Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Early Wellington

Part III. PART III. Biographical Sketches

page break

Part III. page 331 PART III. Biographical Sketches

The source from whence the information for the following sketches was extracted, and where additional information may be obtained, is given in parenthesis under each item.

The reader is referred to “Men of Mark of New Zealand,” by Alfred Cox, 1886; “New Zealand Rulers and Statesmen, Vol. 1 (1840–1885) and Vol. 2 (1840–1897) by William Gisborne; “The Dictionary of Australasian Biography (1885–1892), by Philip Mennell, F.R.G.S., 1892; “Cyclopedia of New Zealand,” Vol. 1, Cyclopedia Co., Ltd., 1897; “Builders of Greater Britain,” by R. Garnet, C.B., LL.D., 1898; and “Who's Who in New Zealand,” by Dr. G. H. Scholefield, 1924.

A glance at the general index will indicate the pages wherein are references to the names of pioneers who are not mentioned in the biographical sketches.

Abraham, Right Rev. Charles John, was born at Sandhurst in 1815, educated at Eton and Cambridge, and after a time spent as Fellow of his College, he went back to Eton for some years as a master. He came to New Zealand in 1850 to join his life-long friend Bishop Selwyn, and under him was the head of St. John's College, in Auckland. He was made Archdeacon of Waitemata, and in 1850 married Miss C. H. Palmer, daughter of Sir Charles Palmer, Bart., and a cousin to the wife of Bishop Selwyn. In 1856 he accompanied Bishop Selwyn in a walking tour from Auckland to Taranaki. They left the college at 5 p.m. on a rainy evening, July 31st, and, notwithstanding the protests of some one who met them on the way and who persisted in alighting from his horse and jumping into the swamp, they completed the journey on foot, trudging through mud up to the knees, and arriving at their first stopping place at 9.30 p.m. An account of the journey was written by Bishop Abraham, in a pamphlet which is in the Turnbull Library. He was consecrated the first Bishop of Wellington in England in 1858.
Fig. 184.—Bishop Abraham. Consecrated Bishop of Wellington in 1858. Photo by courtesy Right Rev. Bishop Sprott.

Fig. 184.—Bishop Abraham. Consecrated Bishop of Wellington in 1858. Photo by courtesy Right Rev. Bishop Sprott.

page 332 His successor, Bishop Hadfield, who was on a visit to England in 1858, acted as the bishop's chaplain. Bishop Hobhouse was consecrated Bishop of Nelson at the same time. Bishop Abraham arrived in Wellington in 1859, when the general Synod was in session, and resigned in 1870, to join Bishop Selwyn as Suffragan Bishop at Lichfield. He died on Feb. 3rd, 1903. He was a man of great personality, and had a considerable “mana” with the natives. When his nephew, Mr. R. S. Abraham arrived in New Zealand some fifty-three years ago, an old native woman at Mercer accosted him as “Aperhama,” and insisted on rubbing noses, owing to a strong resemblance to his uncle. The late bishop's son (Bishop Abraham) is living in England, and recenly wrote some very interesting memoirs of his father, which are now in the possession of Mr. R. S. Abraham, Palmerston North (Fig. 184). (Dictionary of Australasian Biography, p. 3, and Cox's Men of Mark.).

Allom, T., whose bird's-eye view of Port Nicholson in 1840 (Fig. 12) appears in Chapter II. of this work, was an artist employed by the New Zealand Company. He exhibited some architectural designs at the Royal Academy, London, in 1848, and received the following encomium from the London Press:—“Not a few of our New Zealand friends, to whom Mr. Allom is well-known,” commented the “N.Z. Journal” of 3rd June, 1848, “not more by the exquisite illustrations of New Zealand, which he formerly produced, than from the constant exertions of himself and his family to promote the interests of N.Z. colonisation, will derive pleasure from the perusal of the high opinion expressed regarding his architectural works in the Press.”

Andersen, Johannes Carl, F.N.Z. Inst., a foundation member of the Geographic Board, 1924; librarian, Alexander Turnbull Library, etc.; for further information see “Who's Who in N.Z.,” p. 4. (Fig. 307.)

Barraud, Chas. Decimus. arr. ship “Pilgrim,” 1849. First president Pharmacy Board, and president N.Z.A. Fine
Fig. 185.—C. D. Barraud, Esq. Photo by courtesy Sir F. R. Chapman.

Fig. 185.—C. D. Barraud, Esq. Photo by courtesy Sir F. R. Chapman.

Arts 1895, compiler of “N.Z. Graphic and Descriptions” 1877. (See Fig. 185.) (Cyclopedia N.Z., Vol. 1, p. 361.)

Barrett, Richard.—“How can I make you acquainted, for instance,” writes Mr. Partridge, “with Dicky Barrett, who looks as if he had approached the shape of a small calf whale, from long residence among them. He has been in New Zealand for 12 years. Has been a whaler, has a cutter of his own, and a dozen whaleboats; is a great man among the natives, who adore him, and is respected even by drunken whalers. He has befriended many a white man in his districts, and has got the largest heart of any man I know in New Zealand. His house is always full of castaway sailors and fat-bellied Maoris who are snuffling the grateful smell from his great iron pot. page 333 I cannot describe Dicky Barrett to you. He has bought Dr. Evans's large house and is going to keep an hotel.”—(Letter from . W. Partridge to H. S. Chapman, Esq., N.Z. Journal, 1850, p. 293.)

Bell, Hon. Sir Francis Dillon, K.C.M.G.C.B. Sometime Agent-General for New Zealand. Born Oct. 8, 1822; educated in France. In 1839 he entered the service of the N.Z. Co., and for a time was assistant secretary and afterwards secretary in London. Legislative Councillor, N.Z. 1848, Com. Crown Lands 1851, Provincial Council 1853, Col. Treasurer 1856, Knight Bachelor, 1873, Agent-General 1881–1891, created K.C.M.G. 1881, C.B. 1886, returned to N.Z. 1891, but left again for England in 1892, where Lady Bell died, June 12th, 1892. (Fig. 243.) (Dict. of Australian Biography, p. 33.)

Bell, Right Hon. Sir Francis Henry Dillon, P.C., C.G.M.G., son of the above, was born in Nelson in 1851. Mayor of Wellington 1891–2 and 1897, M.H.R. 1893–6, Legislative Council 1912, Attorney-General 1918, Minister of External Affairs 1923. (Fig. 243.)

(For further particulars see “Who's Who in N.Z.,” p. 19.)

Best, Elsdon, F.N.Z.I., Maori Historian and Ethnologist; born 1856. Author of numerous contributions to Maori history and Maori folk lore. A foundation member of the Geographic Board, 1924.) (Fig. 307.) (“Who's Who in N.Z.”)

Bethune, Kenneth, arrived in the survey ship “Cuba” in 1840. Partner with Mr. George Hunter in establishing one of the oldest stock and station agencies in the colony. They were established at Lambton Quay in 1840, and in 1844 re-
Fig. 186.—J. H. Bethune, Esq. By courtesy Mr. W. E. Bethune

Fig. 186.—J. H. Bethune, Esq. By courtesy Mr. W. E. Bethune

to Old Customhouse Street, and in conjunction with their other business, were agents for Lloyds.

The old building, still in excellent preservation, and reminiscent of public meetings and business chatter, is the oldest building of its kind left in the business area, and a peep into a back room, with its walls lined with shelves stocked with Lloyds Registers, valuable maps and books dealing with events in the Victorian era, reveals a library in itself that would gladden the heart of any antiquarian.—It is worthy of a permanent fire proof building.

Bezar, Edwin (Sergeant-Major), was born in England 1838, was married in 1866 to Mary A., daughter of Sergt. T. Kearns, 65th Regiment; he joined the 1st Wiltshires, 1855; was transferred in March, 1856, to the 57th Regiment (Die-Hards); saw active service at the Crimea, Malta, Aden, etc.; landed in N.Z., 1861; participated in the Maori Wars. On 25th May, 1863, he captured Hori Teira, the first prisoner sentenced to death, but released four years later. Was present at the first attack on Katikara, June 4th, and capture of Kaitake, March 25th, 1864. Commanded the advance guard from New Plymouth to relieve Captain Lloyds page 334
Fig. 187.—J. J. Taine, Esq. Arrived by the ship “Adelaide,” 1840. By courtesy Mr. H. E. Taine. (See page 359.)

Fig. 187.—J. J. Taine, Esq. Arrived by the ship “Adelaide,” 1840. By courtesy Mr. H. E. Taine. (See page 359.)

Fig. 188.—George Hunter, Esq., M.L.C., 1853. (Father of Sir George Hunter, M.P.) By courtesy Chamber of Commerce. (See page 349.)

Fig. 188.—George Hunter, Esq., M.L.C., 1853. (Father of Sir George Hunter, M.P.) By courtesy Chamber of Commerce. (See page 349.)

Fig. 189.—J. E. Fitzgerald, Esq., C.M.G. From a water colour cartoon by Cousins, by arrangement with Mr. J. Hatfield. By courtesy “Weekly Press, 1900. (See page 346.)

Fig. 189.—J. E. Fitzgerald, Esq., C.M.G. From a water colour cartoon by Cousins, by arrangement with Mr. J. Hatfield. By courtesy “Weekly Press, 1900. (See page 346.)

Fig. 190.—Robert Hunter, Esq. Youngest son of the 1st Mayor of Wellington. By courtesy Mr. R. H. Hunter. (See page 349.)

Fig. 190.—Robert Hunter, Esq. Youngest son of the 1st Mayor of Wellington. By courtesy Mr. R. H. Hunter. (See page 349.)

Fig. 191.—James Wallace. A director of the Wellington-Manawatu Railway Company in the eighties. By Courtesy Mrs. James Wallace. (See page 361.)

Fig. 191.—James Wallace. A director of the Wellington-Manawatu Railway Company in the eighties. By Courtesy Mrs. James Wallace. (See page 361.)

Fig. 192.—Charles Ward, Esq. (arrived 1841). From a photo in the writer's possession. (See page 362.)

Fig. 192.—Charles Ward, Esq. (arrived 1841). From a photo in the writer's possession. (See page 362.)

page 335 party, Kakaramea, 1865 (an account of which appears in Cowan's N.Z. Wars, pp. 492, 493). Was at Atapapa 1866, etc. Sergeant-Major, Whanganui District, 1868; organised first School Cadets; invented system of target musketry; organised first Maori Rifle Corps (volunteers); transferred to Wairarapa, 1880; Dunedin, 1891; resigned, 1892, and took up his residence in Wellington.

The writer, in a recent conversation with Mr. Bezar, who, despite his 90 years, has a good memory and has retained much of his vigour, elicited the following information from him :—

“The capture of Hori Teira occurred on the 25th May, 1863, after a party of ambushed Maoris had butchered nine out of a party of ten of the 57th Regiment three weeks before, and which caused the second war.

“I was always anxious to meet Hori, and after waiting for 45 years, I succeeded in meeting him in Molesworth Street, in this city, in 1908. I was pleased to meet him, as there was a certain mystery hanging over the terrible tragedy, which I was anxious to clear up, as we did not credit the statement made by the
Fig. 193.—Francis Bradey, Esq. Royal Artillery, 1812. Arrived 1840—died 1872. From a photo in the writer's possession (See page 337.)

Fig. 193.—Francis Bradey, Esq. Royal Artillery, 1812. Arrived 1840—died 1872. From a photo in the writer's possession (See page 337.)

man who escaped. We had never heard before that it was the Governor, Sir George Grey, and General Cameron, that they intended to ambush, but, fortunately for them, they did not go out to St. George's redoubt that day as the Maoris expected, but the party of ten from there left for New Plymouth, and they opened out on them. The General had been at St. George's redoubt a week before, and Hori was there with a bad hand. The General told Hori to go to Dr. Hope and get his hand attended to, and said: ‘Tell him I sent you.’ When the doctor was dressing the hand he remarked to Hori, ‘Surely you people are not going to fight, are you? Hori replied, ‘Yes, I think so.’ ‘It is very foolish of you,’ the doctor said. When all were down, and the Maoris rushed out to loot the bodies, Hori saw Dr. Hope's lifeless body on the beach, and then regretted having taken any part in the great tragedy.”
“The command of the advance guard referred to above was a ‘Forlorn Hope,’ for after our forced march of over a dozen miles, and reaching the party, which consisted of those who escaped, and Colonel Warre and a few others who had ridden
Fig. 194.—James Richardson, Esq. arrived 1841. By courtesy Mr. H. H. Richardson, Marton. (See page 357.)

Fig. 194.—James Richardson, Esq. arrived 1841. By courtesy Mr. H. H. Richardson, Marton. (See page 357.)

page 336 out from New Plymouth, I halted the party, and Colonel Warre said:

“Move on, Sergeant, but look out———”

“I never felt more sure than I did then that I was up against something warm, it would have been unwise to send forward a larger force, for the Maoris could have given them a very warm reception, and be quite safe themselves. I was pleased to see that they kept quiet—possibly they were quite satisfied with what they had already done. As we reached the scene of the disaster the first horror was the headless body of poor Lloyd, the others more or less knocked about. Poor Lloyds head was taken round the colony. Eventually it was recovered by Mr. C. Broughton and placed with the body in the cemetery at New Plymouth.”

James Cowan, in his New Zealand Wars, pp. 15–29, mentions that “some of the heads were sent from tribe to tribe to enlist Hauhau recruits, as in the Highlands of Scotland, the Fiery Cross was sent from clan to clan.

“One of the heads was recovered in 1865, it was sent to Taranaki and mistakenly buried as Captain Lloyd's. Lloyd's head was passed round from hand to hand in the ‘Pai-marire’ ceremonies at the foot of the ‘Niu.’ It was described as that of a fair whiskered man with shaven chin, in the fashion of those days. The head had been thoroughly dried in the ‘Moko-mokai’ or ‘Pakipaki-upoko’ process. Its bearer was Matene, a tall man with long hair and flowing black beard.” (Cowan, Vol. II., p. 30.)

The 57th Regiment, First Middlesex, (the famous “Die-Hards,”) of Albuera glory (1811), under Major Logan, who was followed by Colonel (afterwards General) Sir H. J. Warre, arrived from Bombay in the ships “Star Queen” and “Castilian.” They proved highly competent in frontier warfare, and in after years they were called upon for a great deal of hard fighting under General Chute. They shared, in fact, with the veteran 65th the toil and the honours of the most arduous service in the campaign undertaken by the Imperial regiments.

Mr. Bezar informed the writer that Mrs. Bezar, who was born on the 15th Nov. 1846, on the ship “Java,” as she sailed into Auckland harbour, held the distinction of being the first white child in the Porirua district. Her father (Sergeant Kearns, of the 5th Regiment) was stationed there with a party of the regiment.
Fig. 195.—Sergeant-Major Bezar and Mrs. Bezar, 1866. By courtesy Sergt.-Major E. Bezar

Fig. 195.—Sergeant-Major Bezar and Mrs. Bezar, 1866. By courtesy Sergt.-Major E. Bezar

When she was a plump two-year-old, the Maoris thought to steal her, for what purpose can easily be guessed. This reached the ears of the officer commanding, and he sent mother and child under proper escort to Wellington for safety.

Some years ago, when Sir George Grey was a member of the House, in conversation in his room at the House, the incident was referred to, and he well remembered the circumstance.

Mrs. Bezar was the mother of thirteen—seven sons and six daughters. There are five sons and four daughters living; page 337 three daughters in this city. She died, 19th May, 1907.

The photograph (Fig. 262) was taken in 1866, the year of Mr. and Mrs. Bezar's marriage.

Referring to photography. Mr. Bezar states: “I believe I am the only one in this city, and probably in the Dominion, who knew the man who produced the first photo in England—“Fox Talbot”—of Lacock Abbey, England. Fox died in 1877.”

Bradey, Francis, born 1793; son of Franciscus Elezious Bradey, who married Martha Hinks, of Staffordshire. Francis was the grandson of a former Chancellor of Ireland. He joined the Royal Artillery in 1812, and obtained his discharge in 1819. Arrived in the ship “Adelaide,” 1840. Original purchaser of sections on Lambton Quay, Adelaide Road and country land at Pahautanui (Pauatahanui). He and his wife were buried on a hill above his homestead, on his Duck Creek run at Pauatahanui. The property has been since subdivided, and is owned by the Bradey Bros. (See Fig. 193.)

Brandon, Alfred de Bathe, born 1810, arrived by the “London,” 1840. Was Provincial Councillor for Porirua district, and Provincial Solicitor, 1853; M.H.R., 1876–1881. (Fig. 249.) (Cyclopaedia N.Z., Vol. 1, p. 257.)

Brees, Samuel C., the second Surveyor-General to the N.Z. Company, arrived with a suite of “young gentlemen” engaged by the company for three years as surveying cadets. During the period that Mr. Brees was professionally engaged in New Zealand, and residing in Hawkestone Street, Wellington, he had numerous opportunities of witnessing the trials and difficulties of the colonists, and in some measure of participating in their hopes. His books of sketches, some of which were obtained under trying circumstances and up to his waist in water, sometimes after a strenuous day's work, have been a constant delight and a most valuable acquisition to the works of art presented to the beholder, and delineating the appearance of the colony before the age of photography.

Many of these sketches. The Survey Camp (Fig. 303), The Hutt, views of Wellington, etc., have been reproduced, by courtesy of Mr. R. H. Hunter, in the earliest chapters of this work.

He left New Zealand with reluctance, charmed with the country and climate, but grieved that this favourable field for the enterprising colonist and refuge for the industrious emigrant, should have failed in its early stage in commanding the consideration that was expected.

So many conflicting accounts of the country—more especially Port Nicholson—the heart of the Islands, having appeared, he regarded it in the light of a duty to lay the results of his experience before the public, together with his sketches of the country, which could be depended upon as faithful representations, and trusted to convey a correct idea, although slight, of the general character of New Zealand, and that his labour and expense would not be in vain.

He deemed that it would be a great satisfaction should his humble efforts be of any service to the colonists, or assist in clearing up some of the doubts and difficulties connected with the colony.

Mr. Brees, in the preface to his book of illustrations, acknowledges his obligations to the Court of the N.Z. Company for access to their official maps, and his best thanks to Mr. H. Melville, the en- page 338 graver, and to Mr. H. Sydney Melville, daughtsman [sic: draughtsman] of H.M.S. “Fly,” for their able assistance.

In his introductory remarks he states that the comparative failure of the N.Z. Company is to be attributed purely to its want of power. “Experience has clearly shown,” he writes, “that the offices and obligations originally undertaken by it were not capable of being fulfilled without the Government first delegating due authority to the company, conditionally and for a certain period.” And concludes with a prophecy, “that New Zealand, from its position, must ultimately become a great country, there can be no doubt, and the seat of numerous manufactories; being possessed of a vast amount of water power with a climate admirably adapted for the English constitution. The hills will soon be covered with sheep and cattle, and the valleys occupied by agricultural farms.”

An account of Mr. Brees' exhibition was published in the “Brighton Guardian,” Nov. 28th, 1949, and copied in the “N.Z. Journal,” 29th Dec. 1849. Following is an extract:—

“A panorama of New Zealand was opened at the Town Hall, November 27, 1849, by Mr. Brees, formerly the principal engineer and surveyor of the N.Z. Company. It comprised a large well-painted panorama devoted principally to Port Nicholson, the town of Wellington, and the Hutt district. It gave accurate views of the localities in that neighbourhood, the beauties of the country, the principal buildings, illustrating the way of life among the colonists, manners and superstitions of the natives, etc.”

The Panorama was also exhibited at No. 6, Leicester Square.

Mr. Brees offices were at 43 Lincoln's Inn Fields, London.

Buller, Rev. James, born in Cornwall, 1812, left England for New Zealand in 1835. In 1839 he was instructed by the Wesleyan Church Missionary Society to proceed to Port Nicholson, which involved a pedestrian expedition from Auckland of about 500 miles. There were no roads, rivers were unbridged, and native tracks often overgrown with bush undergrowth. On his arrival, in 1840, he
Fig. 196.—Rev. James Buller, arrived in N.Z. 1835. Author of “Forty Years in New Zealand.” Walked from Auckland to Wellington in 1840. By courtesy Mr. W. J. Helyer]

Fig. 196.—Rev. James Buller, arrived in N.Z. 1835. Author of “Forty Years in New Zealand.” Walked from Auckland to Wellington in 1840. By courtesy Mr. W. J. Helyer]

preached to about 180 newcomers on board the “Aurora.” Further references are made on another page, and on p. 89, “History of Methodism.” He wrote a book entitled “Forty Years in New Zealand,” was stationed at Wellington for five years, and died in the neighbourhood of Christchurch in 1884. (Fig. 196.)
page 339

Buller, Sir Walter Lawry, C.M.G., R.R.S., son of the above, was born at Newark, Bay of Islands, in 1838. He was promoter and editor of “Te Manuhiri Tuarangi” or “Maori Intelligence.” In 1866 he succeeded Major Durie as Resident Magistrate and Sheriff of the Whanganui district, and in 1871 was secretary to the Agent-General in England. Wrote “A History of the Birds of New Zealand.” Created C.M.G. in 1875. (Cox's “Men of Mark,” p. 34.)

Bumby, Rev. J. H., who arrived at Wellington in 1839, is referred to in “Early Church History” on another page. Further particulars may be obtained in Morley's “History of Methodism,” p. 78, etc. (Fig. 228.)

Chapman, Mr. Justice Henry Samuel (Hapimane), was born in Surrey in 1803, educated in Kent, and entered the service of Esdaile's Bank. At the age of 20 he migrated to Canada and founded and edited the “Daily Advertiser,” the first daily paper published in the Dominion. He also established the “Courier” and the “Weekly Abstract,” was delegate of the Canadian House of Assembly, 1834, to advocate the granting of representative Government to Canada. In England was intimate friend of Cobden and John Stuart Mill, and assisted them alike on the platform and with his pen. He became keenly interested in Edward Gibbon Wakefield's scheme for the colonisation of New Zealand, and wrote a special article on the colony in the seventh edition of the “Encyclopedia Britannica.” In 1840 he was admitted to the bar, and on the 8th Feb., 1840, edited and published the “New Zealand Journal.” In this monumental and historical work he was ably assisted by his young bride. He came out to New Zealand, and was a Judge of the Supreme Court in 1843 to 1851. Appointed Colonial Secretary, Tasmania. Resigned and returned to England, and in 1854 went to Melbourne and was one of the counsel who voluntarily defended the Eureka Stockade rioters. In 1855 was made Attorney-General in the O'Shanassy Ministry, and representative for South Melbourne in the Legislative Council. In 1862 he retired from politics and was appointed puisne judge of the Supreme Court in New Zealand; retired in 1875 and was elected Chancellor of the Otago University. He died in 1881, aged 78 years. His wife (Fig. 197) and all his children, except two sons, were lost in the ill-fated steamship “London,” in the Bay of Biscay, 1866. His second wife was a sister-in-law of Mr. R. D. Ireland, the celebrated barrister. (Cox's “Men of Mark,” p. 42, of “Evening Post,” 31/10/1925.)

The “Australasian and N.Z. Gazette,” Nov. 1852, contains a report from which the following extract is given, regarding Mr. Justice Chapman:—

“The Hon. the Colonial Secretary of Van Dieman's Land, with his lady and family, left Wellington on Saturday in the “Mumford” for Hobart Town. There never was a public man in the colony who so much deserved and received the esteem of the settlers generally than our late judge. His latent impartiality and discretion were in every way worthy of the position he filled. An address was presented to him by the members of the Mechanics Institute, which, coming from a literary body, with which party politics are not allowed to enter, must have been very gratifying to him. The address, dated March 12th, 1852, was signed by 107 members of the Institute. His Honour's reply was addressed to Messrs. page 340
Fig. 197.—Mrs. H. S. Chapman. By courtesy Sir F. R. Chapman] (See p. 339.)

Fig. 197.—Mrs. H. S. Chapman. By courtesy Sir F. R. Chapman] (See p. 339.)

Fig. 198.—Mrs. James Wallace (nee Wild.) Widow of late James Wallace, Esq. Mrs. Wallace lives (1929) in Austin Street. By courtesy Mrs. J. Wallace] (See p. 361.)

Fig. 198.—Mrs. James Wallace (nee Wild.) Widow of late James Wallace, Esq. Mrs. Wallace lives (1929) in Austin Street. By courtesy Mrs. J. Wallace] (See p. 361.)

Fig. 199.—Miss Lilian Wakefield, daughter of E. J. Wakefield, Esq., and granddaughter of E. G. Wakefield, Esq. Miss Wakefield lives (1929) in Bealy Avenue, Christchurch, N.Z. By courtesy Miss L. Wakefield]

Fig. 199.—Miss Lilian Wakefield, daughter of E. J. Wakefield, Esq., and granddaughter of E. G. Wakefield, Esq. Miss Wakefield lives (1929) in Bealy Avenue, Christchurch, N.Z. By courtesy Miss L. Wakefield]

Fig. 200.—Mrs. R. C. Hamerton (nee Parris), daughter of Commr. Parris. Arrived in the “Blenheim” in 1842. Mrs. Hamerton, now in her 90th year (1929), lives at 26 Central Terrace, Kelburn. By courtesy Mrs. Hamerton] (See p. 348.)

Fig. 200.—Mrs. R. C. Hamerton (nee Parris), daughter of Commr. Parris. Arrived in the “Blenheim” in 1842. Mrs. Hamerton, now in her 90th year (1929), lives at 26 Central Terrace, Kelburn. By courtesy Mrs. Hamerton] (See p. 348.)

Fig. 201.—Mrs. Collins (néc Northwood), who lived in the old Ministerial Residence, Tinakori Road in the early days. Photo by courtesy Miss A. Dorset.]

Fig. 201.—Mrs. Collins (néc Northwood), who lived in the old Ministerial Residence, Tinakori Road in the early days. Photo by courtesy Miss A. Dorset.]

Fig. 202.—Children's dress of the sixties. From a photo in the writer's possession.] (Figs. 197, 198 and 200 reproduced from coloured daguerreotypes.)

Fig. 202.—Children's dress of the sixties. From a photo in the writer's possession.] (Figs. 197, 198 and 200 reproduced from coloured daguerreotypes.)

page 341
Fig. 203.—Mrs. M. A. Williams, who donated funds for the Sailors' Rest Home, Y.M.C.A., etc. By courtesy Sailors' Friendly Society] (See Part IV., S.F. Soc.)

Fig. 203.—Mrs. M. A. Williams, who donated funds for the Sailors' Rest Home, Y.M.C.A., etc. By courtesy Sailors' Friendly Society] (See Part IV., S.F. Soc.)

Fig. 204.—The widow of Captain J. Marks, and mother of the late Mrs. J. Pinfold, Karori. By courtesy Dr. Pinfold] (See p. 355.)

Fig. 204.—The widow of Captain J. Marks, and mother of the late Mrs. J. Pinfold, Karori. By courtesy Dr. Pinfold] (See p. 355.)

Fig. 205.—Mrs. Cornford, nee Shotter, who is (1929) in her 99th year, and oldest member of the Early Settlers' Association. Photo by courtesy Mrs. Cornford.] (See Early Settlers, Part IV.)

Fig. 205.—Mrs. Cornford, nee Shotter, who is (1929) in her 99th year, and oldest member of the Early Settlers' Association. Photo by courtesy Mrs. Cornford.] (See Early Settlers, Part IV.)

R. J. Duncan, W. Seed, J. King, J. McBeth, G. Allen, F. D. Bell, R. Lambert, C. Clifford, J.P., and the rest of the members. (Fig. 253.)

Chapman, Martin, was born at Karori in 1846, and was the third son of Mr. Justice H. S. Chapman. He was called to the Bar of the Inner Temple in 1871. Returned to New Zealand, 1875; became editor N.Z. Law Reports, and secretary Law Procedure Committee, etc., 1882. (Fig. 258.) (Cyclopaedia of N.Z., Vol. I., p. 302.)

Chapman (Hon.) Sir Frederick Revans, K.B., was born at Karori, 1849, and was the fifth son of Mr. Justice H. S. Chapman. Called to the Bar, 1871, he was Supreme Court Judge for many years. Is author of various publications; retired 1924. Is a foundation member of the N.Z. Geographic Board, and its first chairman, 1924. (Fig. 307.) (“Who's Who in N.Z.” p. 41, and Hocken's N.Z. Works.)

Clifford, Sir Chas., Bart., K.C.M.G., was born in 1813; arrived Wellington, 1843. First Speaker, House of Representatives, 1854; Knight Bachelor, 1858, and Baronet of Flaxbourne, Marlborough, 1887. (Fig. 249.) (Cyclopaedia of N.Z., Vol. I., p. 112.)

Crawford, James Coutts, M.L.C., son of Captain J. C. Crawford, R.N., who married the daughter of Admiral John Inglis. Mr. Crawford joined H.M.S. “Prince Regent,” and saw service in Spanish waters and South America; Sub-Lieutenant, 1837. Visited New Zealand, 1838, and arrived at Pito-one, 1839 from Kapiti, just after the “Tory” had left for Port Hardy, and apparently was our first page 342 settler. He found at Pito-one one named Robinson, and a man named Smith, whom Colonel Wakefield had located to look after the N.Z. Company's interests.

Mr. Crawford's temporary camp in 1840 adjoined Mr. Moreing's tent, near the Wakefield's temporary quarters. He took a very active part in the early affairs of the settlement; was a member of the Wakefield Club, 1/10/1840; a promoter of the first Cattle Company in New Zealand, 8/12/40; convenor of the first flax preparation meeting, 4/1/1841. Gave evidence with regard to the sale of Wellington
Fig. 206.—J. C. Crawford, Esq. (Lieut. H.M.S. “Prince Regent.” Arrived 1839). By courtesy Mr. A. D. Crawford]

Fig. 206.—J. C. Crawford, Esq. (Lieut. H.M.S. “Prince Regent.” Arrived 1839). By courtesy Mr. A. D. Crawford]

lington, Dec. 1841 (“N.Z. Journal,” 18/1/1845). Resident in Dr. Evans's house on Golders Hill during the absence of Dr. Evans in England, 1846. Seconder of the resolution with reference to Governor Hobson's recall, 15/2/1841. One of the first Justices of the Peace, 1863. Was a member of the Geological Society of Edinburgh and Imperial and R.G. Society of Vienna, member of Legislative Council. President Wellington Philosophical Institute, and Governor of N.Z. Institute. Married a daughter of Admiral Dundas, and some time after her demise he married a daughter of Alexander McBarnett. Esq., Torridon, Scotland. Was author of “Recollections of Travels in New Zealand and Australia.” Died. April 1889. (Fig. 206.) (Dict. Austn. Biography, p. 110, and Cox's “Men of Mark,” p. 53.)

Daniell, Captain Edward (Fig. 207), was the sixth son of Ralph Allen Daniell, Esq., of Trelissick House, Cornwall. Two of his brothers were, respectively, Sir William Daniell, R.N., a Knight of the Hanoverian Order, and Cornet Daniell, of the 8th Hussars, who was wounded at Waterloo, having his horse shot under him.

The captain married a daughter of Captain E. Lawrence, R.N., and when Wakefield's colonisation scheme was mooted he used to meet his Cornish friends, amongst whom were Lord Vivian, Lord Petre, and Sir Wm. Molesworth. He held a commission in the 75th (Old Stirlingshire), now the 1st Gordon Highlanders, and was Adujutant when he left them and sold his commission (as they used to do in those days). He bought, by ballot in London, 1000 acres of land from the N.Z. Company for £1000, in 1839, and came to New Zealand with his family in 1840. Was a member of the Provisional Council of 1840 and took a very active part in the affairs of the settlement.

The “N.Z. Journal,” 1840, p. 302, in an extract from his letter to a friend in London, dated 23rd June, 1840, states:— “We hope to have possession of the town acres in about a month from this time. The site of the town is excellent, and nothing can surpass the excellence of the harbour. I think all the choices under 500 will be of excellent quality.… Much of the neighbourhood is hilly, with some page 343 delightful valleys… I have a whaling establishment at Cook's Straits,” and have hopes of a successful season. We find the climate here much milder than our own country.… If you should come to this country bring with you a very stout, good frame house.” Captain Daniell lived for a time at Te Aro, in a house, the oak framework of which he had brought out with him.

In this house, situated about the centre of what is now Abel Smith Street, Miss Daniell (Juliette), who later married Major Pollexfen Deane, was born in 1842. (The house was moved to The Terrace and was in occupation by Miss Noakes in 1901.)
Fig. 207.—Captain Edward Daniell, 1st Gordon (75th Regmt.), Highlanders. By courtesy of his daughter, Mrs. H. Pollexfen Deane, Worplesdon, Surrey, England]

Fig. 207.—Captain Edward Daniell, 1st Gordon (75th Regmt.), Highlanders. By courtesy of his daughter, Mrs. H. Pollexfen Deane, Worplesdon, Surrey, England]

The captain was unable to get his land when he first came out, but was granted later, 250 acres for every 100 acres bought in London, and received in all 2,500 acres. He also had first selection.

In 1845 the family went to live at Trelissick (called after the Cornwall estate), Ngaio, or Upper Kaiwharawhara. Jerningham Wakefield, in his “Adventure in New Zealand,” mentions that “Captain Daniell had found a spot in the Kaiwharra Valley suitable for a farm, and while others were agitating and calling upon the company to make more roads, each to his own section, he had himself engaged some labourers to make a bridle road from Kaiwharra up to his discovery, which cost him about £30. The Millers, who became his tenants, with certain rights as to cutting timber, continued the road to the mill.”

It was afterwards found that Captain Daniell's bridle road might be continued into the locality of Porirua, so as to avoid some hundred feet of ascent over the first hill out of Port Nicholson by about a mile of circuit, and the company completed this line so as to admit the passage of a dray.

Messrs. Clifford and Vavasour's sections were half a mile beyond Captain Daniell's farm on the Porirua road. About 1849, Captain Daniell took up a block of land, a part of which is now the township of Bulls. This estate was bounded by Quarantine Road, the river at Flower's Mill to the Tutaenui Stream, and Manuka Bush—where Dr. Curle lived for many years, and the river flats, which were called by the Hammonds, when they bought the property, the “Lower Holm.”

A toe-toe whare of four rooms and a kitchen, was built for Mr. Verge, the manager, and many visitors, including Sir John Hall, passed a night there on their way to the coast. The captain went to England in 1855 and stayed some months. On his return to New Zealand he built Killimoon” at Rangitikei, and lived there till 1866, when he cut up a portion of the estate into the township called “Bulls,” after James Bull, who had a mill there. The remainder was sold to the Hammonds and Kilgours (Robert and James), Mr. Matthew Hammond purchasing the homestead, etc. Captain Daniell was proceeding to England with page 344 his son Ralph when he died suddenly at the age of 64.* His eldest son, Edward, came to New Zealand in 1849, and Mr. A. de Brandon procured him a billet in the Bank of New South Wales at Wellington. He became engaged, for a time, to one of the Miss Riddifords, granddaughter of Dr. Evans. He went to Melbourne and laid the first telegraph from that place to the Ballarat gold diggings, and later, married a daughter of Dr. Groves. Their son, Percy, is living at present at Manawatu Heads, Foxton. Percy Daniell married Miss Mary McDonnell, and had four sons and four daughters. The eldest son, Captain Groves E. Daniell, was killed in action in France, 3/10/1916. Further references to the family may be seen in Sir Jas. Wilson's “Early Rangitikei,” p. 59, etc. Captain Daniell is referred to in other portions of this work. The writer is also indebted to Messrs. Percy and Vernon Daniell for the loan of correspondence from Mrs. H. Pollexfen Deane (nee Juliette Daniell, who lives at May's Hill, Worplesdon, Surrey, England. Ellis Bros., from Guildford, England, bought the “Killimoon” homestead and property surrounding it from Mrs. M. Hammond.

The old-fashioned house, and some of the shingled roof barns, or outhouses, are still in existence (1928), the latter bearing evidence of their age.

Domett, Alfred, C.M.G., was born in 1811. Arrived in New Zealand, 1842; was Colonial Secretary for the Province of New Munster, 1848, and N.Z. 1851; Commissioner of Crown Lands for Hawke's Bay and Member for Nelson, 1860; Premier of New Zealand, 1862; Registrar-General of Lands, 1865; returned to England, 1871; published Ranolf Amohia, 1872; created C.M.G., 1880. (Fig. 249.) (Cox's “Men of Mark,” p. 56, and Cyc. N.Z., Vol. I., p. 58 and 254.)

Dorset, John (Dr.), served as captain in Civil War in Portugal; decorated 1st and 2nd Class Order of “Tower and
Fig. 208.—Dr. J. Dorset. (Captain) “Order of Tower and Sword” decoration. By courtesy Miss A. Dorset]

Fig. 208.—Dr. J. Dorset. (Captain) “Order of Tower and Sword” decoration. By courtesy Miss A. Dorset]

Sword,” and for distinguished services at Algaves, where he was the only surviving officer. Further references and references to his brother William are to be found elsewhere in this work, and Grimstone's book, p. 95. (Fig. 208.)
Durie, Major David Stark, served throughout the Civil War in Portugal, Siege of Oporto, wounded at the Heights of Antes 1833, again wounded at St. Sebastion 1836, where every third officer was either killed or wounded. Wounded again later on (October). Decorated 1st Class St. Ferdinand, was at storming of Fontarabia, etc. Fought against rebel natives in the southern districts. (Grimstone, p. 95.) Durie Hill, Whanganui,

* Two of Captain Daniell's sons, Lawrence (died 1874) and Ralph Allen (died 1876), are buried in the Whanganui cemetery, near the graves of the Rev. Richard Taylor, the Hon. John Ballance, and a very dear friend of the writer, the Rev. John Ross, late of Turakina.

page 345 was named after Major Durie. Major Durie was Resident Magistrate at Whanganui for a number of years, retiring in 1866. He lived on Durie Hill (corner of Taylor Street and the river bank). His house stood on a commanding position, overlooking the river, and the Rutland stockade (now the site of the Citizen's War Memorial, handsome art gallery, and museum).

Major Durie, writing to Mr. H. S. Chapman (afterwards Mr. Justice Chapman), in the “N.Z. Journal,” of the 30th January, 1841, refers to the name of Britannia for the present site of Wellington, thus:—

“There has been a great difference of opinion whether the principal settlement is to be at Thorndon, or at the bottom of the bay, about seven miles distant. I have just heard that Colonel Wakefield has determined that the principal town is to be at Thorndon, and called Britannia. Blankets are the favourite articles here. They are now selling at 20/-to 25/-apiece. The natives have built me a very nice house of three rooms for about £4. It consists of a wooden frame of poles tied together with flax, and a wickerwork of reeds and the twigs of the tea tree. The roof is thatched with the same material, and altogether it makes a very comfortable dwelling. Dorset is quite well, and so is St. Hill.…”

Edwin, Commander Robert Atherton, R.N., son of Captain Felix Edwin, R.N., was born in England. At the age of 14 he entered the Royal Navy; wounded at Sebastabol when a Middy on H.M.S. “Albion”; saw active service, China War (H.M.S. “Elk”). He took part in the Maori Wars of the sixties. Decorated with Crimean and Turkish medal and clasp, and the Canton clasp.

He instituted the Government meteorological service in Wellington in 1873. He retired from this post in 1909, and died in 1911. (Fig. 260.)

Further references may be seen in Gisborne's “New Zealand Rulers and Statesmen,” 1840–1897, p. 308.

Evans, Hon. Dr. George Samuel, LL.D., arrived by the “Adelaide,” 1840; was married to the widow of Daniel Riddiford, Esq., London; was early associated with the Wakefield colonisation schemes, and was umpire and second in command in criminal proceedings in the Council of Colonists and affairs of the settlement. He convened the meeting to take steps for the removal of the town of Wellington from Pito-one to Thorndon. Was member of Provincial Council. Left New Zealand, 1844; returned to New Zealand, 1852; died at his residence at Golders Hill (behind Dr. Morice's house), off Hill Street, in 1868; buried at Bolton Street Cemetery. (Dict. Australasian Biog., p. 149; Cox's “Men of Mark,” p. 60, and H. Fildes' article “Evening Post,” 16/7/1927.)

Featherston, Issac Earl, M.D., fourth son of Thomas Featherston, Cotfield House, Durham, was born in Durham on March 21st, 1813, and took his M.D. degree at Edinburgh in 1836. He arrived in New Zealand by the “Olympus,” which left Gravesend in December 1840. Dr. Featherston was surgeon-superintendent in charge of 127 passengers on board. (See “Olympus.”) He took a prominent part in the agitation for self-government in and about 1850, and worked assiduously for the interests of the settlers. On February 7th, 1851, he was presented with a handsome salver and a silver tea page 346 service*, the former bearing the following inscription: “I. E. Featherston, Esq., “M.D. By the Resident Land Purchasers “under the N.Z. Coy., in testimony of his “strenuous exertions in advocating their “claims, and bringing them to a successful “issue. Feb. 7th, 1851, Wellington, “N.Z.” Dr. Featherston was elected first Superintendent when the Province of Wellington was constituted in 1852. He represented Whanganui in Parliament, 1853–1871. Was Colonial Secretary from July 12th to August 2nd, 1861, and held office, without portfolio, from 16th November 1869 to 31st March 1871. He accompanied and led a Maori contingent in various actions at Otapawa and elsewhere, and received the N.Z. Cross. In 1869 he was sent to England in company with Mr. Dillon Bell, as Commissioner, to treat with the Imperial Government for a force to put down rebellion and to raise another force for colonial service. By the Public Works and Immigration Act of 1870, the office of Agent-General was created, and Dr. Featherston became first Agent-General. This post he held from the year 1871 till his death at Brighton on June 19th, 1876. Dr. Featherston married in 1839 a daughter of Mr. A. Scott, of Edinburgh. (Fig. 249.) (Dict. of Australasian Biog., p. 156.)

Fitzgerald, James Edward, C.M.G., B.A., J.P., son of Gerald Fitzgerald, was born at Bath in 1818; educated at Christ's College, Cambridge; was assistant in the Dep. of Antiquities, British Museum, 1844–48; Under-Secretary to the British Museum, 1849–50; was an active member of the Canterbury Society, and in 1850 arrived at Lyttelton, New Zealand, and started the “Lyttelton Times,” acting at the same time as Police Inspector and Immigration Agent. Was first Superintendent of Canterbury in 1853–1857, and one of the members for Lyttelton returned to the first Parliament in 1854. Appointed to the Executive Council, June 14th. This was the first step taken towards responsible Government, Mr. Fitzgerald becoming virtually the first Premier of New Zealand. In 1857–60 he was agent in England for the Province of Canterbury. Re-entered Parliament, 1865; Minister of Native Affairs. In 1866 was appointed Comptroller-General, and in 1872 Commissioner of Audit, and Auditor-General in 1878. He was created C.M.G. in 1870. Mr. Fitzgerald married, in 1850, Fanny Erskine, daughter of the late Mr. George Draper, of London. (Fig. 189.) (Dict. of Australasian Biog., p. 163.)

Fitzherbert, Sir William, C.M.G. (1872), K.C.M.G., M.A. Cantab., M.P., R.C.P. Arrived “Lady Leigh,” 1842; declined seat, Legislative Council, 1843; Superintendent Wellington, 1871–1875; Member for Hutt and Colonial Treasurer. 1864; died, 1891; buried, Hutt Cemetery. (Fig. 249.) (Cox's “Men of Mark,” p. 69, and Cyclopedia of N.Z.)

Fox, Sir Wm., K.C.M.G., born 1812. Resident agent N.Z. Company at Nelson, 1843–1848; principal agent, N.Z. Company, 1848; a member of first Parliament, 1853; Premier, 1856; Colonial Secretary, 1863; Premier, 1869–1873; died, Auck., 1893. (Fig. 249.) (Cyc. N.Z., Vol. 1, p. 57.)

Hadfield, Right Rev. Octavius; born Isle of Wight, 1815. Arrived in New Zealand by H.M.S. “Pelorus,” 1838, and laboured in Otaki for many years. In 1843, after the slaughter of Captain Wakefield and others by Te Rauparaha's people at Wairau, that chief roused his tribe to

* At present in the possession of Mrs. R. L. Macalister (grand-daughter), Highland Park, Wellington.

page 347 arms to prevent the enslaving of the Maori race, and had it not been for the intervention of Mr. Hadfield and Te Rangitake, the Ngatitoa would have descended upon the new settlement of Wellington.
Appointed Archdeacon of Kapiti, with dwelling at Otaki, from 1839–1865, he stood to his post when the Hauhau fanaticism broke out, and the missionary,
Fig. 209.—Archdeacon (afterwards Bishop) Hadfield, Archdeacon of Kapiti in the early days. By courtesy Mr. J. W. Marshall, Rangitikei]

Fig. 209.—Archdeacon (afterwards Bishop) Hadfield, Archdeacon of Kapiti in the early days. By courtesy Mr. J. W. Marshall, Rangitikei]

Volkner, was murdered, declaring that he was ready to lay his bones where he had long laboured. He was appointed to succeed Bishop Abraham in October, 1870, and was Primate of New Zealand (in 1889) when he resigned in 1892. The following is from the pen of Mr. J. W. Marshall, of Tutu Totara, Marton, and contains an extract from a Wellington paper (undated) published during Bishop Hadfield's time: “It does not seem to be generally known, or remembered, that not only was the present Bishop of Wellington (then Archdeacon Hadfield) designated as Bishop of Southern New Zealand 37 years ago—before even Bishop Harper was consecrated—but that letters patent were actually made out in his favour. The Bishop of New Zealand (the late Bishop Selwyn) had agreed to resign the southern portion of his diocese, and had arranged that Archdeacon Hadfield should be the first bishop. The Archbishop of Canterbury warmly recommended the appointment, which was sanctioned by the Duke of Newcastle, then Secretary of State for the Colonies, and the Royal Letters Patent were made out. Archdeacon Hadfield, however, declined to accept the offered bishopric, much to Bishop Selwyn's disappointment. Again he was proposed in 1857, as bishop of the contemplated new diocese of Wellington and Nelson. Ultimately Wellington and Nelson each became a separate diocese, and Archdeacon Hadfield was elected by the clergy and laity of Wellington as their first bishop. Subsequently, however, in consequence of the state of the Maori people, Archdeacon Hadfield deemed it his duty to continue his mission work among them, and, therefore, determined to decline consecration to the Wellington See, which accordingly was conferred on Bishop Abraham, who was succeeded in 1870 by Archdeacon Hadfield, the present bishop. It may be added that Bishop Hadfield was the first deacon ordained in Australia, the first priest ordained in New Zealand, and the first bishop consecrated without Royal Mandate or Letters Patent. He may, therefore, be regarded as in every sense the Father of the New Zealand Church.” page 348 (Fig. 209.) (Dictionary of Australasian Biography, p. 208.)
Hamerton, Captain Robert Chisenhall (Fig. 210), was born at the Hollins, Lancashire, England, and educated at the Queen Elizabeth Grammar School, Yorkshire. He arrived in New Zealand by the “Cashmere” in 1854, and obtained colonial experience at farming on his father's farm. He joined the Taranaki Militia as an officer, and participated in several engagements during the Maori War; was wounded at the battle of Waireka, and received the N.Z. war medal for his services.
Fig. 210.—Captain R. C. Hamerton. Maori War Veteran. By courtesy Mrs. R. C. Hamerton]

Fig. 210.—Captain R. C. Hamerton. Maori War Veteran. By courtesy Mrs. R. C. Hamerton]

After the Maori wars he entered the Civil Service, and in 1871 was appointed Registrar of the Supreme Court in Wellington, and succeeded Mr. Jonas Woodward as second Public Trustees in 1880.

Captain Hamerton was an enthusiastic volunteer, Freemason, accomplished musician, and a prominent member of St. Mark's Church, where he gratuitously presided at the organ (erected in the church in 1879) periodically for many years. He married Miss A. Parris, a daughter of Major Parris, Native Commissioner for Taranaki, and who arrived by the ship “Blenheim,” in 1842.

Mrs. Hamerton, who survives her husband, and who is now in her ninetieth year, is living at 26 Central Terrace (the site of MoxhaMcs farmhouse, which was the only house in the vicinity about thirty years ago). When MoxhaMcs farm was subdivided, Mr. A. Young built the first house, and Mr. Hamerton, the fourth, in Kelburn.

Harrison, Henry Shafto, arrived by the ship “Bolton,” and took up his residence at the corner of Murphy and Little Pipitea Streets. He was keenly interested in the various meetings held in Old Barrett's Hotel (Hotel Cecil site) and affairs of the settlement. The “N.Z. Journal,” Nov. 8th, 1845, mentions a “Journal of a Walk Along the East Coast, in 1844, from Wellington to Table Cape,” by Messrs. Thomas and Harrison.

The latter was an original purchaser, by ballot in London, 1839, of sections 561, 686, 926 and 1035, Town of Wellington. Was clerk to the Provincial Council, 1856. (His photo appears amongst the members of the Provincial Council of 1861–1866.) A Justice of the Peace at Whanganui, 1863. Mrs. Edgar Macdonald, of Whanganui, is a grand-daughter.

Heaphy, Major Charles, V.C. The only colonist on whom the Victoria Cross was conferred for gallantry during the Maori War trouble in New Zealand, was the son of Thomas Heaphy, water colour painter, who founded the old Water Colour Society and the Society of British Artists. Charles as a young man studied at the Royal Academy, where, before he was 17, he gained both a bronze and silver medal. He came to New Zealand as draughtsman in the ship “Tory,” in May, 1839.

During the first ten or twelve years after his arrival, he employed his spare time in page 349 studying, surveying, and exploring the country, eventually settling in Auckland, where he married a daughter of the Rev. J. F. Churton, Colonial Chaplain. After serving in the volunteer movement in 1859, and at the front in 1863, he was awarded the V.C. for bravery. Captain Heaphy was in charge of a detachment in the Waikato. A soldier was seen lying near the edge of the creek, wounded and bleeding to death, an artery having been severed. Captain Heaphy, having some knowledge of surgery, volunteered to go to his assistance, and having reached him, was engaged in taking up the artery when he was fired at by a body of natives, who were concealed in the farm close by. He was struck and slightly wounded in three places, but nevertheless succeeded in completing his work of humanity and, with the assistance of some soldiers, carrying off the man. For this brave action he received the N.Z. Medal and the rank of Major in the N.Z. Militia and was recommended for the Victoria Cross, which was awarded to him in 1867.

He represented Parnell in the House of Representatives from 1869–1872. And died at Brisbane, Aug. 3, 1881. He was author of “Narrative of a Residence in Various
Fig. 211.—Sir James Hector, M.P., K.C.M.G., F.R.S. By courtesy Sir F. R. Chapman]

Fig. 211.—Sir James Hector, M.P., K.C.M.G., F.R.S. By courtesy Sir F. R. Chapman]

Parts of N.Z.” (1842). (Fig. 266.) (Dict. of Australasian Biog., p. 223).

Hector, Sir James, M.D., K.C.M.G., F.R.S., born 1834, was Director of Geological Survey 1865. Director of the N.Z. Inst., 1868; Received Order of the Golden Crown, 1874; created C.M.G., 1875; K.C.M.G., 1886. Was also an organiser of the Botanical Gardens. (Fig. 211.) (Cyc. N.Z., Vol. 1, p. 176.)

Hunter, George, was the first Mayor of Wellington, 1842. He is referred to elsewhere in this work. (Fig. 242.)

Hunter, George. Born 1821, arrived with his father (the first Mayor of Wellington) in the “Duke of Roxburgh,” 1840. Was member Legislative Council till 1853; Parliament 1871–1879; member of the City Council, Chamber of Commerce, Wellington Club, Choral Society, and Jockey Club. (Fig. 188.) (Cyc. N.Z., Vol. I., pp. 263 and 287.)

Hunter, Robert, was the youngest of ten children of George Hunter, Esq., first Mayor of Wellington. He arrived in the “Duke of Roxburgh,” 1840, and became a member of the firm of Bethune and Hunter, Old Customhouse Street. (Fig. 190.)

Jerningham, F. W., of 3 Howford Buildings, Fenchurch, London, returned from visiting all the settlements in New Zealand, and established a general Agency business of all classes in connection with the Colony in 1846. (N.Z. Journal, 11/4/1846.)

Johnston, Mr. Justice Alex. James, was born 1820. Puisne Judge, N.Z., 1858. Resided in Wellington 1875. (Fig. 254.) (Cox's “Men of Mark,” p. 119.)

page 350

Kelham, James. Although Mr. James KelhaMcs name does not appear on the ship “London's” passenger list, yet the names of Mesdames Georgina and Jane are mentioned amongst the passengers leaving Gravesend by the “London” in January, 1842.

Mr. KelhaMcs name is on the “Burgess” list of 1843, addressed Mt. Albyn, occupation, gentleman. He was an accountant by profession in 1849, and first chairman of the Chamber of Commerce, 1856–1858. Died 1862 and buried at the Hutt cemetery. (Fig. 212.) For further references see index.

Love, John Agar, was the owner and captain of a whaling boat named “Tohora” (The Whaler) in the late thirties. Richard Barrett (Dicky) was first mate at one time, and two of the crew were named respectively Keenan and J. W. Heberly (known afterwards as Worser the Pilot). He was cabin boy. Mr. Heberly died recently about the age of 97.

John (Jacky) Love married Chieftainess Mere Ruru Te Hukinua, and had two sons and one daughter. The eldest son, John Daniel Love, married Harata Utiku, by whom he had a son named Daniel Taniora Mana Love, who married Josephine Ngatata, a daughter of Wi Tako. Mr. E. J. Wakefield, describing Barrett's house at Te Awa-iti, in his Adventures in N.Z., p. 33 (date Sept. 1st, 1839), states:—“Barrett had adopted a son of an old trader and friend of his named Jacky Love, who was on his deathbed, regretted by the natives as one of themselves. He had married a young chieftainess of great rank and his son Daniel was treated with that universal respect and kindness to which he was entitled by the character of his father and the rank of his mother.”

Again, on page 99:—“During our absence from Te Awa-iti, Jacky Love, the trader whom I mentioned as having obtained the affection of the natives had died. 200 natives followed his body to the grave; and they subsequently erected a monument over it such as usually graces the tomb of a great chieftain. This was a canoe stuck upright in the ground, some 20 feet high, painted in fanciful designs with red and black dye, and edged all round with a fringe of feathers.”
Fig. 212.—James Kelham, Esq. First Chairman of the Chamber of Commerce, 1856–58. By courtesy Chambers of Commerce] [photo by S. P. Andrew.

Fig. 212.—James Kelham, Esq. First Chairman of the Chamber of Commerce, 1856–58. By courtesy Chambers of Commerce] [photo by S. P. Andrew.

Macfarlane, Rev. John, arrived in the “Bengal Merchant” with Mr. R. R. Strang and others, and was pastor of the Scotch Kirk in Wellington. One Sabbath Day, the 20th June, 1841, the gospel was proclaimed by him in Gaelic for the first time in New Zealand, to the delight of the Highlanders. He is referred to elsewhere.

Maclean, Sir Donald, K.C.M.G., fourth son of the late John Maclean, of Kilmonaig, Tiree, Argylshire, and Margaret, daughter of the Rev. D. McColl, was born on October 27th, 1820. At the age of 17 he went to Sydney and entered a merchant's office there. In 1839 he arrived in New Zealand and was appointed clerk and interpreter in page 351 the office of the Chief Protector of the aborogines in Taranaki, and as such came into relation with the chief Te Heu Heu;

The Wellington “Independent” (Oct. 23, 1847), in an article entitled “Coming events cast their shadows before” reports: “A letter from Kawana, nephew of Te Whero-Whero, head chief of the Waikato tribes, to the Taranaki natives, has been intercepted by Mr. McLean, interpreter, at New Plymouth.

“The letter is short, but contains expressions of the deepest hostility to the Europeans.

“It is said that Kawana was induced to write the letter in consequence of a speech delivered to a large assemblage of natives in the North, to Te Rauparaha.”

In 1847 Mr. McLean secured land for the Government at Waitara.

The “N.Z. Spectator,” March 10th, 1849, refers to the purchase of the Manawatu and Rangitikei blocks thus:—“The Governor has no doubt been ably seconded in the execution of his plans by the exertions of those persons who have been entrusted with so difficult and delicate a commission; particularly by Mr. McLean, who appears to have considerable influence with the natives; and who has shown great sagacity and tact in the management of these difficult arrangements.”

He was appointed Resident Magistrate in 1850 for a native district. After a varied experience as Chief Commissioner of Land Purchases he was made Native Secretary in 1856. In 1866 he was charged by Mr. Weld, then Premier, with the task of reducing to order the hostile natives on the East Coast, and in 1869 was Native Minister and Minister for Colonial Defence. He succeeded in making peace in the Waikato with the King party. At this time the Colony was troubled by the outlaw Te Kooti, and Mr. McLean hit upon the idea of handing the chase over to the friendly Maoris, under Major Ropata; and subsequently adhered to a steadfast policy of peace, arranging for the return of Te Rangitake, one of the figures in the Waitara trouble, to Taranaki. So successful was he, and so trusted by the Maoris, that, upon the resignation of the Fox Ministry in 1872, Mr. Stafford, in forming a Cabinet, offered to take over Mr. McLean as Native Minister. The Stafford Government had but a brief life, and on October 11th, 1872, Mr. McLean became Native Minister in the Waterhouse Government. While in power he carried through the House a valuable Land Bill which gave satisfaction to Maoris and colonists alike. Also a Native Reserve Bill. He was Superintendent of Hawke's Bay Province, and created K.C.M.G. in 1874. Continued in office to December, 1876, and died in 1877. (Fig. 43, 44 and 213.)

The Lyttelton “Times” of 2nd August, 1926, quoting from their issue of July 3rd, 1876 (fifty years ago), states:—

Sir Donald McLean, Native Minister, in an interview with the Maori King said:

“‘Tawhiao, I have carefully weighed all your words at Waitomo. I remember, too, the words of your father, Potatau, about living at peace with the Europeans.

“If you follow his counsel in this matter, the Government will show you all the more consideration. We are agreeable for you to have full control over your people within your own district, and we are prepared to strengthen your hands in maintaining peace and order.”

Tawhiao.—“The people and the land are mine.”

The “New Zealand Times” of Monday, 8th January, 1877, commenting on Sir Donald's death states:—“The intelligence of Sir Donald McLean's decease has been received in every part of the colony with page 352 feelings of the deepest regret by all classes of the community. The natives displayed the most acute emotion when they heard the sad news. They have lost one whom they esteemed and respected, who was their sincere friend, who always dealt fairly and honourably with them in his public and private capacity. Sir Donald, when a young man, travelled on foot from Taranaki to Wellington in the early forties. While at Wellington he made the acquaintance of Mr. R. R. Strang, and subsequently married the daughter of that gentleman, but was not long permitted to enjoy the comforts of domestic life, as he lost his young wife immediately after the birth of their first and only child, Mr. Robert Douglas McLean (now Sir
Fig. 213.—Sir Donald Maclean, K.C.M.G.G. By courtesy Sir Douglas Maclcan]

Fig. 213.—Sir Donald Maclean, K.C.M.G.G. By courtesy Sir Douglas Maclcan]

Douglas), who is now the only representative of his father and grandfather.” The “Times” of the 11th and 19th January, 1877, contains long accounts of Sir Donald's career and funeral. A tangi was held at the late Sir Donald's residence, Napier Terrace, about three thousand Europeans, including members of Parliament, from Wellington, and nine hundred natives attending to pay their last respects to their honoured chief.

The service, with Masonic rites, was conducted by the Rev. Sidey, assisted by the Rev. D'Arcy Irvine.

An article entitled “Odds and Ends,” written by S. Saunders and published in the “Evening Post” of 11th August, 1928, refers to the author's meeting and shaking hands with Sir Donald McLean when, as a small boy, he forthwith constituted Sir Donald his favourite hero in real life. He mentions an obituary notice appearing in the “Colonist” (1877), which he has held in memory ever since, and quotes, for the benefit of a generation that is apt to think the present happy relations between the two people of this country just “happened along” without effort from any particular source. “Throughout the colony, from men of every political party and of every rank of life, there will be expressions of deep sorrow when it is heard that Sir Donald McLean is no more,” the writer truly said. “It is so lately that the peace of the country, and with that its prosperity, was held to be unsafe in any other hands than those that so long wielded with success the great powers of the Native Department, that in his retirement the only sense of safety was in the knowledge that should the welfare of the colony require it, he again would be prompt to risk life, and sacrifice his own well-earned rest. While every European will lament his death, by the Maoris, to whom he was endeared by his resolute determination to enforce strict justice, he will be mourned as the greatest of chiefs.… New Zealand has lost its most distinguished statesman, whose name will never cease to be remembered while the country he served so well endures.” Scores of similar appreciations of this great man's services to the colony and its people were uttered at the time.

page 353

“Out of the innumerable perplexities, difficulties, and errors of the previous generation,” writes Mr. W. P. Reeves in the “Long White Cloud,” “a really capable Native Minister had been evolved. This was Sir Donald McLean, who, from the beginning of 1869 to the end of 1876, took almost entire direction of the native policy. A burly, patient, kindly-natured Highlander, his Celtic blood helped him to sympathise with the proud, warlike, clannish nature of the Maori. It was largely owing to his influence that Ropata and others aided us so actively against Te Kooti. It was not, however, as a War Minister, but as the man who established complete and lasting peace through New Zealand that his name should be remembered.” In the Governor's speech at the opening of the session of Parliament following upon his death, a high tribute was paid to Sir Donald. ‘His devotion to the duties of his office, his knowledge of the native language and character, his generosity and large heartedness, and his tact in dealing with individuals as well as with the masses, secured to him an influence over the Maori people which he exercised unceasingly to promote their welfare and advancement, to maintain peace and to bring about that reconciliation between the races which he so earnestly desired to accomplish.’ And yet,” concludes Mr. Saunders, “this great peacemaker is without any adequate memorial within the confines of the capital city.”

A handsome monument in the Napier cemetery, and an imposing cairn at McLean Park, Napier, were erected to his memory by his family and Napier residents respectively. Donald McLean Street, Wellington, is honoured by his name. (N.Z. Rulers and Statesmen, Dictionary of Australasian Biography, p. 303, and Wilson's “Early Rangitikei.”)

MacLean, Sir Robert Donald Douglas, K.B., of Wellington, Napier and Maraekakaho (Fig. 1), was born at Dalmuir Hill, Wellington Terrace, in 1852. He is the only son of the late Sir Donald McLean, K.C.M.G., Native Minister and Superintendent of Hawke's Bay. He was educated at the Auckland Grammar School and Clifton College, England, the Hon. A. G. Tollemache acting as his guardian at the latter place. Was a prominent cyclist and footballer in the early seventies, and in the volunteer service in 1876. He joined the Masonic fraternity, Pacific Lodge, in 1876, and is now the oldest member of that branch in New Zealand. Was called to the Bar, Middle Temple, in 1882, and married Miss Butler-Stoney, Portland Park, County Tipperary. His family comprised one son, the late Captain MacLean, of the Cameron Highlanders, and two daughters. The eldest married Admiral Fountaine, R.N., C.B., of Narford Hall, celebrated for its collection of rare china and curios.

Sir Douglas was for many years chairman of the Hawke's Bay County Council, member Hawke's Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Association, Education Board, Napier High School, North British Freezing Company, President H.B. Boxing and Wrestling Association, H.B. Navy League, and H.B. Highland Society, M.H.R. for Napier, 1896–1899. Lived in London during the war, 1914–18, was member of the Executive Committee of Walton Military Hospital, N.Z. War Contingent Association, Chairman N.Z. Soldiers' Hostel Committee, member of committee Royal Colonial Institute, and on the executive council of the Navy League, London. Returned to New Zealand after the war and resumed his activities in New Zealand. Since his return he has identified himself with other organisations in addition to those men- page 354 tioned above, being President of the Early Settlers' Association, Wellington, and President of the Manawatu A. and P. Association, and Chairman of Committee for the New Zealand Association of Public Schools of Great Britain (1927–1928). Was created a Knight Bachelor, 1927. Sir Douglas is an ardent collector of New Zealand literature, etc., and is intensely patriotic. Lady MacLean is also an enthusiast on bric-a-brac and Maori relics, amongst which is an album of Maori tattooed faces and designs drawn by General Robley, who resides in London, and contributes periodical additions to her collection.

Their only son, the late Captain MacLean, who went to France with the Main Body in 1914, served with the “Old Contemptibles,” and was severely wounded in action. He returned to New Zealand for a time, and then served his country in Ireland and India, but was invalided home. He never recovered from his war disabilities, and died at Napier shortly after the armistice. (See also “Who's Who in N.Z.” p. 162, and Cyclopaedia N.Z., etc.)

While this book was being printed, a Press Association message from Napier announced the death, at his residence, Napier Terrace, of Sir Douglas MacLean.

Commenting on the sad event, the “Hawke's Bay Tribune,” of the 8th February, 1929, writes:—

“People in every part of the Dominion, and many living overseas, will mourn with Napier in the loss of one of its most benevolent and highly esteemed citizens, who passed away on the afternoon of the 7th inst.”

A detailed account of his early life, his devotion to public service, his prominence in stock breeding, his work in England during the war period, his active interest in various societies, and his enthusiasm in various kinds of sport, appears in the same issue of the “Tribune.”

The “Hawke's Bay Herald,” of the 11th February, 1929, contains a lengthy account of the funeral, and a sincere tribute to Sir Douglas's memory.

The opening part of the funeral service was held at St. Paul's Church, Napier, which was taxed to its uttermost by an attendance representing all classes of the community.

Various speakers made feeling references at the ceremony, and a lady representative of the native race came forward, and, as a mark of the very high regard in which the late Sir Douglas had been held by the Maoris, placed a very fine Maori mat over the coffin, which was buried with it.

At the conclusion of the service, Pipers C. and R. McCartney played the lament “Flowers of the Forest,” from the church to the cemetery, and at the graveside played “Lochaber No More.”

The pallbearers were farm employees from Sir Douglas's Maraekakaho station, who performed their last services to their “chief,” who was always referred to by them as the “Laird.”

Following is the translation of the inscription on one of the large number of beautiful wreaths accompanying the cortege, from the Maori War Veterans: “Depart old friend to your ancestors and people; the hearts of the old veterans are full of sorrow.”

Mantell, Hon. Walter Baldock Durant, M.L.C., F.G.S., was born 1820. Son of Dr. Gideon Algernon Mantell. He arrived by the “Oriental,” 1840, and was the first Postmaster and Clerk to the Bench, 1841, Superintendent of Military Roads, 1845, Commissioner for Native Claims, 1848. Assisted in the formation page 355
Fig. 214.—The Hon. Walter Baldock Durant Mantell, M.L.C., F.G.S. By courtesy Mrs. W. G. Mantell]

Fig. 214.—The Hon. Walter Baldock Durant Mantell, M.L.C., F.G.S. By courtesy Mrs. W. G. Mantell]

of the N.Z. Society for Scientific Purposes, 1851, Crown Lands Commissioner, 1851. Went to England, 1855, returned N.Z. 1859. Was Native Minister 1861, died 1895. (Fig. 214.) (For further particulars see Cyclopaedia N.Z., Vol. I. p. 253.)

Marks, Captain J. (Fig. 261), arrived by the schooner “Regina” in 1839. The “Regina” was wrecked at Moturoa, near New Plymouth, and the gallant captain made a landing in New Zealand after swimming from the Sugar Loafs to New Plymouth.

He was soon after appointed skipper of surf boats, and was for a period engaged in whaling and coastal service. When he was second pilot at Manakau he erected the flagstaff there, and was alongside the H.M.S. “Orpheus” when the “Orpheus” was wrecked on the bar. Later he was placed in charge of the “Maori,” the first revenue cutter.

In 1860 he was commander of the schooner “Caroline” gunboat. Was first exempt pilot for the whole of New Zealand.

In 1862 commanded the P.S. “Sandfly” gunboat in the East Coast campaign, and was at the battle of Gate Pa, Tauranga. In 1867 he commanded “Duke of Edinburgh” and “Midge” during the Thames rush. Was sailing master in 1870 for Governor Fergusson's (Sir Charles Fergusson's father) private yacht. In 1874 he was appointed pilot at Tauranga, and was drowned there while rescuing another in 1879. On one occasion was reprimanded, and then presented with £50, for disobeying orders; having taken his ship with despatches through what is known as the “Hole in the Wall,” at night time, thereby saving some hours and delivering despatches in time. The Hole in the Wall is a passage among rocks on the East Coast, known in those days only to a few.

The late Mrs. J. Pinfold of Karori South was a daughter of Captain and Mrs. Marks.

Marshall, John William, 1814–1891. Entered the army in 1836. Ensign in the 65th Regmt. Served in Canada during Papineau rebellion. In 1846 the regiment was ordered to Australia. On arrival at Sydney it was sent on to New Zealand. When trouble began at the Hutt with the natives the 65th was sent from Auckland to Wellington, where it was quartered for many years, occupying the Mt. Cook and Thorndon Barracks—now Fitzherbert Terrace. In 1849 he married Mary Frederico, only daughter of Wm. Swainson, Esq., F.R.S., by his first wife. She died in 1854. In 1861, after the first Taranaki War, he retired with the rank of Major, and in 1862 settled at Tutu Totara, Rangitikei. During the later Maori Wars he held the military command, under the N.Z. Government, of the Rangitikei-Manawatu District. Other than that he took no active part in public affairs, living quietly at Tutu Totara until his death in 1891. (Fig. 263.) (Cyclopaedia of N.Z., Vol. I., p. 1309.)

Mein-Smith, Captain R. N., was the first surveyor-general to the New Zealand page 356 Company in 1839. References to Captain Smith are made throughout the earlier chapters in this work, and may be found by looking up the general index (See also Fig. 288.)

Miss Constance B. Tully, of Hamilton, daughter of Mr. John Tully, who arrived in 1842, is a grand-daughter, and Miss O. W. Wolters, of Carterton, is a great-grand-daughter of Captain Smith.

McKenzie, Thomas Wilmor, was born 1827 and arrived in the “Adelaide” 1840. He was associated with Samuel Revans in the first newspaper published on the Pito-one Beach. Became proprietor of the Wellington Independent and left many valuable records in the Wellington Almanacs, etc. (see index). Was member of the first Constitution and Town and Country Land Associations. (Fig. 275.) (Cyc. N.Z., Vol. I., p. 296.)

Molesworth, F. A., was an original purchaser of several town and country sections by ballot in London, 1839, and arrived in New Zealand by the “Oriental” in 1840. He became one of the first agriculturists and pastoralists, and a partner of the firm of Betts, Hopper, Petre and Molesworth. Writing to a friend in London on the 8th May, 1840 (N.Z. Journal, 1840, p. 302), he states:—“This is in answer to yours of the 30th Oct., 1839.…… I am amusing myself with getting some wooden houses sawn out, which I intend to put up on my own town acres when I get them.* . . In consequence of inundations on the site originally proposed for the town, it has been decided to fix our metropolis at Thorndon Bay on the S.W. coast of the harbour.

“The bank shelves off to 2 fathoms at 30 yards from low water mark, so that ships can lie close in with perfect security. There are at this moment 13 in the harbour. The natives (to whom it was said in England we were to have afforded a meal), seem now to be rather apprehensive of our turning the tables, and making a repast off their own beauteous bodies. They need, however, be under no apprehension, although there is a report at Sydney that we were starving.

“The Redcoats are already ordered off to Mana, where there has been some disturbance between the whites and natives. June 26th, 1840… Tell Mr. Woolcombe that the more settlement he can effect in New Zealand the better I shall like it, for we shall all help one another. The only thing I hall have to regret will be that the Cornish emigrants, will not be sent to Port Nicholson.”

The views of Mr. Molesworth's residence and the windmill on the river Hutt by Brees are shown on another page. Molesworth's mill was erected in the Hutt by Messrs. J. H. Percy and Son (grandfather and father of the Percy Bros. at Petone).

This mill was known as the Newry Flour Mill and was run by Molesworth.

Francis Molesworth was a member of the Committee of the Cattle Company, 1840, and was chairman of the meeting held at the Exchange, June, 1842, in connection with the Land Claims. Prize taker at the horticultural shows, 1843. He went Home about 1845 and died on the 4th August, 1846, aged 27 years.

Molesworth, Sir William (Bart.), was a director of the New Zealand Company, a colonising statesman, reformer and founder of the “London Review” 1835. At one of his speeches in England he referred to his interest in New Zealand partly owing to the fact that his

* The wooden houses referred to by Francis Molesworth in his letter of the 8th May, 1840, were probably the three situated on the site of the Artcraft Theatre in Molesworth Street in the early days.

page 357 brother Francis was one of the early colonists.

The name of Molesworth is associated with Pencarrow, the family seat in Cornwall.

The writer was informed by Mr. Len McKenzie that Lady Molesworth sent out the material for a Molesworth Monument. Portions of the monument lay in the City Council yards and elsewhere for some time until his father (Mr. Thos. W. McKenzie) proposed at a Council meeting that the memorial be erected.

The parts were assembled and erected near the Basin Reserve. This monument is sometimes referred to as the Wakefield Memorial in Dufferin Street.

A tracing made on the 12th September, 1882, by Mr. E. V. Briscoe, of a plan of the Government Buildings, and lodged in the Survey Office there (G. 134), shows, at the corner of Featherston and Whitmore Streets (opposite the Missions to Seamen Hall), the site marked out for a hexagon shaped memorial with a 30ft. radius. This is referred to as the Sir William Molesworth monument.

Park, Robert, was assistant surveyor to the New Zealand Company in 1840, and appointed town surveyor by the Council in 1842, with a salary of £50 per annum. (N.Z. Journal, 15/4/1843.) (Fig. 283.)

Mr. Robert Park, of Petone, is a grandson. Other relatives are Mrs. H. D. Bennett and Mrs. Hapi Love.

Powles, Charles Plummer, F.I.A.N.Z., son of T. O. Powles, Esq., of Lloyds, London, was born September 17th, 1839. He married Eliza, daughter of H. C. Adams, Esq., of Newry, Longford, Tasmania. He was educated at King's College, London, and joined the London Rifles Brigade in 1860. Arriving in New
Fig. 214a.—Charles Plummer Powles, Esq., F.I.A.N.Z. By courtesy Col. C. Guy Powles, C.M.G., D.S.O.]

Fig. 214a.—Charles Plummer Powles, Esq., F.I.A.N.Z. By courtesy Col. C. Guy Powles, C.M.G., D.S.O.]

Zealand in 1863, he went to Rangitikei, and was Sergeant-Major in the Victoria Cavalry.

Coming back to Wellington, he was made accountant in the Provincial Treasury, was Captain of the Wellington Rifle Volunteer Cadets 1868. Captain N.Z. Militia in 1870, appointed Provincial Teasurer (1871 to 1876), and Secretary to the Benevolent Institution, 1873–1878, Treasurer and Secretary of Wellington College Governors, and Registrar of Victoria University 1878–1905.

He was a member of the British Astronomical Association, the Synod of the Diocese of Wellington, a prominent Mason, and a keen member of St. John Ambulance Society. He received special thanks for distinguished services in the field of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem.

Richardson, James, born at Hastings, 1834, arrived by the ship “Arab” in 1841, and was educated at Finnimore's school. He went to Marton in 1866 and became Lieut. in the Rangitikei Rifles, and in 1892 a Borough councillor. (Fig. 194.)

Mr. Richardson had one son, Mr. Harold Richardson, Rangitikei Council County Clerk, and one daughter, who married Mr. page 358 A. H. Knigge, Town Clerk, Marton.

Knigge Avenue, Wellington, was named after the latter's father.

Rangitikei district held many early Wellington people, among whom were Bishop Hadfield, Sir Wm. Fox, Major Marshall, Colonel Gorton, Dr. Curle, Messrs. R. and M. Hammond, Galpin, Richardson, Fraser, Scott, McKelvie, Bryce, McBeth, Ross and the late W. C. Kensington.

Richmond, Major Mathew, C.B., arr. 1840. Commissioned to examine and report on claims and grants of land in New Zealand. Chief Police Magistrate 1843; Superintendent Southern Div. New Zealand 1844; R.M. Nelson 1846; Companion of the Bath, 1860. (Fig. 39c.) (Cox's “Men of Mark,” p. 160).

Richmond, Christopher William, better known as Mr. Justice Richmond, joined the Stafford Ministry 1856—1861; was Colonial Secretary and Treasurer, Minister for Native Affairs and Commissioner Customs. Died August, 1895. (Fig. 255.) (Cyc. N.Z., Vol. I., p. 169.)

Riddiford, Daniel, Emigration Agent, arrived in the “Adelaide,” 1840, bringing in sections the first house that was erected at Pipitea Point. Mrs. Riddiford used to write the despatches for the N.Z. Company. His son, Edward Joshua, was born at the Lower Hutt in 1842, and was the first child baptised by Bishop Selwyn in New Zealand. Was Lieutenant in the Militia under Colonel Gorton; Vice-President of the A. and P. Society in 1895. Further particulars may be seen in the N.Z. Cyclopaedia, Vol. 1, p. 839.

Stout, Right Hon. Sir Robert, P.C., K.C.M.G., D.C.L., Oxon., L.L.D. Manchester and Edinburgh, M.L.C. Sir Robert stands out first and foremost as our greatest living politician. He has had a long career as a statesman, was twice Premier of the Colony, and had previously held office as a Minister of the Crown.

He was born at Lerwick, Shetland Isles, in 1844. Educated at the best school on the island, and at the age of 13 was installed as a pupil teacher. He landed at the age of 19, at New Zealand, in 1864, had passed examinations as a surveyor in Shetland, but followed the teaching profession as second master at the Dunedin Grammar School. Admitted as a barrister and solicitor in 1871. Elected a member of the Provincial Council of Otago 1872; Provincial Solicitor 1873; M.H.R. 1875; Attorney-General 1878; Member Land Board, Otago, 1882; Stout-Vogel Ministry 1884; K.C.M.G. 1886; Member for Mangahua 1893; represented Wellington City 1894–1898; Chief Justice and Administrator 1899; Chancellor of N.Z. University 1903–1922; Hon. D.C.L. Oxon. Judicial Privy Council 1921; M.L.C. 1926.

Referring to Sir Robert Stout at a prize-giving ceremony at Wellington College, the “Evening Post,” 16th December, 1925, published the remarks of Mr. John Caughley, Director of Education, thus: “Throughout Sir Robert's career, he (Sir Robert) had never ceased to be a student.… He had made it a point to take up a new study every winter; sometimes it was a new language, science, or a new line of reading.… All students and young men could, with great benefit to themselves, follow the example of our venerated Chief Justice.” Further references—dates of administration—will be found on another page, and farewell to official jurisdiction, etc., in the “N.Z. Times” and “Dominion,” 1st February, 1926; “Evening Post,” 1926; Experiences, 5th May, 1927. (Fig. 257.)

page 359

Strang, Robert Roger, was lay representative of the Church of Scotland in New Zealand, solicitor to the New Zealand Company 1840, and Deputy-Registrar in 1846. Mr. Strang is referred to elsewhere in this book. (Fig. 284.)

Swainson, William, F.R.S., F.L.S., born 1788, entered the army at an early age. Served with the British. Army under Sir John Moore in Sicily and Calagea in 1807. Made Asst.-Commissary General. After peace of 1815 studied natural history. Studied at Brazil in 1816, returned to England, and published a book on Zoology, illustrated by himself. Made a Fellow of the Royal Society, Linnœan Society, and others. Arrived in the
Fig. 215.—William Swainson, Esq., F.R.S., F.L.S. 1788–1855. By courtesy Mr. J. W. Marshall]

Fig. 215.—William Swainson, Esq., F.R.S., F.L.S. 1788–1855. By courtesy Mr. J. W. Marshall]

barque “Jane,” which was detained for six weeks at Rio de Janeiro for repairs to a leak. Arrived Wellington. June 1841. Was a shareholder in the N.Z. Company, and allotted a section in the Hutt (now the site of the Roman Catholic convent or school), and there he made his home. With others, he suffered loss during the troublesome times with the natives. In 1844 he was asked by the Governor of New South Wales to examine and report on the botany of the colony; on which he spent nearly two years. He was subsequently employed by Sir John Franklyn, then Governor of Tasmania, for the same work. Returning to New Zealand, he passed his last years at home in the Hutt, Fern Grove, where he died in 1855. As an artist with the pencil, his work, especially in bird life was of unusual merit and widely recognised. Some few small sketches of his of N.Z. scenery, which were offered for sale in London recently had a high value placed on them. (Fig. 215.) (Dict. of Australasian Biography, p. 451.)

Swainson, Hon. William, was nominated in 1841 by Lord John Russell, Attorney-General of New Zealand previous to the introduction of responsible Government, and sailed for that colony in company with Chief Justice Martin. During the voyage out, the two devoted themselves to preparing an “Outline of a Legal System.” (Dictionary of Australian Biography, J. Mennell, F.R.G.S., p. 450.)

Taine, James John, was born on the 29th January, 1817, and baptised on the 16th March, 1817, in St. Giles Church, Cripplegate, London.

His attention being directed to this country by the public notices exhibited in London by the New Zealand Company, he sailed by the “Adelaide” on the 18th page 360 Sept., 1839. Arriving at Port Hardy on March 4th, 1840, he proceeded to Port Nicholson. He married Leocadia de Oliveira shortly after his arrival in Wellington. About six years later he again visited Porty Hardy, and was a guest for a time of Captain Stanley, of H.M.S. “Calliope,” which was sheltering there. There he met Lieut. McKillop, of Maori War fame, who later in life became an Admiral in the Turkish Navy, and died in Egypt as “McKillop Pasha.”

Mr. Taine's business premises were on Lambton Quay (site of Scoullar's furniture warehouse), and his wharf was erected by the present site of the Royal Hotel. He resided at the Hutt, by the bridge site, on the east side of the river bank. His neighbour, Mr. Rush, who was massacred by the Maoris under Mamaku and Rangihaeata, lived on the opposite side of the river. At this time Mr. Taine, who was a member of the Militia, removed his wife and young family to Wellington, and lived at Thorndon Quay until the earthquake of 1855 badly damaged his house. He then removed to the house on Wellington Ter-
Fig. 216.—The Hon. Algernon Gray Tollemache. By courtesy Sir Douglas Maclean]

Fig. 216.—The Hon. Algernon Gray Tollemache. By courtesy Sir Douglas Maclean]

which later became Captain Sharp's (now, in 1929, Sir Robert Stout's).

Prior to the gold discoveries in California and Australia he was a trustee of the Debenture Association. (Se Fig. 241.) It was owing to Mr. Taine's and Captain W. B. Rhodes' efforts that a branch of the Bank of New Zealand was opened at Wellington. He removed to Auckland in 1879, and died a few years ago at an advanced age. (Fig. 187.)

Tollemache, Hon. Algernon Gray, was a purchaser of about thirty-four of the original sections in the settlement and took the keenest interest in its affairs. A letter, written by one of the settlers to a brother in 1844 (published in the N.Z. Journal, 15/2/1845), describes the state of affairs in the settlement, and incidentally mentions Mr. Tollemache, viz., “There is much distress in the Colony on account of the non-settlement of the land claims—and a great deal through drink. I have no one to come and ask me for 3/6 per week, and no rent, or rates, or taxes, or church rates, for we have not at present got a church… Here we have so many barbers, tailors, ribbon weavers, button makers.… Please to tell
Fig. 217.—The Hon. Maria Tollemache, Marchioness of Ailesbury. By courtesy Sir Douglas Maclcan]

Fig. 217.—The Hon. Maria Tollemache, Marchioness of Ailesbury. By courtesy Sir Douglas Maclcan]

page 361 Mr. Tollemache they are not farmers, and we want farmers in a new colony. We have far too many lawyers. I believe some are going home in the same ships they came out by, Retter says he would like to see Mr. Tollemache out here in New Zealand.

Mr. Tollemache came to Wellington and lived at the corner of Abel Smith and Willis Streets. He was instrumental in financing many a settler, thus enabling them to acquire property and enjoy the fruits of their industry.

Sir Donald Maclean and he were bosom friends, and Mr. Tollemache acted as guardian to young Douglas (Sir Douglas Maclean) when he accompanied the latter to England and returned to New Zealand. (Fig. 216.)

Tollemache, Hon. Maria, sister to the Hon. Algernon, purchased sections 105, 312, 434 and 763; other members of the family, Hon. F. J. and Hon. C. C. were also original buyers. The Hon. Maria became the Marchioness of Ailesbury. (Fig. 217.)

Travers, William Thomas Locke, F.L.S., born 1819, educated in France. Lieut. British Legion of Spain, Carlist War, 1835–38, Law 1844; arrived Nelson 1849. At Wellington 1869 (Gen. Assembly). Associated with Messrs. Ludlam, Sir Jas. Hector and Hon. Mr. Mantell in Botanical Garden affairs. A founder of the N.Z. Institute. One of the first Board of Governors of Wellington College. Captain (unattached) 1869. (Fig. 256.)

Viard, Right Rev. Dr. Philip, Catholic Bishop of Wellington. An address was presented to Bishop Viard by his congregation and friends on Sunday, May 12th, 1850. Mr. McManaway was in the chair, and assured him of their respect, loyalty and affection. (Fig. 235.) (A. and N.Z. Gazette, 1850, p. 58).

Von Tempsky, Major Gustavus F., of No. 2 Company Forest Rangers. 1863. An illustration elsewhere in the book shows the uniform of this famous company, of whose services a full description is recorded in James Cowan's “New Zealand Wars,” Vol. I., p. 259, and from which an extract is given as follows:—“Their arms comprised a breach-loading calisher and Terry carbine, a fine shot revolver, and in Von Tempsky's company, a bowie knife with a blade 10in. or 12in. in length. Von Tempsky took an intense interest in teaching the men the use of the bowie knife. Gripped in the left hand (the right was for the revolver) with a blade along the arm.

“…Von Tempsky was a master of the weapon, the use of which he had learnt in Spanish America in guerilla warfare. In instructing, he challenged any to stab him, and demonstrated his perfect ability to defend himself. The knife could also be thrown with such deadly effect, being so heavy, and useful for slashing a way through the supplejacks and other undergrowths in the trackless bush.”1 Major Von Tempsky was killed in action, September, 1868.2 (Figs. 264 and 265.) (N.Z. Wars, p. 198, Vol. II., and Dict, of Australasian Bio., p. 484.)

Wallace, James, was a property owner at Thorndon in the early days, and resided with his wife, formerly Miss Wild, at the top of Bolton Street.

page 362

When the Government announced its intention of not proceeding with the Manawatu Railway Line (about 1880) Mr. Wallace and Mr. John Plimmer made preliminary steps to form a railway company. The former also travelled through the country districts with very encouraging results. Mr. Wallace was one of the directors of the Wellington-Manawatu Railway Company for many years. (Fig. 191.)

Wallace, William Vincent, born 1815. Son of S. Wallace, bandmaster of the 17th Regiment, stationed in Sydney, N.S.W. In 1835 he turned from music to bush life in New South Wales. Then travelled professionally through the Australasian colonies, was made prisoner in New Zealand by a band of Maoris, who would have promptly murdered him but for the interposition of the chief's daughter. He also went on a whaling voyage with a native crew, who mutinied, when he had another very narrow escape from losing his life. His health, which had been the cause of his abandonment of music, having improved, he went to India, South America, Mexico, and the United States, returning to London in 1845, where he completed his opera “Maritana” (which, it is mentioned elsewhere, was commenced in Wellington—see article “Barrett's Hotel”). Other compositions were “Matilda of Hungary,” “Amber Witch,” “Lurline,” “Love's Triumph,” and “The Desert Flower.” He went to Paris in 1864, and died on October 12th, 1865. (Dict. Australasian Biog., p. 490.)

Ward, Charles, the writer's father, was born at the Isle of Man, 1819; educated in England and Germany. Arrived, “Lord Wm. Bentick,” 1841. Joined Customs Department. Officer of Militia in Maori Wars, Pauatahanui engagement, and in charge of a squad that hanged a rebel Maori (1846). Chief Clerk and Customs, 1866. Lived at the corner of The Terrace and Ghuznee Street at that time, when the writer was born. Died at Christ-church, 1887, buried at Barbadoes Street Cemetery, Christchurch. (Fig. 192.)

Wi Tako Ngatata (The Hon.), of Wellington, a chief of Ngatiawa and Taranaki, succeeded Wharepouri as the chief Rangitira of the Ngatiawa about the year 1842. (Fig. 48, p. 155.)

The “Evening Post” of the 10th November, 1887, comments on his career thus:—“During the whole of his life he adhered strictly to the dying injunction of that celebrated fighting chief, Wharepouri, that his people (Taonga) were to live together in peace. On his own deathbed Wi Tako's last words to his friends were: ‘After my death lean upon the law and the Scripture as your father,’ thus, in effect, repeating the charge laid upon him in 1842 by his predecessor.

“On the outbreak of hostilities in the Hutt, Wi Tako took command of the friendly natives, and succeeded in driving the rebel chief Rangihaeata from the Hutt to a place called Pouawha, about midway between Paekakariki and the station known as Wainui, a couple of miles beyond.

“After peace was declared the late Chief was appointed a Native Assessor, and in that capacity assisted Sir Donald McLean materially in the purchase of several large blocks of land, including nearly all the whole of Hawkes Bay.

“In 1872 he was called to the Legislative Council, where, by his quiet and courtly demeanour, he soon won the respect of his fellow Councillors.

“The hon. gentleman, who was 86 years of age, had been twice married, and had two daughters and one son” (Mrs. H. D. page 363 Bennett, Wellington and Mrs. Hapi Love are descendants).*

The “N.Z. Times,” in its issue of the 21st November, 1887, states: “The funeral of the Hon. Wi Tako Ngatata took place on Sunday afternoon, the 20th November, at Petone, with military honours. It was one of the largest that has ever taken place in the district. A detachment of the Permanent Militia, numbering about 53, under Major Messenger, were the first to proceed to the scene of the burial—leaving by the ‘Ellen Ballance’ at 1.30 p.m. The Wellington Rifles, D. Battery, and Naval Artillery were conveyed to the Lower Hutt by special train, stopping en route to pick up the Kaiwharawhara Volunteers. Major-General Sir George Whitmore, Capt. Coleman, Major Gasgoine, Capt. Anderson, Lieut.-Col. Butts (in command), Major Loveday (command of Battalion), Capt. Quick, Staff -Sgt.-Major Bell and other officers went out by the 2 p.m. train.

“On arrival at Lower Hutt, the men were formed into line and marched to the Catholic Church, the Heretaunga Light Horse joining in on the way. Numbers of people arrived from Wellington by the ‘Dispatch,’ ‘Mana,’ and ‘Colleen.’

“Punctually at 3 p.m. the procession left the residence of the deceased Chief. The coffin, covered with the Union Jack, wreaths and flowers, was conveyed to the gun carriage by a number of his countrymen. The gun carriage was then drawn by a detachment of Petone Naval Artillery. Immediately following came the chief mourners, Wihapa (cousin), and his two grand-children (Wi Tako Kuru Love, and Hapi Love). Next came twenty native women decked with willows and other green stuff; they were followed by about 150 natives, representing Ngatirakawa, Ngatitoa, Ngatiawa, Ngatikahuahine and other tribes.

“The service was rendered by His Grace Archbishop Redwood, assisted by the Rev. Fathers Sauzeau, McNamara and Lane.

“About 50 members of Parliament took part in the procession which was preceded by the Garrison Band (29), under Bandmaster Cimino. Lieut. Davy was in charge of the Petone Navals. The volunteer forces assembled were: Kaiwhara (Kaiwharawhara) Rifles, 41 (Capt. Kohn); Thorndon Rifles, 31 (Capt. Williams); Te Aro Rifles, 42 (Capt. Marshall); Newtown Rifles, 330 (Capt. Collins); Wellington Rifles, 42 (Capt. Tegner); City Guards, 39 (Capt. Hamerton); City Rifles, 40 (Capt. Collins); D. Battery of Artillery, 26 (Sgt. Robinson); Heretaunga Light Horse. 20 (Capt. Scales); Wellington Naval Artillery, 47 (Lieut. Hislop). Following came a number of the officers already mentioned, Major Atkinson (Premier), and members of House of Representatives, including Sir Wm. Fitzherbert, M.L.C. (speaker), and Sir M. O'Rourke, M.H.R. (speaker).

“Owing to some misunderstanding, the Permanent Militia, who subsequently formed the firing party, did not take part in the procession until the Hutt station was reached.

“The band played ‘Beethoven's Funeral March,’ ‘The Final Halt,’ and ‘Dead March in Saul.’

“The attendance of spectators was enormous, the road from the church to the cemetery being thronged with vehicles of all description, and pedestrians.

* Photographs of some of the descendants of Te Puni, Wi Tako Ngatata, Pomare, and Robert Park; and Barraud's original paintings of Te Puni, Wharepouri, and others, are adorning the Hall (designed as a Maori house) at Mr. Hapi Love's house, Korokoro Hill, Petone (Pito-one).

page 364

“It is estimated that there were between 4,000 and 5,000 persons present.” (Fig. 58 to 60.)

The inscription on the handsome Tombstone was much weather-worn and hard to read when the writer copied the following:—

“Wiremu Tako Ngatata, of Wellington. A Chief of Ngatiawa and Taranaki, M.L.C., N.Z., was a loyal subject of the Queen and firm friend of the Europeans, and held in high respect by both races. He died at Pito-one on the 6th day of November, 1887, aged 67.”

The name of Taniora Mana Love, 1911, and others, is engraved on the stone.

Woodward, Jonas, arrived in the “Bolton,” 1840 (Brett's Historical N.Z.), and was for a time employed by Messrs. Bethune and Hunter as Accountant, etc His address, according to the Burgess Roll, 3843, was Hawkestone Street. In 1844 he moved a resolution that the cemetery site, situated between Bolton and Sydney Streets, should not be diverted from its original purpose; this was seconded by Dr. Knox. He was Actuary for the Bank Statements (5th July, 1847); was on the Committee, as Independent Minister, of the Evangelical Alliance in 1848; Treasurer to the Committee of Management of the Mechanics Institute and Building Society, 1847–1863; Choral Society, 1863; and P.M., Freemasons during the same period.

For further references see General Index. (Fig. 221.)
Fig. 217a.—The Hon. Wiremu Tako's Funeral. The scene at the graveside at the Roman Catholic Cemetery, opposite the Railway Station, Pito-one, 1887. (See also Figures 58, 59 and 60, page 131.)

Fig. 217a.—The Hon. Wiremu Tako's Funeral. The scene at the graveside at the Roman Catholic Cemetery, opposite the Railway Station, Pito-one, 1887. (See also Figures 58, 59 and 60, page 131.)

page breakpage break

1 The “Wanganui Chronicle,” of the 4th January, 1929, mentions that Von Tempsky had for one of his orderlies, Mr. John Gillander, of Auckland. The latter enlisted at Wellington in No. 5 Division of the Armed Constabulary.

2 Mrs. N. Kettle, of Napier is a daughter of the late Major Von Tempsky.