The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Hamilton is the chief town of the Waikato. It is built on both banks of the river of that name, and lies partly in the county of Waikato and partly in that of Waipa. The town is eighty-six miles south of Auckland, on the Auckland-Waikato railway, and stands on high ground and is extremely picturesque. It is in communication by rail with Cambridge, Te Aroha, and the intervening towns, as well as with the King Country, and is an excellent place to stop at to break the journey to the Hot Lakes. Two fine bridges span the river at Hamilton—one the railway, and the other the ordinary traffic bridge. The principal business street of the town is on the west side of the river. The road is wide, and there are some very fine business premises with handsome verandahs, and two very fine hotels. The growth of the town has been one of uniform progress. It is an exceedingly pretty spot, the river being one of the principal features in the landscape. Hamilton is popular as a health resort, though not quite so high as Cambridge, a few miles further up the river. The town possesses a brewery, cheese and butter factory, soap factory, brick and pottery, and other industrial works. There are several fine buildings and public parks in both parts of the page 739 town. The Waikato hospital, about two miles distant, is a fine and well-conducted institution, very pleasantly situated and possessing an extensive view of the country. Hamilton has two newspapers, four churches, two public schools, a public library, lodges, courthouse, police station, and post and telegraph offices, and the Bank of New Zealand has one of its largest branches in the town. The surrounding country consists of fine agricultural land.
The Hon. John Blair Whyte was called to the Legislative Council in 1891, but soon ceased to be a member on account of his absence in England. For many years he was a well known farmer in the Waikato district. He was mayor of Hamilton for two years. When the Bank of New Zealand was in difficulties Mr. Whyte was appointed referee as to land values, and he went to England in connection with banking matters. He returned again to Auckland as the representative of a wealthy English syndicate to report on goldmining in the Auckland province. Subsequently he went to New South Wales in a similar capacity, and afterwards returned to England, where he still (1901) resides.
Mr. Frederick William Lang, Member of the House of Representatives for Waikato, was born at Blackheath, Kent, in 1852, and is the youngest son of the late Mr. Oliver Lang, of Vanburgh Park, Blackheath. He was educated at the local school, in his native place, and at the age of nineteen years left England for Auckland. Shortly after his arrival, he settled in the Waikato district, and began farming near the Waipa River. In 1893, Mr. Lang was elected to a seat in the General Assembly for Waipa, by a majority of 905 votes over Mr. Gerald Peacock, and three years later was returned for the electorate of Waikato by an overwhelming majority. At the general election of 1899 he polled 2337 votes to his opponent's 2015. Mr. Lang was for more than ten years a member of the Waipa County Council, of which he was chairman for six years, and was for some time on the Waikato Hospital and Charitable Aid Board.
Borough of Hamilton.
The Borough Of Hamilton covers an area of 1000 acres, and at the census of April, 1901, it had a population of 1246. It has about 650 ratable properties with a ratable annual value of £7780, on which a rate of is in the £ is levied. Hamilton is not divided into wards. It has no drainage scheme, no water supply, nor a fire brigade, but these matters are likely to receive attention from the corporation at an early date. The borough has a domain and reserves, which comprise the town belt on both sides of the river and a good many allotments in the town, as well as Sydney Square and Lake reserve. A revenue of £158 per annum is derived from rentals, and the money is spent in improving the domain, on which £1500 has already been expended. Sydney Square on the east side of the river is a very fine cricket, football, and general recreation ground. The lake reserve consists of from thirty to forty acres on the west side of the river, and it is well planted with ornamental trees. The present members of the Council are Mr. R. W. Dyer, Mayor, and Messrs J. S. Bond, E. J. Davey, W. Dey, A. Coyle, T. Slade, R. Parr, I. Coates, G. W. Sare and J. R. E. Hatrick.
His Worship The Mayor Mr. Robert William Dyer, who is a Member of the Hamilton Borough Council, is also a barrister and solicitor at Hamilton. He was born at Mahurangi in 1859, educated at the Church of England Grammar School, Parnell, and at St. John's College, Tamaki; was articled to Mr. E. A. Mackechnie, and admitted to the bar in 1881.
Councillor James Shiner Bond, who was elected to the Hamilton Borough Council in September, 1900, is referred to in another article as the proprietor of the “Waikato Times.”
Councillor I. Coates.
Councillor Edwin J. Davey, who was returned as a Member of the Hamilton Borough Council in 1900, is a general storekeeper in Victoria Street, Hamilton. He was born in London in 1872, and accompanied his parents to Auckland in 1876.
Councillor James Robert Ellison Hatrick, who served as a Member of the Hamilton Borough Council about 1885 for a short time, was born in Londonderry, Ireland, in 1852, and came to Auckland in 1880, by the ship “Inglewood.” In 1881 he settled in Hamilton as a draper, and is still in business, and again a member of the Council.
Councillor Robert Parr, who was elected a Member of the Hamilton Borough Council in April, 1901, is referred to elsewhere.
Councillor Thomas Slade, who has held a seat on the Hamilton Borough Council since 1890, was born at B-oxwich, Staffordshire, England, in 1858. He was brought up as a blacksmith and coachbuilder in his native place, and arrived in Auckland in 1880 by the ship “Ben Nevis.” After living for about a year at Ohinemuri Mr. Slade settled in Hamilton where he worked for about four years at his trade. In 1885 he established himself in business as a coachbuilder and general smith. His premises are erected on a corner section of about two acres and a half, on the east side of the river at Hamilton. The buildings include a blacksmith's shop, a wheelwright's shop, a paint shop and a show room. Mr. Slade undertakes all classes of coachbuilding and paint work. On the opposite side of the road he has a freehold section of three acres and a half, on which he has his private residence. Mr. Slade has taken an interest in local affairs for many years. He took a leading part in connection with the formation of the racing club, and has long been a member of the committee. He is a Master Mason of Lodge Beta-Waikato, No. 12. Mr. Slade was married, in 1883, to a daughter of the late Mr. S. E. Richards, of the Thames, and has one daughter.
Mr. Charles John Wright Barton, Town Clerk, Treasurer, Valuer, Collector, and Inspector of Nuisances for the Borough of Hamilton, was born in Daventree, Northampton, England, in 1852, and arrived in Auckland with his parents by the ship “North Fleet” in 1854. For about eighteen years he followed farming, and was appointed to his present offices in July, 1889. He also acts as secretary for the Waikato Hospital and Charitable Aid Board, and for the public library and the domain, which are under the control of the Council. As a Freemason, he is a Past Master of Lodge Beta, No. 12, N.Z.C.
Mr. George Edgecumbe, formerly Mayor of Hamilton, was born in 1845 in Chippenham, Wiltshire, England, and came to Auckland in 1864 by the ship “John Duncan.” In the following year he settled in the Waikato, where he was employed by the late Mr. W. Y. Young, merchant, in whose service he continued for two years. In 1867 Mr. Edgecumbe commenced business at Ngaruawahia as a storekeeper and timber merchant, but removed to Hamilton ten years later, and soon after joined the staff of the “Waikato Times,” of which he became successively manager, part proprietor with the late Mr. F. A. Whitaker, and then sole proprietor. On the sale of the “Waikato Times,” Mr. Edgecumbe, in 1896, established the “Waikato Argus.” Mr. Edgecumbe has been well known in public life in the Waikato. He became a member of the Borough Council in 1877, afterwards held the position of acting mayor for some time, and became mayor in December, 1899. As a Freemason he is a Past Master of Lodge Beta, Hamilton, of which he was secretary for about thirteen years. He is also a member of the Grand Lodge and of the Board of Benevolence. He is treasurer of the South Auckland Racing Club president of the Waikato Rugby Union and of the Hamilton Cricket Club. Mr. Edgecumbe was married, in 1871, to a sister of Mr. James Hume, who was well known for many years in Hamilton as manager of the Bank of New Zealand, and has three sons and six daughters.
Mr. William Australia Graham, who was Mayor of Hamilton for 1884–87 inclusive, is the third son of the late Mr. George Graham, who is referred to in the political section of this volume as one of the prominent public men of Auckland. Mr. W. A. Graham was born on the 22nd of November, 1841, in Auckland, and was educated there and at the Clewer House School, Windsor, and Exeter Heles Grammar School, England, whence he returned to New Zealand in 1854. Mr. Graham is a surveyor by profession, but is well known throughout the colony as one who has a great influence with the Maoris. He has on many occasions acted in the capacity of mediator, and has often been instrumental in preventing unpleasantness, and acted as interpreter for General Carey and Mr. George Graham at the signing of peace and submission to the Queen's authority by Tamehana te Waharoa, which ended the Waikato war. Mr. Graham is much respected and trusted by the natives, and his advice is often sought on important public matters. He was presented by King Mahuta with the royal Patuparaoa, which means that its possessor is a man of equity—a peacemaker or mediator. It is a white mere, as distinguished from the greenstone mere, which means war. Mr. Graham has resided in Hamilton since 1882, and during his mayoralty was presented with a silver cradle in recognition of the birth of one of his children. He was married, in 1872, to the eldest daughter of the late Mr. Walter Coombes, of the old firm of Coombes and Daldy, and a grand-daughter of Captain Pulham, of the East India service, and has three sons and six daughters.
Mr. John Knox, J.P., who was Mayor of the borough of Hamilton for the years 1880 to 1882, and served about seventeen years as a councillor, was born in County Down, Ireland, in 1833. He came out to the colonies in 1852, and was an auctioneer in Victoria from 1857 to 1863. He joined the 4th Waikato Militia in Melbourne, and served through the campaign as colour-sergeant till disbandment in 1866. Mr. Knox has been an auctioneer in the Waikato district for thirty-five years. He was appointed a J.P. in 1880.
Waikato County Council.
The land in the county of Waikato is of a mixed character, but much of it is well adapted for pastoral purposes. It has an area of 591 square miles, and according to the census taken in April, 1901, has a population of 3,184. The capital value of the property in the county in July, 1900, was £574,884, and there is a general rate of £1/4d in the £. The county debt amounted on the 31st of March, 1901, to £1158 18s 2d, and the revenue for the year ending on the same date, was £1103 5s 8d. The ridings are Huntly, Kirikiriroa, Tamahere, Cambridge, and Whangamarino, in each of which there are road boards. To these boards the Council has delegated all its powers in respect to roads and bridges, except in the case of bridges which have more than a span of 30 feet. Members for 1901–02: Mr. A. Primrose, chairman, and Messrs J. P. Bailey, A. McRae, J. Gordon, S. T. Seddon, A. T. F. Wheeler and W. H. Thomas. The council meets at Hamilton on the fourth Friday in the months of March, May, July, September, November, and January. Captain James McPherson is county clerk, and Mr. E. Fairburn, engineer.
Councillor Andrew Primrose, who has been Chairman of the Waikato County Council since 1884 and represented Kirikiriroa riding for some years previously, was also for many years prior to 1898 chairman of the Waikato Hospital Board. He was born in Fifeshire, Scotland, in 1825, and was brought up to country life. In 1849 he removed to Ireland, where he was engaged in farming for a number of years. Mr. Primrose arrived in Auckland by the ship “King of Italy, in 1865. Two years later he settled in the Waikato, and purchased 500 acres of land, which has since been known as Cherrybrook Farm. Mr. Primrose also owns 450 acres at Hukanui.
Councillor John Powell Bailey, J. P., who represents the Huntly Riding on the Waikato County Council, has also been a member of the Huntly Road Board since 1895. He was born in Dublin, Ireland, in 1862, and came to New Zealand in the following year with his parents. In 1883 he settled in the Huntly district, where he has 150 acres of land. Mr. Bailey was married, in 1883, to a daughter of Mr. J. Arkell, of Auckland, and has three daughters and two sons.
Councillor John Gordon, who is a Member of the Waikato County Council, on which he represents Kirikiriroa riding, is referred to in another article as chairman of the Kirikiriroa Road Board, and as manager of the Woodlands estate.
Councillor A. McRae is a Member of the Waikato County Council, on which he represents Whangamarino riding.
Councillor Samuel Thomas Seddon, who has represented the Kirikiriroa riding on the Waikato County Council for a good many years, and has served on many other public bodies, was born in Leicestershire, England, in 1830. In 1860 he arrived in Auckland by the ship “Excelsior, and after ten years at Howick, purchased his fine property in the Hamilton district. Mr. Seddon married a daughter of the late Rev. T. Aulezark, vicar of Stafford, and has two sons and one daughter.
Councillor William Henry Thomas, who has represented Cambridge riding in the Waikato County Council since 1895, and served for six years on the Cambridge Road Board, was born at Penryn, Cornwall, England, in 1862. He is a stonemason by trade, and came to Auckland in the “Earl Granville, in 1880. Mr. Thomas settled in Cambridge and worked as a contractor till 1883, when he commenced farming on his own account. He has served as a member of the Hospital and Charitable Aid Board, and as a Freemason he is attached to Lodge Alpha. Mr. Thomas was married, in 1893, to a daughter of Mr. A. Donaldson, of Okaihau, Bay of Islands, and has two daughters.
Councillor A. T. F. Wheeler is a Member of the Waikato County Council on which he represents Tamahere riding, and is referred to in another article as chairman of the Tamahere Road Board.
Capt. James McPherson, Clerk and Treasurer of the Waikato County Council, landed in Auckland in 1861 with his regiment, the 70th Surrey, from India. He served with the 93rd Highlanders throughout the Eastern campaign of 1854–5, including the battles of Alma and Balaclava, capture of Kertch and Yenikale, siege and fall of Sebastopol, and the assaults of 18th June and 8th September (medal with three clasps and Turkish medal). He was also in the Indian Mutiny campaign of 1857–9, including the relief of Lucknow by Sir Colin Campbell and the assaults on the Secundrabagh (slightly wounded), battle of Cawnpore on 6th of December, 1857, and pursuit of the rebels to Seraighat, the action of Khodagunge, storming of the Begum's palace, and capture of Lucknow. He took part in the attack on Fort Royea and in the campaign of Rohileund, including the battles of Allygunge and Bareilly, Capt. McPherson was through the Oude campaign of 1858–9, including the action at Pusgaon and took part in the attack on Fort Mitowlee and at Biswa (medal with two clasps). In New Zealand Capt. McPherson served with the 70th Regiment and Commissariat Transport Corps during the war in 1861–5, for which he has the New Zealand medal. He settled near Hamilton, Waikato, in 1866, and re-received his present appointment in 1877.
Captain J. McPherson.
The No. 1 Waikato Mounted Rifles were established about 1887 as an infantry corps, but in 1897 the corps was changed to a mounted troop. The officers for 1900 were Captain W. H. Hume and Lieutenants A. B. Heather and G. C. Ramsey. The strength of the troop, including officers, is ninety-one.
Captain William Hamilton Hume, of the No. 1 Waikato Mounted Rifles, was born in Hamilton in 1877. He is the third son of Mr. J. Hume, who was for many years manager of the Bank of New Zealand, Hamilton, Mr. Hume was educated at the Thames High School, joined the staff of Messrs McNicol and Co., as clerk in 1893, and has continued in the employment of that firm. He joined the volunteers as a private in 1897, was promoted to a lieutenancy in 1899, and became acting-captain in March, 1900. Mr. Hume is a member of several local athletic clubs.
General Government Offices.
The Hamilton Post And Telegraph Office was established about 1870, but the original building was destroyed by fire in October, 1899. The office is considered one of the most important in the Waikato. A large number of mails are received and despatched daily, and within the radius of one mile on each side of the river, there are two deliveries of letters every day. A subsidiary post office is stationed on the east or Kirikiriroa side of the river.
Mr. Julian Francis Long, Postmaster in charge at Hamilton, was born in South Australia in 1847, was brought to Auckland when an infant, and was educated at Prince Albert College. On returning to Australia after being seventeen years in New Zealand, Mr. Long joined the Telegraph Department in Tasmania, but came back to Auckland in 1870, and entered the department there as a cadet. He was appointed to Hamilton in 1895.
The Hamilton Railway Station is of wood and iron, and has a ladies' waiting room, a public lobby, stationmaster's room, a long passenger platform, and a large goods shed. Four trains pass the station daily, each way.
Mr. James William Oldham, Stationmaster at Hamilton, was born in Dublin in 1853, and arrived with his parents in Auckland by the ship “Northumberland” in 1860. He entered the service of Messrs Brogden and Sons, railway contractors, was afterwards transferred to the public service, and was appointed to Hamilton in 1892.
Government Stock Department. This department for the Waikato special division has its office in Hamilton, and supervises the district lying between the mouth of the Mokau river and the Waikato Heads, thence from Mercer by Miranda to the Bay of Plenty, and includes the whole of the King Country.
Mr. David Ross, Inspector of Stock for the district, was born in Otago in 1865. He entered the Government's service in 1890 as a rabbit inspector in Central Otago, and three years later he was appointed to take charge of the Waikato special division.
The Waikato Hospital And Charitable Aid Board controls the expenditure on charitable aid for the counties of Piako, Waikato, Waipa, and Raglan, and for the boroughs of Hamilton, Te Aroha, and Cambridge, and raises contributions from these bodies for the maintenance of the Waikato Hospital. The Old Men's Home is under the Board's management. Members for 1900: Mr. W. Dey, chairman, and Messrs W. P. Chepmill, A. J. Farmer, A. Primrose, A. T. F. Wheeler, J. P. Bailey, J. Fisher, F. J. Vickers, P. O'Connor, B. Hewitt, G. S. Whiteside, W. F. Buckland and E. Gallagher; with Mr C. J. W. Barton as secretary and treasurer.
The Waikato Hospital occupies a beautiful site on an elevated position, whence fine views of lake, river, and country are obtainable. The site consists of eight acres of well kept land; and the hospital, which was erected in 1892, contains five wards with thirty-two beds. It is of one storey, built of wood, and has a verandah on the north side. There is a well lighted, well equipped operating room, and two small fever wards, with eight beds. The nurses' house, which adjoins the hospital, has accommodation for eight nurses, besides the matron. The medical officer's residence is also on the property and contains five large rooms. The Old Men's Home stands within the hospital grounds.
Dr. Hugh Douglas, M.B.C.M., is the Medical Officer-in-charge of the Waikato Hospital. He was born at Newcastle-on-Tyne, England, in 1870, and educated at Edinburgh, where he took his degree. In 1896 he came to Auckland as surgeon on board the s.s. “Moana,” and after a short time at the Auckland Hospital, commenced practice at Devonport. In March, 1899, he was appointed to his present position.
Miss Elizabeth Margaret Rothwell, Matron of the Waikato Hospital, was born at Killinimanagh, Ireland, and when an infant came with her parents to Auckland by the ship “Caduceus.” Miss Rothwell was educated privately in Hamilton, and joined the staff of the Hospital as probationer in 1891. Two years and three months later she passed her full examination as a qualified nurse, and having served for three years as charge nurse, occupied the position of head nurse till she was promoted to the matronship in 1896.
Miss E. M. Rothwell.
The Waikato Old Men's Home, which is situated on a portion of the Hospital grounds, was erected in 1899. It has accommodation for twenty inmates, and the number in residence in 1900 was seventeen. A good vegetable garden and a small orchard, which adjoins the Home, furnishes some employment for the old men, and most of the vegetables for the Home and the Hospital are produced in this way.
The Hamilton High School (Frederick Evison Gibbons, principal) was founded in 1900. The usual High School curriculum is followed in connection with the school, and pupils are trained with a view to their presenting themselves for Civil Service and University examinations. Book-keeping and shorthand are taught. There is accommodation for ten boarders, and about forty pupils are in attendance, including those who come to the night classes. The High School is situated at the lake near the hospital, and is a large eight-romed house specially built for the purpose. There is every accommodation for pupils, including a gymnasium and a playground, and the lake affords facilities for boating and bathing.
The Hamilton West Public School has three class rooms and three porches, with accommodation for 220 children. There are 158 names on the roll with an average attendance of 130. The master is assisted by one certificated teacher and two pupil teachers.
Mr. William Harold Worsley, Headmaster of Hamilton West Public School, was born in 1865 near Manchester, England. He arrived in Auckland in 1880, and served his time as a pupil teacher in that city. Prior to his appointment to Hamilton West in 1900 Mr. Worsley was for seven years in charge at Warkworth.
The Hamilton East Public School is situated on the banks of the Waikato river, immediately facing Hamilton West. The building is a wooden structure containing various class-rooms with all necessary appointments. There is an average attendance of about 120. The teaching staff consists of the headmaster, Mr. Stevens, and two assistants. A residence for the headmaster is in close proximity to the school building.
Mr. Percy E. Stevens, Headmaster of the Hamilton East School, was born in Jersey, Channel Islands, and educated at the Victoria College, Jersey. He left his native land for Auckland, New Zealand, in 1875, in the ship “Lutterworth.” On his arrival he received an appointment as junior teacher at the Beresford Street school, and afterwards filled the position of headmaster successively at Paterangi and Tauranga, and obtained his present appointment in 1886.
St. Mary's Convent, Hamilton, stands on a section of two acres in extent. It was established about 1886 by Bishop Buck, and is of two stories and contains fifteen rooms. Eight sisters, who belong to a French order of sisterhood, are in charge, and there were twenty-one pupils in attendance during 1900. A parochial school, adjoining the convent, is attended by about sixty children.
St. Peter's Church, Hamilton, was built and consecrated in 1887, and has accommodation for 230 worshippers. The office bearers are Mr. I. Coates, clergyman's warden, Mr P. Stevens, people's warden, and Messrs Atkinson, Birnie, Dyer, Edgecumbe, Gwynne, Salmon, Sandes, Sare, and Swarbrick, vestrymen. The Rev. H. D. A. Major is the vicar, and the parish, which is in the archdeaconry of Waikato, comprises the sub-districts of Whatawhata (St. Barnabas), Tuhikaramea Kirikiriroa, Marshmeadows and Tauwhare.
The Rev. Henry Dewsbury Alves Major, M.A., who has been Vicar of St. Peter's Church, Hamilton, since Easter, 1900, was born at Stoke, Devonshire, England, in 1871. He arrived in Auckland with his parents by the ship “Lady Jocelyn,” in 1879, and studied at St. John's College, Tan aki, and at the Auckland University College, where he graduated B.A. in 1894 and M.A., with first class honours in geology, in the following year. He was also successful in gaining the Natural Science Senior Scholarship of the New Zealand University in 1895. He became assistant curate at St. Mark's, Remuera, in Advent, 1895, and in 1899 was appointed curate-in-charge-of-Waitotara, where he remained until he was appointed to Hamilton.
Rev. Robert O'Callaghan Biggs, sometime Minister of the Church of England and Vicar of St. Peter's, Hamilton, was born at Bandon, County Cork, Ireland, in 1826, being the second son of Mr. Thomas Joseph Biggs of that town. He was educated at various schools in County Cork, and left his native land in 1862 for Auckland in the ship “Claremont,” arriving in March, 1863. From that time until 1882 Mr. Biggs was engaged in farming and mercantile pursuits, but in the latter year commenced to study for holy orders. He was ordained deacon in 1877 and priest in 1882, receiving the rites of ordination from Bishop Cowie, now Primate of New Zealand. Mr. Biggs was successively curate at Howick, Papakura, and Wairoa, prior to his appointment as vicar of St. Peter's, Hamilton. He died in October, 1899.
St. Mary's Catholic Church, Hamilton, is a neat wooden building with a spire, and has accommodation for about 200 worshippers. It stands on a section of two acres, and the presbytery adjoins the church. The priest in charge celebrates Mass at St. Peter's, Cambridge, every Sunday as well as at St. Mary's, Hamilton.
The Rev. Father Joseph Croke Darby, who is the present Rector of St. Mary's, was appointed to the charge in February, 1901. Father Darby was born on the 27th of August, 1872, in the city of Auckland. He made his preliminary studies at St. Joseph's College, Hunter's Hill, Sydney, and completed his academical course at St. Patrick's College, Manly, New South Wales. Shortly after his return to Auckland he was ordained at St. Patrick's Cathedral, on the 19th of December, 1897. Prior to entering on his present charge, Father Darby was stationed successively at St. Francis' Church, Thames, and St. Benedict's, Auckland. He is one of a family of ten—seven sons and three daughters—and is a son of Mr. P. Darby, of Ponsonby, one of Auckland's oldest, most respected and most successful citizens. Dr. W. J. Darby, of Auckland, and Messrs P. B. Darby and B. F. Darby, of Wellington, are brothers of the Rev. Father Darby.
The Wesleyan Church is a neat well-built building situated in Hamilton West, and it has a large body of adherents. The church property includes a fine block of land with a frontage to Victoria Street. On this frontage there are several good shops, including those occupied by Messrs Tudehope and Griffiths, E. Jones, Castleton, and others. The present church was erected in 1882 at a cost of £600, and the old building is now used as a schoolroom. There is accommodation for 250 worshippers, and there are seventy scholars in attendance at the Sunday School, which is managed by eight teachers. The parsonage was destroyed by fire in March, 1899, but was re-erected the same year at a cost of £400. The minister in charge at Hamilton holds services periodically at Tauwhare, Hukanui, Ngaruawahia, Whatawhata, Te Kowhai, Marshmeadows and Pukete.
The Rev. Henry Lawrence Blamires, Minister in charge of the Hamilton Circuit, was born in 1871 and educated at Wesley College, Melbourne. He became a local preacher in Christchurch in 1894, and a candidate for the ministry in 1896. Mr. Blamires served his probation at Inglewood and Westport, and was ordained at the conference of 1900, when he was appointed to the charge of the Hamilton Circuit. He was married, in 1900, to a daughter of Mr. T. C. Collier, of Christchurch. Miss Collier was for several years head of the teaching department of the Jubilee Institute for the Blind at Parnell, Auckland.
Rev. Dr. J. Hosking.
Lodge Beta-Waikato, No. 12, was established in December, 1865. Officers for 1901: Bro. A. S. Brewer, I.P.M.; Bro. M. A. Going, W.M.; Bro. J. E. Hammond, S.W.; Bro. J. S. Colhoun, J.W.; Bro. G. Edgecumbe (P.M.), D.M.; Bro. R. J. Gwynne (P.M.), secretary. This lodge meets in a hall which was built in 1877. The ground was presented to the lodge, and the building, which is of brick, cost over £400.
Waikato Rugby Union. Officers for 1900: Mr. G. Edgecumbe, president; and Mr. H. E. Tristram, secretary and treasurer. There are two senior clubs—namely, Hamilton and Huntly, and four junior clubs—Hamilton, Huntly, Ngaruawahia, and Te Rapa. This union's colours are maroon and blue, and it controls all football events for the Waikato.
South Auckland Racing Club. Officers for 1900: Mr. W. H. Herries, M.H.R., president; Mr. F. W. Lang, M.H.R., vice-president; Messrs F. W. Browning, C. J. W. Barton, E. B. Cox, W. Cussen, I. Coates, E. M. Dickey, G. Edgecumbe, A. Furze, M. G. Farrer, R. J. Gwynne, H. Haseler, R. Noble, H. E. Tristram, T. Slade, A. Swarbrick, R. C. Mathias, and O. F. Pilling, stewards; Mr. L. Cussen, judge; Mr. J. O. Evitt, handicapper; Mr. A. Furze, clerk of scales; Mr. W. H. Hume, clerk of course; Mr. C. Barton, starter; and Mr. A. J. Storey, secretary. The racecourse, which is ninety-nine acres in extent, is situated at Claudelands, alongside the Kirikiriroa railway station, and is owned by the Waikato Park Syndicate, by whom it is leased to the club. There is a well kept grandstand, which will seat about 600 people, and there is a steeplechase course in addition to the ordinary course; a beautiful bit of native bush of about fifteen acres, on the background, makes this one of the prettiest recreation grounds in the province. The Waikato agricultural show is held on the course.
The Hamilton Public Library dates back to 1888, but the convenient building now occupied was not completed till 1899, the foundation stone having been laid in the previous year by his Excellency the Governor. It contains a reading room, which is well stocked with papers and periodicals, and a library of 789 volumes.
Miss Charlotte Amy Carey, Librarian, is the second daughter of the late Dr. John Carey, of Forest Lake, Hamilton, one of the pioneer settlers in the district. She has acted as librarian since October, 1890.
“The Waikato Times,” Hamilton, was first published at Ngaruawahia in 1872, by Mr. George Jones, now the Hon. George Jones, M.L.C. It then passed successively under the management of Messrs Langbridge and Silver, E. M. Edgecumbe, and George Edgecumbe. The headquarters of the journal were removed to Hamilton at the time of the railway extension, that being the chief distributing centre of the Waikato. Mr. J. S. Bond, the present proprietor, purchased the paper in July, 1896, and shortly afterwards converted it from a tri-weekly to a penny daily, availing himself to the utmost of the value of the Press Association service, and the splendid railway facilities for distribution throughout the districts. The “Times” has a large and increasing circulation, and is popular with all classes. Mr. Bond also carries on a book-selling and stationery business in connection with the paper.
Mr. James Shiner Bond, Proprietor of the “Waikato Times,” is a practical and experienced printer. He is a native of Dorsetshire, England, and at the age of thirteen years was employed in a large page 745 job printing office, where he learned his trade, in which he has now been engaged for over thirty years. Coming to New Zealand in 1878, he had charge of the job printing department of the “Rangitikei Advocate.” In 1880, he removed to Cambridge to take charge of the printing department of the “Waikato Mail.” A year later, when that paper ceased to exist, he opened a general printing establishment, which he still carries on there, and to which he added a book and stationery business, enjoying a large and extensive connection throughout the district. In July, 1895, he started the “Waikato Advocate,” a weekly journal, which was merged into the “Waikato Times” when he purchased the latter paper. Mr. Bond until recently resided at Cambridge and took an active interest in all local matters. He was one of the first members of the Cambridge Borough Council, and served on that body for nine years, retiring in 1895, and during that period was mayor for three successive years.
Mr. J. S. Bond.
Mr. Sydney Edward Grevillesmith, at present Editor of the “Waikato Times,” was born and educated in Glamorganshire, South Wales. He arrived in Auckland as a youth, in 1870, and seven years later became connected with journalism in Otago, where he was for some time reporter on the “North Otago Times” at Oamaru. He afterwards edited the “Waikato Times,” and, later still, the Auckland “Evening Bell.” Mr. Greville-Smith spent five years in Australia, during which he was on the editorial staff of the “Melbourne Herald,” and for two years editor of the “Toowoomba Chronicle” in Queensland. At the time of the Melbourne Exhibition of 1888, he was special correspondent for the “New Zealand Herald.”
The “Waikato Argus” was first published under its present name on the 11th of July, 1896, with Mr. George Edgecumbe, who had for many years managed the “Waikato Times,” as the proprietor, and Mr. H. Holloway, editor. The politics of the “Argus” are constitutional, and its columns are largely devoted to the interests of the farmers, amongst whom it has a wide circulation. Since December, 1899, it has been issued as a daily paper.
Mr. Henry Holloway, Editor of the “Waikato Argus,” was born at Wanstead, Essex, in 1837. He was educated at Hackney Grammar School, London, and had a mercantile experience in that city for about eight years. In 1863 Mr. Holloway arrived at Port Chalmers, by the ship “Mystery, and, after a short experience at mining, removed to the North Island. He joined the Taranaki Militia, in which he served for about three years, and was one of the force which was surrounded for about eleven days at Pipiriki. Later on he served at Opotiki, and then settled in Wanganui, where he gave his attention to journalism, and became editor of the “Wanganui Herald.” He was afterwards for a year on the staff of the old “Independent” in Wellington, now the “New Zealand Times.” Mr. Holloway became one of the originators of the “Daily Telegraph” at Napier, and, on removing to Auckland, was appointed editor of the “Waikato Times.” In 1875 Mr. Holloway joined the staff of the Colonial Mutual Insurance Company in Sydney, and was for a time an inspector in connection with that office. On returning to New Zealand, he held a position on the staff of the “Evening Bell,” in Auckland for a short time, and went back to Hamilton as editor of the “Waikato Times” in 1895. On the establishment of the “Argus” Mr. Holloway became its editor. He was married, in 1873, to a daughter of the late Dr. Bestwick, of Ngaruawahia, and has three sons and two daughters.
Hamilton Magistrate's Court. There has been a magistrate's court at Hamilton since 1865. The present building, which is centrally situated opposite the Wesleyan Church, was erected in 1874. It contains, besides the courthouse, rooms for the magistrate and clerk of court. Hamilton is the centre of a large magisterial district, including Ngaruawahia, where the court is held in the town hall, Huntly, in the public hall, and at Mercer, Pukekohe, and Waiuku, at each of which there is a courthouse. Mr. H. W. Northcroft is the stipendiary magistrate for the Waikato district. Mr. Thomas Kirk, Clerk of the Court for the Waikato District, entered the public service in 1869, and has been stationed at Hamilton since 1875.
Mr. Henry William Northcroft, Stipendiary Magistrate for the Waikato, is a colonist of high standing. He was born in Essex, England, on the 28th of August, 1846, and is the son of Mr. William Northcroft, engineer and surveyor, who came with his family to this Colony in 1851, in the ship “Cresswell.” Mr. Northcroft was educated first at New Plymouth, and subsequently at Nelson, and, at the age of fourteen, joined the Volunteers, just when Volunteering involved active service of a very serious and dangerous nature. That was, of necessity, many years ago, and Mr. Northcroft is now only known to the younger generation as a stipendiary magistrate of high repute; in the old days, however, he was famous as a soldier, and earned for himself the distinction of being one of the bravest of “our defenders.” He joined the colonial forces on the outbreak of the rebellion in Taranaki, and for eighteen years was seldom out of the field. Though more than fifty times under fire, he was never even wounded. How he, on three occasions, carried off a wounded comrade under fearfully heavy fire, is graphically told in Brett's “Heroes of New Zealand” by Mr. J. H. Wilks and Major Scannell, who were eye-witnesses of those and many other acts of bravery performed by Captain Northcroft, for which he will ever be remembered by readers of New Zealand history. Captain Northcroft was awarded the New Zealand war medal in 1868. When peace was restored, he had some experience in connection with mining at the Thames, and, in 1877, was appointed Resident Magistrate for the Waikato district. Mr. Northcroft for some time held the position of Goldfields' Warden and Magistrate at the Thames, prior to his appointment in November, 1892, as Stipendiary Magistrate at Auckland. Four years later, he, in company with various other stipendiary magistrates of the Colony, was called upon to make another move; and the Government's action in the matter called forth demonstrations of regret and indignation from the citizens, who entertained the very highest respect for Mr. Northcroft's character and conduct. After he left Auckland, Mr. Northcroft was stationed successively at Wanganui and Masterton, and was then transferred to his old magisterial district in the Waikato, with Hamilton as his headquarters.
The Hamilton Police Sub-District includes Cambridge, Te Awamutu, Kihikihi, Otorohanga, Te Kuiti and Poro-o-taroa, with a constable at each of these places, and a sergeant and a constable at Hamilton. The district, as at present constituted, dates from 1899.
Sergeant Richard Stapleton, the Officer in charge of the Hamilton Police Sub-District, was born in Auckland in 1844. Mr. Stapleton joined the police force in Wellington in 1871, and was afterwards stationed in the Waikato, at Auckland and the Thames. He was promoted to the rank of sergeant in January, 1898, and in the following year was placed in charge at Hamilton.
O'Neill, Lewis, Barrister and Solicitor, Victoria Street, Hamilton. Mr. O'Neill was born in Auckland in 1847, went to England and studied for his profession in London, and was called to the bar at the Middle Temple in 1874. He was admitted a barrister and solicitor in New Zealand in 1875, and commenced to practise in the same year at Hamilton.
Swarbrick, Arthur, Barrister and Solicitor, Hamilton. Mr. Swarbrick was born in Derby, England, and studied for his profession in the Old Country. He arrived in New Zealand in 1877, served his articles with Mr. W. M. Hay, and was admitted as a barrister and solicitor in 1889. Mr. Swarbrick has acted as lay reader of the Anglican church for several years.
Brewis, Andrew Seymour, M.D., M.B., B.S., M.R.S.E., and L.S.A., (London), Physician and Surgeon, “Jesmond,” Victoria Street, Hamilton. Dr. Brewis was born at Newcastle-on-Tyne, England, and educated at the Durham University and at St. Thomas's Hospital, London, and took his degrees in 1886 and 1889. He arrived in the colony in 1891, and established his practice in the Waikato in the following year.
Young, James Alexander, Dental Surgeon, Hamilton West. Mr. Young was born in Auckland, in 1875, and after leaving school, became a student under Mr. A. M. Carter, a well known dentist, with whom he remained about three years. Subsequently he went to Dunedin, and in December, 1893, passed his dental surgery examination with a specially high commendation from the examiners. After returning to Auckland he took charge of Mr. Carter's practice and also visited the country districts on his behalf. Early in July, 1894, he began business in Hamilton on his own account, and has built up an extensive practice throughout the Waikato. Mr. Young, who takes an active interest in political and literary subjects, was a member of the Waikato Parliamentary Union, in which he was leader of the Opposition. He was elected at the top of the poll to the Waikato Licensing Committee, and has been chairman of the Hamilton West school committee, and a member of the Borough Council. Mr. Young is a frequent contributor to the press.
Manning, Edward, Chemist and Druggist, Waikato, Pharmacy, Victoria Street, Hamilton. Mr. Manning served his apprenticeship in Auckland and had four years' experience in Victoria prior to settling in Hamilton in 1896.
Bank Of New Zealand, Hamilton. This handsome two-storey building is situated in Victoria Street, the main thorough-fare of Hamilton West, and is an architectural ornament to the town. The premises comprise a large banking chamber, manager's office, strong-room, and a commodious private residence. The staff consists of Mr. K. Brookfield (manager), Mr. W. N. Von Sturmer (accountant), and three other officials. The manager visits the Ngaruawahia branch every Tuesday.
Professional, Commercial and Industrial.
Edgecumbe, John Sloper, House, Land, and Estate Agent. Hamilton West. Mr. Edgecumbe was born in Wiltshire, England, in 1849, and came out to New Zealand, per ship “John Duncan,” early in 1864, landing at Auckland. He assisted his father on his farm at Waiau until 1867 when he moved to Ngaruawahia, where his brother carried on a general store. Subsequently, he engaged in farming and milling at Karakariki for about two years, after which he came to Hamilton. Until 1880 he was employed in the office of the “Waikato Times,” when he established his present lucrative business. Mr. Edgecumbe was a member of the Hamilton Light Infantry Volunteers, and held the rank of lieutenant.
Mr. J. S. Edgecumbe.
Jones, William, Commission Agent and Valuer, Hamilton. Mr. Jones was born in County Cork, Ireland. During his youth he assisted his father in farming, and later was connected with the management of large estates. He came to New Zealand in the ship “Winterthur” in 1866, and settled in Hamilton where he purchased an acre of town land and fifty acres upon which he engaged in agricultural pursuits. He has now a fine property of 206 acres, besides conducting business as a commission agent and valuer under the Government Advances to Settlers Act and for Land and Income Tax purposes. Mr. Jones has always taken an active interest in municipal affairs. He was a member of the Hamilton Road Board for some years, and was chairman for a time. In 1882 he was appointed clerk to the New-castle Road Board, which position he filled until 1897. He is a Justice of the Peace, and was for many years a member of the Hamilton Borough Council and was mayor for a period of four months.
Mr. W. Jones.
McNicol and Co., (Arthur James Storey), Auctioneers and Stock Agents, Hamilton; sale yards, Ohaupo, Cambridge and Waihou. This well known auctioneering firm was established by Mr. Alfred Buckland, and was afterwards conducted for some years by the late Mr. John McNicol, who died in 1893. Since then the business has been conducted under the same style by the present proprietor. Regular cattle sales are held by the firm at Ohaupo fortnightly, and at Waihou, Hamilton and Cambridge every four weeks, and special sales as required. Special horse fairs are held every three months, and the annual spring horse fair, held at Cambridge, is attended by buyers from all parts of the colony. At the last one 810 horses were offered and 730 sold, amongst them being 250 good draughts, which averaged £23 each, and sold as high as £56.
Mr. Arthur James Storey was born at Tamaki in 1867. He entered the service of Mr. Buckland in 1884, and has been associated with the business since that time. Mr. Storey is secretary of the South Auckland Racing Club, and a member of the committee of the Waikato Agricultural and Pastoral Association.
Mr. J. Rendell.
Botteley, Claude Lester, Photographer, Victoria Street, Hamilton. The studio first occupied by Mr. Botteley was formerly known as Reid's, and was established about 1890. Mr. Botteley came into possession in 1900 and remained there until the end of December of the same year. Increase of business then made a large studio desirable, and this he fortunately obtained at Howden's Buildings, in the same street. The studio has been re-fitted with modern improvements. Mr. Botteley was born in Birmingham, England, in 1874, educated at Lytham, and was brought up as a printer. While working at that trade he took up photography as a hobby, and has since adopted it as a profession. He arrived in Wellington in 1899, and after acting as a Government insurance agent for eighteen months, established his present business.
Mr. C. L. Botteley.
Innes, C. L. and Co., (Charles Lewis Innes), Brewers and Aerated Water Manufacturers, Waikato, Brewery, Hamilton. This business was founded by the late Mr. C. Innes, father of the present proprietor, in 1870, at Ngaruawahia. The business was afterwards removed to Te Awamutu, and in 1888 to Hamilton. The brewery, which was erected in 1897, contains a five hogshead plant. The aerated water department is conducted in a separate building, where the office of the firm is situated. The entire plant is worked by a gas engine.
Mr. C. L. Innes was born at Te Awamutu in 1877, and was educated in the Waikato, and brought up to business by his father. He has conducted the business since the 31st of July, 1899, the day of his father's death. Mr. Innes is a member of No. 1 Waikato Mounted Rifle Volunteers, and takes an interest in outdoor sports as a member of the Hamilton football and cricket clubs.
Evans, Thomas, Builder and Contractor, Hamilton. Mr. Evans was born in 1844 in North Wales, where he was brought up to business. He arrived in Auckland by the ship “Louisa” in 1865. For some time he was employed in connection with buildings in the neighbourhood of Auckland, and afterwards had an experience of gold mining at Coromandel, Thames, and Charleston. After a visit to Queensland, Mr. Evans returned to New Zealand, and was for a time in Hawke's Bay, and afterwards in Poverty Bay. He has been a settler in Hamilton since 1878, and has erected a good many buildings within the borough and in various parts of the Waikato. In 1896 Mr. Evans built a large boarding: house almost opposite the railway station in Hamilton. This building contains twenty-two rooms, is well furnished, and well managed under the care of Mrs Evans. Mr. Evans was married, in 1876, to a daughter of Mr. C. Hayes, of Auckland, and has two sons and two daughters.page 748
Botteley, Photo. See page 747.
Mrs. T. Evans.
Watts, Albert, Carpenter, Hamilton. Mr. Watts was born in Gloucestershire, England, in 1861, and was educated and brought up as a carpenter in his native land. He arrived in Auckland by the s.s. “Ionic,” in May, 1894, under engagement to Mr. Henry Reynolds, as butter maker for the Newstead factory, which he afterwards managed for two years. During his experience in England Mr. Watts had worked for a large firm which manufactured separators. On retiring from the dairy business, he commenced carpentering in Hamilton. Mr. Watts was married, in 1886, to a daughter of Mr. S. French, of Gloucestershire, England, and has four daughters and three sons.
Menzies and Co., (R. Pike, manager), Cordial Manufacturers, Hamilton; head office, Thames. The Hamilton branch of this well known firm was established in October, 1899. The factory, which was built for the business, is a wooden building, and contains a gas engine, and the usual aerated water and bottling plant.
Mr. Reginald Pike, Manager of Messrs Menzies and Co.'s Hamilton Branch, was born at Norwich, England, in 1876, and came to Auckland with his parents in the ship “Ben Nevis” in 1880. He was brought up to country life at Papakura. In 1898 he removed to Hamilton in connection with the flaxmilling business, and at the opening of Messrs Menzies and Co.'s branch, was appointed to the management. Mr. Pike served for some time in the Wairoa Rifle Volunteers.
Cox, Noah Roper, Draper and Clothler, “London House,” Hamilton West. Mr. Cox was born at Grantham, Lincolnshire, England, in 1837, and since the age of thirteen years has been connected with the drapery business in various capacities. He came to New Zealand in the ship “Slam” in 1867, and went to the Thames goldfields where he followed mining pursuits for about three years. Subsequently he settled for a period of six years in Auckland and was employed in a large drapery establishment. In 1876 Mr. Cox moved to Hamilton where he purchased a general store and conducted it for some years, when he sold off the general stock and has since confined his attention to drapery and clothing. He keeps a large and well selected assortment of goods to meet the requirements of the excellent trade he has built up throughout the district. Mr. Cox was elected a member of the Hamilton Borough Council at its formation and served two years. An active church worker, he has for the past nineteen years been a member of Trinity Wesleyan church, Hamilton, and has filled various offices in connection therewith. He is one of the oldest members of the Hamilton Cricket Club.
Mr. N. R. Cox.
Hallenstein Bros. and Co., (New Zealand Clothing Factory), Victoria Street, Hamilton. The premises consist of a large one storey wooden building, which has a double-fronted shop with a verandah. The branch was established in 1891, and is under the management of Mr. Joseph Varney.
Waikato Hotel (Phillip Le Quesne, proprietor), Heaphy Terrace, Hamilton. This hotel is built of brick and cement, has a slate roof, is three stories in height, and contains about thirty-five rooms.
Mr. P. Le Quesne, Proprietor, is an old settler in the Waikato, and was born in Jersey on the 7th of October, 1836. He arrived in Auckland on the 10th of May, 1860, by the ship “Avon,” and opened a store in Karangahape Road. Six years later Mr. Le Quesne removed to Hamilton, where he opened the settlers' General Store, and has ever since then been prominently connected with the district. He was for several years a member of the East Hamilton Highway Board.
Hammond, John Edwin, Plumber, Gasfitter, and Cycle Repairer, Hamilton West. Mr. Hammond was born in Kent, England, in 1866, and came to New Zealand with his father, Mr. David Hammond, in the ship “Warwick,” landing in Auckland in 1870. At the age of twelve years he was apprenticed to Messrs. Branston and Foster, plumbers, with whom he remained some nine years, gaining a thorough knowledge of plumbing, brass finishing, etc. He then worked as a journeyman, and in 1891 moved to Hamilton and established himself successfully. Mr. Hammond has executed a considerable amount of work for the borough council, hospital, and schools, and is a thoroughly practical man at his trade. He keeps a stock of bicycles and is an expert at repairs. Mr. Hammond takes and active interest in athletic and cycling sports, is captain of the Waikato Amateur Athletic and Cycling Club, and a member of the committtee of management.
Mr. J. E. Hammond.
Dymock, H., Wholesale and Retail Boot and Shoe Manufacturer, Victoria Street, Hamilton.
Salmon, Daniel, Bootmaker, Hamilton. Mr. Salmon was born in London in 1841 and after leaving school learned the trade of a shoemaker in Edgeware Road. He was engaged in the boot and shoe business in Harrow Road, London, for some years, and sold out to come to New Zealand in 1877 in the ship “Apelles” as doctor's assistant. Shortly after landing at Auckland he settled in Hamilton where he at once established himself at his trade and which he has successfully conducted for over twenty years. He was for some years a member of the Hamilton Borough Council, to which he was, in the first instance, elected by the largest majority ever polled by any single candidate in the town. Mr. Salmon was married in London in 1862 to Miss Mary A. Pritchard, and has four children.
Mr. D. Salmon.
Jones, Edward, Saddler and Harnessmaker, Victoria Street, Hamilton; branches at Paeroa, Morrinsville, Waihi and Ngaruawahia. The premises consist of a large double-fronted shop, which is centrally situated in the main street, and in which Mr. Jones keeps a large stock of saddlery and harness of all descriptions imported direct from the Home manufactures, as the large turnover which he is now doing through the medium of the different branches enables him to buy in the best markets. Mr. Jones also keeps a large staff of workmen, who manufacture on the premises anything required in the trade.
Bettley, John, Butcher, etc., Hamilton. Mr. Bettley is a native of Aigburh Vale, near Liverpool, and received his education at Linden House School, Littlemore, near Oxford. His father's trustee being engaged in the butchering trade at Edgehill, Liverpool, he assisted him in conducting the business and at the age of twenty-one years joined him at farming in Oxfordshire and Gloucestershire. This venture, however, proved unsuccessful owing to the oppressive rents and system of landlordism prevailing from 1879 to 1886, and Mr. Bettley lost very considerably. Disposing of his interests, he came out to New Zealand in the s.s. “Rimutaka,” in 1886, landing at Port Chalmers, thence to Auckland and Waikato, and was for about six months employed in agricultural work. Subsequently, he removed to Hamilton and established a butchery business. Mr. Bettley's commodious premises were built in 1894, and he carries on an extensive wholesale and retail trade. He also has a large coffee palace, a two-storey building very comfortably furnished, with the Temperance Dining Rooms, which are well patronised. Mr. Bettley is an active and enterprising man, is a strong socialist, and takes great interest in all matters beneficial to the community. He was married in Oxfordshire, England, in 1882, to Charlotte Hollier, and has seven children.
Qualtrough, Thomas, Butcher, Hamilton. Mr. Qualtrough, who served for six years as a member of the Hamilton Borough Council, was born in 1851 in the Isle of Man. He accompanied his parents to Auckland in 1858, and has been established in page 750 business as a butcher in Hamilton since 1879. His premises consist of a brick building of one storey, and are erected on his freehold section. The slaughterhouse is near the Franklin railway station, and stands on a section of fifteen acres of freehold. Sixty acres of leasehold ground adjoining the property is used for farming purposes. Mr. Qualtrough was married, in 1885, to a daughter of the late Mr. J. T. Prince, of Ohaupo, and has one son and five daughters.
Mr. T. Qualtrough.
New Zealand Loan And Mercantile Agency Company. This corporation opened a branch of its business in Hamilton some years ago for the special convenience of its large Waikato connection. Mr. G. W. Sare has been in charge since that date.
Horne, J. Thornton, Grocer, Baker, and Confectioner, Hamilton West. Mr. Horne was born in Gloucestershire, England, and after leaving school was employed in a large wholesale grocery establishment in Bristol. He came out to New Zealand in the barque “Ada” in 1876, and settled at Hamilton, where he entered the employ of Mr. Thomas Trewheelar, confectioner, as assistant, and some years later purchased the concern, subsequently adding the grocery business. He has built up a large and extensive trade, and on his shop being destroyed by fire, in December, 1895, he built his present commodious premises, in which he has ample refreshment rooms. Mr. Horne is an energetic worker in the temperance cause.
Maunder, Thomas Willis, Storekeeper, Victoria Street, Hamilton. Mr. Maunder was born in London in 1852, came to Auckland in 1867, by the ship “England” and founded his present business in 1888.
Parr Bros. , (Robert Parr and George Parr), General Storekeepers, Hamilton. This business was established in 1882 as the New Zealand Co-operative Farmers' Association, and was acquired by Messrs Parr Bros. two years later. The premises consist of a large brick and concrete store, which contains a well assorted stock of general merchandise.
The Hamilton Gas Company, Limited, was established in 1895. Directors: Messrs H. Atkinson (chairman), S. W. Wilson, J. L. Wilson and J. M. Mennie, with Mr. H. R. Jones, of Albert Street, Auckland, as secretary. The gas plant has a capacity of 15,000 feet daily, and gas is supplied throughout the borough of Hamilton, to the Waikato hospital, and as far as Sydney Square, Kirikiriroa. There are 119 consumers.
Mr. Lewis Blackman, Manager of the Hamilton Gasworks, was born in London in 1859. He came to Auckland in 1881, served for a number of years in connection with the Auckland gasworks, and was appointed to his present position in April, 1899.
Pearson and Co., (George S. Pearson, Mrs R. Williamson, and H. E. Tristram), Carbolic Sand Soap Manufacturers, Grey and Cook Streets, Hamilton. This business was established in 1886 by Mr. E. J. Pearson, who died ten years later. The soap manufactured by the firm is patented, and is shipped to all parts of the colony.
Mr. Henry Exford Tristram was born in Melbourne, and came to New Zealand when quite young with his father, Mr. James Quick Tristram, who was in the band of the 40th Regt. of Foot. The family finally settled in the Waikato district, and the subject of this sketch assisted on the farm during his youth. In 1870 he moved to Hamilton East and opened a butcher's shop and shortly afterwards, another on the west side, conducting both places successfully for seventeen years. He sold his business in 1887 to take the management of Pearson's Carbolic Sand Soap Factory, at East Hamilton, in which he is largely interested. This industry has greatly increased under Mr. Tristram's competent management and the concern has an extensive sale for its manufactures throughout New Zealand and New South Wales. Mr. Tristram takes a great interest in athletic sports, was for some years secretary of the Hamilton Football Club, and also secretary of the Waikato Rugby Union. He is also secretary and member of the Hamilton Brass Band, is an active Mason of over twenty years' standing, and a member of Lodge Beta, N.Z.C., Hamilton. Mr. Tristram was for some years a member of the Hamilton Borough Council.
Mr. H. E. Tristram.
Harwood and Co. (James Harwood), Livery Stable Keepers, Omnibus and Coach Proprietors, Hamilton. Mr. Harwood was born in the county of Lurgan, Ireland, in 1869. At ten years of age he came with his parents to New Zealand, and landed at Auckland, which the family left at once to settle at Hamilton, in the Waikato, where Mr. Harwood was educated. He began business as a carter and general contractor, but in 1893 he opened a livery stable, which at once proved a success. At the close of 1887, Mr. Harwood started a branch at Paeroa, but afterwards sold his interests there to the Ohinemuri Coaching Company. At Hamilton there are two lines of coaches—one to the railway station, and one to Franklin Junction, besides a large general livery stable business. There are two stables of twenty stalls each, and about twenty loose boxes. Messrs horses and from twenty to twenty-five drags, buggies, etc.
Howden, Henry Herbert, Watchmaker and Jeweller, Victoria Street, Hamilton. Mr. Howden's premises consist of a two storey wooden building erected on freehold land. The proprietor is a son of Mr. James Howden, of Queen Street, Auckland.
“Brooklyn,” Residence of Mr. W. Chitty.
Mr. W. Chitty.
Farrer, Matthew George, Farmer, Hamilton. Mr. Farrer, who is the third son of the Rev. M. J. Farrer, of Ingleborough, Yorkshire, was born in London in 1852. He was educated at Eton and at Brazenose College, Oxford, and was called to the bar. Mr. Farrer, farmed for about twelve years in the Old Land, and came out to New Zealand in 1892, when he settled at Claudelands, Hamilton, where he holds 260 acres. Mr. Farrer was married, in 1883, to a daughter of Mr. R. C. Hanbury, at one time M.P. for Middlesex, England, and has five sons and one daughter.
The Lake, Hamilton, the property of Mr. Thomas Walter, is an estate of 725 acres. The lake itself is a pretty sheet of water, and is surrounded by considerable plantations of ornamental trees.
Mr. Thomas Walter, was born in London in 185 and was educated at Eton College. After following the profession of an engineer for twenty years he came to New Zealand, and, choosing the Waikato as his home, purchased this beautiful estate. Mr. Walter was married, in 1894, to the eldest daughter of Mr. R. B. Gore, of Wellington, and has one daughter.
Mr. Thomas Millington Hill, Old Colonist, was born in Herefordshire, England, in 1834. In his early days he had a considerable experience of seafaring life, and landed in Victoria in 1854. After following the diggings in that colony for some years, he came to Otago in 1863. Hill's Creek, in the Mount Ida district, was named after him. By trade Mr. Hill is a butcher, and he established himself as such in Hamilton in 1866, and conducted his business for about thirty years. He was married, in 1866, to a daughter of the late Mr. Fitzpatrick, of Ireland, and has eight daughters and seven sons.
Mr. G. J. Mann, Old Colonist, is a native of Peterborough, England, and arrived in Melbourne in 1860 by the Black Ball liner, “Eagle.” After experiencing many phases of Australian life, he came to Auckland in 1863, when he found the Waikato war in full operation, was enrolled in the militia, and sent to the front. He served in several engagements under General Cameron, and after two years' active service was appointed commissariat-issuer to the troops at the Miranda Redoubt. He received the New Zealand medal. At the conclusion of the war Mr. Mann took up a farm section in Cambridge, which he afterwards sold. After a visit to England in 1891 he bought one of the best farms in Cambridge, which he sold in 1897. His next venture was the Commercial Hotel, Hamilton West, but he has since left that business. Mr. Mann was married in 1864 to Miss Elizabeth Dalton, and has nine children.
Mr. James Soppet, Old Colonist, was born in Northumberland, England, in 1834, and arrived in Auckland by the ship “Caduceus.” He settled at Hamilton in 1884, and became manager of the Ngaruawahia flour mill.
Captain William Steele, J. P. and Old Colonist, was a prominent Waikato settler for many years. He was born in Willey, Shropshire, England, in 1831, and came out to Australia in 1847. Two years later he went to California, an shortly afterwards returned to the New South Wales goldfields. He went to Victoria in 1852, and was at the Eaglehawk and other fields. In 1853 he settled at Lucas' Creek, twelve miles from Auckland, and afterwards removed to Southern Wairoa. For a short time he was on the Otago goldfields but returned to Wairoa at the commencement of hostilities with the Maoris. He became lieutenant of the Wairoa volunteers, and was shortly afterwards commissioned by the Government to visit Sydney to raise men for the Waikato campaign. On returning with his troop, afterwards known as the 4th Waikatos, he settled at Hamilton and held the rank of captain. For many years before his death, on the 20th of September, 1898, Captain Steele had been in business as a land and estate agent. He was married, in 1854, to a daughter of Lieutenant W. Reid, of Lisburn, Ireland. Mrs Steele died in 1887, leaving one son and also one daughter who became Mrs Henry Reynolds. In 1894 Captain Steele was married to a daughter of the late Mr. J. Runciman. Mrs Steele resides near Hamilton on “Linley,” a property of 200 acres, worked as a dairy farm.
Mr. John McNicol, sometime of Hamilton, was the second son of Mr. Duncan McNicol, of Clevedon, Wairoa. Some years ago he purchased Mr. S. Buckland's auctioneering and stock agenc[gap — reason: illegible] page 753 business, into which he put an immense amount of energy and had successfully established a wide and valuable connection when his career was cut short in his prime. His death occurred at the Waikato Hospital on the 9th of April, 1893, as the result of a neglected cold. At one time he was in partnership with Mr. William Taylor, of Greenhill, in horse breeding on a large scale at “Lochiel Farm.” Mr. McNicol was a very keen sportsman as well as breeder, and it was mainly through his efforts that the South Auckland Racing Club was established on its existing sound basis. Under the name of “Mr. Malcolm,” he ran his own horses, among which were “Lottie Yattafeldt,” “Gipsy King,” and others, which often carried his colours to the winning post. Mr. McNicol was one of the most popular men in the Waikato, and his untimely end was the cause of deep sorrow to his wide circle of friends and the community as a whole. Generous and open-hearted to a degree, his kind and genial manners gained him the respect and friendship of all with whom he was brought in contact. He was married to a daughter of the late Mr. W. J. Young, of “The Grange,” Otahuhu, and left six children. Since her husband's death, Mrs. McNicol has managed “Lochiel Farm,” which consists of about 900 acres.
The late Mr. J. McNicol.
Mr. Charles Tippin, Old Colonist, was born at Watford, Herts, England, in 1846. When he was quite young his parents emigrated to New South Wales and settled in Sydney. In 1864 he enlisted in the 4th Waikato Militia for New Zealand and during the following three years saw a good deal of service. He received the military land grant after the war and turned his hand to bush work, etc., finally going into business as a carrier and carter for some twenty-five years. Since 1893 he has been employed in Pearson's Carbolic Sand Soap Factory, Hamilton East. Mr. Tippin is an old identity of Hamilton, having resided there since 1864, always taking an active interest in the welfare of the place, and was one of the first members of the Hamilton East Town Board. When that body was merged into the borough council in 1881, he was elected to the council, in which he had a seat for over sixteen years. He was also for several years a member of the Kirikiriroa Highway Board, and was on the licensing committee.
Mr. C. Tippin.