The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Barristers And Solicitors
Barristers And Solicitors.
Baldwin, Percy Edward, Barrister and Solicitor, 14 Brandon Street, Wellington. Telephone 917. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Private residence, Hawkestone Street. Agents—London, Mr. G. M. Saunders, Carlton Chambers, Regent Street;—Auckland, Messrs. Devore and Cooper; Christchurch, Messrs. Loughrey and Lane; Dunedin, Messrs Bathgate and Woodhouse; Napier, Messrs. Carlile and McLean; Wanganui, Messrs. Borlase and Barnicoat. Born in Otago, and educated at the Dunedin Boys' High School, Mr. Baldwin gained his early knowledge of law in the office of Mr. A. Bathgate, solicitor, Dunedin, and successfully passed his law examinations for New Zealand at the age of nineteen. He then went to London, and entered the Middle Temple, where he secured several scholarships, and was admitted a barrister and solicitor by Lord Chief Justice Coleridge in April, 1891. Mr. Baldwin practised his profession for a short time in London in the Chancery division, and was offered an equity draughtsmanship by the Charity Commissioners. Owing to ill-health he was combelled to decline the tempting offer, and returned to the Colony in April, 1892. On arriving in Wellington, Mr. Baldwin joined Mr. John Thompson, under the style of Thompson and Baldwin, and continued a member of the firm till April, 1895, when he founded his present business. Mr. Baldwin has had large experience in connection with Native Land Court cases, involving considerable blocks of land.
Bell, Gully and Izard (H. D. Bell, Hugh Gully, C. H. Izard, and E. D. Bell) Barristers, Solicitors, and Notaries Public, Panama and Featherston Streets, Wellington, Bankers, Union Bank of Australia. Agents:—London, Messrs. J. and R. Gole, Leadenhall Street; Melbourne, Messrs. Blake and Riggall; Sydney, Johnson, Minter, Simpson and Co. This business was established in the early fifties, and some few years later Mr. C. B. Izard became proprietor, and carried it on till 1874, when he was joined by Mr. H. D. Bell, now a member of the House of Representatives for Wellington City, and the senior partner of the present firm. The style of the firm from 1874 to 1885 was “Izard and Bell.” In the latter year Mr. Izard retired, and his son and Mr. Gully joined Mr. Bell, under the present title. A few years later Mr. Ernest Bell was admitted to a partnership. Mr. Gully holds the office of Crown Prosecutor. Mr. H. D. Bell was called to the bar of the Middle Temple, and was admitted a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of New Zealand in 1874; Mr. Gully, who was for some time in partnership with Dr. (now Sir Walter) Buller, was admitted in 1879; Mr. Izard in 1883, and Mr. E. D. Bell in 1889.
Brandon and Hislop (Alfred de Bathe Brandon and Hon. Thomas W. Hislop), Barristers and Solicitors, Featherston Street, Wellington, Telephone, 42; P.O. Box 36. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales, Bank of Australasia, and National Bank of New Zealand. Private residences: Mr. A. de B. Brandon, Hopper Street; Mr. Hislop, Botanical Road. London agents, Blyth, Dutton, Hartley and Blythe, 112 Gresham House, Old Broad Street, E. C. This well-known legal firm was founded in the early days of the Colony, by the late Mr. A. de Bathe Brandon, father of the senior partner. The firm has been a prominent and reliable one since its inception. Mr. C. S. Brandon became a member of the firm in 1891, but retired in 1895. The firm are solicitors to the Bank of New South Wales, the Bank of Australasia, National Bank of New Zealand, New Zealand Trust and Loan Company, E. W. Mills and Co., Limited, the Hutt County Council, the Borough of Karori, the New Zealand Electrical Syndicate, Limited, and the McKelvie Trust.
Brown and Dean (Edward Balcombe Brown and Edwin Harland Dean), Barristers and Solicitors, 5 Lambton Quay Wellington. Telephone 12; P.O. Box 59. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Private residence: Mr. Dean, Grant Road. Agents:—Auckland, Messrs. Devore and Cooper; Dunedin, Messrs. Adams Bros.; Nelson, Messrs. Fell and Atkinson; Napier, Mr. Hugh B. Lusk; Wanganni, Messrs. Fitzherbert and Marshall; Marton, Messrs. Cash and Cohen; Invercargill, Messrs. McNab and Watson. This business was established in 1878 by Mr. F. M. Ollivier, and subsequently became in turn Messrs. Ollivier, Holland, and Brown, Ollivier and Brown, Ollivier, Brown and Pennefather, Ollivier, Brown, and Dean, and Brown, Skerrett, and Dean. The present firm was constituted on the 1st of January, 1894. Messrs. Brown and Dean are solicitors to the Wellington Gas Company, the Equitable Building and Investment Company, the South Pacific page 473 Loan Company, the South British Fire and Marine Insurance Company, and the New Zealand Farmers' Dairy Union (Limited). Mr. Brown was born in Johnsonville, and educated at Christ's College, Christchurch, and at Queen's College, Oxford. He was called to the Bar at the Inner Temple, London, in 1880, and, returning to the Colony, was admitted a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court on the 12th of April, 1881. Mr. Dean was born in Newcastle New South Wales, and educated at St. Paul's School, Wellington, Wellington College, and at the Invercargill Grammar School. Articled to Mr. F. M. Ollivier, he was admitted to practice as a barrister and solicitor on the 3rd of December 1883.
Buddle, Button, and Co. (Thomas Buddle. Charles Edward Button, Charl's Frederick Buddle, resident partner, and Andrew Hanna), Ba risters and Solicitors, 14 Brandon Street, Wellington. Telephone 980. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Head office, Wyndham Street, Auckland. Agents:—Christchurch, Messrs. Garrick, Cowhshaw and Fisher; Dunedin, Messrs. Kenyon and Hosking; Invercargill, Messrs. McDonald and Son; Napier, Messrs. Cotterill and Humphries; Wanganui, Messrs. Borlase and Barnicoat; New Plymouth, Mr. J. B. Roy; Blenheim, Mr. A. Rogers. This business was founded by the Hon. Sir Frederick Whitaker, at Russell, Bay of Islands, when the seat of Government was there. Later on it was removed to Auckland, and subsequently the Hon. T. Russell, C.M.G., joined the firm, which was then conducted under the style of Whitaker and Russell, by which name it was known for many years. Mr. Thomas Buddle, the present senior partner, was admitted to the firm in 1870. In 1883 Sir Frederick retired from the firm, and Mr. C. E. Button became a member. Ultimately, Mr. C. F. Buddle and Mr. A. Hanna were admitted into partnership, and in 1895 the style of the firm was altered to Buddle, Button and Co. Mr. C. F. Buddle, the resident partner, who is the youngest son of the Rev. Thomas Buddle, was born in Auckland. Educated at the Wellington Grammar School, under Mr. Bowden, and at the Nelson College under Mr. Simmons, he was articled to the firm of Whitaker and Russell, and admitted a barrister and solicitor in 1881. Messrs. Buddle, Button, and Co. are solicitors to the New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency Company, Limited, to the New Zealand Insurance Company, the Auckland Savings Bank, and several other large companies.
Buller and Anderson (Arthur Percival Buller and John Anderson), Barristers and Solicitors, Featherston Street, Wellington, Telephone 762. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Private residences: Mr. Buller, Tinakori Road; Mr. Anderson, Coromandel Street. Mr. Buller, who is the second son of Sir Walter Buller K.C.M.G., was born in Wanganui in 1866, and educated in the Colony and at Jesus College, Cambridge. He was called to the English Bar at the Inner Temple in 1890. Returning to the Colony, he was admitted a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of New Zealand in Wellington in 1891. Mr. Buller has since been engaged in farming in the Manawatu district for four years. Mr. Anderson was born in London, where he commenced his career in a solicitor's office. In 1869 he came per ship “Hydaspes” to Nelson, under engagement to a firm of solicitors there. After some little time he left the law, and for several years was engaged in journalistic, commercial, and maritime pursuits. Mr. Anderson joined the firm of Buller and Lewis in 1879, and remained with the firm and its successors, Buller, Lewis, and Gully, and Buller and Gully, till the amalgamation of the latter firm with Izard and Bell, under the name of Bell, Gully, and Izard, Mr. Anderson was admitted a Solicitor of the Supreme Court in 1885. He continued with the last-named firm till joining Mr. Buller in founding the present.
Bunny, Edmund Percy, B.A., Barrister and Solicitor, Featherston Street, Wellington. Telephone 406. P.O. Box 241. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Private residence, Lower Hutt. Agents:—Auckland, Messrs. Tole and McAlister; Christchurch, Messrs. Izard and Loughnan; Dunedin, Mr. John Mouat; Masterton, Mr. A. R. Bunny. This legal, business, which was established in 1888 by the late Mr. Charles E. Bunny, was acquired by Mr. E. P. Bunny in 1889 after his brother's death. Mr. Bunny is a son of the late Mr. Henry Bunny, formerly M.H.R. for the Wairarapa. Born in Wellington, he was educated at Nelson College and at Wellington College, and graduated B.A. in the New Zealand University in 1888. Mr. Bunny served his articles partly with Messrs. Izard and Loughman, of Christchurch, and partly with his brother in Wellington. He was admitted a solicitor of the Supreme Court in 1889, and a barrister in the following year.
Burgess, Edward Loftie, Barrister and Solicitor, 30 Lambton Quay, Wellington. Backers, Bank of Austra lasia. Private residence, Ruahine House, McDonald Crescent. Mr. Burgess is a son of the late Rev. Bryant Burgess, M.A., who was for thirty-nine years Rector of Latimer, Buckinghamshire, and for thirteen years Rural Dean of Anhersham. The reverend gentleman, who was much beloved and respected by all classes, was an artist of no mean ability as well as an enthusiastic naturalist. Mr. E. L. Burgess was born at Latimer, near Chesham, educated at Haileybary College, and articled to Messrs. Francis and Howe, solicitors, of Chesham. He was admitted a solicitor of the Supreme Court of Judicature in England in July, 1879, and practised some years in London. Mr. Burgess came to the colonies per Orient liner “Cuzco,” and crossed the Tasman Sea, arriving in Wellington on the 1st of October, 1891. Mr. Burgess arrived too late for the November legal examinations in 1891, but passed the solicitor's examination in November, 1892, and was admitted a solicitor of the Supreme Court of New Zealand on the 2nd of March, 1893. He afterwards spent a few months in Tasmania where he was admitted a barrister on the 8th of December, 1893. Returning to New Zealand, he became a barrister on the 6th of April, 1894, and since this time has practised his profession in Wellington. Mr. Burgess takes a deep interest in literary and debating societies. He is a vice-president of the Wesley Church Literary and Debating Society. A frequent attendent at the meetings of the Citizens' Institute, his voice is often heard, and his speeches are much appreciated by members and the public. He has also considerable ability as a reciter.
Campbell, James Palmer, Barrister, Solicitor and Patent Agent, Temple Chambers, Featherston Street, Wellington. Cable address, special through Reuter's. Telephone 705; P.O. Box, 237. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, 66 Wellington Terrace. Agents:—London, Messrs. Minshalls, Parry Jones, Woosnam and Smith, 27 Chancery Lane, E.C.; Sydney, Mr. Eliott Meyer; Auckland, Messrs. Russell and Campbell; New Plymouth, Mr. O. Samuel; Wanganui, Messrs. Fitzherbert and Marshall; Hunterville, Mr. W. Meldrum; Birmingham (near Feilding) Mr. E. Sandeman; Hawera, Mr. Harry Capten: Falmerston North, Messrs. Guy and Haggitt; Gisborne, Messrs Rees Bros.; Napier, Mr. H. B. Lusk; Pahiatua, Mr. A. M. Gould; Masterton, Mr. C. H. Pownall; Carterton, Mr. R. J. page 474 Aoheson; Greytown, Mr. H. Stratton Izard; Blenheim, Mr. J. R. Connolly; Christchurch, Mr. Wynn-Williams; Oamaru, Mr. H. B. Crawford; Dunedin, Messrs. N. Downey Stewart and Co.; Invercargill, Mr. John Macalister. Mr. Campbell, who is also a Commissioner of the Supreme Court of Fiji, established himself in Wellington in 1893; but for many years prior to that time he had been well known in legal circles in the Auckland district. Mr. Campbell was born at Helensburgh, the favourite watering place, Dumbartonshire, Scotland, and educated at the Helensburgh Free Church School and Academy. In 1868 he came to the Colony, landing in Nelson, where he remained a year. The excitement at the Thames induced Mr. Campbell to spend some time on the goldfields there, after which he removed to the Waikato, where for a while he engaged in farming. Here he studied for the law with Messrs. Whitaker and Sheehan; and on his admission to the Bar in 1883, he joined his senior principal under the title of Messrs. Whitaker and Campbell. This partnership had subsisted but a year when Mr. Campbell was offered a junior partnership in his brother's firm—that of Messrs. Russell and Campbell, Auckland. In that position he remained some nine years, when he decided to make his home in the Capital. Politically, Mr. Campbell has had some experience, and on one occasion narrowly escaped admission to Parliament. In 1879, he contested the Waikato seat with Mr. J. B. White, who won the election with only thirty-one votes to spare. Since then Mr. Campbell has not actively concerned himself with colonial politics, though he has been placed in other positions of usefulness. For the years 1883 and 1884 he was chairman of the Piako County Council, and for some two or three terms occupied the same position in the Town Board of Cambridge. As a member of the Cambridge School Committee he also rendered valuable services. In Wellington Mr. Campbell's time has been fully occupied building up his new business; but now that his extra work is fairly through, he may be heard of politically. As a member of the Citizens' Institute his voice is frequently heard in the cause of humanity; and he finds his physical recreation on the Wellington Bowling Green. Mr. Campbell is a Master Mason, and a member of St. Andrew's Lodge, Auckland.
Chapman and Tripp (Martin Chapman and Leonard Owen Howard Tripp), Barristers, Solicitors and Notaries Public, 12 Brandon Street, Wellington. Telephone 62; P.O. Box, 69. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residences:—Mr. Chapman, Golder's Hill, Hill Street; Mr. Tripp, Guilford Terrace, Hill Street. Agents:—London, Messrs. Rowcliffes, Rawle and Co., No. 1 Bedford Row; Sydney, Messrs. Allen, Allen and Hempsey and Messrs. Stephen, Jaques and Stephen; Auckland, Messrs. Hesketh and Richmond; Gisborne, Mr. C. A. de Latour; Napier, Messrs. Sainsbury and Logan and Messrs. Wilson and Cotterill; New Plymouth, Mr. C. W. Govett; Wanganui, Mr. J. P. Watt; Palmerston North, Mr. T. B. Crump; Pahiatua, Mr. William Tosswill; Masterton, Mr. C. F. Gawith; Greytown, Mr. R. W. Tait; Blenheim, Messrs. McIntyre and Sharp and Mr. Alfred Rodgers; Nelson, Messrs. Fell and Atkinson; Rangiora, Mr. G. H. Helmore; Christchurch, Messrs. Beswick and Harris, Messrs. Duncan and Cotterill and T. W. Maude; Ashburton, Mr. C. W. Purnell; Timaru, Mr. C. H. Tripp; Oamaru, Mr.—Harvey; Dunedin, Messrs. Smith, Chapman, Sinclair and White; Invercargill, T. M. Macdonald and Sons. This important legal house was established by Mr. M. Chapman in conjunction with the late Mr. William Fitzgerald, referred to respectively on pages 302 and 297 of this volume. Mr. Tripp is the son of Mr. C. G. Tripp, of Orari Gorge, Canterbury—an early and much-respected settler and sheep-farmer—and was born in Melbourne. He was educated at Christ's College, Christchurch, and at Trinity Hall, Cambridge, England. In 1886 he was called to the Bar of the Inner Temple, and two years later began to practise in Wellington. In 1889 the present partnership was arranged. Mr. Tripp takes a warm interest in athletics, football, tennis, golf, polo, etc., and holds several offices in connection therewith, among which may be mentioned the secretaryship of the Golf Club, President of the Selwyn Football Club, and the vice-presidency of the Wellington Athletic Club and the New Zealand Football Association. He is also a member of the council of the Rowing Association, and in legal matters several appointments are in his hands. For some years he was a member of the council of the Law Society. Messrs. Chapman and Tripp are solicitors for the Australian Mutual Provident Society, the Trust and Agency Company of Australasia, the Standard Insurance Company, the United Insurance Company, the Upland Farm Company, the New Zealand University, the School Commissioners and numerous other bodies, besides, of course, a large number of private clients.
Devine James Joseph, Barrister and solicitor, Mutual Life Insurance Buildings, Brandon Street, Wellington. Private residence, Hawker Street. Mr. Devine, who was admitted to the profession in 1883, commenced to practise in 1884. He is well known throughout the Colony as the compiler of the “Handy Book of Bankruptcy Law,” which he published in 1883, and of the “New Bankruptcy Law, 1892” (published in 1894), both of which works were published by Messrs. Edwards and Co., of Wellington. Mr. Devine is one of the councillors for the city of Wellington, and under that heading further particulars concerning his professional career will be found.
Edwards, Worley Bassett, Barrister and Solicitor, Featherston Street, Wellington. Telephone 698. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Hill Street. Admitted to the bar in 1875, Mr. Edwards has long been a well-known practitioner in the Courts of the Colony. For years he was the senior partner in the firm of Moorhouse and Edwards. After his disqualification as a Judge of the Supreme Court, in June, 1892, upon the grounds that his appointment was ultra vires of the powers of the Governor, Mr. Edwards commenced his present business. Further particulars of his career will be found in this section under Wellington Law Society.
Gray, Alexander, Barrister and Solicitor, Imperial Chambers, Featherston Street, Wellington. Telephone, 399. Private Residence, Brougham Street. Educated at Wellington College, Mr. Gray was admitted a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of New Zealand, in 1881, and at once commenced to practice his profession in Greytown, Wairarapa. In 1886 he removed to Wellington, establishing the present business.
Hall, Henry, Barrister and Solicitor, Mutual Life Buildings, Brandon Street, Wellington. Telephone, 60; P.O. Box 124. Bankers, Union Bank of Australia, Limited. Private residence, 54 Thorndon Quay. Agents: Auckland, Mr. A. E. Whitaker; Napier, Mr. W. Dinwiddie; Christchurch, Mr. T. G. Russell; Dunedin, Messrs. Duncan and Macgregor; Nelson, Mr. R. W. W. Kingdon. Mr. Hall acted as Secretary to Chief Justice Sir James Prendergast, during the years 1875 to 1880, and was admitted a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court on the 30th of May. 1881, and established the present business in the following year He is a Notary Public and Commissioner for taking affidavits for the Supreme Courts of the Australian colonies. Mr. Hall also acts as a Patent Agent.
Hamerton and Andrew (Robert Chisenhall Hamerton and John Chapman Andrew, B.A., Oxon.) Barristers and Solicitors, Lambton Quay, Wellington. Telephone 393; P.O. Box 344. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Hamerton, whose career is given under the heading “Military,” commenced the practice of his profession in partnership with Mr. C. F. Richmond, son of Mr. Justice Richmond, in March, 1892. Six months later he purchased his partner's interest, and on January 1st, 1893, admitted Mr. Mr. J. C. Andrew into the firm. Mr. Andrew, a son of the Rev. J. C. Andrew, of Ica, near Tenui, is a native of Yorkshire. He was educated first at Nelson College where his father was head master, and subsequently at Oxford, where he took his degree with honours in 1889. Mr. Andrew was called to the bar in England. On his return to the Colony, he was for some time in the office of Messrs. Brandon, Hislop and Brandon, and in 1893 he joined Mr. Hamerton, with whom he has remained in partnership ever since.
Haselden, William Reeye, Barrister, Solicitor, Notary Public and Patent Agent, 24 Featherston Street, Wellington. Cable Address, “Haselden, Wellington.” Telephones: Office, 665; Private residence (Molesworth Street), 777. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Agents: London, Messrs. Paines Blyth and Huxtable, St. Helen's Place; Edinburgh, Messrs. Strathern and Blair, Charlotte Street; Melbourne, Messrs. Ellison and Simpson: Sydney, Messrs. Abbott, Vinden and Littlejohn; Auckland, Messrs. Calder and Goldwater; Wanganui, Messrs. Borlase and Barnicoat; Palmerston North, Mr. E. O. Hurley, Mr. H. G. Moore, and Mr. G. F. Hawkins; Christchurch, Messrs. Garrick and Co., and Messrs. S. S. Nestor and Co.; Dunedin, Messrs. Kenyon and Hosking; Nelson, Messrs. Fell and Atkinson; Westport, Mr. C. E. Harden. Mr. Haselden commenced the practice of his profession in Westport and Reefton in 1872, and has therefore had an experience of nearly a quarter of a century. In 1889 he removed to Wellington and has a good practice at the capital. Particulars of Mr. Haselden's career are more fully referred to under heading “Military,” and need not therefore be repeated here.
Hindmarsh, Alfred Humphrey, Barrister and Solicitor, Grey Street, Wellington. Telephone, 4. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Private residence, Mein Street, Newtown. Mr. Hindmarsh was born in Adelaide and educated at St. Peter's College in that city. He was for some time in the office of Messrs. Smith, Chapman, Sinclair and White, of Dunedin, and was admitted a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of New Zealand in Christchurch in 1890. He commenced to practise his profession in Wellington in 1894.
Holdsworth, F., Solicitor and Patent Agent, 40 Lambton Quay, Wellington. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Mr. Holdsworth, who is the fourth son of the late Mr. J. G. Holdsworth, Commissioner of Crown Lands at Wellington, was born in 1871. He was educated at the Wellington College and at the Wanganui Collegiate School, and studied for his profession in the office of Mr. W. H. Quick. Mr. Holdsworth was admitted a solicitor of the Supreme Court on the fourth of February, 1896, and at once entered, on the practice of his profession.
Jardine, Alexander, Solicitor, Imperial Chambers, Featherston Street, Wellington. P.O. Box 2. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Private residence, The Terrace. Agents:—London, Messrs. Fowler and Co.; Edinburgh, Scotland, Messrs. Ronald, Ri chie, and Ellis, W.S.; Christchurch, Messrs. Loughrey and Lane; Nelson, Messrs. Fell and Atkinson; Blenheim, Mr. J. R. Connolly; Napier, Mr. H. B. Lusk. Mr. Jardine was born in 1853 in Dumfries, Scotland, and educated at local schools and the Edinburgh University. He was articled in his native town and afterwards for five years attended the University classes at Edinburgh, where he entered the office of Messrs. Ellis, W.S., and remained in that office for seven years. He was in 1875 admitted a procurator of the Sheriff Courts of Dumfriesshire and enrolled as a Law Agent in Scotland, qualified to practise in all the Courts in that country. Mr. Jardine practised his profession in Dumfriesshire till leaving for the colonies in the end of 1888. He travelled per Orient liner “Ormuz” to Sydney, and reached Wellington in March, 1889. After arrival Mr. Jardine studied New Zealand law, and, having passed the prescribed examinations, was admitted a solicitor of the Supreme Court of New Zealand in 1893, since which time he has practised his profession in the Empire City. In 1891, having learned of the depression among agriculturalists owing to defective organization, Mr. Jardine was successful in founding the Co-operative and Farmers' Alliance, Limited, the first of its kind in the North Island. A number of similar societies soon sprang up, and this society became merged in the United Farmers Alliance, Limited, which has recently amalgamated with the Manawatu Farmers' Co-operative Association, Limited.
Jollicoe, Edwin George, Barrister and Solicitor, Customhouse Quay, Wellington. Telephone 2. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, 29 The Terrace, London agents, Messrs. Royle and Co., 5 Bedford Row, W.C. Mr. Jellicoe is an English solicitor, having been admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of Judicature on the 16th of December, 1878. Until 1884 Mr. Jellicoe practised as one of the solicitors to Her Majesty's Treasury on the South Wales circuit at Swansea. On the 14th of January, 1882, Lord Selbourne, as Chancellor, appointed Mr. Jellicoe a Commissioner of the Supreme Court of England. In consequence of his health breaking down in England, the subject of this notice arrived in New Zealand on the 8th of October, 1884. On the 29th of the same month he passed the barrister's examination, and on the 10th of November of that year he was admitted a barrister and solicitor of the Colony. Mr. Jellicoe is a Commissioner of the Supreme Courts of South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland, and Tasmania, also for Cape Colony, India, and Straits Settlements, and is authorised to take acknowledgments of deeds and of married women for each of these colonies. He is also a notary public. On the 7th of June, 1883, Mr. Jellicoe was elected a member of the Incorporated Law Society of the United Kingdom. He is also a member of the National Liberal Club. At the general election of 1890, Mr. Jellicoe unsuccessfully contested one of the Wellington seats in the House of Representatives. He has since been twice requisitioned to stand for Wellington City and for Palmerston North, but for business reasons was obliged to decline.
Kirk, Atkinson and Wilson (Richard Clement Kirk, Edmond Tudor Atkinson, and James Wilson), Barristers and Solicitors, New Zealand Government Insurance Buildings, Panama Street, Wellington. Telephone 423; P.O. Box 137. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residences: Mr. Kirk, Petone; Mr. Atkinson, Brougham Street; Mr. Wilson, Tinakori Road. Agents: London, Messrs. G. B. Lawrence and Co., page 476 furnival's Inn; Auckland, Mr. W. Gittos; Christchurch Messrs. Caygill and Widdowson; Dunedin, Messrs. Stout, Mondy and Sim; Nelson, Messrs. Fell and Atkinson; Blenheim, Mr. R. McCallum; Napier, Messrs. Carlile and McLean; Wanganui, Messrs Borlase and Barnicoat; New Plymouth, Mr. C. W. Govett. Mr. Kirk is the eldest son of the Rev. W. Kirk, of Petone. He was articled to Messrs. Buller and Gully, and was in May, 1884, admitted a barrister and solicitor. Mr. Atkinson is the second son of the late Sir H. A. Atkinson, K.C.M.G. Mr. Wilson served his articles with Mr. J. B. Roy, of New Plymouth, becoming a member of the profession in May, 1890. The business was established by the senior partner in 1884. Mr. Atkinson joined the firm in March, 1887, and Mr. Wilson in 1893. Messrs. Kirk, Atkinson and Wilson are conveyancing solicitors to the New Zealand Government Life Insurance Departmeant.
Levi and Bolton (Phineas Levi, M.A., and Frederick George Bolton), Barristers and Solicitors, 27 Lambton Quay, Wellington. Telephone 732; P.O. Box 105. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residences: Mr. Levi, 93 Willis Street; Mr. Bolton, Roxburgh Street. Agents—Auckland, Mr. F. E. Baume; Christchurch, Messrs. Stringer and Cresswell; Invercargill, Messrs. McNab and Watson. Mr. Levi was born in Sydney, New South Wales, and received his education mostly in Dunedin. Articled to Messrs. Sievwright and Stout, he was admitted a barrister and solicitor in Dunedin in 1884. Mr. Levi studied at the New Zealand University, and gained his M.A. degree with honours in mental science in 1887. Mr. Bolton was born in Wellington, and educated at the Wellington College. He served his articles with Messrs. Bell, Gully, and Izard, and subsequently was in the employ of Messrs. Chapman, Fitzgerald, and Tripp. He passed his solicitor's law examination at the age of nineteen, and his barrister's examination at the age of twenty, and was admitted a barrister and solicitor in 1888. Mr. Levi commenced practice in Wellington in February, 1887, being joined by Mr. Bolton, who had previously practised solely in Wellington for eighteen months, in March, 1892.
Martin and Richmond (Thomas Frederic Martin and Maurice Wilson Richmond), Barristers and Solicitors, Featherston Street, Wellington. Telephones: Office, 682; Mr. Martin (private), 800. Bankers, Union Bank of Australia. Private residences: Mr. Martin, Wesley Road; Mr. Richmond, Gladstone Terrace, Agents:—London, Mr. R. J. Bowerman, 3 Gray's Inn Square; Auckland, Messrs. Devore and Cooper; Christchurch, Messrs. Duncan and Cotterill. The firm of Messrs. Martin and Richmond was established in 1892; but both partners were well and favourably known in Wellington and other parts of the Colony before that date. For several years Mr. Martin held the dual appointments of Town Clerk and City Solicitor for Wellington. He still holds the City Solicitorship, and under that head a short sketch of his career is given. Mr. Richmond is a son of Mr. J. C. Richmond, referred to on page 69 hereof. He was a law student with Messrs. Fell and Atkinson, of Nelson from 1880 to 1883, and was admitted a barrister and solicicitor of the Supreme Court of New Zealand in August, 1883. For some time Mr. Richmond held the appointment of secretary to the late Judge Richmond, his uncle; and in 1884 he entered into partnership in Wellington with his cousin, the eldest son of the late Judge—Mr. Christopher Richmond, now of New Plymouth. The firm of Messrs. Richmond and Richmond continued until 1891. Mr. Richmond holds the offices of solicitor to the Wellington District Law Society, and Law Reporter to the New Zealand Council of Law Reporting, for the Supreme Court in Wellington, and the Court of Appeal. He also compiled and edited The New Zealand Digest issued by the Council of Law Reporting in 1894. Besides their various legal appointments, Messrs Martin and Richmond conduct a growing general business. Mr. Martin is also solietor for the Municipal Association and for the Counties Association.
Menteath and Beere (Andrew Agnew Stuart Menteath and Oswald Beere), Barristers and Solicitors, 6 Lambton Quay, Wellington, next Bank of New Zealand. Cable address, “Rabienus;” code, special through Reuter's. Telephones: Office, 408; Mr. Menteath's private residence, 962, P.O. Box 335. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Private residences: Mr. Menteath, Molesworth Street; Mr. Beere, Hill Street. Agents:—London, Messrs. Lawrence, Waldron, and Webster, 14 Old Jury Chambers, E.C.; Auckland, Messrs. Hesketh and Richmond; New Plymouth, Mr. O. Samuels; Wanganui, Messrs. Borlase and Barnicoat; Palmerston North, Mr. Herbert Hankins; Gisborne, Mr. E. Lysnar; Napier, Mr. Hugh B. Lusk; Pahiatua, Mr. Wm. Tosswill; Masterton, Mr. C. A. Pownall; Lower Wairarapa, Mr. John W. Card; Blenheim, Mr. Alfred Rogers; Nelson, Messrs. Adams and Kingdon; Hokitika, Messrs. Guinness, Kitchingham and Free; Christchurch, Mr. John Joyce; Dunedin, Messrs. Stamford and Milne. This business was established by Mr. Menteath immediately on his retiring from the firm of Messrs. Jellicoe and Menteath in 1886. Reference to Mr. Menteath's career will be found on pages 266 and 267, among the ex-members of Parliament. Mr. Beere, son of Mr. E. H. Beere, the well-known surveyor, was born in Auckland in 1870, and was educated at the Wanganui Collegiate School, under Dr. Harvey. For several years before entering into the business he had been connected with it, rising to the position of managing clerk. After a successful course of study privately, Mr. Beere passed his examinations, and was admitted a solicitor of the Supreme Court of New Zealand in 1891.
Moorhouse and Hadfield (William Harold Sefton Moorhouse and Ernest Frederic Hadfield), Barristers, Solicitors and Notaries Public, 19 Featherston Street, Wellington. Telephones: Office, 584; Mr. Moorhouse (private residence), 585. P.O. Box 74. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand and Bank of New Zealand. Private residences: Mr. Moorhouse, Dixon Street; Mr. Hadfield, Hill Street. This legal business was established in 1886 by Mr. W. H. Sefton Moorhouse, admitted in 1884, who conducted it solely until 1892, when he was joined by Mr. Hadfield, who for a year or so had been practising in Wellington in company with his brother under the title of Messrs. Hadfield and Hadfield. Both gentlemen having an extensive connection, Messrs. Moorhouse and Hadfield soon became a well-known firm. Mr. Moorhouse, who is a son of the late Mr. William Sefton Moorhouse, briefly referred to on page 287 hereof, was born in Christchurch and educated in the Colony, principally at the Wanganui Collegiate School and the Wellington College. He was admitted to the Bar in 1884, and received his notarial appointment in 1893. Captain Moorhouse was for fifteen years an officer of the D Battery of Artillery Volunteers, during the last six of which he had command of the Corps. Mr. Hadfield, who is the son of the well-known Bishop and former Primate, was born at Otaki, the headquarters of the Church of England Mission in these parts, where his father so nobly served his Queen and country by the mere use of his powerful influence over the natives in the most critical times of the war. After a short course at the Wellington College Mr. Hadfield went to England and studied at Derby School and the Selwyn College, Cambridge. He was called to the Bar of the Inner Temple in 1888, page 477 admitted in New Zealand a year later. Messrs. Moorhouse and Hadfield's offices are centrally situated at the corner of Featherston and Panama Streets.
Morison and Atkinson (Charles Bruce Morison and Arthur Richmond Atkinson, Barristers and Solicitors, Government Insurance Buildings, Panama Street, Wellington. Telephone 823; P.O. Box 83. Private residences: Mr. Morrison, Aurora Terrace; Mr. Atkinson, Wadestown. This business was founded by Mr. Morison in 1885. Mr. Atkinson, a nephew of the late Hon. Sir Harry Albert Atkinson, K.C.M.G., who had such a distinguished political career in the Colony, joined the firm in 1892, since which year it has been conducted as above. Mr. Atkinson has long been well-known as a leader in the Temperance crusade, holding pronounced views on Prohibition, which cause he is ready to advocate as opportunity offers.
Mouat, John, Barrister and Solicitor, No. 1 Grey Street, Wellington. Private residence, Aurora Terrace. Mr. Mouat was with Messrs. Sievwright and Stout in Wellington before his admission as a barrister and solicitor in 1884. Subsequently, he was with Messrs. Sievwright and Delatour in Gisborne, and afterwards with Messrs. Nolan and Skeet of the same place. In 1888 he removed to Wellington, and was for some time in the office of Mr. C. B. Morison before commencing to practice on his own behalf in 1884.
Paterson, Alexander Stephen, Barrister and Solicitor, 14 Brandon Street, Wellington. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Private residence, Hawkestone Street, Wellington. Agents: London, Messrs. Lumley and Lumley; Edinburgh, Mr. J. W. Deas, 15 Queen Street; Auckland, Messrs. Hill and Mahoney, and Tole and McAlister; Christchurch, Messrs. Stringer and Cresswell; Dunedin, Mr. W. C. McGregor. Mr. Paterson is a son of Mr. Duncan Wilkie Paterson, solicitor of the Supreme Court of Scotland. Born in 1857 in Edinburgh, he was educated at public schools and at the Edinburgh University, and after a Severe course of study passed the requisite examination and became an advocate of the Supreme Court of Scotland in 1882. For six years he practised his profession in Edinburgh, and left for the Colony per s.s. “ Coptic “ in 1888. Arriving in Wellington, Mr. Paterson read up New Zealand law and passed the prescribed examinations, securing admission as a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of New Zealand in 1890. Mr. Paterson is the only advocate of the Supreme Court of Scotland at present in practice in the Colony.
Quick, William Henry, Barrister, Solicitor, and notary Public, Featherston Street, Wellington. Telephones: Office, 995; private residence, 945; P.O. Box 24. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, “ Sandford,” Wellington Terrace. Agents : London, Phelps, Sedgwick, and Biddle; Scotland, Neil, Son, and Orkney, Greenock; Auckland, Devore and Cooper; Dunedin Messrs. Kenyon and Hosking; Napier, Messrs. Williams and Loughnan. Mr. Quick was originally intended for the Equity Bar, but had to abandon the idea owing to a break down in his healt. He served his articles in Sydney, under Sir_George Wigram Allen, and was admitted as a solicitor in 1866. Almost immediately Mr. Quick crossed over to New Zealand, and became a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court, in the same year settling in Wanganui, where he practised his profession until the end of Titokowaru's war. In 1870 he removed to Wellington, and entered into partnership with the late Mr. A. de B. Brandon, with whom he continued for seven years, under the style of Brandon and Quick. In 1877 he established his present business. Mr. Quick acts as solicitor for the Wellington Hospital Trustees, and for Courts Sir George Bowen and Sir George Grey, A.O.F., and numerous others. Further particulars will be found under the heading of “ Wellington Ex-Councillors,” Mr. Quick having served the City as a councillor, representing the principal ward in the municipality for several years.
Skerrett and Wylie (Charles Perris Skerrett and Andrew Wylie), 71 Lambton Quay, Wellington. Telephone 723; P.O. Box 170. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Private residences: Mr. Skerrett, Sydney Street; Mr. Wylie, Clifton Terrace. Agents: Auckland, Messrs. Gillin and Colbeck; Napier, Mr. H. A. Cornford; Hawera, Mr. E. L. Barton; Wanganui, Messrs. Fitzherbert and Marshall; Nelson, Messrs. Adams and Kingdon; Blenheim, Mr. R. McCallum; Christchurch, Messrs. Acton-Adams and Kippenberger; Dunedin, Mr. S.Solomon. Mr. Skerrett was born and educated in Wellington, articled to Messrs. Bell, Gully and Izard, and in 1885. admitted a barrister and solicitor. Mr. Wylie was born in Dundee, and came to New Zealand per ship “ Queen,” which arrived in Auckland in 1865. Educated at private schools in Auckland, at Mr. Mowbray's school, Thorndon, and at Nelson College, he was with Messrs. Travers and Ollivier from 1874 to 1878, with Mr. F. M. Ollivier till 1883, with Messrs. Ollivier, Holland and Brown till 1885, and with Messrs. Buckley, Stafford and Bacton till 1887. Mr. Skerrett became a member of the firm of Messrs. Brown, Skerrett and Dean in 1887, but retired in 1893, and was joined by Mr. Wylie in January, 1894, in the present business.
Stafford, Treadwell, and Field (Edward Stafford, Charles Herbert Treadwell, and William Hughes Field), Barristers and Solicitors, Government Insurance Buildings, Panama Street, Wellington. Telephone 47. P.O. Box 80. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residences: Mr. Stafford, The Terrace; Mr. Treadwell, Lower Hutt; Mr. Field, Everton Terrace. Agents: London, Messrs. Paine and Co.; 14 St. Helen's Place, E.C.; Auckland, Messrs. Buddie, Button and Co.; Christchuch, Mr. T. S. Weston; Dunedin, Messrs. Stout, Mondy and Sim; Wanganui, Messrs. Treadwell and Lloyd. This important legal house was founded in 1843 by the lat Hon. Robert Hart, M.L.C., whose notice appears under the heading of “ Late Legislative Councillors.” Mr. (now Sir Patrick) Buckley joined him in 1869. Mr. Hart retired in 1879, and Mr. Stafford then joined Mr. Buckley and Mr. H. S. Fitzherbert. Mr. Treadwell joined Messrs. Buckley and Stafford in May, 1887, and the business was carried on under the title of Messrs. Buckley, Stafford and Treadwell until the 1st of December, 1895, when Sir Patrick Buckley, in consequence of his elevation to the Bench, withdrew, and Mr. Field, who had for several years been managing clerk, was admitted to a partnership. Some particulars of Sir Patrick Buckley's colonial career are given under heading “ Her Majesty's Government,” and further particulars regarding Mr. Stafford may be found among the articles devoted to the ex-Councillors of Wellington. Mr. Treadwell is a son of the Rev. J. Treadwell, the Presbyterian Minister at Wanganui. In 1877 he was articled to Mr. George Hutchison, and completed his articles under Mr. C. H. Borlase. He was admitted a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of New Zealand in September, 1883, and in 1885 he accepted the position of managing clerk with the firm of which he became a member two years later. Mr. Field's career is briefly referred to in connection with the Star Boating Club, in which he has for the past six years held the high position of Captain. It need only be added here that he page 478 was educated at Wellington College, that he served articles under Mr. C. H. Borlase, of Wanganui, and that he qualified for admission as a barrister and solicitor in 1890. Messrs. Stafford, Treadwell, and Field, are solicitors for the Bank of New Zealand, the Public Trustee, the Government Insurance Commissioner, New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency Company, Limited, the National Mutual Life Assurance Association, the Phoenix Assurance Company, the New Zealand Insurance Company, the Standard Insurance Company, the Citizen's Life Insurance Company, the Wellington Building and Investment Company, and many others. Mr. Treadwell is Commissioner for the colony of South Australia.
Stout, Mondy, Sim and Findlay (the Hon. Sir Robert Stout, K.C.M.G., George Mondy, William Alexander Sim, and John George Findlay, LL.D.), Barristers and Solicitors, Colonial Exchange Buildings, Lambton Quay, Wellington. Telephone 867; P.O. Box 298. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Private residences:- Sir Robert Stout, Watson Street; Dr. Findlay, 31 Wellington Terrace; Messrs. Mondy and Sim, Dunedin. Dr. Findlay, LL.D., was born in Dunedin, and received part of his education at Scott's Academy, Hokitika. He entered the Otago College of the New Zealand University, matriculating in 1881. He took his LL.B. degree in 1886 and his LL.D, degree in 1891. Dr. Findlay entered the office of Messrs. Fraser and Stilling, of Dunedin, in 1885, and was admitted a barrister and solicitor in 1887. Particulars of Sir Robert Stout's career are given under the heading “Members for Wellington City.”
Tanner, Cyril William, Barrister and Solicitor, Equitable Buildings, Lambton Quay, Wellington. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Private residence, 96 Wellington Terrace. Mr. Tanner commenced the practice of his profession in Wellington in the year 1888. For further particulars see “Wellington Corporation.”
Thompson, John, Barrister and Solicitor, 11 Brandon Street, Wellington. Telephone 428. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Private residence, Nairn Street. Agents—Auckland, Messrs. Devore and Cooper; Christchurch, Messrs. Loughrey and Lane; Dunedin, Messrs. Stout, Monday, and Sim; Nelson, Messrs. Fell and Atkinson; Napier, Messrs. Carlisle and McLean; Wanganui, Messrs. Borlase and Barnicoat; New Plymouth, Mr. O. Samuels. Mr. Thompson was born in Wellington on the 7th of July, 1856, and was educated as he was able to obtain information from time to time. He attended the old school at Kaiwarrawarra, and after having left that place, he assisted his brother, Mr. C. Thompson, who for many years was well known as the lessor of the toll-gate, Kaiwarrawarra. Mr. Charles Thompson was a prominent figure in local matters. He was connected with the Kaiwarrawarra Town Board, and took an active part in volunteer and military matters, being captain of the Kaiwarrawarra rifle volunteer corps. Mr. J. Thompson obtained a seat in the office of the late Hon. A. de B. Brandon, and after having left the service of that firm, then known as Messrs. Brandon, Shaw, and Brandon, Mr. Thompson decided to make an effort to study in order to qualify himself for the examination in general knowledge, so as to be ready to meet the requirements of the statutory law. Mr. Thompson devoted many hours to study, under the tuition of Messrs. E. T. Mason, Registrar of Friendly Societies, Kenneth Wilson, and E. T. Charlensed respectively, and presented himself for examination when the late lamented Dr. West was examiner. Mr. Thompson was notified on the 16th of April, 1884, that he had passed his general knowledge examination, and on the 29th of October following he was advised that he had finally passed the examination in law. He was admitted to practice as a barrister and solicitor on the 12th of November, 1884, after application having been made to his Honour Mr. Justice Johnston. Mr. Thompson was for some time employed by Mr. Edward Shaw, the prominent magistrate, who for many years was well known in Nelson in connection with scholastic matters. On the 28th of August, 1888, Mr. Thompson was married to Annie Milne, daughter of Mr. William Scott-Milne, one of the oldest settlers in the Hutt District, and for many years a member of the Provincial Council. His contemporaries were the best known men in Wellington. The present practice was established in June, 1886. Subsequently Mr. W. R. Haselden joined Mr. Thompson, under the style of Haselden and Thompson, and on Mr. Haselden's retirement Mr. P. E. Baldwin was admitted to the partnership, the firm being Thompson and Baldwin. Mr. Baldwin retired about the end of 1894, and Mr. Thompson has continued to practise solely. Mr. Thompson was admitted to act as a patent agent, in accordance with “The Patent Agents and Trade Marks Act, 1889.” on the 7th of April, 1892.
Travers, William Thomas Locke, F.L.S., Barrister and Solicitor, Featherston Street, Wellington. Telephone 38. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand and Colonial Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Hobson Street. Mr. Travers, whose career is referred to under the head of ex-members of Wellington City, is an English solicitor. Admitted in London in 1844, and on arrival in New Zealand to the Colonial Bar, he has been prominent in his profession up to the present day. Since 1869 Mr. Travers has been in business in the Empire City. For several years he occupied the position of City Solicitor, and was solicitor to the Wellington Gas Company. He is at present the legal adviser of the Wellington and Manawatu Railway Company, the Wellington Woollen Company, the Patent Slip Company, and others.
Tringham, Charles Winforton, Barriater and Solicitor, Commercial Union Buildings, Lambton Quay, Wellington. Bankers, Union Bank of Australia. Private residence, Palmer Street. Agents:—Auckland, Mr. John Sinclair; New Plymouth, Mr. C. W. Govett; Greytown North, Mr. B. W. Tate. Mr. Tringham, who is a son of Mr. Charles Tringham, the architect, but who is now a sheep-farmer at Pigeon Bush, Wairarapa, was born in Wellington, educated at Wellington College and St. Patrick's College, and studied law while acting as law clerk to Messrs. Kirk and Atkinson, barristers and solicitors, with whom he remained for six years. He was admitted a solicitor of the Supreme Court in March, 1893, and established himself in business in May, 1894. Mr. Tringham is solicitor to the No. 1, No. 2, and No. 3 Co-operative Building Societies.
Wilford, Thomas Mason, Barrister and Solicitor, 14 Featherston Street, Wellington. Telephone 13. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Private residence, Lower Hutt. Agents:—Auckland, Messrs. Devore and Cooper; Napier, Messrs. Carlile and McLean; New Plymouth, Mr. O. Samuels; Wanganui, Messrs. Borlase and Barnicoat; Christchurch, Messrs. Flesher and Fuller; Dunedin, Mr. Allen Holmes. Born in Wellington in 1870. Mr. Wilford was educated at Canterbury College, Christchurch, and returning to his native city, he was articled to Messrs. Brandon. Hislop, and Brandon. He passed his final examination when but eighteen years old, and was admitted on the 22nd of June, 1891, as a solicitor, and on the 31st of May, 1894, as a barrister of the Supreme Court. Mr. Wilford joined Mr. W. T. L. Travers, under the style of Travers and Wilford, and continued a member of the firm for three years, when he commenced business on his own page 479 account. He is solicitor for the Union Steam Shipping Company or New Zealand, the Lower Hutt Borough Council, the Wellington Agricultural and Pastoral Association, the Wellington Carriers' Union, Hunterville Small Farm Association, Anderson and Co., Hutt Park Trustees, Licensed Victuallers Association (Suburbs). In 1893 Mr. Wilford contested the seat for Wellington Suburbs against Dr. A. K. Newman the sitting member, by whom he was defeated by a narrow majority.
Williams, Robert Bradford, B.A., Barrister and Solicitor, Old Supreme Court Buildings, 33 Lambton Quay. Telephone 968. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Parliament Street. Mr. Williams arrived in Wellington in January, 1890. He is a B.A. of Yale University, and took the same degree at the New Zealand University a few months after arrival, and in June of the same year was admitted a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of the Colony. After a few months spent with Messrs. Brown, Skerrett, and Dean in Wellington, he entered upon the practice of his profession on his own account. Mr. Williams is well known as a tenor singer and choir conductor. His musical career is referred to at length elsewhere in the Cyclopedia.
Young, Thomas, Barrister and Solicitor, 9 Featherston Street, Wellington. Telephone 853; P.O. Box 305. Bankers, Union Bank of Australia. Private residence, Brougham Street. Mr. Young was born in Wellington, receiving his education at Wellington College and Thorndon Classical School. He was articled to Messrs. Bell, Gully, and Izard, and was admitted to the bar in 1890. He continued with Messrs. Bell, Gully, and Izard till 1893, when he commenced practice on his own account.