Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Early Wellington

The Institute

The Institute.

The public were now informed that temporary rooms of the Institute were at the store of Mr. Rob. Waitt, where the latest English, Australian and American newspapers and magazines would be found. The subscription was £2 2s. per annum. Mr. G. B. Earp's name was appended to the announcement.

Also at this time a public dinner, to mark the welcome accorded the separation of the Colony from New South Wales, was held at Barrett's Hotel on the 9th April, 1841.

Colonel Wakefield presided. Amongst those present were Messrs. R. Hanson, Geo. Hunter, Rev. Davy, Dr. Evans, Mr. J. P. W. Guyton, Rev. John Macfarlane, Messrs. McDonald. Jas. Smith (Union Bank), Captain Mein-Smith, Messrs. H. St. Hill, G. Duppa, W. Johnston, Major Baker, Major Durie, W. V. Brewer, R. R. Strang, A. de B. Brandon, S. Revans, W. B. Rhodes, Santry, Sinclair, R. Waitt. Ludlam, J. Smyth, Tyser, Hillier, McHattie, Wallace, Brown, and others.

Two days later (the 21st of April, 1841) a very severe gale from the northwest was experienced. No damage occurred to the vessels in the excellent harbour. But the schooner “Jewess,” on her way to Whanganui, full of settlers and goods, was driven away from her anchorage at Kapiti, and totally wrecked on the beach near Pari Pari, after being cast on her beam ends in the attempt to make an offing. Two lives were lost. George Wade, of the two brothers who had been among the earliest to bring cattle and horses from Hobart-Town, and whose energy and perseverance had contributed much to the progress of the settlement in its younger days, was one of those lost. The other was the native chief “Wide-awake!”