Post Office Time Ball Service
Post Office Time Ball Service.
On the 9th March, 1864, a time ball service was instituted. A mast was raised above the Custom House, on which a large black ball was raised daily, half-mast, at ten minutes to 12, mast head at five minutes to 12, and dropped at noon, Wellington mean time. The cost of the astronomical clock ordered in connection with the time-ball, with the other necessary apparatus and fittings, amounted to £941 12s. 7d. (Fig. 108). The first observer was the Rev. Arthur Stock, of St. Peter's Church.
The “Independent,” April 6th, 1865, states: “The time-ball at Wellington is situated in lat. 41 deg. 17.01 S., and long. 170 deg. 49.15 E. It is dropped at noon every day (Sundays excepted) or at 12h. 20m. 43s. past noon at Greenwich of the previous day.