Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Spike or Victoria University College Review, June 1927

Twenty-Third Annual Inter-'Varsity Tournament. — Held at Auckland. 1927

page 33

Twenty-Third Annual Inter-'Varsity Tournament.

Held at Auckland. 1927.

Our Team.


100 Yards F. S. Hill, J. D. Mackay,
220 Yards F. S. Hill, J. D. Mackay.
440 Yards C. B. Allan, E. B. Smith.
880 Yards C. B. Allan, A. D. Priestley
1 Mile A. D. Priestley, G. W. Gilchrist.
3 Miles A. D. Priestley, G. W. Gilchrist.
1 Mile Walk T. P. Rollings, J. F. Platts-Mills.
120 Yards Hurdles W. G. Kalaugher, R. I. M. Sutherland.
440 Yards Hurdles G. J. Sceats, R. I. M. Sutherland.
Long Jump W. G. Kalaugher, J. D. Mackay.
High Jump G. J. Sceats, W. G. Kalaugher,
Putting the Shot J. F. Platts-Mills, R. I. M. Sutherland
Throwing the Hammer. No representative.


  • Men's Singles: R. Mc L. Ferkins, B. R. O'Brien.
  • Men's Doubles: R. Mc L. Ferkins and B. R. O'Brien; C. E. Scott and F. H. Paul.
  • Ladies' Singles: Misses O. M. Sheppard, M. Cameron.
  • Ladies' Doubles: Misses O. M. Sheppard and M. Cameron; M. Goodwin and M. Briggs.
  • Combined Doubles: Miss Sheppard and Ferkins; Miss Cameron and Scott.


Featherweight: W. E. Wilson.
Lightweight: C. B. Richardson.
Welterweight: W. S. Harris.
Middleweight: E. E. Chamberlain.
Heavyweight: J. F. Platts-Mills.


  • Misses M. Maclaurin, E. C. J. Park, I. Scarfe, M. Thew, M. Carty, Z. Ramsay, D. Roberts, N. Page, and O. M. Sheppard.


  • J. F. Platts-Mills and W. P. Rollings.


  • G. E. Parker, C. Walpole, H. V. Scott, I. Macarthur, H. F. Bollard, C. Wylie, R. Grant, O. J. Richardson.

Tournament Delegates:

  • L. A. Tracy and F. H. Paul.
page 34

The Southern Teams arrived in Wellington per S.S. "Maori" on Thursday morning, April 14th. Their advent was very quiet as also was their welcome. The reason for this quietness was good in each case. The travellers had had a very rough trip, and quite a few experienced considerable difficulty in getting up to see Wellington. Therefore, as has already been said, their advent was quiet. Their welcome was quiet because there were but four from "Wikitoria" to greet them. One wonders if this might not have been an opportunity for the "Haeremai" Club. If it was it was not accepted.

The lack of guides caused some inconvenience in transporting the visitors to breakfast, and some of Canterbury University College's Basketball players were lost for a short time before they finally enjoyed the hospitality of the "Trocadero." Having enjoyed (we hope) their breakfast, the members of the Otago and Canterbury teams were left to their own resources. In this respect we are indebted to the officials of the University Club for placing the use of their rooms at the disposal of the male members of these teams.

At 3.80 p.m. the Otago and Canterbury representatives, together with the Victoria Team departed in the Express for Auckland. The journey was much like other train journeys, the only consolation being the longer you had been in the train, the nearer you were to the end. At the various stops on the way up, members of the teams alighted, either to imbibe refreshment or to entertain the inhabitants with song and dance. Otherwise nothing occurred to break the monotony of the journey. Of course, most people attempted to sleep for at least part of the time; some succeeded, most did not, and consequently when the train reached Auckland about 10 o'clock next day, the travellers all looked pretty tired. The Aucklanders had made splendid arrangements, and in a very short time the visitors were allotted to their billets.

On Friday afternoon the visitors were welcomed to Auckland by the Mayor of that City. The ceremony took place after the photograph of the representatives had been taken, and as it was held in the Hall of the New Auckland University College, members of the Southern Teams had an opportunity of inspecting the Auckland Students' new quarters. The more one saw of the new College, the more one liked it. The Students' block in particular, took the fancy. One could not help but think that if the Auckland University College Profesorial Board should ever deem it necessary to "punish" the students by closing the Common Room, their action would at least have the virtue of being a punishment, and not almost a relief. Saturday saw the commencement of the Tournament proper. The Tennis and Boxing preliminaries were held in the morning, some of the Tennis semi-finals in the afternoon and the Boxing finals in the evening. On Sunday afternoon a fleet of cars conveyed members of the Tournament Teams through the Domain Drive and Ellerslie Gardens to One Tree Hill, where afternoon tea was indulged in, and sundry songs and "hakas" given. Victoria as usual failed in the "Hakas" but her representatives and supporters made page 35 up in other varieties of noise. This is still another chance for the Haeremai Club. Victoria University College does want a "Haka."

On Monday the Basketball, Athletics and Debate all took place, the last named, however, only after the Auckland Town Hall Concert Chamber had been cleared of students. It is most unfortunate that students look on the Debate, not as a "Contest," but as an opportunity for a display of alleged "wit" and noise. This year some would be "humourist" even went to the length of bombarding the judges with tomatoes. We are pleased to be able to report that this "gentleman" does not belong to Victoria.

On Tuesday the finals of the Tennis, and the Ball in the evening brought the Tournament to a close, and then on Wednesday night came the sad farewells. The Auckland students are certainly to be congratulated upon the way they conducted the Tournament. Aided by good behaviour on the part of the weather, everything went splendidly and all members of the visiting teams were sorry to leave Auckland.

Before setting out the detailed results of the Tournament, Victoria University College's congratulations are extended to Auckland University College on winning the Tournament Shield, the shield of the Tournament. The following are the details of the points for the Tournament Shield:—

Auckland Otago Victoria Canterbury Athletics 3 4 7 1 Boxing 3 1/2 3 1/2 0 0 Tennis 4 1 0 1 Shooting 4 1 0 0 Debating 0 1 0 1 Basketball 1 0 0 0 15 1/2 10 1/2 7 3

It is to be hoped that students will carefully consider the above results and realise that it is time that Victoria University College did something in all the sports and not leave it to the Athletic Team to save the College Reputation. The Tournament Shield Competition was inaugurated in 1923, with the following results:—

  • 1923 won by Otago University
  • 1924 won by Otago University
  • 1925 won by Otago University
  • 1926 won by Canterbury University College
  • 1927 won by Auckland University College

Students should make up their minds that 1928 will read "Won by Victoria University College." To do this, the College Clubs should get busy now and not leave the whole matter to be arranged three or four weeks before Easter. The Boxing and page 36 Basketball Teams should from now onward be training and recieving good coaching. There are plenty of past students of the College still interested in the College, and they would, if approached, be only too willing to give every assistance. The Debating team should be elected shortly, when they would no doubt be able to receive the name of the subject for Debate next year. The Tennis and Shooting teams should be practising every Saturday, so that when Easter comes round, every representative will be in good form.

Result Sheet.


1st. 2nd Time
100 Yds. L. C. Williams (A), J. J. Brownlee (O), 10 1/5 sec.
220 Yds. L. C. Williams (A), J. J. Brownlee (O), 22 4/5 sec.
440 Yds. C. B. Allan (V), E. B. Smith (V), 53 sec.
880 Yds. C. B. Allan (V), A. D. Priestley (V), 2min. 2 4/5 sec.
1 Mile A. D. Priestley (V), E. B. Taylor (C), 4 m. 2 4/5 s. (Rec.).
3 Miles E. B. Taylor (C), R. Tizard (A), 15 min. 41 sec.
120 Yds. H. W. G. Kalaugher (V), H. D. Morgan (O), 16 2/5 sec.
440 Yds. H. H. D. Morgan (O), L. Douglas (O), 61 3/5 sec.
High Jump G. J. Sceats (V), W. Kalaugher (V), 5ft. 11in. (Record).
Long Jump W. Kalaugher (V), J. H. Tetley (C), 21ft. 9 1/4in.
Shot H. L. Grey (A), H. D. Morgan (O), 35ft. 8 1/4in.
Hammer J. L. Dimond (O), G. P. Wilson (O), 116ft. 5 1/4in.
1 Mile Walk G. S. Cabot (O), J. Platts-Mills (V), 7 min. 12 sec.
Relay Otago, Victoria, 3min. 48 1/5 sec.


Auckland v. Otago Auckland 50—9
Victoria v. Canterbury Victoria 36—18
Auckland v. Victoria Auckland 78—38


  • Joynt Scroll—Otago,
  • Beat Speaker—A. L. Haslam (C).


Men's Singles: F. R. Chisholm (O).
Men's Doubles: V. Hubble and A. Nicholson (A).
Ladies' Singles: Miss E. E. Miller (A).
Ladies' Doubles: Miss E. E. Miller and J. M. Mueller (A).
Combined Doubles: Miss E. Scott and C. J. M. Hunter (C)


Bantamweight C. V. Rickard (A)
Featherweight D. N. Ferguson (O)
Lightweight L. T. Henderson (A)
Welterweight L. Cotter (O)
Middleweight J. C. Willis (A)
Heavyweight J. S. Batchelor (O)


Practice Auckland Otago Canterbury
200 Yds. App. 178 171 171
200 Yds. Snap 136 123 131
300 Yds. Rapid 296 259 240
500 Yds. App. 216 224 210
Total 826 777 761

Athletic Shield: Victoria. Tournament Shield, Auckland.

Tennis Cup: Auckland. Athol Hudson Cup: E. B. Taylor.

Boxing Shield: (Auckland). Ladies Cup: W. G. Kalaugher.

Boxing Shield: (Otago). Trevor Hull Mem. Sd., G. J. Sceats.

Shooting Shield: Auckland. De La Mere Cup. A. D. Priestley.

Joynt Scroll: (Otago). Sievwright Cup: G. S. Cabot.

page 37


Last year Victoria University College left home with a very strong team, with the intention of wresting the Athletic Shield from Otago. This was duly accomplished, the team scoring a record number of points.

This year with a slightly weaker team, we travelled North to defend it, but with the determination that we would not be beaten.

The competition was of the keenest and some sterling performances were witnessed. At the end of the day's sport, the score sheet showed the points as follows:—

Victoria, 17; Otago, 15; Auckland, 6; Canterbury, 3.

Easter Monday dawned a day to delight the heart of every athlete. There was a very light southerly breeze blowing across a warm and cloudless sky, and the track was in the best of condition. It was predicted that some of the records would be bettered and so it proved.

In the morning the mile record was lowered by Priestly, who ran a great race. In the sprint home, he had Taylor of Canterbury, who was a hot favourite, beaten all the way. The time, 4 mins. 26 2/5th seconds should stand for some considerable time unless he himself lowers it again next year.

Sceats, as was expected showed his true form in the high jump with the magnificent jump of 5 feet 11 inches, just failing at a subsequent attempt, to clear 6 feet 1in. He was jumping long after the other competitors had finished and ever and anon he drank from a bottle. The spectators speculated what it contained and as to whether it was the drink that made him jump or the jump that made him drink. None solved the problem.

Kalaugher was second in this event, while he won the long jump. In the 120 yards hurdles he ran well to defeat Morgan and gain an easy win.

Rollings and Platts-Mills did well in the mile walk but unfortunately in the excitement of the last lap, Rollings was disqualified; however Platts-Mills gained second place.

We filled all places in both the half and quarter mile events. Allan won both with characteristic dash; Priestly coming second in the former and Smith second in the latter.

In the relay race, as last year, we were disappointed, and the result goes to prove that it is essential to have a fresh man to run the half-mile. Otago established a big lead in this distance, and although we recovered a lot of ground in the other distances, we could only finish second about ten yards behind.

In conclusion a word of praise is due to Mr. E. V. Dunbar for his excellent advice which assisted in no small measure in the winning of the Shield.


On Easter Monday morning Basketball matches commenced by a game between Auckland and Otago. From the very first, the Auckland team showed their superiority in every department of the game. Strong combination and quick passing were too much for the Southern girls who were defeated by 50—9.

page 38

The next match was between Canterbury and Victoria. In the first spell Victoria played well, proving to Canterbury that combination and quick passing are more successful than their long slow throws which were too easily intercepted by the Victoria girls. Although the second spell was less scientific and rather too much of a scramble, Victoria continued to keep the lead. The score was Victoria 36, Canterbury 18.

The final was then played between Auckland and Victoria. Victoria opened brilliantly, scoring two goals in quick succession, but Auckland soon rallied, and from then on, their marvellous combination and science—the result of good training—showed up clearly. Towards the end, Victoria played up well with a determined effort, but failed to make up the score sufficiently, and the match finished with Auckland leading 78 to 38.


The boxers who represented Victoria University College this year, all gave sterling exhibitions—sterling considering the time they have been at the game and their experience in open boxing.

There was one disappointing feature, however, and that was the obvious lack of training in most cases. In boxing as in all things athletic, championship honours come only to those who desire to be champions. On the surface this may appear a mere truism. It is. But the point is that a man must put training before other pleasures. He must make time for it. The more he does, the more fascinating it will become. There is no pleasure more pleasing than being perfectly fit. There is an excuse for lack of skill. There is none for lack of training.

The Otago team was a model of fitness for the other colleges. We must remedy this fault of ours before next Tournament.

Wilson. (Featherweight) won his preliminary from Stubbs as a result of a good straight left, and the occasional use of a right cross. In the final his opponent was too clever—and too fit—for him and he lost, despite an improved showing on his morning's performance.

Richardson. (Lightweight) won his preliminary in attractive style. The final saw him evading beautifully in the first two rounds in which the only blemish was failure to go into his man and make the fight. Round three saw this failure corrected and he landed some telling left-rights. Round four saw this repeated and his opponent was floored by a nicely timed right swing, after which he was very groggy. Richardson stood off, not wishing to pummel his much distressed opponent—true 'Varsity spirit. The decision in the Auckland man's favour was inexplicable and met with an unfavourable reception.

Harris. (Welterweight) lost his preliminary after a close and well-fought contest.

Chamberlain. (Middleweight) lost to a more experienced boxer, but gave a good exhibition and was by no means disgraced.

page 39

Platts-Mills, (Heavyweight), was too slow on his feet and with his punch, and lost, but only by a small margin.

After a little retrospection we may say that the Tournament bouts provided our new men with excellent experience and the benefit of this should see them very close in at the death next year.


Though none of last year's champions were in Auckland this year to defend their titles yet the matches which were played on Saturday and Tuesday at the Stanley Street Courts, produced Tennis of a very high standard. The control of the Tournament was good and the weather behaved itself, so everything went without a hitch.

Early on Saturday morning a start was made with the singles matches, and Victoria's main hope in the men's event—namely R. Ferkins had a stern struggle with Nicholson of Auckland. Nicholson is one of those disconcerting players who never know when they are beaten, and by means of his speed in covering the court, and an awkward looking push stroke, he returns many seemingly impossible balls. During the first set Nicholson made some wonderful recoveries and as Ferkins did not, during this set, finish off the rallies with his customary accuracy, the Auckland player pressed him all the way. However, the first set went to Ferkins, 8-6, and in the second set Nicholson began to tire. The Wellington player had by this time played himself in, and was finding the side lines and corners with remarkable consistency. Consequently Ferkins had very little difficulty in winning this set 6-2.

In the second round Ferkins had to meet Hunter of Canterbury. This player who is one of the hard hitting type, plays a very pretty game, but the Victoria man was too consistent for him. Ferkins contented himself with playing a defensive game and really allowed Hunter to beat himself. The score were 6-3; 6-2.

Victoria's second string, B. R. O'Brien met Chisholm of Otago in the first round, and, not finding his true form went down rather easily 6-4; 6-1. Chisholm, however, is a very much improved player, as was evidenced by his defeat of Ferkins in the final. His chief assets are a good service, a steady drive of good length, with which he finds the side lines with splendid accuracy and a severe smash.

At the commencement of the final on Tuesday afternoon the hopes of Victoria's supporters were high, for last thing in the morning, Ferkins had shown brilliant form in winning the Combined Doubles semi-final against Hardy and Miss Mueller of Auckland. Chisholm, however, quickly settled on to his game, and by good services and steady driving he won the first set 6-3. Ferkins was unable to make his first service function and the length and consistency of Chisholm's drives prevented him from gaining the net, from which position he usually makes his winning shots.

page 40

In the second set Ferkins rallied and as Chisholm went off slightly, the second set went to the Wellington man 6-3. In the third set, however, Chisholm again steadied, and by sound tennis outplayed Ferkins and won the third set 6-2.

In the women's singles, Miss Cameron of Victoria put up a sterling performance against Miss Miller of Auckland. In the first set Miss Miller played nearly everything to Miss Cameron's backhand, but in this department Miss Cameron showed wonderful steadiness and on several occasions scored clean aces with her backhand. The Wellington girl seized every opportunity of going for aces and won the first set 6-2 with good tennis. In the second and third sets, however, Miss Miller's well-known steadiness prevailed, the Auckland player winning both, the scores being 6-3; 6-1. Miss Cameron however, gained the distinction of being the only player in the Tournament to take a set from Miss Miller, who eventually won the Women's Singles' Championship for Auckland.

Miss Sheppard who was Victoria's first string was defeated by Miss Whitelaw of Auckland 6-4; 6-1.

In the Men's Doubles both Victoria's pairs were eliminated in the first round; Ferkins and O'Brien met Watson and Earle, who though classed as the second Otago pair, were probably a stronger combination than Chisholm and Mercer. A good contest resulted with the issue in doubt right up to the finish. The brilliance of Earl's play was probably the deciding factor in this match which was won by the Otago pair 6-1; 5-7; 7-5.

Scott and Paul were put out by the first Otago pair, Chisholm and Mercer, a match which was devoid of interest since the issue was never in doubt. Scott played well, but Paul failed to strike form, save in patches. The Otago pair won 6-3; 6-1.

The Ladies Doubles saw two Auckland pairs fight out the final. Misses Sheppard and Cameron won their first match against Misses Richards and Armstrong (Canterbury University College) 6-2; 6-5, but were defeated in the semi-final by Misses Whitelaw and Brownlee (Auckland University College) 6-4; 6-1. Misses Goodwin and Briggs, our second pair were defeated by Misses Scott and Jones (Canterbury University College) 6-1; 5-6; 6-2 after a good fight.

In the Combined Doubles, a Victoria pair, Miss Sheppard and Ferkins were runners-up. They won the first match against the second Canterbury pair fairly easily 6-3; 6-2, and after losing the first set to Hardy and Miss Mueller 1-6, by brilliant play on the part of Ferkins they won the second and third sets 7-5; 6-1.

In the final they were defeated by Hunter and Miss Scott of Canterbury 6-3; 6-2 after a good game. This Canterbury pair met and defeated Scott and Miss Cameron, 6-4; 6-1 in the first round.

So the conclusion of the Tennis found Otago with the Men's Singles Championship and Canterbury with the Combined Doubles Championship while Auckland with both the Women's and Men's Doubles, and also the Women's Singles Championships, were the winners of the Tennis Cup.

page break
V.U.C. Athletic Team, Winners Athletic Shield, 1927 Tournament. Photo by Vinsen.

V.U.C. Athletic Team, Winners Athletic Shield, 1927 Tournament. Photo by Vinsen.

page 41

One point stands out, Victoria's Doubles representatives must get more practice together. It is useless for a doubles pair to go to a Championship Tournament having had little or no practice together, and yet that is what Victoria's representatives try to do. It is little wonder that our doubles teams meet with such scant success.


This year's debate took place in the Concert Chamber of the Town Hall before two successive audiences. The usual uproar and catcalling greeted Mr. E. H. Northcroft, the Chairman, when he took the platform and explained in brief lulls between rounds of applause, that if the competitors were not given a fair field, the contest would be called off "just as any other sporting event would be."

In the next pause the Chairman said "the subject of the debate is 'that the British Empire is in danger of disintegration'." The applause shook the building and there was sobbing and screaming.

Otago and Canterbury debated first, Mr. F. M. Hanan leading off for Otago. "The sacred duty of the British Commonwealth" and the "facts of the economic situation" engaged his earnest attention, and his fluency seemed undeterred by the general racket.

Miss Molly Carrington opened for Canterbury. Her clear soprano made splendid headway against the noise, and several of her remarks were quite easily heard in the audience. Cutting reference to "what all educated people of the Colleges learn" was drowned by cries of "all Canterbury tales."

At about this stage the usual comic turn with rolls of toilet-paper was reproduced, and the disorderly element gained the upper hand. The Chairman's vigorous appeal for order met with thunderous applause and voluminous laughter, but very little success, which all goes to prove that nobody is capable of handling a crowd of students out for an evening's entertainment, as a firmer and more tactful chairman than Mr. Northcroft, the Tournament Committee could not have discovered.

Mr. M. W. Wilson, Otago's second string seemed unable to make himself heard, according to the complaints of the newspapers the next day. "The Sun" confided to its readers that he was "evidently labouring over carefully thought out periods." We are not in a position either to contradict or to confirm this happy suggestion.

The last speaker for Canterbury, Mr. A. L. Haslam of 1926 fame, was getting into his stride when the hall-doors opened and the crowning scene of the piece began. A crocodile entered and marched steadily and silently down the aisle. At the Chairman's peremptory command to halt, it wavered for an instant; but its morale was good and it kept bravely on. As it passed the stage three or four dazed hens were adroitly flung up amidst the Chairman and speakers, and fluttered and squawked about in high confusion. The whole audience sat back and drank in the scene.

page 42

This achievement, however, completely outdid the perfomances to date of the gallery, and not to be easily disposed of, the gentlemen up aloft produced matured tomatoes from their hats and commenced a bombardment at the procession. The Judges suffered. Messrs. J. Stanton and H. J. D. McMahon and Rev. W. G. Monckton, the Judges, hastily gathered together their papers, and retreated swiftly to the wings, but not before several direct hits had been recorded.

At this unfortunate episode, Mr. Northcroft immediately closed down the debate and asked students and audience to leave the Hall. Ten minutes passed in confused clamour, and the students noisily departed. Most of the audience seemed to have had their evening's enjoyment and put on their hats and disappeared into Queen Street. But a subdued few were re-admitted to the Hall and the debate continued.

The transformation was rather startling and neither speakers nor judges seemed quite to recover from the shock of the preceeding events. The hush that greeted Messrs. N. A. Leonard and S. Black for Auckland, and Messrs. J. F. Platts-Mills and W. P. Rollings for Victoria gave the proceedings the air of a religious ceremony of the highest degree of solemnity. It was probably rivalled in point of uniqueness as accompaniment to a Tournament Debate only by the shameful discourtesy which had been accorded to the Judges.

The expected arguments appeared on each side. Victoria's opponents did not in the smallest measure desire the downfall of the Empire; but there were certain disquieting features: Bolshevism, Ireland, disruptive definitions of Empire produced by Imperial Conferences, Mr. Ramsay Macdonald—one could not venture to prophesy, of course, but still—there was "a danger," undoubtedly there was "a danger."

The Victoria University College claimed that the Empire had always been in danger according to the Cassandras, but their forebodings were not better founded to-day than they were this time a hundred years ago. The Dominions were substantially independent (authority: Lord Balfour) and had nothing further to gain by departing from the Commonwealth of British Nations. London was still the financial centre of the world and Imperial preference was a firm tie.

Somewhat ruffled and with one of their number besmattered with fragments of tomato, the Judges announced that Otago had won the Joynt Scroll, Auckland was second, and Mr. Haslam of Canterbury was the best speaker.

Of the happy little dinner party at Milne & Choyce's on Tuesday, of the coffee and sandwiches after the debate, we need not tell here; but the utmost credit is due to Mr. A. B. Thompson and his band of helpers for the most complete arrangements within recent memory, and we join with them in regretting the single unfortunate incident that marred the effect of their efforts.

page 43

Haslam Shield — Shooting

Although a part of the Tournament it is to be very much regretted that Victoria's team this year was disqualified. In fairness to all the members of the shooting team and especially to H. V. Scott it is only right that the position should be recorded in the "Spike."

Five days before the date fixed for the firing of the match by the Victoria University College Team, the Tournament Delegates were informed that H. V. Scott was over age. This student however, had four years war service to his credit, and the delegates considered that for Tournament purposes Scott should be allowed to deduct the period of his war service from his age. There had been several cases similar to Scott's in which this procedure had been followed. V.U.C.'s delegates wrote to the delegates of the other Colleges giving full particulars and requesting them to admit H. V. Scott as eligible, at the same time pointing out that an early reply was desired since the date for the firing of the Haslam Shield Match by the V.U.C. Team was Saturday, 9th April. Replies were received from Auckland and Canterbury agreeing to Scott's inclusion in the team, but by the morning of the firing of the match, no reply had been received from Otago, though it would have been quite possible for them to have replied. Under the circumstances V.U.C.'s delegates interpreted Otago's silence as giving consent and instructed the Rifle Club to include Scott in the team. Later Otago intimated, by a letter written in Dunedin on the 8th, the day before the date fixed for the shooting, and with hardly a possibility of reaching Wellington before the 10th, that they would not agree to Scott, and though the V.U.C.'s delegates brought the matter up again at the Delegates' meeting, Otago adhered to their original decision, and consequently the V.U.C. Haslam Shield Team was disqualified. It should be remembered that the Otago Delegates had received V.U.C.'s letter on the Wednesday, but did not have the courtesy to reply until the Friday, although they were expressly asked in the letter for an urgent reply. Even if they had sent a telegram on the Friday that would have been sufficient; V.U.C.'s delegates would not have objected to paying for the telegram if Otago had sent it "Collect," but to adhere to their decision when they realised, that is if they did realise it, that the disqualification of our Team was due to their neglect, is scarcely believeable—but there it is. The disqualification was particularly regrettable because one member of our Team, G. E. Parker top scored in the Competition and was consequently entitled to a New Zealand University Blue for shooting, until the team was disqualified, when to make matters worse, an Otago man was granted the Blue, as he gained second top score. V.U.C.'s delegates wish to make it quite clear that they do not blame anybody but the Otago delegates for the most unfortunate position. V.U.C.'s delegates cannot under the circumstances follow the Otago delegates reasoning in coming to such a decision, (perhaps our delegates are dense), especially as the decision seems to penalise a student for having served in the war.

page 44

P.S. (Y.U.C.'s Tournament delegates have been informed since the above was written that O.U.'s Haslam Shield Team has also been disqualified, the reason being that O.U.'s Tournament Delegate failed to obtain the required eligibility certificate for one of their team. This means that C.U.C. win practice 4, while G. E. Watt, (A.U.C.) with a total of 110 is deemed to be Highest Scorer, and thus qualifies for N.Z. University Blue).

The performance of the Rifle Club in the Haslam Shield Competition can hardly be called a creditable one. The poorness of the shooting may be put down to the fact that the Trentham range could not be obtained for practice prior to the match, and also to the fact that all through the past season the Club was financially poor. The coming season, however, should be a good one, as the Club is on a sound financial footing, and there are a number of young shots who show great promise.

The day of the match was good with a slight wind coming from the South. Shooting commenced at 200 yards, where good scores were produced. Snap shooting at the disc followed at 200 yards, and here the scores on the whole were not good. After that came 10 rounds rapid in 45 seconds at 300 yards, followed by deliberate at 500 yards.

The scores of the teams were as follows:—
200 200 300 500
Delib. Snap Rapid Delib. Totals.
Parker, G. E. 22 23 38 32 115
Walpole, C. 24 16 36 29 105
Scott, H. V. 22 19 30 31 102
Macarthur, I. 24 16 36 26 102
Bollard, H. F. 20 18 39 21 98
Wylie, C. 22 21 28 26 97
Grant, R, 24 0 34 24 82
Richardson, O. J. 20 5 28 21 71
The possible in this Match was 135, and in scoring 115 G. E. Parker made an excellent score, and well deserved to obtain the highest individual score in New Zealand. His scores of 23 and 36 at 200 yards and 500 yards respectively were excellent, and he is to be congratulated on his fine performance. His score card reads as follows:—
200 yards deliberate 44455 22
200 yards snap 55553 23
300 yards rapid 5555444330 38
500 yards deliberate 5555525 32

The Match was supervised by Lieutenant E. W. Clough and Sergeant-Major C. H. Kidman, and we take this opportunity of thanking them for the efficient and courteous manner in which they conducted the shooting.