Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Founders of Canterbury

Reigate, 9th October, 1849

Reigate, 9th October, 1849.

My Dear Godley,

—I see no objection to saving the point of honor and courtesy for Selwyn and his friends, provided you always state distinctty that that is what you mean. A resolution to wait till you hear from the Bishop, before you accept Port Cooper plains, would be all vere well if properly motivé. The case is, that you are thoroughly satisfied with Port Cooper—satisfied that it is by far the best place that can be got—but that having reserved the Bishop's veto in order to have the benefit of his experience and judgment in choosing a site, now, though you are sure you have got the best side, and confident that his approval must be on the way, you feel bound in courtesy to wait the little while that may be needful, in order that ween you do accept the land, you may do so with the Bishop's express sanction.

So explained, the waiting would do no harm: and you would be safe because the mere fact of your mission proves that they mean to go on at all events, though they don't say so.

Have you pointed out to Lord Lyttelton for the Coleridge party, that the breaking up of the Canterbury enterprize for the Church by Selwyn's friends, and through his objections, would be fatal to him in the South Province, and most injurious to the Church in New Zealand. It would make the Church and Bishop hated; not to mention the low motives of page 125jealousy that would be attributed to Selwyn. He would be hooted at all tbe settlements, except Auckland, which is only a camp with an ecclesiastical college.

T rejoice to find that you are proceeding with Wynter. That done contingently before you go, would be as useful as your mission in showing the thing to be real—a fact—not merely a pretty fancy of some nice lords and gentlemen, which is all that it is at present.

P.S.—Francis Baring will be in London next Monday morning, which I have told him will be soon enough for conceraing measures with Lord Lyttelton as to a protest, or whatever else they may choose to do. Their honor and credit are concerned in doing something of that kind. It would be very good if you could arrange for a conference between Association and Company on Monday, for disposing of all the points. Baring will be ripe for such a meeting, and will come io London for no other purpose.