurred in the Australian colonies, the loss being roughly estimated at a million sterling. Messrs Gibbs, Shallard, & Co. had insurances of £19,000 on stock and £13,000 on the building, and estimate their loss at £17,000 more. The origin of the fire is quite unknown, Messrs Gibbs & Shallard have been singularly unfortunate, six fires having occurred in their premises since 1874, the most serious being in 1889, when the damage amounted to £8,000.