Karori Church, 1852
Karori Church, 1852.
The first church services at Karori were held in Mr. Stephen Lancaster's house “Chesneywold.” These were followed by regular services, held in a small hall which stood where the present Council Chambers are. These services were mostly conducted by the Rev. W. Sewel and Bishop Abraham. A newspaper dated 11th August, 1852, reads as follows: “A small church is now in course of erection at Karori, on a commanding site on the left side of the road to Karori” (Dryden's Corner, which site was abandoned). In 1865 the Rev. Thos. Fancourt was appointed for the district, and on the 12th August, 1866, a church was built on a site given by Mr. Justice H. S. Chapman. The present building of St. Mary's was consecrated by the Right Rev. Dr. Sprott, Bishop of the Diocese. (See “Evening Post,” Aug. 28, 1926.)