The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
The Normal Training College And School occupies a large and very imposing block of buildings at the corner of Montreal Street and Kilmore Street. The institution comprises the training college, the boys', girls', and infants' departments, and the Model School. The average number of students is about thirty-five, and they are all teachers in training who have served as pupilteachers. The principal is Mr. E. Watkins, B.A., and he is assisted by Mr. J. H. Wilson, M.A. The Model School, which is conducted in a room on the ground floor of the main building, fronting Kilmore Street, is designed to afford instruction to students in the methods of teaching in country schools, where the pupils range from infants to big boys and girls. The students who undergo a course of training at the Model School, have therefore an opportunity of ascertaining how a number of children in several different standards can best be taught by one teacher. The Boys' Department of the Normal School is also on the ground floor of the main building, and occupies five rooms on the Kilmore Street frontage, and one fronting Montreal Street. A fine gymnasium, well equipped, is at the back of the main building. There are about 300 boys on the roll of the headmaster, who has three assistants, besides students who are training at the institution. The Girls' Department is on the first floor. It occupies the whole of the Kilmore Street frontage, and part of that in Montreal Street, having in all seven rooms, including that of the headmistress. To the Infant Department there have been allotted five rooms on the ground floor of the building facing Montreal Street, and one on the first floor. The average attendance in the Infant Department is about 300. The kindergarten system is taught thoroughly, and recognised modern methods of instructing the very young are adopted generally throughout the institution.
Mr. Edwin Watkins, B.A., Principal of the Normal Training College and School, was born at Ludlow, Shropshire, England, in 1848, and was educated at St. John's Training College, Battersea. Mr. Watkins came out to Lyttelton per ship “Atrato,” in 1873, under engagement to the North Canterbury Board of Education. After two years as headmaster at Rangiora, he became tutor at the Training College, and on the death of the late Mr. J. V. Colborne-Veel, in 1895, was promoted to his present post. Mr. Watkins studied at Canterbury College and graduated B.A. under the New Zealand University. In 1897, he was president of the North Canterbury branch of the New Zealand Educational Institute. Mr. Watkins was married in London to a daughter of Mr. S. Loveless, of Clapham, and has one son and two daughters.
Standish and Preece photo
Mr E Watkins
Mr. Frederick James Wilkes, M.A., Part-time Lecturer at the Normal Training College, was born in 1876 at Nelson. He was educated at Nelson Boys' College, and was a student at Canterbury College, where he graduated M.A. in 1897. Mr Wilkes was appointed in 1898 to the position he holds at the Normal Training College.
Mr. John R. Sinclair, Master of the Christchurch Model School, was born at Yaldhurst, near Christchurch, in 1871, and educated at the local public school. He afterwards served four years as a pupil teacher at Tai Tapu, and in 1888 he entered the Normal School as a student. On leaving there, he held various headmasterships in the country, and in 1899 was appointed to his present position.
Mr. Jonathan Charles Adams, Headmaster of the Boys' Department of the Normal School, was born in Devonport, England, in 1847. He was educated at Winchester and Exeter Colleges, and graduated B.A. at Oxford. Coming out to Auckland in 1873 per ship “Wave Queen,” he settled in Taranaki, and established a private school in New Plymouth, which he conducted for over seven years. In 1881, Mr. Adams was appointed assistant-master at Parnell, under the Auckland Board of Education, and was subsequently transferred to Wellesley Street school. He was appointed headmaster of the Riverton District High School in 1883, five years later to the Waimate District High School, and obtained his present position in the beginning of 1893. Mr. Adams has been a member of the Auckland, Southland, and North Canterbury Educational Institutes; he was president of the South Canterbury branch, and subsequently vicepresident of the North Canterbury branch. [Mr. Adams resigned in July, 1902]
Mr. Christopher Thomas Aschmann, First Assistant Master of the Boys' Department of the Normal School, was born in 1869 at Akaroa and was educated at public schools at Lyttelton and elsewhere. He served as a pupil-teacher for four years in Lyllelton, and one year at the Normal Training College, after which he returned to the Lyttelton School as assistant master, remaining page 175 there for three years. He, subsequently, studied at Canterbury College and passed his examination for the first section of the B.A. degree. He was appointed second assistant master of the boys' department of the Normal School in 1892, and was promoted to the position the now occupies two years later. Mr. Aschmann is a member of the North Canterbury branch of the Educational Institute. He is a member of the Linwood Tennis Club. During his residence in Lyttelton he was fond of aquatics and was secretary and treasurer of the Lyttelton Rowing Club. Mr. Aschmann was married in 1894 to the second daughter of Mr. John Joyce, M.H.R.
Mr. Francis Thomas Evans, Second Assistant-Master in the Boys' Department of the Normal School, was born in Christchurch and educated at Christchurch East public school. Mr. Evans has for some time been a student at the Canterbury College, where he has succeeded in passing the first section for his B.A. degree. He commenced his scholastic career as a pupil-teacher at the East Christchurch school, where he served five years, and after a year's study at the Normal Training College, returned to East Christchurch as assistant-master, remaining there three years. He was appointed third assistant at the Normal School in 1892, and promoted three years later to the position he holds as above. Mr. Evans is a member of the North Canterbury Educational Institute. He has distinguished himself in athletics, haying long been a member of the Merivale Football Club, has played in no less than twenty-two representative matches for Canterbury, and represented the South Island against the English visiting team, has been a member of the Canterbury Rugby Union for ten years, and of the committee for seven years of that time, and he is also a member of the Midland Cricket Club. Mr. Evans was married in 1892 to a daughter of Mr. David Lamb, of Christchurch, and has one daughter.
Mr. F. T. Evans.
Miss Eliza Kitchingman, Headmistress of the Girls' Department of the Normal School, was born near London, England, and arrived in the Colony when but a few years of age. Miss Kitchingman was educated at the old Wesleyan school and privately, served five years as an assistant teacher at the Cust, and was afterwards a student at the Training College for twelve months. She attended at Canterbury College, where she passed the final examination for the B.A. degree and gained a C certificate. Miss Kitchingman was appointed second mistress of the Normal School in 1880, and eight years later was promoted to her present position. In addition to her duties as headmistress she assists in training teachers at the college, especially in the art of sewing, of which Miss Kitchingman is a specialist and believes in pupils not only being able to sew neatly, but to understand the cutting and making of garments. She has been a member of the North Canterbury Educational Institute for a long time.
Miss E. Kitchingman.
Miss Jane Margaret Hesketh Meadows, First Assistant-Mistress of the Girls' Department of the Normal School, was born in the city of Christchurch, and educated at Mrs. Stratton's private school, at the Girls' High School, and Normal School. She served four years as a pupil-teacher, and after twelve months at the Training College was appointed assistant in the Infant Department, was promoted to third assistant in the Girls' Department, and subsequently to the position she now holds. Miss Meadows is a member of the North Canterbury Educational Institute.
Mrs. Julia Watson Bullock (formerly Miss Barlow), Headmistress of the Infant Department of the Normal School, halls from Kington, Hereford, England, where she was born and educated. She arrived in Lyttelton per ship “Halcione” in 1880, and soon after became teacher at the infant school, having been teaching for five years before she left her native land. For some time she was assistant-mistress in the Girls' School, and took up her present duties in May, 1881. She was married in 1886 to Mr. S. Bullock, headmaster of the Fendalton school.
Gloucester Street Public School was established about the year 1877, at the time of the coming into operation of the present education system. The site occupied consists of about four acres of land, with a large frontage to Gloucester Street. The main building, which is partly two stories in height, is erected of wood on stone buttresses; it contains fourteen rooms, and is capable of accommodating 1200 children. In addition to the class-rooms mentioned, there is a large committee-room, and headmaster's office. The infant department is a separate building of wood, lighted from the roof, and contains four class-rooms. There is a subsidiary school connected with this establishment at Phillipstown, capable of accommodating 250 children. The main building in Gloucester Street is surrounded by extensive playgrounds, at one corner of which there is a fine swimming-bath, which was erected in 1880, and measures 80 × 35 feet, and has all the necessary dressing-rooms. The Gloucester Street school is understood to be the largest school in the Colony, the roll number being 1170, with a total average attendance of 1020.
Mr. John George Lawrence Scott, B.A., Headmaster of the Gloucester Street Public School, was born near London in 1850; was a pupil-teacher at St. Mary's school, Stoke Newington, and after five years apprenticeship, entered Battersea Training College with a first class Queen's Scholarship. He was placed at the head of the Battersea list at the annual certificate examination in 1870. Mr. Scott became headmaster at Red Hill school, Surrey, where he remained for three years, and afterwards for a short time held a similar position at Toddington, in Bedfordshire. He was engaged in England as a master under the Queenstand Education Department, and arrived in Brisbane in 1875 to enter upon his duties, being appointed to Sandy Creek school, where he remained till 1877, when he left for New Zealand. Arriving in Canterbury, Mr. Scott was appointed to the Rangiora school, and five years later was transferred to the Gloucester Street school as head master. Mr. Scott is a member of the New Zealand Educational Institute, of which he is treasurer, and has been president of the North Canterbury Branch. In the Masonic Order, he belongs to Canterbury Lodge, 1048, E.C., in which he has passed all the chairs, having been worshipful master in 1886, and was for some time District Grand Treasurer. Mr. Scott was first married in England, but his wife died in Queensland, leaving one daughter. While at Rangiora in 1879 he married a daughter of the late Mr. J. J. Robinson, of Rangiora, and three sons have been born of this union.
Mr. J. G. L. Scott.
Mr. Sidney Charles Owen, B.A., First Assistant-Master at the Gloucester Street School, halls from Surrey, England, where he was born in 1865. He was educated principally in London, and came to Lyttelton in 1879, per ship “Euterpe,” served for three years us a pupil-teacher at West Christchurch school and gained the training scholarship which entitled him to two years' tuition at the Normal School, in addition to the sum of £100. He obtained a C certificate, and was appointed assistant-master at West Christchurch, where he remained for eight years. Subsequently, Mr. Owen was appointed headmaster at Doyleston school for three years, and to the position he now holds in 1895. Mr. Owen is a graduate of Canterbury College, where he took his B.A. degree in 1895, and had his certificate raised to B. He is a member of the North Canterbury Branch of the New Zealand Educational Institute. In outdoor recreations he is a member of the Linwood Tennis Club. He is joint-author with Mr. F. W. Sandford of a book on “Manual Training in Woodwork for Boys.” In 1891 he was married to a daughter of Mr. J. Roberts, of the firm of Messrs. Aitken and Roberts.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. S. C. Owen.
Mr. John Samuel Kennedy, Second Assistant Master at the Gloucester Street Public School, was born in Christchurch in 1871, and received his primary education in country schools. He served his term as a pupil-teacher at the Opawa school, and was two years at the Normal Training College, having previously matriculated at Canterbury College. Mr. Kennedy holds a D2 certificate. He was appointed fourth assistant master at West Christchurch School, where he continued six years, and then became third assistant. Later he was transferred to the Gloucester Street. Mr. Kennedy is a member of the Educational Institute of North Canterbury, and also of the Canterbury Chess Club.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Miss K. Baldwin.
Mrs. Jessie Wetheral Wagstaff, First Assistant-Mistress of the Girls' Department at Gloucester Street School, is the youngest daughter of Mr. Robert Spence, architect, of Christchurch. She was born in Linlithgow, Scotland, and arrived in Lyttelton per ship “Duke of Edinburgh” in 1874. Mrs. Wagstaff received her education at Gloucester Street school and Canterbury College, served four years as a pupil-teacher and pursued the usual year's training at the Normal School. Having gained a D certificate, she was appointed first assistant at Papanui school, where she remained for six years, and obtained the position she now fills in 1895. She was married in 1892 to Mr. Charles Wagstaff.
Miss Harriett E. Starkiss, Headmistress of the Infant Department of the Gloucester Street School, is a native of Butleigh, Somersetshire, England. Arriving in the Colony with her parents at a tender age, Miss Starkiss was educated at West Christchurch school, where she served a term of five years as a pupil-teacher. Obtaining a D certificate after one year's training at the Normal School, she became assistant-mistress in the infant department at West Christchurch, and after serving there for three and a half years, was transferred to Waltham school in 1891 as infant mistress. In December, 1894, Miss Starkiss was appointed to the position she holds at Gloucester Street school. She is a member of the North Canterbury Branch of the New Zealand Educational Institute, and has made a study of Kindergarten work, which she teaches in the school. Before undergoing her training at the Normal School, Miss Starkiss matriculated at Canterbury College.
The West Christchurch Public School, which is erected on a spacious site of over four acres, fronting Lincoln Road and the South Park, consists of three separate buildings. These are all situated at a considerable distance from the road, so that the noise of the street traffic does not in any way interfere with school duties. The main building, which is erected in wood, one storey in height, with a tower and spire, has ten rooms with accommodation for 700 scholars. This building was completed in 1874, and a separate infant school, also of wood, containing six rooms, was subsequently erected. This was followed by the erection of a side school at Addington, and of a detached two storey brick building to accommodate four large classes of girls. There are nearly 1000 pupils belonging to the school. In the large playground between the school buildings and the Lincoln Road, there are swings for the younger children, gymnastic apparatus for the boys, and a very fine swimming-bath, measuring 75 by 30 feet, which is fed by a constant supply of water. The headmaster is assisted by twelve certificated teachers and nine pupilteachers.
Mr. Thomas Scholfield Foster, M.A., Headmaster of the West Christchurch School, is a native of London. He arrived in Wellington with his parents, by the ship “Philip Laing” on the last day of 1856, and, coming on at once to Lyttelton, the family settled in Canterbury. Mr. Foster spent his early school days at the Rangiora church school, and having gained a Somes' scholarship, removed to Christchurch to attand Christ's College, where he spent six years under the headmastership of the late Archdeacon Harris. Shortly after leaving school, Mr. Foster was appointed master of the Church school at Addington, and in September, 1874, when it, with other schools, was taken over by the West Christchurch school committee, he was appointed assistant-master at the main school. In May, 1881, he joined the staff of the Christchurch Boys' High School, and a year later, returned to the West Christchurch School as its headmaster. Mr Foster graduated B.A. at Canterbury College in 1881, and M.A. in the following year, with first-class honours in Languages and Literature. He has long been a member of the New Zealand Educational Institute, has served many years as a member of the Executive, and occupied the position of President for the year 1898. He has also been President of the North Canterbury Educational Institute, Canterbury College Dialectic Society, and of the University Court of Convocation. He is a member of the Board of Governors of Canterbury College, Chairman of the Canterbury College Graduates' Association and a Fellow (or member of the governing body) of Christ's College. In the Masonic Order he belongs to Lodge St. Arbans 2597, E.C., and is a Past Warden of the Grand Lodge of Canterbury. Mr. Foster was married, in 1882, to a daughter of the late Mr. W. Guise, Brittan. This lady died on the 30th of December, 1897, leaving one son and two daughters.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. T. S. Foster.
Mr. Peter Menzies, B.A., First Assistant-Master at West Christchurch Public School, was born in Christchurch in 1872, was educated at Heathcote Valley and West Christchurch schools, and pursued a course of study at Canterbury College, where he graduated B.A. in 1894. Mr. Menzles was appointed a pupil-teacher at West Christchurch school, where he served the usual term of four years, and was a year at the Normal Training School. In 1893 he was appointed fifth assistant-master at West Christchurch school, and gradually advanced in the service till 1898, when he was promoted to the position of second assistant. He became first assistant-master in April, 1902.
Miss Bethia Jack, B.A., Headmistress of the Girls' Department of the West Christchurch Public School, was born at Coatbridge, near Glasgow, and educated at Gartsherrie Academy. Beginning her scholastic career as pupil-teacher in her native land, Miss Jack on her arrival at Lyttelton per ship “Lactura,” completed her training at the West Christchurch school. After two years as mistress in country schools, Miss Jack returned to Christchurch, and has been connected with the West Christchurch school since that time. In 1889 she graduated B.A. at the New Zealand University, and holds a B1 certificate. In the beginning of 1894 Miss Jack became assistant English teacher at the Dunedin Girls' High School, and was appointed headmistress at West Christchurch school in September of that year.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Miss B. Jack.
Miss Margaret Menzies, First Assistant-Mistress in the Girls' Department at the West Christchurch School, was born at sea on board the “Lancashire Witch” on the voyage to the Colony. She was educated page 178 chiefly at the West Christchurch school, where she gained a Provincial Government scholarship tenable for two years, and afterwards served the usual term of four years as a pupil-teacher. She was subsequently for twelve months at the Normal Training School, where she received her certificate as a teacher, was appointed as junior assistantmistress at West Christchurch, and promoted in 1894 to her present position. Miss Menzies is a member of the Educational Institute for North Canterbury.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Miss M. Menzies.
Miss Mary A. Grant, Headmistress of the Infant Department at the West Christchurch School, hails from Blairgowrie, Scotland, where she was born and received her early education. Arriving in Lyttelton in the ship “Souakir,” Miss Grant became pupil-teacher and after four years' service was appointed assistant-mistress at the Waimate District High school, where she served seven years and during the last three years of that period was headmistress. Subsequently, she was appointed to the Ashburton Borough School, from which she was transferred in 1894 to her present position. Miss Grant is a member of the Educational Institute of North Canterbury. She has studied the Kindergarten system, which is taught in the school.
The Sydenham Public School, which is well situated on a large section of about three acres in extent, at the corner of Colombo and Brougham streets, was established in 1873, since which time it has been several times enlarged, and a twostorey brick building with six class-rooms has been erected for the accommodation of the girls. The main building is of wood, with a tower and spire. The total accommodation is equal to 1500 children: the roll number in July, 1898, was about 1200, the average attendance being about 1050, composed of 350 boys, 350 girls, and from 400 to 500 infants. The headmaster is assisted by five male and four female certificated teachers and ten pupil-teachers. There is a very good playground surrounding the school building, and the Sydenham Park, opposite, is available at all times for recreation. A fine swimming-bath, measuring 75 × 30 feet, has been constructed by the Sydenham Borough Council on the school premises, and is specially available for children attending the school.
Mr. John Baldwin, Headmaster of the Sydenham Public School, was born at Basingstoke, Hampshire, England, in 1840, and educated at the National School. He became a pupil-teacher in 1853 at Oldham, near Birmingham, and after five years' service gained a first-class scholarship in 1858, which entitled him to two years' instruction at St. Mark's College, Chelsea. He gained a first-class certificate in the second division. At the end of his course of training Mr. Baldwin was appointed headmaster at Weobley, Herefordshire, where he remained for four years, and was subsequently master at various other schools. He arrived in Lyttelton in 1874, per ship “Northampton,” having been engaged in London by Lord Lyttelton for service in Canterbury. He was for eight and a half years master at Brookside, on leaving which he was presented with a gold watch and chain by the residents. Mr. Baldwin has occupied his present position since December, 1882, and holds a C1 certificate. He was married in 1860 to a daughter of Mr. George Olliver, of Chilton Candover, near Alresford, and has four daughters and one son living.
Mr. Thomas Gibson McGallan. First Assistant-Master at the Sydenham Public School, was born in 1867 in Glasgow, and accompanied his parents in 1874 to Lyttelton, per ship “Varuna.” He served four years as a pupil-teacher at Sydenham school, one year at the Normal Training College, and passed his first half of the B.A. examination at Canterbury College. He holds a C2 certificate. For one year Mr. McGallan was headmaster at the German Bay main school, then fifth assistant-master at Sydenham in 1889, and advanced step by step till 1892, when he was appointed to the position he now holds. Mr. McGallan is a member of the Educational Institute of North Canterbury. He has been connected with football and cricket clubs, and has been on the committee of the Sydenham Cricket Club. As a member of the Masonic Order, he is attached to Lodge Convers. E.C. Mr. McGallan was married in 1890 to a daughter of Mr. G. Starkiss, of Spreydon, and has two sons and three daughters.
Miss Martha Dynes, Headmistress of the Girls' Department of the Sydenham Public School, is a native of Christchurch. Educated at Sydenham school, where also she served three and a half years as a pupil-teacher. Miss Dynes passed her final examination and obtained an E4 certificate. For one year she was headmistress at Ashburton main school, and afterwards studied for a year at the Normal Training College, her certificate being advanced to D2. She was afterwards appointed third assistant at Sydenham, from which she was promoted in January, 1895, to the office she now holds.
Miss Mary Hall, Infant Mistress at the Sydenham Public School, was born in the lake district, near Penrith, Cumberland, England. She arrived with her parents in Lyttelton in 1860, per ship “Robert Small,” and was educated at a denominational school, Kaiapoi, and privately. Miss Hall became a pupil-teacher at West Christchurch school, and subsequently at the Normal School, serving in all four years and gaining an E1 certificate. For three years she was assistant-mistress at the Normal School, and was appointed in May, 1880, to the position she still holds at the Sydenham school. Miss Hall is a member of the North Canterbury Educational Institute. For some time she specially studied the Kindergarten system, and has introduced it as far as possible at the Sydenham school.
The Addington Public School occupies a section of about four acres in extent with frontages to Jerrold Street and Somerset Street. It was first opened in 1881 as a side school attached to the West Christchurch school, and was erected into a main school in 1892. The main building is a single storey wooden structure containing three rooms, the infant-room being a separate building of two rooms. There are about 500 children on the roll, the average attendance being 430. The headmaster is assisted by five certificated and four pupil-teachers. There is a large play ground, with the usual accessories, and an excellent swimming-bath has been recently erected.
Mr. William Nixon Seay, Headmaster of the Addington Public School, was born in County Down, Ireland, in 1863. Arriving when an infant with his parents at Lyttelton, he was educated at the Kowai Pass school, and the Normal school. After two years' training at the Normal Training College, during which time he also studied at Canterbury College and the School of Art, Mr. Seay obtained a D1 certificate. He was appointed headmaster at Methven school, where he remained for two years; was subsequently for six years at Springfield school, afterwards for two years at Prebbleton school; and in 1893 he was appointed to the headmastership at Addington. He is a member of the North Canterbury Branch of the New Zealand Educational Institute, on which he has served as a member of the committee. Mr. Seay was previously connected with the Mid-Canterbury Branch of the New Zealand Educational Institute, of which he was vice-president for one year. He has generally taken an interest in the outdoor recreations of the boys; and as a tennisplayer, is a member of the Sydenham Tennis Club, of which he has been president and is still a vice-president. During his residence at Springfield and Prebbleton, Mr. Seay was instrumental in starting tennis clubs in those districts and has since page 179 been a member of the Linwood Tennis Club. As a member of the Sydenham Club, he has played in local matches and was successful in winning a handicap trophy. Mr. Seay was married in 1885 to a daughter of Mr. A. Mee, J.P., of Pleasant Point, and has three sons and two daughters.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. W. N. Seay.
Mr. Hans Kennedy, First Assistant Master at the Addington Public School, was born near Carleton and received most of his primary education at the West Christchurch school. At present he is an undergraduate of Canterbury College and holds a D2 certificate. He is fond of athletics and is a member of the Union Rowing Club, the Civil Service Rifle Corps, and the Canterbury Chess Club, as well as a footballer, cyclist, and cricketer.
Miss Mary Sisson Shirtcliffe, Infant Mistress at Addington Public School, is a native of Christchurch, and was educated at West Christchurch school, served four years as a pupil-teacher at East Christchurch. was two years training at the Normal Training College, and gained an E2 certificate. For seven years, subsequently, Miss Shirteliffe was infant mistress at the Hampstead school, Ashburton, from which she was promoted in 1893 to the position she now holds. Miss Shirteliffe understands Kindergarten work and teaches it in the school. For two years she attended the School of Art, and has made a special study of modelling in clay. She is a mem. ber of the North Canterbury branch of the New Zealand Educational Institute. Miss Shirtcliffe has taken a special Interest in amateur theatricals and has assisted in many entertainments for charitable purposes, being a proficient elocutionist.
The Waltham Public School. which was established in 1891, stands on three and a half acres of land at the corner of Waltham Road and Darwin Street. It is a single-storey brick building and contains five class-rooms. The roll number is 504 with an average attendance of 441. The headmaster is assisted by five certificates. and four pupil teachers. Surrounding the school is an exceptionally fine playground, the borders of which are planted with ornamental trees.
Mr. Thomas Hughes, B.A., Headmaster of the Waltham School, was born in Shropshire, England, in 1851, and educated in Chester, gained a Queen's scholarship entitling him to two years' tuition at the Chester Training College, and qualified as a teacher. He became second master at St. Paul's school, Birmingham, and eighteen months later was appointed headmaster, but within a year his health broke down. Mr. Hughes also studied at the Science and Art Department and gained several certificates. He was for a short time headmaster of Wribbenhall, Bendley, Worcestershire. Ordered out to New Zealand, he arrived in 1876, and entered the service of the Canterbury Education Board. Mr. Hughes was appointed headmaster at Hilton and a year later was transferred to Geraldine, where he remained for ten years; was next headmaster at the Papanui school for about five years, and was then appointed to his present position. Mr. Hughes took his B.A. degree at Canterbury College in 1894. He is a member of the North Canterbury branch of the New Zealand Educational Institute of which he has been president. He is also a member of the Board of Governors of Canterbury College, and a member of the Masonic order, attached to Lodge Canterbury. Mr. Hughes was married in 1875 to a daughter of Mr. T. Luntley, of Kington, Herefordshire, and has one son and three daughters.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. T. Hughes.
Mr. John Joseph Adams, First Assistant-Master at the Waltham Public School, was born in Christchurch in 1869, and served his four years' course of training as a pupilteacher at Papanui school. He had the usual year at the Normal Training College, and also studied at Canterbury College. Mr. Adams holds a B2 certificate.
Miss Annie King, Headmistress of the Waltham Public School, was born in Canterbury. She was educated at Sydenham, where she served as a pupil-teacher for four years, had a year's training at the Normal College and received an El certificate. For two years she was headmistress at Hororata school, was subsequently eight years at Rangiora and received her present appointment in 1894.
The Richmond Public School, which occupies a site of from two to three acres of land, having frontages to Stanmore Road and London and Cumberland Streets, was originally opened as a side school attached to Gloucester Street school. Since 1882 it has been an independent school. The main building is a two-storey brick structure, containing four rooms, each having accommodation for sixty-four children. The older parts of the buildings are of wood one storey in height. The larger school contains five class-rooms, each having accommodation for fifty children. In addition to this, there is the infant department of two rooms, with seating accommodation for 160, the total capacity being equal to 666 children. The roll number is 600, with an average attendance of about 520. The headmaster is supported by six certificated and five pupil-teachers. There is a large playground surrounding the various school buildings with the usual appointments. A notable feature in connection with the Richmond school is the magnificent swimmingbath, which, with the ground, cost about £900. It was constructed in 1892, the basin measuring about 75 by 35 feet, surrounded by a brick wall. The water supply is obtained from a second stratum well, which when first opened threw water to a height of about twenty-three feet above the surface of the ground; the flow is ten thousand gallons per hour. The bath holds 110,000 gallons, and provision is made for running off the overflow into the river Avon. This bath is considered by competent judges to be one of the best in New Zealand. It is fitted up with dressing-rooms, a good shower bath. and a platform for the use of visitors.
Mr. Charles Smith Howard, Headmaster of the Richmond Public School, is a Yorkshireman by birth. Born in Hull, in 1847, he came to Lyttelton in 1859 per ship “Zealandia,” and completed his education in New Zealand. For the first ten years of his Colonial experience he was engaged in farming and country life generally, but took to scholastic work by preference in 1869, when he joined the Provincial Education Department as teacher of the Loburn public school, where he remained for eight years. After five years at Woodend, Mr. Howard was appointed page 180 in 1882 to the charge of the Richmond school, and holds a D1 certificate. He was elected a member of the Board of Governors of Canterbury College by the teachers in 1897, and re-elected in the following year. Mr. Howard has been connected with the New Zealand Educational Institute for many years, and was president of the North Canterbury Branch for 1896–97. He has been several times elected delegate to the council of the Institute. A member of the Wesleyan Church, Mr. Howard has long been deeply interested in the North Canterbury Sunday School Union, has held the office of inspector for three years, and was president of the Union for two years. He has been several times elected representative to the annual conference in connection with the Church in New Zealand. Some years ago when it was proposed to raise the school age to seven years with a view to retrenchment. Mr. Howard published a pamphlet in opposition to the proposal, and the arguments set forth were not without some Influence in preventing the idea being carried out.
Mr. George Schneider, First Assistant Master at the Richmond Public School, was born in Christchurch in 1868, and was educated at East Christchurch Public School, where he served four years as a pupil-teacher. He underwent a year's training at the Normal Training College, and now holds a C2 certificate, Mr. Schnelder was appointed second master at the Rangiora school in 1888. Five years later he was transferred to the Richmond school to fill the position which he has since held. Mr. Schneider is an undergraduate of Canterbury College and has passed the first section for his B.A. degree.
The Phillipstown School is situated at the corner of Phillips Street and Duncan's Road, and has a large playground of about four acres. The school is for children in the infant classes and up to Standard II. It was once a side-school attached to the East Christchurch Main School, in Gloucester Street, but is now a separate institution, though it is still under the control of the East Christchurch committee. There are about 150 boys and 130 girls on the roll, and the average attendance is about 220. Miss S. L. Robinson is the headmistress, and Miss E. H. Glanville second mistress, and there are four pupil-teachers.
St. Albans Public School, which stands on a section of fifteen acres of land, having frontage to Crescent Road and School Lane, was established many years ago, the original building having been from time to time enlarged to meet the requirements of the growing population. The building is of wood on concrete foundations, one storey in height, surrounded by concrete approaches, and contains eight large rooms together with four large porches. It is a mixed school with an infant department, and the roll number is 560, with an average attendance of 490. The headmaster is supported by seven certificated teachers and four pupil-teachers. There is a remarkably fine playground together with a grass tennis court, which is set apart for the use of the girls. The grounds are surrounded by a plantation of oak trees, and there is a residence for the headmaster and also one for the caretaker on the premises. The entire property is beautifully laid out and thoroughly well kept. A feature of the St. Albans school ground is to be found in the children's gardens. There are sixteen plots laid out for the boys, and a like number for the girls, and each of these is worked by two children, who are encouraged in every possible way to develop a taste for this healthy and interesting occupation, and it may be remarked that several children have already competed successfully at various shows. There is also a capital swimmingbath connected with the school, measuring about 70 by 30 feet.
Mr. James Boxer Mayne, B.A., Headmaster of the St, Albans School, is a Cornishman. Arriving in 1876, Mr. Mayne was educated at various schools in Christchurch. As a pupil-teacher he served four years at West Christchurch public school and gained a D2 certificate, being appointed third assistant-master at Lyttelton school. Mr. Mayne was third master at the Normal School for eighteen months, headmaster at Fernside for three years, at Hampstead for about five years, for six years at Ashburton, and took up his duties at St. Albans in the beginning of 1897. He is a member of the North Canterbury Branch of the New Zealand Educational Institute, and has always been interested in cricket and football. He was married in 1882 to a daughter of the late Mr. Edmund Kelly, of London, and has two daughters and one son.
Miss Martha Douds, Headmistress of St. Albans Public School, was born at the North Road. Papanui. educated at Mount Grey Downs school and at the Normal School, Christchurch, where she came out equal for the dux medal in the Girls' Department before becoming a student at the Normal Training College, which she attended for two years. Miss Douds obtained a D2 certificate and was appointed headmistress at the Cust school, and, subsequently, assistant-mistress at Lyttelton West. She was appointed to the position of headmistress at Papanul in 1893, and was transferred to St. Albans five years later. Miss Douds is a member of the North Canterbury Educational Institute, and has gone through a course of training in connection with the St. John Ambulance Association, gaining the medallion.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Miss M. Douds.
St. Albans Side School occupies a section of land between Leinster and Alkman's roads, and was erected in 1887. The building is of one storey of the usual design, and contains three rooms. There are 128 children on the roll, with an average attendance of 108. The headmistress is assisted by one certificated and one pupilteacher.
Miss S. E. Smith. Headmistress of the St. Albans Side School, was born in Northumberland, England, and educated in Neweastle. She arrived in Lyttelton per ship “Southesk,” in 1879, and became a pupilteacher at St. Albans. After four years' training, she secured an El certificate, and was appointed to her present, position in 1887.
The Woolston Public School, which is one of the oldest in the provincial district of Canterbury, stands on about two or three acres of laud. The main school, which is of wood and iron, consists of six rooms, and the infants' school, of brick and cement, contains two large rooms. A portion of the playground surrounding the main school has been asphalted, and there are the usual swings and other appliances for recreation. The headmaster's residence is erected on the school grounds adjoining the main building. The number of scholars on the roll is over 500, and the average attendance about 450 There are five certificated teachers in addition to the headmaster, and four pupil-teachers.
Mr. Archibald Binnie, Headmaster at the Woolston Public School, entered the service of the North Canterbury Education Board in 1878 as assistant-master at Lyttelton public school. In July of the following year, he was appointed first assistant-master at Sydenham School, where he remained till October, 1889, when he received his present appointment.
Mr. William Alexander Kennedy, First Assistant-Master at the Woolston PubHe School, was born in Christchurch and educated at the West Christchurch school, where he served four years as a pupil-teacher. Mr. Kennedy matriculated at Canterbury College in 1885, and was for two years at the Normal Training College, where he took his first certificate at the end of 1886. In the following year he passed the first section of the B.A. examinations, and has since received a C2 certificate. For two years and a half Mr. Kennedy was first assistant-master page 181 at the Ashburton school, and became second assistant at Woolston in 1890.
Mr. Thomas Douds, Second AssistantMaster at the Woolston Public School, was born at Mount Grey Downs. He was educated at the Mount Grey Downs and Ashley public schools. Mr. Douds served his pupilteachership of four years at the Lyttelton Borough School, and after the usual twelve months' training at the Normal College, obtained a D2 certificate, and received his present appointment.
Miss Anne Elizabeth Barker, Headmistress of the Infant Department of the Woolston Public School, is a native of Sheffield, England. She became a pupilteacher in her native town and gained a certificate under the English Education Department, being specially trained as an infant mistress. Before coming out to the Colony, she was in charge of Crooke's Endowed School, Sheffield, for three years. Arriving in Lyttelton per s.s. “Tainui,” in 1887, Miss Barker entered the service of the North Canterbury Education Board and was appointed headmistress at Belfast, where she remained till 1894 and was transferred to the Woolston school.
The Opawa Public School was opened about 1871, being one of the earliest established by the Provincial Government of Canterbury. The building, which is a singlestorey wooden one of six rooms, stands on two acres, fronting the Opawa and Garland's roads. There is accommodation for about 320 children, the number on the roll is 285, with an average attendance of 254. The teaching staff consists of the headmaster, assistant master, two certificated mistresses, and two pupil teachers. The headmaster's residence adjoins the school. Conveniently situated on the river are two baths set apart for the boys and girls respectively.
Mr. George Petrie, Headmaster of the Opawa Public School, was born at Woodend, Canterbury, in 1863, was educated at the East Oxford school, where also he served a pupil-teachership for four years. He gained a D certificate on the completion of a year's training at the Normal School Training College, and subsequently obtained the C certificate through the University. He served for three years as assistant at West Christchurch School and subsequently was master of the Model School for two years and a half, when he resigned in consequence of a breakdown in his health. After spending four years in visiting England and Scotland, Mr. Petrie returned to the Colony, and was appointed headmaster of Opawa school on the 1st of August, 1893.
Miss Charlotte Maud Banks, Headmistress of the Infant Department of the Opawa school, was born in Christchurch and educated at the Normal School and Girls' High School. She served two years at the Normal Training College, gaining a D certificate, was appointed assistant mistress at Opawa school in 1888, and promoted ten years later to her present position.
The Fendalton District School, which was established in 1874, occupies a site of two acres in extent with a considerable frontage to the road. The building is a wooden structure of one storey, and contains four rooms, with accommodation for about 260 children. The roll number is 275, with an average attendance of 230. There are three certificated teachers and one pupilteacher in addition to the headmaster.
Mr. Samuel Bullock, Headmaster of the Fendalton District School, was born at Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England, and was educated in Shrewsbury, and at Saltley College, Warwickshire, and having obtained a first-class English certificate, he became a schoolmaster. He successively held appointments at Port Glasgow in Renfrewshire, at Shrewsbury, and at Kington, Herefordshire.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. S. Bullock.
Mr. Bullock came to the Colony per s.s. “Ionic,” in 1884, and was at once placed on the staff of the North Canterbury Education Board, with a D1 certificate. In the same year he was appointed to his present position. Mr. Bullock was married in 1886 to Miss Barlow, of Christchurch, headmistress of the Infant department of the Normal School. Mrs Bullock is referred to elsewhere in connection with the latter institution.
Miss Catherine Mary Tulley, Headmistress of the Fendalton District School, was born in Canterbury. She was educated at Riccarton school and at Miss Sheath's private school, and having passed her examination as assistant-mistress, received an E2 certificate. She was appointed in 1879 to her present position. Miss Tulley resides at Middleton, Upper Riccarton, a distance of three miles from the school, and finds bicycling of Inestimable value.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Miss C. M. Tulley.