The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
[Physicians and Surgeons]
Though Wellington must be considered a healthy city, the care of the physical condition of its people is reposed in a large number of medical practitioners, and nearly all of them are overtaxed. As a class they are popular, and many of them bear a high reputation, some as physicians, others as surgeons or specialists, and a few in both branches of the profession. The highest skill is brought within the reach of all, for sufferers who are too poor to call a doctor into their homes may gain admission to the hospital and have the best medical attendance free of charge, and with the fullest confidence that the same care and interest will be manifested in their cases as in those of the wealthier classes.
In seeking data for the following brief sketches, the compilers have kept in view the natural desire of the public to know all that can be learned of the professional career of those in whose hands they may at any moment be called upon to place their lives. To give the desired information as fully as possible, neither trouble nor expense has been spared. In the majority of instances the requisite notes have been courteously given, immediately upon the scope and objects of the Cyclopedia being understood. In a few other cases, however, the facts have been persistently yet courteously declined, though, in one instance, the courtesy was of the kind which is not generally considered a sign of education and refinement. The compilers have deemed it necessary to make this explanation lest it might be supposed that they had neglected a duty, the performance of which was in their power. On public grounds the omissions are probably unimportant as the stranger may have abundance of choice without venturing beyond the limits of undoubted reputation. Following the medical list will be found the surgeon and mechanical dentists, and the chemists, wholesale and retail.
In every division under this head the greatest care has been taken to publish all the useful information obtainable; and it is earnestly hoped that the readers of the Cyclopedia will find this section of great value. Too little discrimination is generally used in this all-important matter of health. To many, a doctor is a doctor, and any one is looked upon as being as good as the best. No greater mistake can be made. It is impossible to deny that lives are lost every year which in more skilful hands would be saved, and that many a limb is removed which a more scrupulous surgeon would preserve. Whenever there is time before calling in either a physician or a surgeon, the most careful enquiries should be made, and the opinions of all should be received with caution. Chemists as a rule are fairly qualified to advise the public on these matters; but their opinions, like others, are liable to be affected by circumstances, and should, therefore, be carefully weighed. Hardly second in importance is the question when relating to chemists. There are chemists who realise to the fullest extent the responsibilities of their calling, and there must be others upon whom those responsibilities rest more lightly. The responsibility of making comparisons is too weighty to be undertaken by the compilers of this work. They have endeavoured to give information from which comparisons may be made, and they feel it to be their duty to give, in addition, this word of caution.
Though it is well-known that several ladies are qualifying for the medical profession at the New Zealand University, and that many have gained diplomas elsewhere, there are as yet no lady doctors in Wellington. It is highly probable, however, that the next few years will witness a change in this respect.
Adams, Harry, M.R.C.S. (England), L.R.C.P. (London), Physician and Surgeon, 38 Wellington Terrace, Wellington. Telephone 303. The Medical Directory states that Dr. Adams graduated as a member of the Royal College of Surgeons of England in 1889, and as a licensiate of the Royal College of Physicians of London in the same year. The New Zealand Post Office Directory of 1892–3 represents this medical man as practising his profession in Auckland, but in the issue for 1895 his address is given as above.
Alexander, William Copland, M.B., C.M. (Univ. Abdn.,) Physician and Surgeon, Revans Street, Wellington. Telephone 757. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Dr. Alexander hails from Scotland, having been born in Greenock in 1854. He was educated at the local Academy and in Edinburgh, and studied for his profession at the Aberdeen University, gaining his degrees in 1876. He practised in Crewe and in Barrow-in-Furness for about a year in each place, after which he became house-surgeon to the Greenock Infirmary, where he remained eighteen months. Dr. Alexander accepted an appointment as surgeon to the Allan line, Canadian Royal Mail Steamships, and was on board several of their vessels trading to Quebec and Montreal. He afterwards served in the same capacity on board some of the Cunard Co.'s boats, trading between Liverpool, Boston and New York. After about two-and-a-half years he came to New Zealand per ship “Adamant,” which arrived in Auckland in 1880. Spending about six months in the City of the North, he was attached to the Defence Force at the time of the Parihaka scare, and was placed in charge of the hospital erected in the Opunake Redoubt. Settling in Hawera in 1883 he commenced the practice of his profession, which he continued for eight years. Dr. Alexander had charge of the Cottage Hospital from its foundation to his leaving the district. In 1891 he removed to Wellington and founded his present practice. He is surgeon to the Forester's Order, Courts Sir William Jervois and Sir George Bowen, to the Excelsior and Pacific Lodges of Druids, and to the Britannia and Antipodean Lodge of Oddfellows and others. Dr. Alexander married in 1881 Miss Annie Winks, daughter of the late Alexander Winks, of Lower Rangitikei, and has a family of five children.
Anson, George Edward, M.A., M.D., B.C. (Cantab), M.R.C.S., England; L.R.C.P., London; Physician and Surgeon, 12 Wellington Terrace, Wellington. Telephone 320. Dr. Anson, who is a native of Sudbury, Derbyshire, England, is the son of the Rev. Frederick Anson, Canon of St. George's, Windsor. He was educated at Eton and Trinity College, Cambridge, where he graduated B.A. in 1874, and M.A. in 1878. Dr. Anson took his medical degree in 1889. He first came to the colonies in 1874 per ship “Sobraon,” to Melbourne. About 1878 he became second master at Wanganui College, and after six years returned to England. While in England Dr. Anson became house-surgeon and resident accoucheur at St. Thomas's Hospital, London. Returning to the Colony in January, 1892, he at once began to practise his profession in Wellington. Dr. Anson holds the appointments of Chief Medical Officer in New Zealand to the Australian Mutual Provident Society, and Honorary Physician to the Wellington Hospital.
Cahill, Thomas E., L.R.C.S.A., M.D., M.Ch., Physician and Surgeon, 10 The Terrace, Wellington. Telephone 289. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Dr. Cahill was born in Dublin, where he qualified for his profession, taking his degrees in 1881 and 1882. Before coming to New Zealand, Dr. Cahill practised his profession for a short time in Ireland. Arriving in Wellington in 1884 he established himself as above. He is honorary surgeon to the Wellington Guards and to the Wellington Hospital, and chief medical officer of the New Zealand Government Insurance Department. Further particulars of Dr. Cahill's career will be found under the heading “Consular,” he being American Consul.
Chapple, William Allan, M.B. Ch.B., Physician and Surgeon, Willis Street, Wellington. Telephone 704. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Dr. Chapple was born in Alexandra, Otago, where he received his early education at the State school. He commenced his medical studies at the Otago University, and in 1888 went to London to gain experience in the great hospitals. Dr. Chapple attended King's College while in the Metropolis, and returned to the Colony in 1889, gaining his degree at the New Zealand University. He commenced to practice his profession at Motueka, Nelson, and became Public Vaccinator and Native Medical Attendant for the district. Dr. Chapple settled in Wellington in 1892. He takes an interest in educational and philanthropic work, and is a member of the Middle District University Council and president of the Wellington Swimming Club. He is the author of a pamphlet entitled “Physical Education in our State Schools.”
Collins, William Edward, M.R.C.S., England, M.B., London, Physician and Surgeon, Boulcott Street, Wellington. Telephone 121. Dr. Collins was born in India, and was educated at Cheltenham College, England. He studied for his profession at the London University, of which he is a graduate, and at St. George's Hospital London. In 1876, Dr. Collins gained his diploma as member of the Royal College of Surgeon's of England, and became Bachelor of Medicine at the London University in the following year. While in the metropolis he gained experience at the Brompton Hospital for consumptives. Soon afterwards Dr. Collins came out to New Zealand, and after a few months in Nelson, he settled in Wellington, establishing the present practice. For two or three years he was in partnership with Dr. Walter Fell. Dr. Collins has been favourably known in the capital as a prominent medical man for a long time, and has acted for the leading friendly societies. For the last sixteen years he has been a member of the medical staff of the Wellington Hospital.
Faulke, Herbert Charles, F.R.C.S., L.R.C.P., and L.R.C.S., Edinburgh, L.F.P.S. and L.M., Glasgow, Physician and Surgeon, 103 Upper Willis Street, Wellington. Telephone 232. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Dr. Faulke was educated at Edinburgh and Manchester. He was prizeman in his college in materia medica, and therapeutics in the year 1885. Two years later he took his degrees L.R.C.P. and L.R.C.S. in Edinburgh, and L.F.P.S. and L.M. in Glasgow. He afterwards settled at Stroud Villa, West Mercia, Colchester, where he practised his profession. He was district medical officer and public vaccinator to the Lexdon and Winstree Union, and Admiralty surgeon to the district. He was also medical officer to several friendly societies, and referee to a number of life insurance companies. Dr. Faulke gained the additional degree of Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons, of Edinburgh, in 1894. Coming to New Zealand early in 1895, Dr. Faulke settled in Wellington, and acquired the practice of Dr. Gillon on that gentleman's removal to Sydney.
Fell, Walter, M.A., M.D., (Oxon), M.R.C.S., England, L.R.C.P., London, Physician and Surgeon, Willis Street, Wellington. Telephone 215. Dr. Fell was born in Nelson, New Zealand, in 1855, and was educated at Rugby and at University College Oxford. He gained his B.A. degree in 1877, and his M.A. two years later. He studied medicine at St. Thomas's Hospital, London, and became a licentiate of the Royal College of Physicians, London, and a member of the Royal College of Surgeons of England in 1881. He took his M.B. degree at Oxford in 1882. Returning to the Colony, Dr. Fell settled in Wellington in 1883, joining Dr. W. E. Collins, with whom he practised for about three years under the style of Drs. Collins and Fell. At the termination of the partnership Dr. Fell commenced to practice on his own account. For about seven years he has occupied the position of honorary medical officer of the Wellington Hospital, and for the last five years has acted as examiner for the Colony for page 482 final medical degrees in connection with the New Zealand University. In 1895 Dr. Fell paid a visit to Great Britain, and was awarded the degree of M.D. at Oxford for his thesis on “the evolution of disease.” He returned and resumed practice early in December of the same year.
France, Charles, M.R.C.S., Surgeon, Boulcott Street, Wellington. Dr. France has been longer in practice in Wellington than any other medical man now in the City. Born in London in 1825, he was educated at the University College, and gained his early medical experiences at the University College Hospital, Gower Street. He took his degree in 1849, and subsequently practised for five years in London. Dr. France came to Wellington per ship “Norman Morrison”' in 1854, and has been at work ever since. For nineteen years he was medical officer of the Wellington Asylum, retiring from the position on the appointment of a resident surgeon. Dr. France is a consulting surgeon to the Wellington District Hospital, on the staff of which institution he has had a place for many years. During the native troubles on the West Coast he was surgeon to the Militia, and afterwards became honorary surgeon to the Volunteer Artillery in Wellington.
Grace, the Hon. Morgan Stanislaus, L.R.C.S., Edinburgh, M.D., M.L.C., C.M.G., Physician and Surgeon, Charlotte Street, Wellington. Telephone 348. Bankers, Union Bank of Australasia. Reference is made to Dr. Grace as a member of the Legislative Council on page 251. He took his degree as a licentiate of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in 1859, and received his diploma as doctor of medicine at the University of Jena in 1858, Dr. Grace has practised his profession in Wellington since 1866, when he settled in the capital.
Heading, Harold William Litton, B.A. (Cantab)., M.R.C.S. (England), L.R.C.P. (London), Physician and Surgeon, corner of Willis and Manners Streets, Wellington. Telephone 741. This young medical man is the son of the late lamented Dr. Harding, who for many years was one of the best known and most highly respected family doctors in Wellington. The premises occupied were built by the father of the present owner. Dr. Harding went to England to study for the profession. He entered Selwyn College, Cambridge, and took his B.A. degree in 1888. Four years later he gained his diplomas as Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, and Licentiate of the Royal College of Physicians of London. Returning to Wellington, he established himself in the practice of his profession. Dr. Harding is a member of the committee of the Wellington branch of the New Zealand Medical Association.
Henry, Claud Dawson, M.A., M.B., B.C. (Cantab.), Physician and Surgeon, 3 Johnston Street, Wellington. Dr. Henry is the son of the late Dr. Joseph Henry, who was well known for his generous kindness to all who were suffering, and whose death in 1894 was very generally regretted. The practice was established in 1881. Dr. C. D. Henry studied at Cambridge University and St. Bartholomew's Hospital, London.
James, David Philip, M.R.C.S. (England), L.R.C.P. (London), F.R.C.S. (England), Physician and Surgeon, Charlotte Street, Wellington. Telephone 977. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Dr. James was born in New South Wales in 1847, and educated at the Grammar Schools at Carmarthen and Haverford West. He studied for the profession of medicine at St. Bartholomew's Hospital, London, where he became gold medalist in clinical medicine in 1871, and at the Royal Opthalmic Hospital. He gained his degree as a member of the Royal College of Surgeons of England in 1871. Two years later Dr. James came to New Zealand, and in 1874 became surgeon to the Reefton Hospital, which position he held till 1876. He then removed to Hokitika, entering into private practice, and remaining eight years, during the last six of which he was surgeon superintendent to the Westland Hospital. In 1884 Dr. James went to England, where he remained for three years, during which time he held important appointments as clinical assistant to the Royal London Opthalmic Hospital and to the Central London Throat and Ear Hospital and to the Hospital for Women, Soho Square W. In 1888 Dr. James left England and spent some time travelling in Queensland and elsewhere, returning to New Zealand in 1892, when he established his practice in Wellington. He is one of the surgeons to the Wellington Hospital and holds the appointment of Health Officer for the port.
Mackenzie, Francis Wallace, M.B.C.M. Edinburgh, Surgeon, Specialist for Diseases of the Eye, Ear, and Throat, 139 Upper Willis Street, Wellington. Dr. Mackenzie is a son of the late Captain F. W. Mackenzie, H.E.I.S.S., of Otago, who at one time occupied a seat in the Provincial Council, and later in the House of Representatives. Dr. Mackenzie studied medicine first in Dunedin, and subsequently at the University of Edinburgh, where he graduated in medicine and surgery. After graduating he held the position of resident physician and surgeon at the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. He obtained his special training in Edinburgh, and afterwards sought further experience in the special hospitals of London and Brussels. Dr. Mackenzie took up his residence in Wellington in 1887, where he established his practice.
Mackin, Patrick, M.D., F.R.C.S., Edin., L.R.C.I L.R.C.S. Edin., L.F.P.S., Glas., L.S.A., London, Physician and Surgeon, Cuba Street, Wellington. Telephone 673. Dr. Mackin was born at Dunavil, Kilkeel, County Down, Ireland, and came to New Zealand about fifteen years ago, commencing his medical studies at the Otago University and the Dunedin Hospital. In 1888 he returned to the Old Country, taking up his abode in Glasgow in order to study medicine at Anderson's College. Qualifying in 1891 he practised in some of the large hospitals in the principal cities of England and Scotland, gaining experience, after which he returned to New Zealand and established himself in 1892 in practice in Wellington. In August, 1894, he left again on a second visit to the Old Country, and while there took the degrees of M.D., Brussels, and F.R.C.S., Edin. Returning, he resumed practice in Wellington in October, 1895. Dr. Mackin is surgeon to the Hibernians, Oddfellows, Druids, Foresters and Rechabites Benefit Societies, and the Union Steam Ship Company of New Zealand.
Martin, Albert, M.D., M.R.C.P. (England) M.R.C.S., (England), Physician and Surgeon, Ingestre Street, Wellington. Telephone, 478. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Dr. Martin, a son of the late Hon. John Martin, M.L.C., was born in Wellington in 1860. Educated at private schools and at Wellington College, he studied for his profession at Guy's Hospital, London. In 1882 he took the degree of M.R.C.S., two years later he gained his M.D. diploma, and in 1888 he became an M.R.C.P. Dr. Martin travelled page 483 a good deal on the Continent of Europe, and there studied diligently. He is Surgeon to the Wellington Hospital, and holds the position of Examiner in anatomy, physiology and medicine for the New Zealand University.
Parkes, William Henry, M.B., C.M., Edin., Physician and Surgeon, 102 Cuba Street, Wellington. Dr. Parkes was born at Derby, England. He came to the Colony with his parents in 1874 per ship “Hereford,” arriving in Lyttelton. He was educated at Christchurch, and attended at the East Christchurch and Normal schools, subsequently studying at the Canterbury College. Dr. Parkes commenced his medical education at the Otago University, where he remained for two years. He then went Home to Scotland, arriving there in 1890, and in 1892 he graduated at the university of that most beautiful of cities, Edinburgh. After taking his degree, Dr. Parkes practised his profession in England, and for two years resided in Sheffield. At the end of that time, 1894, he returned to the colonies, to act as locum tenens to Dr. Mackin in Wellington during that gentleman's absence from New Zealand. Dr. Parkes is surgeon to the Union Steamship Company, and also to the Oddfellows, Foresters, Druids, Hibernians, Rechabites, and other societies.
Pollen, Henry, B.A., M.B., M.Ch., M.D., Physician and Surgeon, Manners Street, Wellington. Telephone 486. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Dr. Pollen was born in Kingstown, County Dublin Ireland, in 1853. Educated at Kingstown and Rathmines Schools, and at Middleton College, County Cork, he studied Medicine at Trinity College, Dublin. He obtained the B.A. and M.B. degrees in 1874, and in the following year the M.Ch. The same year (1875) Dr. Pollen was appointed assistant surgeon to the Blaenavon Iron Works, in Monmouthshire. After nine months he accepted the position of surgeon superintendent to the New Zealand Government Emigration Department, and came out to the Colony per ship “Hudson,” in charge of between three and four hundred emigrants. In 1876 Dr. Pollen settled in Gisborne, Poverty Bay, where he practised his profession for fourteen years. During his stay in Gisborne, the local hospital was started under his supervision, and he continued surgeon-in-charge till leaving the district. He also acted as medical officer to the various friendly societies. In 1890, having been appointed surgeon to the Antipodean Lodge of Oddfellows, he removed to Wellington, and commenced the practice of his profession. Dr. Pollen is medical referee to the Australian Mutual Provident Society and to the New Zealand Government Life Insurance Department. He acts for the Manchester Unity and American Orders of Oddfellows, for the Foresters, and for the Female Foresters, and is one of the physicians of the Wellington Hospital, In 1885 Dr. Pollen went to Britain on a trip, and during his stay obtained the degree of Doctor of Medicine at Trinity College, Dublin.
Rawson, Ernest, M.R.C.S., L.S.A.L., Physician and Surgeon, 127 Willis Street, Wellington. Telephone 248. Dr. Rawson, who first came to New Zealand in 1858, went to England to study for his profession at St. Bartholomew's Hospital, London. He obtained his degree L.S.A.L. in 1877, and became a member of the Royal College of Surgeons of England in July, 1878. After gaining his diploma, Dr. Rawson returned to the Colony and commenced the practice of his profession in New Plymouth in 1878. He continued in Taranaki till 1881, when he removed to Wellington and founded the present practice.
Teare, John, M.B., Ch.B. Physician and Surgeon, Carlton House, 88 Cuba Street, Wellington. Telephone 326. Dr. Teare studied for his profession at the Victorian University, Manchester, and obtained his degree in 1890. Coming to New Zealand, he located in Wellington to commence the practice of his profession, residing in Willis Street, and subsequently removing to a more central position in Cuba Street. Dr. Teare takes an interest in social matters, especially with reference to suitable club-rooms for young men, where they will be free from temptations to drink intoxicants. He is one of the trustees of the Wellington Social Club.
Tripe, William Borrowdale, M.R.C.S. (England), Willis Street, Wellington. Dr. Tripe, who comes of an ancient and honourable Devonshire family—prominent as soldiers since the days of the first crusade—was born in London. Educated at the celebrated Merchant Tailors' School, he subsequently studied medicine at London Hospital, and qualified at the Royal College of Surgeons. He practised in London for some time with an elder brother, and was first honorary physician to the Shoe Black Brigade instituted by Earl Shaftesbury, with whom Dr. Tripe was dining when the scheme was formulated. There, too, he met his present wife, who is directly descended from noble families in Norfolk and Wiltshire. Coming to New Zealand soon after, he settled in Rangiora, where he was the first medical man to practise. On removing to Picton in 1870, for climatic reasons, he was the recipient of a substantial testimonial. In Picton, Dr. Tripe held the office of Provincial Surgeon, remaining till 1878, when he removed to Wellington, where he has since practised his profession.
Young, William, M.D. Physician and Surgeon, 47 Vivian Street, corner of Cambridge Terrace, Wellington. Telephone, 946. Dr. Young was born in the Empire City in 1870. He is the fourth son of Mr. Thomas Whyte Young, J.P., merchant, Wellington. Educated at the Thorndon Classical School, Wellington, and the Wellington College, he went to Edinburgh in 1888, and studied medicine there at the University. In 1892 Dr. Young gained his M.B. and C.M. degrees, and two years later his M.D., with honours. While in Edinburgh he attended at the Royal Infirmary. After gaining his M.B. C.M. degree, Dr. Young became resident medical officer at the Royal Hospital for Children and Women in London, which position he held for one year, This post he resigned to take up the duties of medical superintendent of the Hinckley Smallpox Hospital, Leicestershire, England. In 1895 he returned to Wellington, where he now practices.
New Zealand Medical Association (Wellington Branch). Officers:—Drs. Pollen (president), Anson (vice-president), Wallace Mackenzie (hon. secretary), Purdy (hon. treasurer), Harding, Young and Chapple (committee). The Wellington Branch was established in April, 1885. Its objects are to promote (1) the advancement of medical and surgical sciences; (2) the common interests of the medical profession. The New Zealand Medical Association has resolved to become a branch of the British Medical Association. The membership of the Wellington Branch is fifty-four.