St. John's Presbyterian, 1853.
A magazine, printed May, 1895, by St. John's Young Men's Bible Club, at Mr. G. A. Troup
's house, has some very
Fig. 236.—St. John's original church, Dixon and
Willis Streets, 1853.
Fig. 237.—St. John's Church, 1875.
Corner of Dixon and Willis Streets, destroyed
by fire in 1884.
interesting reading matter in its pages. A few extracts are taken from a copy kindly lent by Mr. Troup to the writer:—“About forty-four years ago, 70 residents of Wellington signed and sent Home to the Free Church of Scotland a requisition for a qualified minister.… . In consequence of this the Rev. J. Moir came out with his family in 1853, and conducted Presbyterian services in the Athenaeum. A church seating 150 was built in Dixon Street. When Mr. Moir
Fig. 238.—Rev. James Paterson, Presbyterian
resigned his charge in 1869, Rev. J. Paterson succeeded him, and the church was, after a time, enlarged. As this proved inadequate, the building shown in the magazine as No. 1 design, drawn by Mr. Troup, was removed in 1875 and another building (No. 2 design), which was destroyed by fire on May 9, 1884, was erected. The present building was designed by Mr. Turnbull, and built by Mr. Jas. Wilson.