Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Founders of Canterbury

C. B. Adderley, Esq. Reigate, 5th October, 1849

C. B. Adderley, Esq. Reigate, 5th October, 1849.

My Dear Sir,

—Uneasiness about Godley impels me, after much hesitation, to send you the inclosed letter from Mr. Hutt, which I received this morning.

If Godley's hands had not been tied by his personal position in the matter, we could have moved along somehow, perhaps successfully. As it is, I fear that the whole project (for the Canterbury Settlement is dependent on settling these questions before Grodley leaves London) is in danger. It appears to me impossible for Godley to remain in doubt after the 15th. If we lead him to remain in England after this month, we may be answerable for his non-recovery. I urge him continually to leave England, coute qu'il coute, before November: and if he intends doing so, he must decide on his destination by the 15th. If that be not New Zealand, his departure for some other place will put an end to the New Zealand aifair: and I am sure that now, after having been stimulated to set his heart on New Zealand, he would suffer a deep disappointment if sent to pine at Naples or Madeira.