Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Early Wellington

Arrival of the “Brougham.”

Arrival of the “Brougham.”

Her passengers for the second trip, arriving 9th February, 1842, were Messrs. S. Brees, H. S. Tiffen, A. Whitehead, and Gilbert. She brought out some cattle also for Mr. Thompson. The trip took 92 days.

In going through the French Pass, she had been swept by the violent tide, rushing through the narrow channel, on a shoal not marked on the French charts, which were the only ones yet existing of that part of the coast. At low tide she had been left on the ledge almost on her beam ends, but was got off with but little injury; and reached Nelson in safety.

page 469

She also bumped on a rock in the north entrance of Astrolabe Roads, but, being an old teak built Calcutta pilot vessel, she had received no injury.

On the 5th of May the “Brougham” sailed for London with a full cargo of oil and whalebone, and several passengers. Among these was Captain Chaffers who was independent enough to sign the petition for Captain Hobson's recall. His services as Harbour Master had been declined by the Government, while they refused even to authorise his acting in the pay of the Company, and neglected to appoint an officer in his stead. He was tendered a testimonial signed by seventy of the most respectable of the settlers, and a sum of money to purchase a piece of plate in England. The other passengers were persons like Mr. Petre and Mr. Francis Bradey who went with the intention of returning to take up their final abode in the Colony.

Shipping Lists, 1842–1844. The Port Nicholson shipping list, containing arrivals, etc., at the port from the 2nd of April, 1842, to the 1st of April 1843 (numbered 357 to 632), and 1st May, 1843 to 1844 (numbered 633 to 876) may be seen in the supplement to the “N.Z. Gazette” and “Britannia Spectator,” lodged in the Alexander Turnbull Library.

The Journal of the “Early Settlers” (Vol. 1, No. 3) mentions that the bell of the brigantine “Subraon” was recovered by Sir Win. Fitzherbert and presented to St. James' Church, Lower Hutt. When the new church was built, the bell was placed in the belfry of St. Augustine's Church school room at Petone, and was used since 1913.

H.M.S. Acheron. The “Weekly Press” Diamond Jubilee number (30/5/1928) shows in its pages a sketch of H.M.S. “Acheron” at Port Chalmers in 1848. She brought out the first British settlers for Otago.

1853—“Panama Fleet.” 1854—“Dodo,” Danl. Wakefield; “New Era.” Peter Bell, G. Brown. 1855—“William and Jane,” W. H. Beetham; “Indian Queen.” E. Jackson. 1856—“Zingari” (Johnston & Co., agents), Dr. Dorset. (Miss Dorset, Grant Road, has in her possession a receipt from the purser for £20 for a trip from Wellington to Auckland.) 1857—“Alma,” W. Armstrong-Ross. 1858—“Acasta,” Mr. Seager; “Montgomery,” Wm. Moxham; “Oliver Lang,” J. Chew and H. Belliss.

1859—“Canard,” E. Snelgrove; “Midlothian,” W. Mowbray; “Wild Duck,” Cap. Babot, D'Ath and Lusac. 1862—“Stormbird”; “Asterope,” J. D. Tripe. 1863—Panama, N.Z. and Australian Royal Mail Co. (“Evening Post,” 7/2/1925). 1864–“Mallard,” T. F. Drummond, E. Feist. 1965—For shipping in the Sixties See Mr. Clarence Turner's recollections “Evening Post,” 7th February, 1925); “Tararua,” arrived March, 1865, wrecked on Waipapa Point, April, 1881 (“Evening Post,” 7th February, 1925); “Weymouth,” passengers C. Earle, and P. J. Carman. The “Weymouth” brought the
Fig. 287.—Captain W. R. (affectionately known as Bully) Williams. From the original in the Sailors' Friendly Society's Hall, Stout Street.

Fig. 287.—Captain W. R. (affectionately known as Bully) Williams. From the original in the Sailors' Friendly Society's Hall, Stout Street.

page 470 first cable for Cook Strait. 1867—Anchor Company line of boats (Encyclopaedia, Vol. 1, p. 774); “Electra,” A. M. Moon. 1869—Flying Squadron, “Galatea,” H.M.S—Duke of Edinburgh's visit—“Celaeno,” N. J. H. Blow, Taylor and Watt Line, Catherine Johnston; “Tyne,” Governor Grey, “Edward Stanley,” “Seagull,” “Yarra,” “William.” 1873—N.Z. Shipping Co. (Encyclopaedia N.Z., Vol. 1, p. 776) “Crusader,” W. Thane, “Hindostan,” J. J. Boyd. 1874—“Clipper Ships,” article from the “Blue Peter,” by B. Lubbock (Evening “Post,” 2/3/1927). 1875—Harbour Steam Company, “Hourah,” W. A. Kellow. 1877—“Anne Mellhuish,” Captain Johnson; “Hurunui,” F. de J. Clere; “Ocean Mail,” Sir A. Douglas. 1883—Shaw, Savill and Albion Company (“Cyclopaedia N.Z.,”) Vol. 1, p. 782). Union Steam Ship Co. grew out of the Harbour Steam Co., started by Mr. J. Jones in 1861, with a paddle steamer called the “Golden Age.” Mr. Jas. Mills was made managing director in 1869, and in 1875 the company was merged into the Union Steam Ship Co., of N.Z. Fleet in 1883, consisting of “Rotomahana” (1727 tons), “Wakatipu” (1796). “Te Anau” (1652), “Arawata” (1098), “Ringarooma” (1096), “Rotorua” (926), “Hero” (985), “Albion” (806), “Alhambra,” chartered (766), “Penguin” (749), “Hawea” (720), “Wanaka (493), “Taiaroa” (469), “Waitaki” (412), “Southern Cross” (263), “Maori” (174), “Beautiful Star” (176), “Manapouri” (1900), on way out. The vessels being built this year (1883) were the “Wairarapa” (1900 tons), “Hauroto” (2000), “Omapere” (600), “Mahinapua” (450).

G. Turnbull and Co. owned the “Alexa” (425 tons), and “May” (237 tons); agents for Shaw, Savill and Albion Co., and others. Captain Williams owned the Black Diamond Line, and Colliers, Johnston and Co. owned the “Go Ahead.” Mr. E. Pearce owned the “Aurora” (schooner); Mr. J. Dransfield the “Conference” and “Malay”; Messrs. Levin and Co. owned the “Kiwi,” and were agents for other steamers. Messrs. Waddell, McLeod and Weir owned the “Sarah Pile” (timber vessel). Messrs. Stewart and Co. owned the “Kentish Lass.” The N.Z. Shipping Co. carried on an extensive trade between the port and London. The Anchor Line owned the steamers “Chas. Edward,” “Kennedy,” “Wallace” and “Murray” (Wellington Almanac for 1883).

Tyser Line was established about 1891 (“Cyclopaedia N.Z.,” Vol. 1, p. 790); Huddart Parker Line, 1893, ibid, p. 775; Levin and Co., 1897, ibid, p. 776; Shire Line, 1897, ibid, p. 790; Steam Packet Co., 1897, ibid, p. 795; U.S.S. Co., 1897, ibid, p. 790. The American Fleet visited Wellington in 1925. The “Carinthia,” 1925 (Evening “Post,” 24/12/25).

An article, “Brigs and Schooners,” Wellington's old-time shipping, may be seen in the “Free Lance, 12th August, 1925.

The H.M.S. Hood visited Wellington in 1926, and the oil tanker “Plume” arrived at Miramar Wharf, 26th January, 1927. See “Life on an Oil Tanker,” in “Dominion,” 26/7/1927.