The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Pleasant Point. In the year 1855, or thereabout, when many who are now old and weary were young, the man of enterprise, bent on prospecting for a sheep run or proposing to penetrate the coastal range by way of Burke's Pass to explore the then unknown regions since called the Mackenzie country, would have taken his departure from the accommodation house kept by “Sam Williams,” on the beach below the present site of Timaru. He would travel over the broad plains, stretching away from the Levels station, and some three miles ahead of him he would see a projection of land standing out conspicuously, and which had already been named “Pleasant Point.” Just beyond “The Point,” and within the shelter of its arm, will now be found the township of that name, which is thirteen miles from Timaru. There the rivers, Te Ngawai and Opihi, meet each other and embrace a large area of fertile land. Here, also, many roads now converge, such as the road to Totara Valley, Opihi, Opuha, Waitohi, and Temuka, which have done much to raise it in importance as a country centre. The railway constructed by the provincial government of Canterbury from Timaru to Fairlie also helped to dot the district with many prosperous farms. The first freehold property in the locality was bought by Messrs R. and G. Rhodes, who subsequently sold to the New Zealand and Australian Land Company; but the first real settlers were Messrs Kennaway and Acton, who purchased land between the two rivers. The bulk of the agricultural land is now occupied in considerable farms. Now (1903) the South Canterbury Dairy Company has a creamery at work in the township, which has three churches—Anglican, Presbyterian, and Roman Catholic—two hotels, three stores, a bakery, two butchers' shop, and several blacksmiths and wheelwrights. Fortnightly stock sales are held at Pleasant Point, and the settlers from surrounding districts attend in considerable numbers. The township is in the Point riding of the Levels county, and at the census of 1901, the population of the settlement and neighbourhood was set down at 749. The railway station, which is in the centre of the township, stands at an elevation of 205 feet above the sea, and is thirteen miles from Timaru on the Fairlie branch line of railway.
Pleasant Point Railway Station. This station is on the Timaru-Fairlie line, and is situated thirteen miles from Timaru. It was erected about 1874, when the line was constructed, and it ranks as a fourth-class station. There is a large goods shed at the station, and the principal traffic is in grain. The post and telegraph offices, and the office of the Registrar of Births, Deaths, and Marriages are also at the station.
Mr. Frank Truman, Stationmaster and Telegraphist, at Pleasant Point, and Registrar of Births, Deaths, and Marriages for the district, was born at Rangiora, in 1869, and educated at public schools. In 1883 he joined the Postal Department as a messenger at page 933 Waikari, and two years later became a cadet at the Waikari railway station. As a cadet he served six years, during which he was station-ed successively at Southbridge, Lyttelton, Sefton, and Kaiapoi. He was then promoted to the position of clerk, and as such was stationed successively at Pleasant Point and Timaru. For two years afterwards Mr. Truman was on the relieving staff as station-master. In 1896 he was appointed clerk at Lyttelton, where he remained until December, 1898, when he was promoted to be stationmaster at Hampden in North Otago, whence he was transferred to Pleasant Point in July, 1902. During his residence in Waikari, Mr. Truman was a member of the local Oddfellows' Lodge, in which he passed all the chairs. He married in December, 1899 a daughter of Mr. Albert Booth, of Oamaru, and has two sons.
Mr. F. Truman.
The Public School at Pleasant Point is said to be one of the oldest schools in South Canterbury. It stands on part of a section of an acre and a half in Church Street, is built of wood and iron, and has four class rooms and two porches, with accommodation for 200 children. There are 180 names on the roll, and the average attendance is about 166. The teaching staff consists of the master, an assistant, an infant mistress, and two pupil-teachers. There is a convenient playground, and a good residence for the headmaster.
Mr. Gilbert Dalglish, B.A., Headmaster of the Pleasant Point Public School, was born on Banks' Peninsula, Canterbury. He was educated at the Akaroa Borough School, where he served a four years' pupil-teachership. After a year at the Normal Training College at Christchurch, he was appointed assistant at the Woolston Borough School. A few months later Mr. Dalglish became assistant at the Sydenham Borough School, where he continued for six years until taking up his duties at Pleasant Point in 1896. He graduated B.A. at Canterbury College in 1894, and was married at the end of 1896, to a daughter of Mr. Robert Buchanan, of the Christchurch City Foundry, and has one son and one daughter.
Mr. G. Dalglish.
The Cure Of Tengawai-With-Fairlie extends from Washdyke to Mount Cook, a distance of 140 smiles, and was constituted in 1891. It includes the settlements of Fairlie, Pleasant Point and Burke's Pass, among others. The vicarage is situated on Tengawai road, Pleasant Point. There is a glebe of ten acres, and there is also a small endowment of thirteen acres for the church. Services are held in outlying places, inclusive of Hazelburn, Albury, and Opihi, in school buildings, and also at Fairlie, Silverstream, and Burke's Pass.
The Church Of St. Alban, at Pleasant Point, is constructed mostly of concrete, and was erected about the end of the seventies. It has accommodation for eighty worshippers, and service is held regularly, morning and evening, every Sunday. The Sunday school of twenty scholars is in charge of three teachers.
The Rev. Stanley Hinson, Vicar of Tengawai-with-Fairlie, was born in 1855, in South America, and was educated in England. In 1876 he came to South Australia and was ordained deacon in 1884. He studied at the Adelaide University. After being stationed in various parts of Australia he came to New Zealand in 1892, and has been in charge of his present cure since January, 1893. Mr. Hinson was married, in 1890, to a daughter of Mr. John Braim, of Melbourne, and has two sons and two daughters.
The Presbyterian Church at Pleasant Point is prettily placed on an eminence overlooking the township. Occasionally services were held in the district as early as 1865, and the church was built ten years later. The congregation was made a separate charge in 1879. The church is of wood, with a shingle roof, and has seating accommodation for 120 persons. A Sunday school, consisting of seventy children and nine teachers, meets in the building. The minister in charge holds services at Totara Valley in a pretty little church, and in the schoolhouses at Cannington and Cave, also at Kakahu Bush and Waitohi. The manse, which was erected in 1881, and was considerably enlarged in 1892, is a short distance away from the church, and stands on part of a glebe of five acres.
The Rev. Joseph White, Minister in charge of Pleasant Point Presbyterian Church, was born in 1839, in Derbyshire, England. He studied for the United Methodist Free Church, and became a minister in 1864. In 1866 Mr. White came to New Zealand, and was eight years on the West Coast goldfields, and afterwards took other appointments. Owing to the failure of Methodist Union in 1885, he ceased his connection with his mother church, and became General Secretary of the Young Men's Christian Association in Dunedin. Two years later he became a minister of the Presbyterian Church of Otago and Southland, and was inducted at Pleasant Point in 1894. Mr. White was married, in 1868, to a daughter of Mr. Jesse Humphries, of Nelson, and has had eight sons and one daughter. One son and the daughter are dead.
Pleasant Point Creamery (South Canterbury Dairy Company, Limited, proprietors), Pleasant Point. This creamery was opened in October, 1902. It is built of wood and iron, with a concrete foundation, and is well equipped with an engine, a boiler, and a 510 gallon Crown separator. The cream is sent daily to Timaru.
Mr. John Young Thomson, Manager of the Pleasant Point Creamery, was born in 1870, near Dunedin. He gained experience in dairy work, and was appointed manager of the Pleasant Point Creamery when it was first opened.
The Police Station at Pleasant Point in the South Canterbury sub-district, dates from 1875. The station is on the Mackenzie Road, on a site of two acres, and consists of a house of six rooms, a lock-up, a stable, and other out-buildings. The district in charge of the local constable extends from the racecourse near Washdyke to Coalcreek, and as far as Raincliff on the northern side of the Opihi river. No court is held at Pleasant Point, but local justices act in cases of emergency.
Mr. Thomas Barrett, Constable in charge of Pleasant Point, was born at Hokitika, in 1867. He became an officer of the Permanent Artillery in 1889, but afterwards joined the police force, and has been in charge at Pleasant Point since 1901.
Pleasant Point Hotel (John Murphy, proprietor), Pleasant Point. This well known page 934 hotel was established about 1862. It is a two storey brick buildings with thirty rooms, of which fifteen are bedrooms and eight sitting rooms. The dining rooms will seat forty guests, and there is a commodious billiard-room with one of Alcock's tables. The stables contain twenty-four stalls and four loose-boxes, and convenient paddocks for stock adjoin the hotel. Mr. John Murphy, proprietor of the Pleasant Point Hotel, was born at Beechworth, Victoria, in 1860. He accompanied his parents to Canterbury the same year, and was brought up at Geraldine. For a time Mr. Murphy was a livery stable keeper at Pleasant Point, and first became proprietor of the hotel there in 1894. He served for eight years as a member of the Canterbury Yeomanry Cavalry, and has been a member of the Pleasant Point Jockey Club since 1892.
McKibbin, William, General Storekeeper, Pleasant Point. This business was established in May, 1878, and is conducted in convenient premises almost opposite the railway station; the proprietor's residence is situated in another part of the township. Mr. McKibbin was born in County Down, Ireland, in 1848, and was brought up to mercantile life. He arrived at Port Chalmers, in 1878, by the ship “County of Peebles,” which is said to have been the first four-masted ship to bring passengers to that port. After a few months in Dunedin, he founded his business at Pleasant Point. Mr McKibbin is also owner of 200 acres of freehold which he purchased in 1887, and still farms. He served as a member of the local school committee for several years, and held office as its chairman. Mr. McKibbin was married, in February, 1877, to a daughter of Mr. R. Morgan, of County Down, Ireland, and has had five sons and three daughters. One son and three daughters have died.
Halstead, William, Fellmonger, Pleasant Point. Mr. Halstead was born in Halifax, Yorkshire, England, in 1836. He was there brought up to fellmongery, which he followed until he left the Old Country in 1858, when he came to Auckland in the ship “Shooting Star.” For some time he worked in Auckland and Hawke's Bay, where he saved £30, with which he took a trip to Sydney and went to the goldfields, and in two years had saved £1000, which, with the exception of £50, was, however, lost in speculation. He then returned to New Zealand, and was engaged at Oamaru in wool sorting for about three years. Mr. Halstead was then appointed salesman in a large store, and later on he became a wool valuator. In 1866 he went to Pleasant Point, and classed wool on the Levels estate for several years, and afterwards, except during four seasons, he scoured all the wool produced on that estate. He started his present business on his arrival from Australia, and is now the oldest wool scourer in South Canterbury. He has won a silver cup, three silver medals, and four bronze medals for wool scouring at various exhibitions. Mr. Halstead is a member of the Timaru Caledonian Lodge of Freemasons, and has been an Oddfellow. He is chairman of the Domain Board, and was chairman of the Cemetery. Board for many years, and also of the Pleasant Point school committee. In 1857 he married Miss Mary Metcalf, of Craven, Yorkshire, who followed her husband to New Zealand four years later. They have a family of five sons and two daughters. Two sons are married, and follow their father's trade.
Mr. W. Halstead.
Acton, Edward, Farmer, “Fordlands,” Pleasant Point. Mr. Acton was born at Exeter, Devonshire, England, in 1832, and is the son of the late Rev. Henry Acton, of Exeter. He was educated at Mount Raford school, and studied surgery. Relinquishing the idea of the medical profession, he came to Wellington in 1855 by the ship “New Era,” but removed to Canterbury, and wen in for sheepfarming at Alford Forest, near Ashburton. He afterwards, in partnership with Messrs Kennaway, took up runs at Burke's Pass, which he stocked, together with the Clayton and Opawa runs. Later on, he bought 1500 acres at Pleasant Point in partnership with Mr. Walter Kennaway. This partnership was not dissolved for thirty-two years. Mr. Acton farms a fine agricultural and pastoral property of 1100 acres, known as “Fordlands.” He has been intimately connected with public affairs, and, with the late Mr. C. J. Tripp, was a member of the first road board in South Canterbury, and also of the first county council. For ten years he was on the Harbour Board, of which he was chairman for five years. He was one of the promoters of the South Canterbury Refrigerating Company, and was for some years chairman of directors. Mr. Acton married a daughter of Dr. T. O. Rayner, of Temuka, and has twelve children.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. E. Acton.
Bracefield, Nicholas Parker. Farmer, Hazelburn, Totara Valley, Pleasant Point. Mr. Bracefield was born in Gloucestershire, England, in 1848, and was employed in railway construction work before coming to Lyttelton by the ship “Captain Cook,” in 1863. He first found employment in farm work, near Christchurch, but afterwards removed to South Canterbury, where he was cropping in the Opihi district for two years. In 1878 Mr. Bracefield acquired his property of 191 acres at Hazelburn. It has been page 935 brought into a good state of cultivation, and an excellent stone house has been erected. Mr. Bracefield has been a member of the committee of the local school for a long time. He was married, in April, 1879, to a daughter of the late Mr. John Sellars, of Melbourne, and has five daughters and two sons.
Mr. and Mrs N. P. Bracefield.
Boyd, Donald John, Farmer, “Rosglet,” Pleasant Point. Mr. Boyd was born in Inverness-shire, Scotland, on the 31st of December, 1865. He gained experience on his father's farm, before coming to Wellington in 1888, by the s.s. “Kaikoura.” He was employed as a shepherd by the New Zealand and Australian Land Company at Rakaia for a number of years, and came into possession of his present property, of 238 acres at Pleasant Point, on the 1st of September, 1898. The land has now been largely improved, and a six-roomed residence has been erected. Mr. Boyd served as a volunteer in Invernessshire. He was married on the 31st of December, 1900, to a daughter of the late Mr. Frederick Sams, of Sutherlands, and has one daughter.
Mr. and Mrs D. J. Boyd and Child.
Castlerock Estate is the property of Mr. Gideon Rutherford, who bought it in 1894. Mr. Rutherford has carried out extensive and permanent improvements, which include a substantial two-storey stone and iron dwelling-house, and one of the best orchards in the provincial district of Canterbury; besides other trees, it contains the Australian fig, orange, and mulberry. In other ways Mr. Rutherford has done all that was possible to improve the property. He has drained the alluvial swamps and brought them under cultivation, and they now grow any crop to perfection. In clearing gorse alone Mr. Rutherford has spent £1000; he has placed wire netting on nearly all the fences, and has subdivided the property into convenient sized paddocks with the same material. “Castlerock” is noted for its stud flocks and herds, for which the property is admirably adapted, with its abundant water, sheltering limestone boulders, native shrubs and trees, and caves and corners provided by nature. The Merino stud flock is descended from the best animals that money and talent could procure in Australia, and the ewes were drawn chiefly from the famous Learmouth flock. Mr. Rutherford's Merinos are noted prizewinners at the Christchurch, Oamaru, Timaru, and Dunedin shows, and he had a ram eleven years old, which one season yielded a fleece weighing twenty pounds and three-quarters. His Lincoln stud flock was established in 1885 with twenty-five ewes and two rams, purchased from the Hon. M. Holmes. Mr. Rutherford's herd of Shorthorn cattle has been established since 1887, when he bought Mr. David Grant's herd, and the only bulls which have been used were bred by Mr. John Deans, or in the herd.
Mr. Gideon Rutherford, the Proprietor, was born in 1834 in Golspie, Sutherlandshire, Scotland. In 1850 he came out to Australia, where he followed a pastoral life. He came to New Zealand in 1879, and has been settled successively at Dunedin, Oamaru, and Castlerock, Pleasant Point. The main effort of Mr. Rutherford's life as a woolgrower has been to produce wool of the highest spinning qualities.
Mr. G. Rutherford's Prize Ewe.
Mr. H. Collett.
Greig, John, Farmer, Pleasant Point. Mr. Greig was born in Ross-shire, Scotland, in 1839, and was brought up to pastoral pursuits. He was in the service of the Duke of Leeds, the Mitchells of Linfearn, and Messrs Tait and Urquhart of Strathglass, Mr. Greig married Miss Christina McIntosh, of Glenurquhart, Inverness-shire, in 1861, and came out to New Zealand in the ship “Sebastopol,” in 1862. He obtained an engagement with Messrs Kennaway, Lee and Acton, of Opawa station, Timaru, and was afterwards with Mr. Sheath, of Birmingham. He has been a member of the Pleasant Point school committee for a number of years, and is chairman of the cemetery board and library committee. Mr. Greig has a family of five sons and two daughters. One of the sons is in Queensland and one is in the Government service in Christchurch.
Mr. and Mrs J. Greig.
Gliddon, James, Farmer, “The Willows,” Pleasant Point. Mr. Gliddon was born in Plymouth, England, in 1845, and for fourteen years was a sailor in the Royal Navy. He was invalided from service, and in 1874 came to Port Chalmers in the ship “Wild Deer.” Settling in the Timaru district, he engaged in road contracting and other work, until 1901, when he purchased his present property, “The Willows,” which consists of 131 acres of freehold land. Mr. Gliddon was married, in 1879, to a daughter of Mr. James Agnew, of Pleasant Point, and has five sons and one daughter.
Mr. J. Gliddon.
Medlicott, John Frederick, Farmer, “Loftlands,” Pleasant Point. Mr. Medlicott was born in Shropshire, England, in 1860, and at the age of three years, accompanied his parents to Lyttelton by the ship “William Miles.” The family settled in South Canterbury and Mr. Medlicott was educated at Milford, and brought up to country life in the Hook district. He came to Pleasant Point to manage his father's farm, and fourteen years later, in conjunction with his brother James, took over the property, of 560 acres. In 1899 the brothers dissolved partnership, and 295 acres fell to the share of Mr. Fred Medlicott. He was married in 1893, to a daughter of Mr. John Elliott, of Sutherlands. His wife died in 1897. In 1902, Mr. Medlicott married a daughter of Mr. Anthony Watkins, of the South of Ireland.
Mr. J. F. Medlicott.
Mr. A. Mee.
McIlwrick, Frederick William Farmer, “The Sisters,” Pleasant Point, Mr. McIlwrick was born at Milford, near Temuka, in 1870, and was brought up to country life, chiefly at Makikihi. In April, 1901, he leased his property of 460 acres, from Mr. W. B. Howell, for a period of seven years. Mr. McIlwrick was married in 1901, to a daughter of Mr. A. Bucetich, of Chertsey.
Munro, John, Farmer, Pleasant Point. Mr. Munro was born in Sutherlandshire, Scotland, in 1837, and was brought up as a shepherd. He came to Lyttelton in 1865 by the ship “Tudor,” and entered the employment of Messrs Rhodes and Wilkin of St. Leonard's station, as a shepherd. He was afterwards employed for a year by Mr. Hamilton Ward at Bangor estate, Malvern, at Mount Torlesse station for five years, and again for two years at Bangor station, before entering the service of the New Zealand and Australian Land Company in 1876. Mr. Munro farms 230 acres at Pleasant Point, and still acts as shepherd for the company. He was married, in 1866, to a daughter of the late Mr. James Telford, of Selwyn, and has two sons and four daughters.
Mr. and Mrs J. Munro.
Ngakorua Estate, Pleasant Point. This property belongs to Messrs W. and A. Webb, and contains 1000 acres of rich limestone country. It was purchased in 1898, and is well watered and securely subdivided into fourteen paddocks. The Messrs Webb use halfbred ewes and English Leicester rams to breed lambs for the export trade, and the lambs themselves are finished off on rape and early turnips. The ewes are bred from during one season only, and then fattened and sold. Rotational cropping is regularly practised at “Ngakorua,” grain, turnips or rape, and grass following in succession. Wheat yields about thirty-five bushels per acre, and the oats grown are all consumed on the place. The owners also keep about eighty head of cattle, with a number of brood mares in the swamps.
Mr. William Webb was born in Sydney, New South Wales, in 1862, and educated at Christ's College, Christchurch. He is at present (1903) manager of Springbank station, North Canterbury, and is further referred to in connection with that property.
Mr. A. Webb was born, in 1864, in Sydney, and educated at Christ's College, Christchurch. He was for two years in a mercantile office in Christchurch and then followed station life at Kaituna, and at Ashley Gorge; and he subsequently managed the Hon. J. T. Peacock's run for seven years. At the end of that time he and his brother purchased and settled on “Ngakorua.”
Neilson, Peter, Threshing Machine Proprietor and Farmer, Pleasant Point. Mr. Neilson was born in 1851, in Sydney, New South Wales, where he was brought up to country life. He spent some years on the Victorian goldfields. In 1868 he came to Hokitika, and was afterwards engaged in goldmining at the Blue Spur and at Kawarau, in Otago. Later on he was shearing in various parts of the colony. In 1886 he settled at Pleasant Point, where he bought a property of ninety-two acres of rural land on the Mackenzie road, and erected a very comfortable dwelling. As an Oddfellow, he has been connected with the Timaru Lodge. Mr. Neilson has a complete threshing machine plant, including a traction engine, for which he finds employment in the district. He was married, in December, 1867, to a daughter of Mr. John Brown, of Adelaide, and has three sons and two daughters.
Norton, John, Farmer, Prospect Farm, Pleasant Point. Mr. Norton was born in 1860, in Devonshire, England, and found employment in country work until leaving for New Zealand. He arrived at Port Chalmers by the ship “Waitangi” and found employment with Mr. William Wright, at Rangatira Valley, near Temuka, till 1898, when he purchased 404 acres, which he has named Prospect Farm. The land was all in one paddock, but is now sub-divided into nine paddocks, and has been very largely improved, a handsome ten-roomed residence and substantial out-buildings having been erected. Mr. Norton served as a member of the Pleasant Point school committee for a year, and has been connected with the Waitohi Lodge of the Independent Order of Good Templars. He was married on the 3rd of November, 1884, to a daughter of Mr. John Beer, of Doddiscombe Leigh, England, and has five daughters and four sons.
Mr. J. Norton.
Oliver, James, Farmer, Surrey Downs, near Pleasant Point. Mr. Oliver was born in Surrey, England, in 1844. He was brought up as a farmer, and came to Australia by the ship “Giant's Causeway” in August, 1865. A few months later, he came to Lyttelton, and for three years was employed on stations in the Oxford district, North Canterbury. He moved to Pleasant Point in 1869. Two years later Mr. Oliver took up a portion of the land where he resides, its area having been increased page 938 since to about 400 acres. The homestead consists of very substantial and comfortable buildings. Mr. Oliver was a member of the Pleasant Point School Committee for some years. and has been a member of the domain board for the last nineteen years, but has otherwise taken no active part in public affairs. He was married in 1876 to Miss Josling, daughter of an old Rangiora colonist, who came out in the “Travancore,” and has seven children.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. J. Oliver.
Saunders, George, Traction Engine and Threshing Machine Proprietor, Pleasant Point. Mr. Saunders was born at Wheat-hampstead, Herefordshire, England, on the 26th of April, 1862. He was brought up to country life, and arrived at Lyttelton by the ship “Orari,” on the 14th of May. Mr. Saunders settled in the Pleasant Point district, where, except while absent on two trips to the Old Country, he has ever since resided. He has been a mill-owner since 1881, and is now the proprietor of three complete plants. His residence and well appointed workshop stand on three-quarters of an acre of freehold land. Mr. Saunders is attached to the Pleasant Point Lodge of Oddfellows, in which he has passed all the chairs. He was married on the 3rd of November, 1886, to a daughter of Mr. David Anderson, who came to New Zealand in one of the first four ships, and has three daughters.
Mr. and Mrs G. Saunders.
Vance, John, Farmer, Strabane Farm, Pleasant Point. Mr. Vance was born in 1840, in Strabane, Ireland, and was brought up to farming. In 1864 he came out to Port Chalmers by the ship “Adgemere” and after four years in Christchurch, removed to Pleasant Point. About two and a half years later, Mr. Vance purchased eighty-nine acres, the first portion of his present farm, upon which he settled in March, 1875, and which he has now increased to 243 acres of freehold. The Government afterwards acquired a portion of his land for the site of the Waitohi Road railway station. There were very few settlers in the district when Mr. Vance made his home at Strabane Farm, and he has witnessed the development of the settlement. Mr. Vance was married, in 1870, to the youngest daughter of the late Mr. James Caldwell, Coolislin Farm, North of Ireland.
Mr. and Mrs J. Vance.
Mr. John Danns Brittin, of Pleasant Point, was born in 1817 at St. Ives, Huntingdonshire, England, and had experience under his uncle, who was a farmer in the Isle of Ely. He arrived at Lyttelton by the ship “Minerva,” on the 4th of February, 1853, and in 1880 acquired about 400 acres of land at Burke's Pass, where he farmed till 1881. In that year he retired from active life and has since resided at Pleasant Point. Mr. Brittin has taken an active interest in the Anglican church for about fifteen years, and has acted as vestryman and churchwarden. He was always fond of racing and hunting, and in the early days he often rode with success in Christchurch as a gentleman rider. Mr. Brittin was married, in 1840, to a daughter of the late Mr. Henry Marsh, farmer, of Woodhurst, Huntingdonshire, England, and has had one son and four daughters; one daughter having died. There are twenty-two grandchildren and twenty-seven great-grandchildren.
Mr. J. D. Brittin.
Mr. Reginald Orton, sometime of Pleasant Point, was a son of Dr. Orton, and was born in Sunderland, England, on the 27th of March, 1837. He was intended for the medical profession, but did not complete his course of study. Mr. Orton arrived at Lyttelton in 1860, and went to his uncle, the Rev. R. R. Bradley, at Charteris Bay. Shortly afterwards he removed to South Canterbury, and found employment for a short time at the Level's station. He was farming between Christchurch and New Brighton for about four years, and finally settled in the Pleasant Point district in March, 1863. In 1879 he took up his residence in the township, and carried on business as stock dealer and drover and afterwards undertook statistical work for the Government. Mr. Orton was married, in 1865, to a daughter of the late page 939 Mr Samuel Manson, of Governor's Bay, and at his death, in July, 1895, left a family of seven daughters and four sons. Mrs Orton, who was born in 1844, on the late Mr. Dean's estate at Riccarton, was the first white child born on the Canterbury Plains.
The Late Mr. R. Orton.
Mr. Robert Stewart, sometime of Pleasant Point, was born in Renfrewshire, Scotland, in 1845, and was brought up to agricultural work. He emigrated to Australia in 1869, by the ship “Lanarkshire,” and followed the goldfields for some time. In 1873 he came to New Zealand and took to farming and cropping near Timaru. In 1877 he cleared £1400 from 160 acres of wheat, but in the year following a hailstorm threshed all the crop standing in the field. Mr. Stewart purchased the lease of an educational reserve in Totara Valley in 1882. It comprises 562 acres, and on obtaining an extension of the tenure he effected improvements, which include drainage and fencing, and a good dwellinghouse built of stone. Mr. Stewart purchased the first portion of “Clover-hill” in 1894–550 acres—from the New Zealand and Australian Land Company. In 1897 he purchased an additional 450 acres, thus bringing his freehold at “Cloverhill” up to 1000 acres. In one season he had 360 acres in wheat, 100 acres in oats, and 50 acres in turnips; and it was common for his wheat crop to average thirty bushels and the oats sixty bushels per acre. Mr. Stewart died on the 26th of November, 1899. He was married, in 1887, to Miss Dickson, who bore him two sons and four daughters.
The late Mr. R. Stewart