The Spike or Victoria University College Review 1935
Last year our foundation professors were honoured: this year we welcome three new ones—and still retain two of our foundation professors.
Professor F. F. Miles.
Prof. Miles had been Assistant to Prof. Sommerville in the Department of Mathematics since 1926 and on the latter's death he was asked to carry on the Department during 1934. Because of this, and because of his wide reputation in the domain of Mathematics his professorial appointment was widely anticipated.
Passing through Otago University he went to Oxford in 1913 as a Rhodes Scholar. The War interrupted his course but finally he returned to New Zealand in 1921 taking up a position at Wangauui College. He remained there until coming to Victoria. His wide reading in such divergent subjects as Economics and Theology, and his long terms as President of the French Club show interests in no way confined to his professorial activities.
Professor J. Williams.
On the retirement of Prof. Cornish, Prof. Williams was appointed as Professor of English and New Zealand Law. A distinguished scholar of Auckland University College, he took a Travelling Scholarship in Law in 1930, and on going to Cambridge carried out research on "Section Four of the Statute of Frauds" for a Ph.D. thesis. The result of this research has been published in book form and acclaimed as an authority by the legal press. Before taking up his present position Prof. Williams was practising as a barrister in Auckland.
Professor S. L. W. Wood.
To replace Prof. F. P. Wilson in the Chair of History Prof. Wood came from the University of Sydney. His academic career began in Sydney and was continued in Oxford where he passed his M.A. (1931) besides winning several prizes and a scholarship. He returned to Sydney to become Lecturer in History. Since 1930 he has had published two histories of Australia together with numerous articles.
Among the lecturers there have been changes almost as numerous as among the professorial hierarchy.
Dr. Campbell (Otago and Edinburgh) has come from Nelson College to be Lecturer in Mathematics. He is to be commended on his attempt to extend a knowledge of the method mathematical among the less enlightened searchers in the Science Department.
At the end of last year Dr. Wildman, lecturer in Zoology, returned to Leeds to continue his wool research. During his two years' stay at Victoria he was responsible for rejuvenating the Natural History Society and did much to encourage field work of every sort.
Another departure was that of Mr. L. C. King, lecturer in Geology, who has gone to the University of Natal. During his four years at Victoria he was one of the most popular members of the staff. Besides publishing several geological papers and conducting a survey in Marlborough he was an excellent 'cellist, father of the Chess Club, and Vice-President of the Harrier Club.