The Founders of Canterbury
Reigate, 5th October, 1849
My Dear Godley,
—I hope that you have been to Oxford to-day.
Yesterday, at Gravesend, I had good opportunities of learning all about passage to Sydney, &c, &c.: and I found that it will be difficult and expensive, perhaps not possible, for you to be taken up at Madeira. The opportunities of sailing from Plymouth in a first-class ship are numerous. I think you will have to go to Plymouth on the last day of October.
But all depends on Adderley and Lord Lyttelton. I wrote almost savagely to the former by this morning's post, throwing the whole responsibility on him. I am angry. You must decide on Monday the 15th. I hope that you will not, for anything, stay in London after the 31st.