Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Spike or Victoria University College Review 1934

Tramping Club

Tramping Club

During the past year, the activities of the Club have been steadily maintained. The usual series of energetic week-end trips were carried out at the conclusion of the examinations, outstanding among these being the visit to the Wharepapa and the crossing of the range north of Papatahi to the Orongorongo. The two Xmas trips to the Spenser Mountains, and Pelorous Sound, respectively were particularly well patronised. Eleven members proceeded up the Wairau Valley to the Rainbow River where a base camp was established at a height of 3000 feet. Five of the party completed a 3 day round trip from the Begley over the Main Divide to the Travers from where a high saddle led into the Sabine. The Main Divide was then recrossed into the Rainbow. After following down the Clarence to Lake Tennyson a detour was made to the Waiau, the tramping portion of the trip finishing at Hanmer. Bad weather prevented any attempt on the peaks of the district, snow falling unusually low for the season.

Fred Eggers ably captained his team of 30 into the quiet shelters of Tuna Bay, Pelorous Sound in the environs of which many spent the best holiday of their lives. The manifold attractions which the Sounds offer their visitors were exploited to the full, launch and track carrying all rapidly through the 10 days. Mt. McLaren was ascended by the whole party but an attempt of similar strength on Mt. Stokes was broken off a short distance from the summit by bad weather. The afternoon and night attack upon Havelock will be remembered for long by both visitors and inhabitants. Six of the party completed the trip by descending into the Rai Valley over McLaren Peak and travelling to Nelson via the Mangatapu Track.

During Anniversary week-end C. J. Read led nine optimists from Eketahuna to Levin via Schormann's track, Ruapai Dundas and Te Makawai Hut. A westerly cloudbank precluded any chance of a view on the Sunday but the descent of the Ohau river was very pleasant under a belated sun.

Shortly afterwards C. J. Read and brother did some very snappy work in the Hermitage district a record ascent of Mt. Cook being the most outstanding achievement. About the same time W. and R. J. Scott broke new ground in a first ascent of Dan Peak in the Lord Range.

Easter was passed quiedy at Kapiti by the official party, four girls shaming erstwhile energetic males by a spirited crossing of the Tararuas via Crawford, the Waiohine-iti and McGregor.

The approach of winter aroused the usual hopes of splendid snow trips in the Tararuas and during a July weekend 24 trampers carrying memories of better afternoons and healthier weather reports trekked up to Field Hut. Conditions on the Sunday were such that 6 only braved a strong westerly for the doubtful satisfaction of treading on the summit of Hector.

The Winter crossing people were far more fortunate in their choice of a weekend. A starlight night made the long stretches of the Marchant bearable for a few, while a cloudless morning carried promise of a successful day. Snow conditions were on the whole excellent and frequent; stops were made out of respect for a view extending from Egmont and Ruapehu to the Kaikouras.

During August, 16 individuals waving the flag of the Victoria College Tramping Club visited National Park. Claude Coup was in charge and overcame, after a hard struggle, the demoralization that seems to overtake trampers when too close to the charms of civilization. Much ground was covered, the most enterprising trip being a 2½ day excursion to the Mangatepopo Hut from where Ngauruhoe and Tongariro were climbed. Good snow conditions were encountered on the former peak but Tongariro called for much axe work from the leader. The six who did the round trip were amply rewarded for their energy. Ketetahi besides being taken in the stride of the six was visited by the main body. Tokaanu held a strange attraction for some, a car load twice visiting this far off haven. On the last day Jean Shallcrass and Chris made a strenuous traverse of Ruapehu to the Ohalcune Hut, under soft snow conditions rejoining the homeward party in the train.