The Founders of Canterbury
Reigate, 30th June, 1849
My Dear Godley,
—In order to save time, and because I am most anxious for some useful decision about the Resolutions, I propose, instead of expecting you here on Monday, going to town on that day. I will be at Rintoul's at eleven o'clock. I write to him, begging him to be then disengaged if possible, and, if he cannot, to write to you, naming a later hour. If you do not hear from him, eleven o'clock will be the time. But, above all, I trust that you will be able to induce Adderley to come with you. All our trouble must not be page 79wasted: and there are several ways of turning it to account, whether the Australian Bill go on or not, provided we decide promptly upon one of them.
I enclose copies of some letters, which please to return to me on Monday.
The letter to Mr. Petre was read by Aglionby last Wednesday. I long ago offered to show it to J. A Smith.