The Spike or Victoria University College Review 1935
Professor S. L. W. Wood
Professor S. L. W. Wood.
To replace Prof. F. P. Wilson in the Chair of History Prof. Wood came from the University of Sydney. His academic career began in Sydney and was continued in Oxford where he passed his M.A. (1931) besides winning several prizes and a scholarship. He returned to Sydney to become Lecturer in History. Since 1930 he has had published two histories of Australia together with numerous articles.
Among the lecturers there have been changes almost as numerous as among the professorial hierarchy.
Dr. Campbell (Otago and Edinburgh) has come from Nelson College to be Lecturer in Mathematics. He is to be commended on his attempt to extend a knowledge of the method mathematical among the less enlightened searchers in the Science Department.
At the end of last year Dr. Wildman, lecturer in Zoology, returned to Leeds to continue his wool research. During his two years' stay at Victoria he was responsible for rejuvenating the Natural History Society and did much to encourage field work of every sort.
Another departure was that of Mr. L. C. King, lecturer in Geology, who has gone to the University of Natal. During his four years at Victoria he was one of the most popular members of the staff. Besides publishing several geological papers and conducting a survey in Marlborough he was an excellent 'cellist, father of the Chess Club, and Vice-President of the Harrier Club.