Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Spike or Victoria University College Review June 1926

Twenty-Second Annual New Zealand University Tournament. — Held at Dunedin, Easter, 1926

page 24

Twenty-Second Annual New Zealand University Tournament.

Held at Dunedin, Easter, 1926.

Our Team.


100 Yards M. Leadbetter, F. S. Hill.
220 Yards M. Leadbetter, E. K. Eastwood.
440 Yards C. B. Allan, E. B. Smith.
880 Yards C. B. Allan, E. B. Smith.
1 Mile A. D. Priestley.
3 Miles A. D. Priestley.
1 Mile Walk T. P. Rollings, D. L. Jackson.
120 Yards Hurdles W. G. Kalaugher, G. J. Sceats.
440 Yards Hurdles W. G. Kalaugher, G. J. Sceats.
High Jump W. G. Kalaugher, G. J. Sceats.
Long Jump W. G. Kalaugher, G. J. Sceats.
Putting the Shot R. E. Pope.
Relay Race Allan, Smith, Eastwood, Lead-better.


Ladies Singles: Misses E. M. Madeley, O. M. Sheppard.

Ladies' Doubles: Misses E. M. Madeley and O. M. Sheppard.

Misses M. S. Goodwin and M. Metcalfe.

Men's Singles: R. McL. Perkins, B. R. O'Brien.

Men's Doubles: R. McL. Perkins and F. H. Paul. B. R. O'Brien and H. N. Burns.

Combined Doubles: Miss O. M. Sheppard and R. McL. Perkins. Miss E. M. Madeley and H. N. Burns.


Heavyweight J. F. Platts-Mills.
Middleweight G. J. Sceats.
Welterweight F. Desmond.
Lightweight G. B. Richardson
Featherweight J. K. Hunn.


H. F. Bollard, T. G. Hislop, G. E.Parker, R. O'Connor,

A. Ainslie, I. Macarthur, W. Harris, I. Bertram.


R. M. Campbell, W. P. Rollings.

Tournament Delegates:

F. H. Paul. L. A. Tracy.
page break


—Photo by Crown Studios. Wellington.

Back Row. G. J. Sceats (A and B), J. F. Platts-Mills (B.), W. G. Kalaugher (A.), H. N Burns (T.), R. E. Pope (A.).

Third Row: A. Ainslie (S.), F. Desmond (B.), E. B. Smith (A.), G. E. Parker (S.), J. K. Hunn (B.), W. P. Rollings (D.), I. H. Macarthur (S.).

Second Row: F. R. E. O'Connor (S.), R. M. Campbell (D.), E. K. Eastwood (A.), F. S. Hill (A.), M. Leadbetter (A.), T. G. Hislop (S.), B. R. O'Brien (T.).

Front Row: H. F. Bollard (S.), G. B. Richardson (B.), Miss S. Goodwin (T.), Miss E. M. Madeley (T.), L. A. Tracy (Del.), Miss O. M. Sheppard (T.), Miss M. Metcalfe (T.), F. H. Paul (T. and Del.), R. McL. Ferkins (T.).

Absent: C. B. Allan (A.), I. Bertram (S.), W. Harris (S.), D. L. Jackson (A.), A. D. Priestley (A.), T. P. Rollings (A.).

(A.) Athletics, (B.) Boxing, (D.) Debating, (S.) Shooting, (T.) Tennis, (Del.) Delegate.

page 25

The Auckland team with barrackers and camp-followers complete arrived in Wellington on Wednesday, 31st March, and spent a brief but happy afternoon in taking shelter from the autumn showers alternately in the Y.M.C.A. building and under Willis Street shop verandahs. Precisely at a quarter to eight the good ship "Wahine" moved out to the accompaniment of rather spiritless hakas, and journeyed on in her usual graceful fashion and the rain to Lyttelton, where further rain awaited the travellers. Still more rain and an excellent breakfast comprised the chief items of interest during our fifty-minute sojourn in the Cathedral City, and with accumulating numbers the gallant company occupied all available seats on one of the many express trains leaving that day for the South. Oamaru was the first dry township reached, but the sun shone merrily from then until we reached the Exhibition. Hospitality was awaiting the teams with open arms on the Dunedin station platform, and in less time than it took (subsequently) to get a turn on the Dodge-'ems, representatives were speeding homewards with their respective hosts.

Friday was spent in Exhibitioning (the nearest conceivable approach to "Wembling"), and a good deal else was spent at the same time. The forenoon was graced with an official welcome by the Mayor of Dunedin (Mr. H. L. Tapley, M.P.), and Mr. A. H. E. Molson, for the Imperial Debaters, and Mr. L. A. Tracy, for everyone else, replied effectively to His Worship's remarks.

Thereafter followed an official reception by the management of the Exhibition, with afternoon tea accompaniment; a motorcar ride on the Sunday afternoon, and a students' service at first Church in the evening; then tennis; athletics; debating (in which the number of participants exceeded, we believe, chat of any former years); more tennis; a little more Exhibition; a thrilling and gorgeous Tournament Ball, and then farewell.

The visiting teams, the Tournament Shield, the Joynt Scroll and the Athletic Shield set out for the north on Wednesday morning; the customary tears and anguish of parting were dispensed with. The guerilla warfare on the stations during the journey was sharp and decisive. A prominent Canterbury representative left the train at Ashburton, the Tournament Shield and the Joynt Scroll broke the journey at Christchurch, and shortly after dawn on Thursday the V.U.C. representatives blew into Port Nicholson in the good old time-honoured fashion, and dispersed swiftly to climb once more the hills of home.


From 1922 to 1925 the Athletic Shield was held by Otago, but this year we managed to wrest the coveted trophy from them. A particularly strong team was sent to Dunedin by Victoria, so that the victory was by no means an unexpected one. Last year misfortune dogged our footsteps, but this year, despite one or two surprises, the Shield came to Wellington.

The points for the Shield were as follows:—Victoria, 20; Otago, 14; Canterbury, 8; Auckland, 0.

Easter Monday dawned fine, but a cold wind was blowing across the field. Some very fine performances were witnessed, and considering the state of the ground, which was on the heavy page 26 side and the weather conditions generally, these were all the more meritorious. The University record of 10 secs, for the 100 Yards was equalled by Leadbeater. Jackson won the Mile Walk in 6 mins. 16 2-5 secs., breaking Mackenzie's record made at Christchurch last year. With the high jump bar at oft. 7 ins. Sceats was successful in lowering the High Jump record..

The starting in the sprint events left much to be desired, everyone except the V.U.C. men attempting to get a flying start; at least one was successful in the 100 Yards. Leadbetter captured both sprints, while Eastwood ran second in the 220 yards.

The middle-distance events provided two thrilling races. Our representatives, Smith and Allan, appeared to be out of the picture. However, both came away with beautiful bursts of speed about two hundred yards from home. Allan won the half and Smith the quarter mile.

The mile and three miles races provided rather a surprise for the Victoria supporters, for Priestley, going to the mark a hot favourite, ran second to Jordan in both events.

In the hurdles misfortune befell V.U.C. In the 120 yards Kalaugher fell when his chances of winning were very bright. Sceats ran second in the 440 yards event.

The relay race was a sore disappointment. We had held the cup for four years in succession, and required only another win to establish a record, but Otago opened up a big lead in the half mile, and although this was considerably reduced, we coult not get within striking distance.

We were somewhat consoled, however, by the fact that for the first time since the inauguration of the Tournament we won the tug-of-war. Otago beat Auckland and Victoria beat Canterbury. In the final pull Victoria beat Otago in two out of three pulls.


The Wellington boxers in each case were all triers and put up game and creditable performances; lack of training, however, was a noticeable feature, except in the case of Sceats, who was the fittest boxer in the tournament.

The general arrangements made in connection with the boxing reflect great credit on the Otago University, both preliminaries and finals were well staged, without any tiresome delays. If fault can be found with anything in particular, some criticism may be warranted in regard to the referee's control of the bouts. The referee's ruling in regard to in-fighting was very unusual and disturbing to the boxers, and in some cases appeared to be quite unfair. When perfectly legitimate in-fighting was indulged in, his repeated warnings were particularly annoying, handicapped the boxer and on quite a number of occasions prevented good exhibitions.

Hunn put up a good game fight, but was unfortunate in meeting a more rugged and experienced opponent. Although beaten, Hunn was not disgraced.

Richardson, who met a very good exponent of the manly art in Les Cotter, fought very well, but failed to get the decision through not leading. When Richardson develops a more aggressive style of fighting he will be a hard man to beat.

page 27

Desmond, although suffering from a sprained ankle and a severe attack of the "flu," agreed to box and do his best under the circumstances. In the preliminaries Desmond met Eacles (A.U.C.) and although Eacles fought very gamely, Desmond outpointed him by a wide margin. In the evening Desmond met Petre, and in spite of lack of vitality due to the "flu," Desmond gave a very clever exhibition of boxing. Great surprise was evidenced when Petre was given the decision.

Sceats was the surprise of the tournament, and although pitted against boxers possessing good reputations, he was successful in winning the middleweight championship. In the preliminary, Sceats met a really first-class fighter in Batchelor (O.U.). The Wellington rep., however, soon had Batchelor in difficulties through the medium of a pile-driving right. The Otago man fought a really good up-hill battle, but Sceats won with a good deal to spare. In the final bout Sceats met a very awkward boxer; he gained the decision, however, without much difficulty.

Platts-Mills met a very tough customer and hard-hitter in Burrows, and even though he did not receive the decision, there was very little to choose between the boxers at the conclusion of the bout. Great praise is due to Platts-Mills for splendid form displayed against such a dangerous and experienced fighter.


On Monday evening the Allen Hall, Otago University, was filled by students and members of the public in honour of the Annual Debate for the Joynt Scroll.

The subject was, "That racial equality within the British Empire is a desirable end." The Judges were the Hon. C. E. Statham, M.P., the Rev. Tulloch Yuille, M.A., B.D., and Mr. H. E. Barraclough, LL.B., and the Mayor of Dunedin, Mr. H. L. Tapley, M.P., occupied the Chair.

The first debate was between Victoria, on whose behalf Mr. W. P. Rollings and Mr. R. M. Campbell affirmed the motion, and Otago, which was represented by Mr. A. H. McClintock and Miss M. Todhunter. Mr. Rollings was greeted with a volley of applause, which continued for some minutes, and was resumed shortly after the commencement of his speech. He explained that a large majority of the world's population, belonged to the coloured races, and the suggestion was that these peoples should eventually control their own destinies. A portion of the audience was seemingly convinced at this stage and evinced no particular keenness to hear further argument. Mr. Rollings's remarks closed, as they had opened, in vociferous applause. Mr. McClintock announced that his opponent had completely misconstrued the subject of the debate. Intermarriage was one of the necessary consequences of racial equality, and no attempt had been made to justify that. The speaker foreshadowed general chaos and confusion if ever a measure of racial equality was reached; he, too, was warmly applauded at various intervals throughout his address. Mr. Campbell met with a more appreciative reception than either of his predecessors, and had page 28 perforce to administer his gospel to his hearers in small acid doses, which were lavishly honeyed by the performers in the audience. The present state of relationships between the white man and his coloured brother was, like charity, twice cursed: it blighted both patron and patronised. The speaker intendeed to deal more particularly with the effect on the white man, the overlord. At just about this stage the chairman's bell added its vigorous tinkle to the general uproar, and after a brief attempt to overcome their combined effect, Mr. Campbell desisted. Miss Todhunter then rose silently in her place and gazed penetratingly upon the audience for some minutes. She proceeded to wind up the debate by a general criticism of her opponents, and announced her lack of faith in the coloured man's ability to reach the standard of the white man. The disintegration of the British Empire was also probable if the motion were approved of.

In opening the second debate, Mr. Leonard, of Auckland, placed himself in a judicious position near the dividing fence. All racial talents and characterists were to be employed in cooperation: nevertheless it was dangerous and ill-advised to give immediate enfranchisement. The white man's role as a ruler (which words could scarcely overpraise) was challenged, and India demanded self-government, in addition to good government. As risings might occur, costing millions of pounds to quell, it was advisable to commence a movement towards racial equality. Mr. Leonard concluded a well-managed speech with an effective quotation from Winston Churchill. Canterbury's first speaker, Mr. Haslam, indicted Mr. Leonard for evasion of the point. He pictured his opponents, in pursuance of their motion, entering into the bonds of matrimony with a Hottentot woman, and declared that the resultant offspring would be "a living chaos." In retort to an interjection, "Is there much water in the Avon now?" Mr. Haslam repeated the moss-covered reference to a certain painful disease of the brain. While Mr. Butler described the British Empire's unique position and responsibilities guardian of many a national welfare, the occupants of the back of the Hall returned to their genial task of enlivening the proceedings. The speaker declared that the average schoolboy—(prolonged and enthusiastic applause). There was a popular song, "Let the rest of the world go by "—(Audience much taken with said song). Canterbury owed a large debt to Mr. Brassington, who battled on bravely, facing fearful odds, and was perhaps of all the speakers the least perturbed by interjectors. lie implored his hearers not to pursue a will o' the wisp that would lead to the destruction of the British Empire. He too, foresaw a state of chaos where different races attempted to live in unison, as two separate codes of law would then be essential. In short, racial equality was a chimera.

The Judges as usual reserved their decision and retired to consider it. They returned in due course and stood in a dejected manner about the middle of the Hall while the chairman received the results by private messenger and announced them to the audience. Canterbury won the Joynt Scroll; Mr. N. A. Leonard was the best speaker.

page 29


The Tennis Championships were commenced on Saturday morning at the University courts, in beautiful weather. Dunedin, however, was determined to give the Wellington visitors an opportunity of experiencing its vagaries of weather, and play had to be abandoned in the afternoon on account of rain. The rain had held off long enough to allow nearly all the eliminating rounds to be concluded. The semi-finals and finals were played at the Otago Club's courts on Tuesday, when some very fine contests were witnessed.

Victoria's team this year was not a brilliant one, but it was a solid all-round team. During the tournament the team acquitted itself well, and was well up to the standard of the other competing teams.

The play in the Men's Singles was the best of the series. In the first round, R. Ferkins was too good for J. Watson (O.U.), while B. R. O'Brien accounted for L. R. Chisholm (O.U.). The semi-finals saw W. R. Robinson (C.U.C.) defeat O'Brien. This game was a very good one, both men driving hard, with good placements. Ferkins was too steady for V. N. Hubble (A.U.C.), although in the first set the Auckland man played well. The final thus lay between Robinson and Ferkins, and resulted in a win for the former in straight sets. In the first set Robinson used a powerful forehand drive with excellent effect, while Perkins's drive lacked length, and he was slow in coming to the net. In the second set Ferkins opened out, and by good net play led 4—3. Robinson, however, was equal to the occasion, taking three games in a row, and the match, 6—1, 6—4.

From Victoria's point of view the Men's Doubles was the most disappointing event. Both our pairs retired in the first round. Ferkins-Paul went down to Mercer-Chisholm (O.U.), while O'Brien-Burns were defeated by Turner-Hubble (A.U.C.). The final, between Fulton-Watson (O.U.) and Robinson-Loughnan (C.U.C.) was the best game of the tournament. Otago did not play up to form in the first set, but in the second set they combined well, and their volleying was very effective. The last set was very exciting, the team work on both sides arousing great enthusiasm in the large gallery present. The Canterbury men won out at 6—4.

Miss E. Partridge (C.U.C.) won the Ladies' Singles. She was fully extended in the first round by Miss Madeley (V.U.C.). Miss Sheppard (V.U.C.) played very well in this event, and was perhaps unlucky not to reach the final. She accounted for Miss Saunders (C.U.C.) in the first round, but then went out to Miss E. Miller (A.U.C.) after a long three-set match.

Misses Sheppard-Madeley (V.U.C.) won their first game in the Ladies' Doubles, but then went out to Misses Partridge-Saunders (A.U.C.), who ultimately won the event. Our second string, Misses Goodwin-Metcalfe, did not survive their first match.

The Combined Doubles provided some very interesting games. It was apparent, however, that our standard of play in this branch was not up to that of the Southerners. The root of the trouble seemed to be lack of combination in our teams. Ferkins page 30 Miss Sheppard had a good win from Watson-Miss Duthie (O.U.) in the first round, but found Loughnan-Miss Partridge (C.U.C.) too tough a proposition in the second round. Our second pair, Burns-Miss Madeley, went out to Fulton-Miss Ballantyne in the first round.

Thus the Tennis Shield again went to Canterbury, they having won every event. This decisive win in tennis placed the issue of the Tournament Shield beyond doubt. We congratulate C.U.C. on their splendid performance.

Haslam Shield Competition.

In this competition the Rifle Team put up a very disappointing performance. After the success of the team in the Imperial Universities Competition a good result was expected when the Haslam Shield was shot for, but the team failed to live up to its reputation. There was a certain amount of difficulty in getting the Range when it was wanted, and a good deal of delay owing to the Wellington Rifle Association's annual meeting, and this resulted in the team having to fire the match without much practice, but this fact is not sufficient excuse for the team putting up such a poor showing.

The day on which the match was fired was ideal for shooting, good light and very little wind. The shooting arrangements were under the supervision of Lieut. Sugden, whose experience in range supervision helped very much in getting through the various practices without a hitch.

Individual scores in the match were:—
Bollard, H. F. 112
Hislop, T. 112
Parker, C. E. 108
O'Connor, R. 107
Ainslie, A. 103
Macarthur, I. 96
Harris, W. 83
Bertram, I. 82

V.U.C. well done prof! ave atque vale macte virtute