Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Spike or Victoria University College Review June 1925

Football Club

Football Club.

" And when thyself with shining foot shall pass
Among the guests star-scatter'd on the grass
And in thy joyous errand reach the spot
Where I made one—turn down an empty glass!

Omar Khayyam.

At the date of our going to press the Club's prospects seem to be particularly bright, and though we touch wood while saying it, there appears to be an excellent chance of the senior team winning the local competition It is perhaps too soon, so to speak, but a worderful spirit of optimism pervades the Club and its numerous and generous supporters, and while undeniably the majority of the matches won by the senior team have been against the weaker teams, yet it is significant that contrary to all tradition, so far (the "saving clause ") the team has played consistently, especially when the odds seemed against it.

page 61

With a team of younger players with a sprinkling of those with thinning hair, the Club seems to be full of dashing players who have shown Saturday after Saturday a very pleasing team-spirit and combination. This is true not only of the senior team, but also of all the others; in spite of vacation difficulties and the handicap of distant grounds even the emergencies turn up regularly. It is sincerely hoped that this spirit will continue to be so much in evidence.

This year the Club has put in the field one team more than last year, and although the proposed College grade competitions unfortunately did not eventuate, the team which would have played therein has been entered in the third grade competition and has done well to keep up the high standard set by the teams in the higher grades.

The College first fifteen also is to be congratulated on being the only College team to defeat the Sydney University visiting team. In the three tests between Sydney University and New Zealand Universities the College was well represented, the following members of the senior team playing in the N.Z. University team: H. N. Burns (1st), R. H. C. Mackenzie (2nd and 3rd), J. O. J. Malfroy (2nd and 3rd), P. Martin-Smith (2nd and 3rd), C. O'Regan (1st, 2nd and 3rd), Sceats (1st), and E. Walpole (1st). The captain of the senior team, P. Martin-Smith, who was not available for the first test, captained the second test team and was vice-captain of the third test team.

Two teams again have been entered in the Junior Competition, and in spite of the constant call of the Seniors on members of the Junior A team, that team is doing very well indeed. Both teams seem to be improving as the season progresses. Similarly with the Third Grade Competition, both teams are settling down well.

A newspaper report of the match against Sydney University, played on Athletic Park on Wednesday, the 20th May, is appended, as also are the results of the Senior Grade matches to date.

V. Sydney.

The teams were:—

Sydney University: Full-back, Williams; three-quarters, Johnston, Andrew, M'Dermott, Tilbury; halves, Lamport and Pratt; forwards, Waddington, Todhunter, O'Dea. Storey, Flynn, Hingst, Garratt, Wiseman.

Victoria University College: Full-back, Marks; three-quarters, Malfroy, Kells, Sceats; five-eighths. Walpole, Love; half, Hart; wing-forward, M'Kenzie; forwards, M'William, O'Regan, Burns, Martin-Smith, Joll, Pope, Wiren.

'Varsity won the toss, and took the wind. Sydney followed up their kick-off in lively fashion, and it was soon seen that they had plenty of speed. After a brief spell of even loose exchanges on both sides of the half-way line, Sydney opened up the first passing movement, out from Pratt to Johnston, who failed to take a difficult delivery. The Sydney forwards followed up, and had the better of the footwork. Sceats just managed to force in time. The kick-off did not get far, and 'Varsity were soon again in danger. Pratt opened up his favourite blind side from a scrum, and M'Dermott sent on to Johnston, who scored at the corner. Andrews failed with a difficult kick. Sydney, 3; Victoria College, 0.

The local men were spurred by this early reverse, and began a determined attack. Sydney were penalised for playing the ball on the ground, and O'Regan had an unsuccessful shot at goal. The return kick was charged down, and Malfroy, securing possession, made a good run down the line, and transferring to Walpole, enabled that player to score a good try. O'Regan converted handsomely. 'Varsity, 5; Sydney, 3.

After a breakaway by Lambert and Pratt had been sent back, 'Varsity resumed the attack, and Williams, the Sydney full-back, beaten by the bounce of a long kick to him, slipped, and was overwhelmed by the Green forwards. Malfroy and Walpole picked up, and carried on, and Martin-Smith completed with a good try by the posts. O'Regan easily converted. Varsity, 10; Sydney, 3.

It was not long before the score was enhanced by a penalty goal, kicked by O'Regan. 13-3. Sydney now got going, and, succeeding in the scrums and in loose play, made much headway. McDermott, the most conspicuous of the Sydney backs, was nearly over from a pass round the scrum. The advantage of position was followed up, and a splendid try came from an opening by Hingst, who gave the ball to Lamport. The outside half sidled through the defence and touched down by the posts. page 62 Williams kicked a goal. Half-time followed almost immediately with the score: 'Varsity, 13; Sydney, 8.

Expectations of a close finish were disappointed. The visitors found themselves too tired by the vigorous first spell to take full advantage of the wind in their favour in the second half. Play on the whole at this point was rather dull, and it was not till a great break-away of the Sydney forwards saw Waddington held up on the line, and a return raid by the Greens in their best style, backs and forwards handling the ball with equal facility transferred play right to the other end that the crowd waxed enthusiastic. Malfroy and Kells were the last to handle the ball, and Kells was just tackled in time. A moment later Malfroy tried the other wing, and was just crowded out. M'Dermott, with a great kick, transferred play back to Varsity twenty-five. Here, behind a line-out, he dummied brilliantly, and gave Tilbury a chance with Andrews of scoring. Andrews took the final pass badly. 'Varsity cleared their territory, and a sweeping combined rush was topped off with a fine run by Walpole, who was brought down with an ankle dive by Johnston. Kells took up the running with a clever scoop off the ground, and scored near the corner. O'Regan failed with the kick. The game ended with a win for the local team, 16-8.

Mr. J. Moffitt was referee.

Senior Grade.

V. Old Boys, April 18th. Won—11-5. Mackenzie and Foden scored tries and O'Regan converted one.

V. Hutt, May 2nd. Won—8-3. Love scored a try, converted by O'Regan, who also kicked a penalty.

V. Oriental, May 9th. Won—19-16. Walpole, Martin-Smith and Sceats (2) scored tries and O'Regan kicked a penalty and converted two tries.

V. Selwyn, May 16th. Won, 45-3. Walpole, Malfroy (2). Sceats, Kells, Martin-Smith (3), Joll (2), and O'Regan scored tries. Conversions were effected by O'Regan (2), Kells (2), Bird and Love.

V. Wellington, May 23rd. Won, 11-3. Marks scored two tries and converted one. Jackson scored one try.

V. Berhampore, May 30th. Won, 18-10. Love, Walpole. Joll, Sceats. Foden (2), scored tries, none of which were converted.

The results of matches in other grades will be published in the next issue of "The Spike."