The “Cyclopaedia of N.Z.,” Vol. 1, p. 325, contains the names of military and naval officers in 1895, which, from biographical sketches of their lives, general information regarding the dates of former military engagements, etc., in New Zealand may be gathered. Other information may be obtained from “Defenders of N.Z.” The following is extracted from the former work, as under:—
Wellington, as the capital of the Colony, was the headquarters of the Defence Office, which controlled the Militia and volunteer forces of New Zealand. His Excellency the Governor was Commander-in-Chief. The officer in command of the district was Lieut.-Colonel Newall. The Garrison Artillery Branch of the Permanent Militia was controlled by Major W. B. Messenger and Captain Coleman, and Captain J. Falconer was in charge of the Torpedo Corps. There were five corps of volunteers in the city, viz., Artillery, the D Battery, founded 22nd July, 1867; City Rifles, 23rd July, 1867; Guards, 14th July, 1879; Naval Artillery, 24th March, 1879, and one Cavalry Rifle Company—Heretaunga Mounted Rifles—established 1st January, 1885, with His Excellency the Earl of Glasgow, G.C.M.G. (“Gazette,” 5/7/1892) as Honorary Colonel.
The Garrison Band was organised about 1875 and known as the Artillery Band. The first conductor was Mr. R. A. Marshall. Its name was successively changed to the City Rifles Band, Naval Brigade Band (conducted by Mr. S. Cimino, who was succeeded by Mr. C. D. Mackintosh). It was then reorganised as a Garrison Band. Mr. Herd (Captain) was appointed bandmaster in 1890.page 431
Fig. 266.—Major Charles Heaphy, draughtsman and Artist to the N.Z. Company. First winner of the N.Z. Victoria Cross.
Fig. 269.—Presented to Lieut.-Colonel Pearce by the members of the “D” Battery, N.Z. Artillery Volunteers, who served in the Corps when under his command 1869–1877, Wellington, N.Z. March, 1899. Top row: Two six-pounder Armstrong guns. 1 Dr. Boor; 2 Dr. Collins; 3 Dr. France; 4 Gunners Kollis; 5 M. Kilgour; 6 Redward; 7 L. Reid; 8 Corpl. Bidwill; 9 Gunners Batkin; 10 Waite; 11 Knigge; 12 G. Clarke; 13 Ven. Archdeacon Stock; 14 Bandsman Rash; 15 Gunners W. A. Waters; 16 Reading; 17 Sergeants Brogan; 18 Mason; 19 Serg.-Major W. R. Bock; 20 Robinson; 21 A.R.M. Signaller Christie; 22 Q.M.S. Robinson; 23 Lieuts. Lyon; 24 Fox; 25 T. W. Pilcher; 26 Lieut.-Col. Pearce; 27 Major McCredie; 28 Lieuts. McTavish; 29 Amelius Smith; 30 Corporals Blundell; 31 E. G. Pilcher; 32 Kane; 33 Instructor Mouatt; 34 Corpora's Diamond; 35 Chatfield; 36 Wills; 37 Gunner Dransfield; 38 Bombardier Lyon; 39 Corporal Turner; 40 Bombr. Wills; 41 Gunner Humphries; 42 Corpl. Ludwig; 43 Gunner O'Connor; 44 Bandsman Dixon; 45 Trumpeter McClelland; 46 Bandsman Marshall; 47 Gunners Brown; 48 Raven; 49 E. Hutchings.
Fig. 270.—Wellington Artillery Volunteers in the 'Sixties, prior to the formation of the “D” Battery. Names from left to right are: Lieut. Eustace de Bathe Brandon, Sergt.-Major H. M. Lyon, Lieut. T. W. Pilcher and Drill Instructor Corliss, late 65th Regmt. (sitting). (Reproduced from an old photo.)