Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Spike or Victoria University College Review June 1925

Tournament Delegates

Tournament Delegates.

  • R. R. T. Young
  • F. H. Paul

The Aucklanders arrived in Wellington at mid-day on Thursday, and were carried per medium of the Bell buses to a sumptuous (we hope) repast at the Y.M.C.A. The majority of our team went south with the Aucklanders on Thursday night. The weather behaved itself, the noble ship breasted the waves in splendid fashion and the team reached Christchurch intact. On the station of that fair city the arduous task of assigning billetees to billeters was carried out more or less expeditiously, in spite of interference on the part of the police.

The visitors were allowed Friday to acclimatise themselves, and to see the sights, while those of our tennis representatives who so desired were given permission to use the Avonside Club Courts.

page 18

On Saturday the real business of the tournament commenced, or at least part of the scheduled programme was entered upon. According to the programme we were to be accorded a reception at 9.30 at the Canterbury College Courts, Hagley Park, and at 10 a.m. the Tennis Championships were to be commenced. The gods, however, decreed otherwise, and although the reception took place, the commencement of the tennis had to be postponed until the following Monday morning. All things have their compensations, however, and in this case some tennis representatives were able to see the boxing preliminaries, who would not, otherwise, have been able to do so. On the other hand, the necessity of playing tennis on the Monday prevented many enthusiasts from being spectators of the athletic contests. Alas for "Wikitoria," the preliminary rounds of the Boxing Championships were the only ones in which our representatives took any active interest.

On Sunday there was a special service in the Cathedral, conducted by the Archbishop of New Zealand, and during the afternoon the visiting teams were taken for a motor drive through Sumner, Lyttelton, Governor's Bay, and so home by way of Dyer's Pass Road.

Monday was a busy day. Tennis and Athletics filled the daylight hours, while in the evening the debate is supposed to have taken place. As usual, this contest was subjected to several interruptions. The interjections may have been witty—we cannot say, as they were so numerous as to make it impossible to distinguish any particular one, while the gramophone "stunt" was distinctly overworked.

Tuesday saw the conclusion of most of the Tennis Championships, and in the evening came the Ball, which beggared description. And so, on Wednesday—sad farewells, and the return journey commenced, culminating on Thursday morning when we arrived in Wellington to be welcomed in tearful fashion by the weather, no doubt on account of our lowly position in the race for the Tournament Shield.