Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Through Ninety Years

Te Aute and Hukarere Schools

Te Aute and Hukarere Schools

The Te Aute and Hukarere Schools of native boys and girls, in the opening of which Archdeacon W. L. Williams and the late Bishop had taken an active personal interest, had both been enlarged and developed since they were first mentioned in these pages.

At Te Aute Mr. John Thornton had succeeded Mr. James Reynolds in 1878, and during his thirty-four years of devoted and able control, a great many boys received a sound Christian education, and the school had maintained a good standard.

At Hukarere after the appointment of Mrs. Turner and her daughter as matron and teacher in September, 1876, the school was enlarged more than once, and was thus enabled to cope with the increased attendance which was forthcoming. Mrs. and Miss Turner resigned at the page 324 end of June, 1881. Their places were taken by Misses Hamilton and Evans, who retired at the end of 1883. They were succeeded by Misses Foster and Minton, and in September, 1885, Miss Foster's place was taken by Miss Shouls. During 1886 Miss A. Downs, who had been one of the school's original pupils, began her work as an assistant teacher. The Hukarere School was carried on under the personal supervision of the Misses Williams, sisters of the Archdeacon, and its work showed satisfactory examination results.

The Government gave an annual grant to each of these schools, and in return for this it had the privilege of nominating a fixed number of pupils, and the schools were visited and examined by the Government Inspectors.