The military protection afforded to the settlers in the Wellington District in 1843 and 1844 consisted of a detachment of 1 captain, 1 subaltern and 53 rank and file of the 96th Regiment, stationed in Wellington. In 1845, reinforcements reached Wellington, completing the strength to 6 officers, 154 rank and file, under the command of Captain A. H. Russell, of H.M. 58th Regmt, In addition to these troops, a body of militia, consisting of 12 officers and 200 men, was called out.
A return of military stations and troops in the Southern Division of New Zealand on the 16th December, 1846, may be found in Grimstone's “Southern Settlements of N.Z.,” p. 86, from which the following extracts are taken for Wellington:—2 field officers, 1 medical staff; Royal artillery, 1 sergeant, 5 rank and file; Royal Engineers, nil; 58th Regmt., 2 officers, 4 sergeants, 64 men; 65th Regmt., 2 men; 99th Regmt., 3 officers, 9 sergeants, 111 men.
Military Staff at Wellington.
Lieutenant-Colonel Wm. Anson McCleverty, D. Quartermaster, General Commanding in N.Z.; Frances R. C. Master, 58th Acting Brigade Major; Wm. F. G. page 429 Servantes, 6th Regmt. Interpreter to the Forces; J. G. Courtenay, surgeon, 8th Dec., 1845; A. G. Montgomery, assistant surgeon, 9th Dec., 1845; G. D. Tardner, Deputy Assistant Commissary General, 1st July, 1840; W. J. Tyronne Power, Deputy Assistant Commissary General, 24th Dec., 1844; J. M. Maclean Sutherland, Deputy Assistant Commissary General, 16th Dec., 1845.
LVIII. Regmt.—Major Chas. A. Arney; Captains J. H. Laye, J. P. Hardy, A. H. Russell, C. Dressing; Lieutenants A. M. L. Hay, H. C. Balneavis, J. McLerie (Adj.), A. Rush, C. St. J. Herbert, G. H. Page, T. Pedder; Ensigns F. R. C. Master, F. D. Middleton, E. O. Barker, and G. H. Wynyard.
LXV. Regmt.—Captains R. O'Connell, R. Newenham, W. Johnston; Lieutenants T. R. McCoy, J. Gordon, H. F. Turner; Ensigns R. B. T. Thelwall, J. Barton; asst. surgeon, T. E. White.
XCVI. Regmt.—Major Hulme; Captains J. Snodgrass, W. A. Eyton; Lieutenants E. Barclay, H. V. Mundell; Ensigns W. F. G. Servantes, C. O. E. Wilmot; asst. surgeon, W. MacAndrew, M.D.
Royal Artillery.—Captain W. Henderson, Brevet-Major H. R. E. Wilmot, Lieut. “Honble” W. C. Yelverton.
Royal Engineers.—Brevet Major W. B. Marlow, Lieutenant T. B. Collinson.
During the disturbance of 1846 there were 1086 Militiamen in the District of Wellington, and from 250 to 300 men were called out for active service. Captains received 8/- per diem; lieutenants, 6/- per diem; ensigns, 5/- per diem (while on duty); adjutants, 8/- per diem. A list of commissioned officers, appointed 1845–46, comprised the following:—Lieutenant-Colonel M. Richmond; Captains Wm. Wakefield, A. E. McDonogh (Adjutant); D. Stark Durie, R. Baker, G. Compton, J. Dorset, Chas. page 430 Clifford; Lieutenants Chas. Sharp, Hugh Ross, R. Park, Jas. Watt, J. Boddington, N. Levin; Ensigns Geo. Hunter, Geo. Moore and Ed. Abbot; Cornet “Hon.” H. W. Petre; Ensigns S. E. Grimstone, Wm. Turnbull, W. B. White, A. Chetham Strode, and Surgeon J. Fitzgerald, M.D. The war services and other particulars of the military and militia officers are recorded in Grimstone's “Southern Settlements,” pp. 85–95, from which the above extracts were taken.
Parties of men were busily occupied at this period, levelling the ground at Mount Cook, intended for the site of military barracks.
The “Cyclopaedia of N.Z.,” Vol. 1, p. 325, contains the names of military and naval officers in 1895, which, from biographical sketches of their lives, general information regarding the dates of former military engagements, etc., in New Zealand may be gathered. Other information may be obtained from “Defenders of N.Z.” The following is extracted from the former work, as under:—
Wellington, as the capital of the Colony, was the headquarters of the Defence Office, which controlled the Militia and volunteer forces of New Zealand. His Excellency the Governor was Commander-in-Chief. The officer in command of the district was Lieut.-Colonel Newall. The Garrison Artillery Branch of the Permanent Militia was controlled by Major W. B. Messenger and Captain Coleman, and Captain J. Falconer was in charge of the Torpedo Corps. There were five corps of volunteers in the city, viz., Artillery, the D Battery, founded 22nd July, 1867; City Rifles, 23rd July, 1867; Guards, 14th July, 1879; Naval Artillery, 24th March, 1879, and one Cavalry Rifle Company—Heretaunga Mounted Rifles—established 1st January, 1885, with His Excellency the Earl of Glasgow, G.C.M.G. (“Gazette,” 5/7/1892) as Honorary Colonel.
The Garrison Band was organised about 1875 and known as the Artillery Band. The first conductor was Mr. R. A. Marshall. Its name was successively changed to the City Rifles Band, Naval Brigade Band (conducted by Mr. S. Cimino, who was succeeded by Mr. C. D. Mackintosh). It was then reorganised as a Garrison Band. Mr. Herd (Captain) was appointed bandmaster in 1890.page 431
Fig. 266.—Major Charles Heaphy, draughtsman and Artist to the N.Z. Company. First winner of the N.Z. Victoria Cross.
Fig. 269.—Presented to Lieut.-Colonel Pearce by the members of the “D” Battery, N.Z. Artillery Volunteers, who served in the Corps when under his command 1869–1877, Wellington, N.Z. March, 1899. Top row: Two six-pounder Armstrong guns. 1 Dr. Boor; 2 Dr. Collins; 3 Dr. France; 4 Gunners Kollis; 5 M. Kilgour; 6 Redward; 7 L. Reid; 8 Corpl. Bidwill; 9 Gunners Batkin; 10 Waite; 11 Knigge; 12 G. Clarke; 13 Ven. Archdeacon Stock; 14 Bandsman Rash; 15 Gunners W. A. Waters; 16 Reading; 17 Sergeants Brogan; 18 Mason; 19 Serg.-Major W. R. Bock; 20 Robinson; 21 A.R.M. Signaller Christie; 22 Q.M.S. Robinson; 23 Lieuts. Lyon; 24 Fox; 25 T. W. Pilcher; 26 Lieut.-Col. Pearce; 27 Major McCredie; 28 Lieuts. McTavish; 29 Amelius Smith; 30 Corporals Blundell; 31 E. G. Pilcher; 32 Kane; 33 Instructor Mouatt; 34 Corpora's Diamond; 35 Chatfield; 36 Wills; 37 Gunner Dransfield; 38 Bombardier Lyon; 39 Corporal Turner; 40 Bombr. Wills; 41 Gunner Humphries; 42 Corpl. Ludwig; 43 Gunner O'Connor; 44 Bandsman Dixon; 45 Trumpeter McClelland; 46 Bandsman Marshall; 47 Gunners Brown; 48 Raven; 49 E. Hutchings.
Fig. 270.—Wellington Artillery Volunteers in the 'Sixties, prior to the formation of the “D” Battery. Names from left to right are: Lieut. Eustace de Bathe Brandon, Sergt.-Major H. M. Lyon, Lieut. T. W. Pilcher and Drill Instructor Corliss, late 65th Regmt. (sitting). (Reproduced from an old photo.)