The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The Bank Of New South Wales, New Plymouth, is situated at the corner of Devon Street and Currie Street. The branch was established in Brougham Street, in 1877, and the premises now occupied were erected in 1883. The building is a two-storied one of wood and iron, and contains a banking chamber, a manager's room, and a manager's residence. The staff consists of the manager and his six assistants. There are also branches at Inglewood, Stratford, and Eltham.
Mr. Neil K. MacDiarmid, Manager of the Bank of New South Wales, was born in New South Wales, and joined the bank's service in the year 1871, at Sydney. After serving in several of the bank's branches in that colony, he was sent to New Zealand, and appointed to the Napier branch, which he managed for three years. Mr. MacDiarmid then received his present appointment at New Plymouth, where he has worked up a good business. He takes a keen interest in local matters, to which he devotes a considerable page 84 portion of his time. He has been a member of the New Plymouth High School Board of Governors since 1891, and its chairman since 1900. Mr. MacDiarmid is a Freemason, and was Past Master for six years in New South Wales. In 1875, he married a daughter of the late Mr. Richard Johnson, of Sydney, and has five sons and two daughters.
Mr. N. K. MacDiarmid. Collis, photo.
The Bank Of Australasia in New Plymouth was opened in the year 18. About four years later the building, which had been occupied as a branch of the Bank of New Zealand, at the corner of Devon Street and Robe Street, was bought by the bank, and has since served as the domicile of the branch. It is of wood and iron, of two stories, erected on stone foundations, and contains a manager's room, strong room and residence.
Mr. Harry Joseph Halcome, who has been Manager of the Bank of Australasin, at New Plymouth, since August, 1905, was born in Nelson, and is a son of the late Rev. C. H. Halcombe. He was educated at the Dunedin High School, entered the service of the bank at Feilding, and has held various positions in the branches at Hawera. Manaia, Marton, and Wellington. In 1887, Mr. Halcombe was transferred to New South Wales, was accountant in the Newton branch, Sydney, for three years, and was then promoted to be manager at Roma, Queensland, where he remained five years. He returned to New Zealand in 1895, and was shortly afterwards appointed manager at Manaia, whence he was promoted to his present position at New Plymouth.
The Union Bank Of Australia, Limited, in New Plymouth, is situated in Brougham Street in temporary premises. The branch was established in the year 1902, and the staff consists of a manager and nine officers.
Mr. George Edward Mannering, Manager of the Union Bank at New Plymouth, joined the staff in Rangiora in the year 1878. He was subsequently transferred to Christ-church, and was manager of the Union Bank at Hastings, Hawke's Bay, for five years before receiving his present appointment.
The Bank Of New Zealand has been represented in New Plymouth since the year 1860. The branch is domiciled in a wood and iron building, which stands on the corner of Brougham Street and Devon Street. It contains a banking chamber, a manager's room, a strong room, with double entrance, and a residence. The staff consists of a manager and nine officers.
Mr. Edward Forde Blundell was appointed Manager of the Bank of New Zealand at New Plymouth in the year 1905. He is further referred to on page 1232 in the Wellington volume of this Cyclopedia.
The National Bank Of New Zealand, Limited, has been represented in New Plymouth since about the foundation of the institution. The building at the corner of Brougham Street and Devon Street was erected in the eighties. It consists of two stories in wood and iron, contains a banking chamber, manager's room, and two bedrooms for the accommodation of officers of the bank, and premises let for office purposes. The staff consists of the manager and five officers. The nearest branch of the bank to New Plymouth is at Stratford.
Mr. Alfred Edward Augustus Clark, formerly Manager of the National Bank at New Plymouth, was born at Motueka. Nelson, and is a son of the late Mr. Henry G. Clark, sometime Commissioner of Crown Lands for the province of Marlborough. Mr. Clark was educated at the Marlborough Grammar School, Blenheim, and joined the National Bank in that town in 1873. He afterwards filed the position of accountant and other responsible posts at Oamaru, Balclutha, Napier, Dunedin, Auckland, and other branches before being appointed manager at New Plymouth in 1891. During his residence at New Plymouth Mr. Clark was president of one of the local football clubs, and of the Liedertafel, and of other local institutions.
The New Plymouth Savings Bank was established about the year 1850. Officers: His Excellency the Governor, President; Mr. H. Weston, Vice-President; Messrs A. Shuttleworth, W. L. Newman, J. Ward and R. Cock, Trustees; and Mr. P. C. Morton, Manager. The bank is situated in Brougham Street, and is managed on lines similar to those of the Auckland Savings Bank. The object is to provide safe custody for small savings, and interest is allowed on sums not exceeding £100. Of late years the business of the bank has greatly increased; in the year 1888, its total liabilities were £5,766, which had increased in the year 1904, to £19,243. This large sum was represented by securities to the value of £16,220, and cash amounting to £2750. The balance-sheet showed a credit of £1741 over all liabilities.