The best part of two columns of the “Spectator,” 16th January, 1858, were devoted to two privates of the 65th Regiment, who were charged with having, on or about the 15th January, 1858, feloniously stolen, taken and carried away, a pair of “Duck trowsers,” the property of James Mears, from his premises on Lambton Quay. The punishment was made to fit the “crime.”
Another flood on the Hutt, resulting in loss of life, occurred on the 23rd January, 1858.
The Bishop of New Zealand consecrated St. Peter's Church on the 13th March, 1858. He was assisted by the Revs. A. Stock, B.A., and A. Baker, M.A. R. Taylor (Whanganui), T. B. Hutton (Hutt), and H. W. St. Hill (Hawtrey); Messrs. R. Cheesman and J. H. Wallace represented the Laity.
The election to fill the vacancies for members of the Provincial Council for Wellington, caused by the resignation of Dr. Featherston and Mr. Fitzherbert, was held on the 28th July, 1858. And a Chamber of Commerce meeting to consider the District Courts Bill, the formation of a Fire Brigade, the erection of an Inner Harbour Light, and for a steamer wharf, was held at Bethune and Hunter's (Old Custom House Street), on February 5th, 1859. Twenty-four members were present.
A correspondent to the “Independent,” writing in 1866, states:—
“The number of persons employed in the service of the New Zealand Government was equal to a regiment of soldiers at its full strength.… . The Official returns of the number of the general Government employees stood at 1,602, excluding Colonial forces, and that the amount paid them in salaries and fees was, in 1865, £193.404.”page 169